_ _ _ _
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25
Results 481 to 484 of 484

Thread: Baseball Coach or Life Coach

  1. #481
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,902

    Default Re: Baseball Coach or Life Coach

    So did I miss the JT being fired or are we interviewing and hiring based on a think he will be?


  2. #482
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,967

    Default Re: Baseball Coach or Life Coach

    Quote Originally Posted by anhil8tor View Post
    So did I miss the JT being fired or are we interviewing and hiring based on a think he will be?
    For now, I would say it's just assuming IF we were to either let go/move JT.

  3. #483
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    LAFAYETTE, LA
    Posts
    703

    Default Re: Baseball Coach or Life Coach

    I'm not much of a baseball nut nor do I have time to follow the Cajuns baseball team anywhere near like what most of you can. So I have a few questions:

    1. What's the story on Anthony Babineaux? He has been with the staff forever, is he even in contention for assuming Robe's position when he retires?

    2. Aren't there any great hitting coaches who just simply don't desire to be a head coach that we can attract?

    3. Would Deggs not come back for a hitting coach position if guaranteed to take Robe's position when he retires?


  4. #484
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    604

    Default Re: Baseball Coach or Life Coach

    1. Perhaps. Depends on who you talk to.

    2. Maybe. But there aren't many coaches that don't aspire to run his own program.

    3. No. None.


  5. #485
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    3,029

    Default Re: Baseball Coach or Life Coach

    Quote Originally Posted by BananaHammock View Post
    I'm not much of a baseball nut nor do I have time to follow the Cajuns baseball team anywhere near like what most of you can. So I have a few questions:

    1. What's the story on Anthony Babineaux? He has been with the staff forever, is he even in contention for assuming Robe's position when he retires?

    2. Aren't there any great hitting coaches who just simply don't desire to be a head coach that we can attract?

    3. Would Deggs not come back for a hitting coach position if guaranteed to take Robe's position when he retires?
    1. Absolutely not.

    2. It would be extremely rare, but there are exceptions to the majority of coaches with aspirations of running their own program.

    3. Interesting question that only Matt Deggs knows the answer to. But I know Deggs would love to be the head coach at UL.

  6. #486
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    6,789

    Default Re: Baseball Coach or Life Coach

    Quote Originally Posted by lifetimecajun View Post
    We don't need to be hiring a mid level juco coach either
    I don't know. Remember that Rice hired a Juco coach who had won several national championships and look what he did for them. Of course, he was hired as a head coach. Then again, we lured the HC at SLU to be a Defensive Coordinator, so you never know what someone might do. Eunice is not that far from Lafayette, so that might not be an issue. This guy must be doing something right over there.

  7. #487
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,906

    Default Re: Baseball Coach or Life Coach

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    I don't know. Remember that Rice hired a Juco coach who had won several national championships and look what he did for them. Of course, he was hired as a head coach. Then again, we lured the HC at SLU to be a Defensive Coordinator, so you never know what someone might do. Eunice is not that far from Lafayette, so that might not be an issue. This guy must be doing something right over there.
    Rice hired a head coach from Blinn. Apples and oranges compared to lsue in my opinion.

  8. #488
    CajunAmos's Avatar
    CajunAmos is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    6,204

    Default Re: Baseball Coach or Life Coach

    Quote Originally Posted by BananaHammock View Post
    I'm not much of a baseball nut nor do I have time to follow the Cajuns baseball team anywhere near like what most of you can. So I have a few questions:

    1. What's the story on Anthony Babineaux? He has been with the staff forever, is he even in contention for assuming Robe's position when he retires?

    2. Aren't there any great hitting coaches who just simply don't desire to be a head coach that we can attract?

    3. Would Deggs not come back for a hitting coach position if guaranteed to take Robe's position when he retires?
    1. Not likely. JMO

    2. Yes. It worked with coach Szefc and we should be able to find someone from either a lower level team who wants some experience at a higher level program or someone who lost a HC or assistant job at a high level program who is looking for a second chance.

    3. I know Degg's salary at SHSU for 2018 was $300K so it's not likely he'd give up a head coach to come back as the hitting coach in line for the Cajuns HC position for less money than he's making right now.

  9. #489
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    6,789

    Default Re: Baseball Coach or Life Coach

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    1. Not likely. JMO

    2. Yes. It worked with coach Szefc and we should be able to find someone from either a lower level team who wants some experience at a higher level program or someone who lost a HC or assistant job at a high level program who is looking for a second chance.

    3. I know Degg's salary at SHSU for 2018 was $300K so it's not likely he'd give up a head coach to come back as the hitting coach in line for the Cajuns HC position for less money than he's making right now.
    Is SHSU paying more than UL for a head baseball coach? If so, that is sad.

  10. #490
    CajunAmos's Avatar
    CajunAmos is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    6,204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    Is SHSU paying more than UL for a head baseball coach? If so, that is sad.
    Yep

  11. #491
    wcd35's Avatar
    wcd35 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    8,327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    1. Not likely. JMO

    2. Yes. It worked with coach Szefc and we should be able to find someone from either a lower level team who wants some experience at a higher level program or someone who lost a HC or assistant job at a high level program who is looking for a second chance.

    3. I know Degg's salary at SHSU for 2018 was $300K so it's not likely he'd give up a head coach to come back as the hitting coach in line for the Cajuns HC position for less money than he's making right now.
    I cant find his contract but they publish his annual salary at about $130,000. I'm sure there are things to make up the full salary like we do with the foundation, but don't know how much more. It's possible

    http://www.shsu.edu/~sms049/FY%202017.xlsx

  12. #492
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    812

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    Is SHSU paying more than UL for a head baseball coach? If so, that is sad.
    It's not sad. Our current coach has given up his leverage by admitting he doesn't want to coach anywhere else. Why should we pay more to keep him from leaving for another school when he won't leave for another school? SHSU is payin Deggs a lot in the hopes he stays when a big job opens up.

  13. #493
    CajunAmos's Avatar
    CajunAmos is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    6,204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wcd35 View Post
    I cant find his contract but they publish his annual salary at about $130,000. I'm sure there are things to make up the full salary like we do with the foundation, but don't know how much more. It's possible

    http://www.shsu.edu/~sms049/FY%202017.xlsx
    There was a similar 2018 spreadsheet which shows $300K.

  14. #494
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    694

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GeauxLouisiana View Post
    It's not sad. Our current coach has given up his leverage by admitting he doesn't want to coach anywhere else. Why should we pay more to keep him from leaving for another school when he won't leave for another school? SHSU is payin Deggs a lot in the hopes he stays when a big job opens up.
    I was involved in a long thread regarding your exact stance several months back...hold on tight...a great debate is coming...

  15. #495
    CajunVic is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,336

    Default Re: Baseball Coach or Life Coach

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunJeaux View Post
    I was involved in a long thread regarding your exact stance several months back...hold on tight...a great debate is coming...
    Well, it is obvious that Maggard did not negotiate the latest contract in February based upon the premise that Robe would not leave, has no leverage, so let's continue paying him as little as possible.

  16. #496
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,906

    Default Re: Baseball Coach or Life Coach

    Quote Originally Posted by GeauxLouisiana View Post
    It's not sad. Our current coach has given up his leverage by admitting he doesn't want to coach anywhere else. Why should we pay more to keep him from leaving for another school when he won't leave for another school? SHSU is payin Deggs a lot in the hopes he stays when a big job opens up.
    What difference does it make if he is seeking other jobs or remaining here. Pay the man what he's worth. Because he is not a resume sender makes no difference if the employer is worth its salt

  17. #497
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    2,732

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lifetimecajun View Post
    What difference does it make if he is seeking other jobs or remaining here. Pay the man what he's worth. Because he is not a resume sender makes no difference if the employer is worth its salt
    The man is worth what he'll take to continue doing the job. 23 years of success and he hasn't demanded more. This one is on him.

  18. #498
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    812

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lifetimecajun View Post
    What difference does it make if he is seeking other jobs or remaining here. Pay the man what he's worth. Because he is not a resume sender makes no difference if the employer is worth its salt
    Did Robe not sign the contract paying him what he thinks he's worth? If he thinks he's worth more than what we are paying him, wouldn't he try to get more? Wouldn't he try to find another place that would pay him what he's worth?

  19. #499
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    812

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    Well, it is obvious that Maggard did not negotiate the latest contract in February based upon the premise that Robe would not leave, has no leverage, so let's continue paying him as little as possible.
    It was negotiated because Glasco was making more than Robe. Now Robe makes more than Glasco.

    Robe must be good with what he's getting paid. If he wasn't good with it, why is he still here? Shouldn't he try to get more money elsewhere if he thinks he's worth more?

  20. #500
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    2,732

    Default Re: Baseball Coach or Life Coach

    What responsibilities does Bab have outside of scheduling and travel? Not meaning to be negative or positive. Just curious bc it seems other coaches cover the rest that I'm aware of.


Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15 21 22 23 24 25

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •