_ _ _ _
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: UL looking to extend Marlin's contract

  1. UL Basketball UL looking to extend Marlin's contract

    The Ragin' Cajuns intend to extend the contact of UL basketball coach Bob Marlin, Cajuns athletic director Bryan Maggard told The Daily Advertiser.

    Marlin, who just completed his eighth season in charge of the program, was named 2017-18 Sun Belt Conference Coach of the Year.

    His current deal with UL runs through the end of the 2019-20 season.



  2. #2
    cajun4life's Avatar
    cajun4life is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    6,746

    Default Re: UL looking to extend Marlin's contract

    Can we just play the wait and see game?


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    5,219

    Default Re: UL looking to extend Marlin's contract

    Noooooooo


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    384

    Default Re: UL looking to extend Marlin's contract

    Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    Can we just play the wait and see game?
    1-NCAA appearance in eight years. Oh yeah! He deserves an extension. Maggards first bad decision. Finish out your existing contract and make a decision then.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    21,295
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: UL looking to extend Marlin's contract

    Lower the base, lower the buyout, raise the incentives.

    I'm for it.


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,502

    Default Re: UL looking to extend Marlin's contract

    Well this should be interesting lol


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,523

    Default Re: UL looking to extend Marlin's contract

    Quote Originally Posted by no1cajunfan View Post
    1-NCAA appearance in eight years. Oh yeah! He deserves an extension. Maggards first bad decision. Finish out your existing contract and make a decision then.
    27-7

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    lafayette
    Posts
    11,961

    Default Re: UL looking to extend Marlin's contract

    This is actually the first time I think he deserves a contract extension. Conference championship is much more impressive than going .500 and winning 3 games in March. It shouldn't have taken him 8 years but championships should be rewarded, if they aren't why strive for them?


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,995

    Default Re: UL looking to extend Marlin's contract

    I agree with crazycajun. He proved it this year. Granted the end sucked but he should have a 2 to 3 year window with the talent he has and whats coming in.


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    3,089

    Default Re: UL looking to extend Marlin's contract

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    This is actually the first time I think he deserves a contract extension. Conference championship is much more impressive than going .500 and winning 3 games in March. It shouldn't have taken him 8 years but championships should be rewarded, if they aren't why strive for them?
    I would tend to agree with you. While I don't think he is that good of a coach, he did have a successful season and should be rewarded for it. However, I do think the record from this past season is a little misleading. When he played some higher caliber teams, he got his ___ handed to him, which has pretty much been the case since he has been the coach. But, based on the record and the conference championship, he deserves an extension.

  11. #11
    Boomer's Avatar
    Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    19,534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anhil8tor View Post
    I agree with crazycajun. He proved it this year. Granted the end sucked but he should have a 2 to 3 year window with the talent he has and whats coming in.
    .....talked to a McN b-ball coach yesterday and they are Transfer U with the new coach.....they might be Very good.... he thinks so!!!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    384

    Default Re: UL looking to extend Marlin's contract

    Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    27-7
    What quality team did he beat last year? Or any year for that matter. 1-NCAA appearance in 8 years is unacceptable no matter what your record is. The goal each and every year is to make it to the Big Dance which he has failed to do. For 500k a year we should expect and demand better. He has 2 years left on his contract. What if he flops the next 2 years...now we have to find more money to buy out his extension?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    16,720

    Default Re: UL looking to extend Marlin's contract

    The long con...continues.


  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    4,214

    Default Re: UL looking to extend Marlin's contract

    I think in basketball & football contracts can be important from a recruiting standpoint as well. If there is even a hint that a coach might not be around for the long haul others are going to use it against you. I don't think it is as relevant in other sports.

    I can see both sides but an extension at this stage shouldn't be a huge shock to anyone.


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    5,219

    Default Re: UL looking to extend Marlin's contract

    Quote Originally Posted by no1cajunfan View Post
    What quality team did he beat last year? Or any year for that matter. 1-NCAA appearance in 8 years is unacceptable no matter what your record is. The goal each and every year is to make it to the Big Dance which he has failed to do. For 500k a year we should expect and demand better. He has 2 years left on his contract. What if he flops the next 2 years...now we have to find more money to buy out his extension?
    https://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...a-ragin-cajuns

    27-7 with a SOS of 206 & 0 wins against top 100 teams is nothing to be proud of

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    10,211
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: UL looking to extend Marlin's contract

    Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    https://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...a-ragin-cajuns

    27-7 with a SOS of 206 & 0 wins against top 100 teams is nothing to be proud of
    Question, what if Dr. Maggard extends his contract for several more years with a slight increase in salary, but gets a lower buyout in return? Would that not be beneficial to the athletic program? I'm willing to wait for the details at this point, I don't see Dr. Maggard not doing something that would benefit both parties.JMO

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    384

    Default Re: UL looking to extend Marlin's contract

    Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    https://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...a-ragin-cajuns

    27-7 with a SOS of 206 & 0 wins against top 100 teams is nothing to be proud of
    Exactly!! Thank you

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,381

    Default Re: UL looking to extend Marlin's contract

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Question, what if Dr. Maggard extends his contract for several more years with a slight increase in salary, but gets a lower buyout in return? Would that not be beneficial to the athletic program? I'm willing to wait for the details at this point, I don't see Dr. Maggard not doing something that would benefit both parties.JMO
    I'm with you on this one.

    I think it all depends on:
    A) How many years is this extension?
    B) What is the salary and buyout?
    C) How are the incentives treated in the contract?

    I trust that Maggard will find a way to make a good negotiation.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    5,219

    Default Re: UL looking to extend Marlin's contract

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Question, what if Dr. Maggard extends his contract for several more years with a slight increase in salary, but gets a lower buyout in return? Would that not be beneficial to the athletic program? I'm willing to wait for the details at this point, I don't see Dr. Maggard not doing something that would benefit both parties.JMO
    2 years around 475k I would be ok with ..


    He should not be making more than Gap tooth Hunter

  20. #20
    CajunAmos's Avatar
    CajunAmos is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    6,392

    Default Re: UL looking to extend Marlin's contract

    Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    2 years around 475k I would be ok with ..


    He should not be making more than Gap tooth Hunter
    Pretty sure he makes more than that now. He signed a new contract in 2015 with a base salary of $180K but compensation of $455K in the first year with an annual raise of $25K for each year of the five year agreement which would run through the 2019-2020 season. If I'm adding correctly, after the third year (last) he would have been making $530K. That would mean next year would be $555K and the final year would be $580K.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •