_ _ _ _
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: UL looking to extend Marlin's contract

1. UL Basketball UL looking to extend Marlin's contract

The Ragin' Cajuns intend to extend the contact of UL basketball coach Bob Marlin, Cajuns athletic director Bryan Maggard told The Daily Advertiser.

Marlin, who just completed his eighth season in charge of the program, was named 2017-18 Sun Belt Conference Coach of the Year.

His current deal with UL runs through the end of the 2019-20 season.

cajun4life is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: UL looking to extend Marlin's contract

Can we just play the wait and see game?

Noooooooo

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    Can we just play the wait and see game?
    1-NCAA appearance in eight years. Oh yeah! He deserves an extension. Maggards first bad decision. Finish out your existing contract and make a decision then.

Blog Entries

Lower the base, lower the buyout, raise the incentives.

I'm for it.

Well this should be interesting lol

Quote Originally Posted by no1cajunfan View Post
    1-NCAA appearance in eight years. Oh yeah! He deserves an extension. Maggards first bad decision. Finish out your existing contract and make a decision then.
    27-7

This is actually the first time I think he deserves a contract extension. Conference championship is much more impressive than going .500 and winning 3 games in March. It shouldn't have taken him 8 years but championships should be rewarded, if they aren't why strive for them?

I agree with crazycajun. He proved it this year. Granted the end sucked but he should have a 2 to 3 year window with the talent he has and whats coming in.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    This is actually the first time I think he deserves a contract extension. Conference championship is much more impressive than going .500 and winning 3 games in March. It shouldn't have taken him 8 years but championships should be rewarded, if they aren't why strive for them?
    I would tend to agree with you. While I don't think he is that good of a coach, he did have a successful season and should be rewarded for it. However, I do think the record from this past season is a little misleading. When he played some higher caliber teams, he got his ___ handed to him, which has pretty much been the case since he has been the coach. But, based on the record and the conference championship, he deserves an extension.

Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by anhil8tor View Post
    I agree with crazycajun. He proved it this year. Granted the end sucked but he should have a 2 to 3 year window with the talent he has and whats coming in.
    .....talked to a McN b-ball coach yesterday and they are Transfer U with the new coach.....they might be Very good.... he thinks so!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    27-7
    What quality team did he beat last year? Or any year for that matter. 1-NCAA appearance in 8 years is unacceptable no matter what your record is. The goal each and every year is to make it to the Big Dance which he has failed to do. For 500k a year we should expect and demand better. He has 2 years left on his contract. What if he flops the next 2 years...now we have to find more money to buy out his extension?

The long con...continues.

I think in basketball & football contracts can be important from a recruiting standpoint as well. If there is even a hint that a coach might not be around for the long haul others are going to use it against you. I don't think it is as relevant in other sports.

I can see both sides but an extension at this stage shouldn't be a huge shock to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by no1cajunfan View Post
    What quality team did he beat last year? Or any year for that matter. 1-NCAA appearance in 8 years is unacceptable no matter what your record is. The goal each and every year is to make it to the Big Dance which he has failed to do. For 500k a year we should expect and demand better. He has 2 years left on his contract. What if he flops the next 2 years...now we have to find more money to buy out his extension?
    https://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...a-ragin-cajuns

27-7 with a SOS of 206 & 0 wins against top 100 teams is nothing to be proud of

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post

Question, what if Dr. Maggard extends his contract for several more years with a slight increase in salary, but gets a lower buyout in return? Would that not be beneficial to the athletic program? I'm willing to wait for the details at this point, I don't see Dr. Maggard not doing something that would benefit both parties.JMO

Exactly!! Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Question, what if Dr. Maggard extends his contract for several more years with a slight increase in salary, but gets a lower buyout in return? Would that not be beneficial to the athletic program? I'm willing to wait for the details at this point, I don't see Dr. Maggard not doing something that would benefit both parties.JMO
    I'm with you on this one.

I think it all depends on:
    A) How many years is this extension?
    B) What is the salary and buyout?
    C) How are the incentives treated in the contract?

I trust that Maggard will find a way to make a good negotiation.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    2 years around 475k I would be ok with ..

He should not be making more than Gap tooth Hunter

CajunAmos is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

2 years around 475k I would be ok with ..

He should not be making more than Gap tooth Hunter
    Pretty sure he makes more than that now. He signed a new contract in 2015 with a base salary of $180K but compensation of $455K in the first year with an annual raise of $25K for each year of the five year agreement which would run through the 2019-2020 season. If I'm adding correctly, after the third year (last) he would have been making $530K. That would mean next year would be $555K and the final year would be $580K.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast