_ _ _ _
Page 9 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 713

Thread: Could the Ragin' Cajuns be getting a new football stadium?

  1. #161
    CajunAmos's Avatar
    CajunAmos is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    6,260

    Default Re: Could the Ragin' Cajuns be getting a new football stadium?

    Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    I spoke to an Architect today and this is what he told me.

    1)If you are making modifications to a building where the cost totals 50% or more of the cost of replacement you have to bring the entire structure up to current codes PROVIDED the Authority Having Jurisdiction over the project follows current codes. (Generally there are some exceptions to this however)

    2) If the Authority Having Jurisdiction is the State of Louisiana then there regulatory authority is the State of Louisiana Facilities and Planning. They typically do not follow the fifty percent rule. HOWEVER, anything that is an addition to an existing building (like the SEZ or additions to Tiger Stadium) have to meet current codes ESPECIALLY Life Safety Code (NFPA 101 etc) and Handicapped accessibility . I am thinking the additions to Tiger stadium have separate means of egress because the means of egress for the older portion of the stadium did not meet code or capacity requirements for the additions. Similar situation for the SEZ for Cajun field. The SEZ project had to meet all requirements for Life Safety Code and Handicapped requirements and CURRENT BUILDING CODES. That's why the slope of the stadium in that section is different from the rest of the stadium.

    Here comes the rub. Any renovation of Cajun Field (old section) is virtually impossible to bring to current codes because the stadium slope (and resulting step and aisle slope) and seat pitch requirements can't be met without total reconstruction. Big problem with aisle width and aisle handrails. Once concrete is in place it is not cast in stone but it's pretty damn close. The only thing that could possibly be done is to redo the press box and add some suites across the top. This could only be done provided somebody signs off on the supporting structure. This may or may not be a problem. We would pretty much have to leave the rest alone because that would involve total reconstruction which is not a viable option.
    Thanks. Do you think replacing the west bowl and upper deck (and do the east bowl at a later time) could be done more cost effectively than building a new stadium? Would your opinion be due to the codes that we go from new?

  2. #162
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Posts
    3,052

    Default Re: Could the Ragin' Cajuns be getting a new football stadium?

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    Thanks. Do you think replacing the west bowl and upper deck (and do the east bowl at a later time) could be done more cost effectively than building a new stadium? Would your opinion be due to the codes that we go from new?
    Facing the reality of the situation there are two possible things I see being done.

    1) Renovation of the existing press box and adding suites along the top of the stadium. They may be able to capture space under the upper deck for office space etc. this will help in the cost benefits ratio calculation in that the building would be used for more than just football and special events. This, I think would be the least expensive alternative.

    2) Build a new press box on the East side with suites and seating. Add office space under the structure. Demolish existing west side upper deck.

    Any thing else would just cost too much. That is my opinion and as Dirty Harry said "Opinions are like _____ holes. everybody has one."

  3. #163
    CajunAmos's Avatar
    CajunAmos is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    6,260

    Default Re: Could the Ragin' Cajuns be getting a new football stadium?

    Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    Facing the reality of the situation there are two possible things I see being done.

    1) Renovation of the existing press box and adding suites along the top of the stadium. They may be able to capture space under the upper deck for office space etc. this will help in the cost benefits ratio calculation in that the building would be used for more than just football and special events. This, I think would be the least expensive alternative.

    2) Build a new press box on the East side with suites and seating. Add office space under the structure. Demolish existing west side upper deck.

    Any thing else would just cost too much. That is my opinion and as Dirty Harry said "Opinions are like _____ holes. everybody has one."
    So option 1 would use the existing structure to support the additions?

    I wouldn't want to sell the suites for option 2 unless you could guarantee all night games. I wouldn't want to be looking into an afternoon sun on Saturday afternoons, but that's just me (not that I could afford one anyway).

  4. #164
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Posts
    3,052

    Default Re: Could the Ragin' Cajuns be getting a new football stadium?

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    So option 1 would use the existing structure to support the additions?

    I wouldn't want to sell the suites for option 2 unless you could guarantee all night games. I wouldn't want to be looking into an afternoon sun on Saturday afternoons, but that's just me (not that I could afford one anyway).
    Existing structure retained provided it is found to be structurally sound.

    The sun is why they put the press box on the west side.

  5. #165
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Opelousas, LA
    Posts
    1,559

    Default Re: Could the Ragin' Cajuns be getting a new football stadium?

    Could we build a stand alone pressbox structure on the west side and demolish the current pressbox?


  6. #166
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,204

    Default Re: Could the Ragin' Cajuns be getting a new football stadium?

    Think all these options are better than trying to build a new stadium.

    It seems weird that if we are making improvements, that tearing down the upper deck and putting it up to code, with new press box and suites would not be allowed, but building the press box and suites on top of the existing structure as long it is structurally sound is allowed?


  7. #167
    cajun4life's Avatar
    cajun4life is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    6,559

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragin9221 View Post
    Well think all of these options is better than trying to build a new stadium.
    No way! We should absolutely build a new stadium that is very close in design to BVAA in Houston. Something that is very unique and incorporates the atmosphere of euro soccer by design.

  8. #168
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    No way! We should absolutely build a new stadium that is very close in design to BVAA in Houston. Something that is very unique and incorporates the atmosphere of euro soccer by design.
    Stadium can seat only 22,000 at 101 million. I know you saying we might be able to get away with a 30,000 seat stadium with the same design, but doesn't leave room to be able to expand.

  9. #169
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Posts
    3,052

    Default Re: Could the Ragin' Cajuns be getting a new football stadium?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragin9221 View Post
    Think all these options are better than trying to build a new stadium.

    It seems weird that if we are making improvements, that tearing down the upper deck and putting it up to code, with new press box and suites would not be allowed, but building the press box and suites on top of the existing structure as long it is structurally sound is allowed?
    Tear down and rebuild is an option. the question was what was cheaper. build new on east side or renovate the existing west side.

  10. #170
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    1,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    No way! We should absolutely build a new stadium that is very close in design to BVAA in Houston. Something that is very unique and incorporates the atmosphere of euro soccer by design.
    Wouldn't moving the stadium render the locker room in the apc useless? It's already pretty far from Cajun field

  11. #171
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    84

    Default Re: Could the Ragin' Cajuns be getting a new football stadium?

    A lot programs across the country have a main locker room in an operations type of building (Our APC) and then a gameday locker room in the stadium.


  12. #172
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    153

    Default Re: Could the Ragin' Cajuns be getting a new football stadium?

    This is such a great opportunity for the program. Funny t Boone Pickens was mentioned in this thread. When the Cougars were playing osu in Stillwater after the cowboys had redone their stadium the ad told ours that they could have gotten more for their money by building a whole new stadium. I have to concur with those wanting a smaller stadium. 32k with amenities is way to go. Nothing is better for future season ticket sales than a sellout getting to turn some fans away. The big games become a reward for the loyal fans.


  13. #173
    ZoomZoom's Avatar
    ZoomZoom is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    5,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaCajunsFan View Post
    Yes....I was only addressing the code issues. All of the structural issues are a separate issue.
    New stadium probably the most feasible way to go. Water, porous concrete via simple cracking and structural rebar just doesn't work well thru time. We could build upon it today, but we have decades of age on the engineered skeleton. Maggard, once again, is making a great call.

    Please. NO PLAYGROUND!!

  14. #174
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    856

    Default Re: Could the Ragin' Cajuns be getting a new football stadium?

    Caw Cat...baseball couldn't get $5 million to match the Russo's generosity....we talking $150 million project??....caw cat


  15. #175
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,409

    Default Re: Could the Ragin' Cajuns be getting a new football stadium?

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunJeaux View Post
    Caw Cat...baseball couldn't get $5 million to match the Russo's generosity....we talking $150 million project??....caw cat
    Awe, don't worry Jeaux, someone is going to tax that stadium into place. No hill for a stepper.

  16. #176
    VObserver's Avatar
    VObserver is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Abbeville, LA
    Posts
    5,706

    Default Re: Could the Ragin' Cajuns be getting a new football stadium?

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunJeaux View Post
    Caw Cat...baseball couldn't get $5 million to match the Russo's generosity....we talking $150 million project??....caw cat
    Sorry to tell you, but Cajun baseball ain't generating revenue or getting attention from anyone except the few folks who are passionate about it. Football drives the bus, makes the money, and dictates what happens to everyone else. It also, by far, has the largest potential fan base, and is the ONLY sport that matters in conference realignment.

    Remember, the worst crowd in the history of Cajun Field would be a great crowd at the Tigue, and a pretty decent crowd in the Cajundome.

  17. #177
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    9,229

    Default Re: Could the Ragin' Cajuns be getting a new football stadium?

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    I don't think it's just conservatives, but also people that have been burned by tax initiatives that had language that allowed local government, or the school board to use the money for other purposes outside of it's stated intent.

    You mentioned the library taxes failed, but there was no need to renew it when our government has built new libraries around the parish and remodel the main library downtown. Oh, by the way there is still $40 Mil in the account today. There was no purpose to renew the tax, unless it was local governments intention to use the funds for other purposes.

    People don't trust our local government and the school board to use the funds for the original intent.
    People have their own politics but you are correct, many people here don't trust the local government even with dedicated tax initiatives where the tax would be dedicated to a particular use only. The bottom line is that I just don't see anything like that passing around here, especially when half of this community donates generously to LSU.

  18. #178
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    Sorry to tell you, but Cajun baseball ain't generating revenue or getting attention from anyone except the few folks who are passionate about it. Football drives the bus, makes the money, and dictates what happens to everyone else. It also, by far, has the largest potential fan base, and is the ONLY sport that matters in conference realignment.

    Remember, the worst crowd in the history of Cajun Field would be a great crowd at the Tigue, and a pretty decent crowd in the Cajundome.
    I am all for building a new stadium, my problem with the whole thing is monetary, one thing is to make improvements over time, quite another to drop 250 million into a brand new stadium, that's why I am opposed to the new stadium idea, not unless y'all want a erector set stadium for like 70 million.

    We can improve the stadium over time, with patch ups, like taking down the upper deck, and putting up a brand new upper deck with suites, and brand new press box.

    I have no idea how much this will cost let's say we spend 50 million on redoing the upper deck to me is still more doable than building a 128 million dollar stadium, because it is not coming out all at once. We are not getting into a situation that could potentially bankrupt the athletic department.

    Then we can struggle to get everything else to code.

    I am impressed that we were able to get everything else accomplished, baseball field, softball field, Cajun Dome, APC, coaches salary etc. I really dont know how we are doing it.

  19. #179
    cajun4life's Avatar
    cajun4life is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    6,559

    Default Re: Could the Ragin' Cajuns be getting a new football stadium?

    Build something like this with about a 38-40,000 seat capacity.

    http://stadiumdb.com/stadiums/tur/ye...aturk_stadyumu


  20. #180
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.
    Posts
    6,590

    Default Re: Could the Ragin' Cajuns be getting a new football stadium?

    Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    Tear down and rebuild is an option. the question was what was cheaper. build new on east side or renovate the existing west side.
    So, it would appear that if a tear down of the upper deck to be replaced with a suite/press box complex comes in under the magical 51% rule or whatever it is, then that is what will probably happen?

    If so, I'm guessing a NEZ project to place displaced season ticket holders in the meantime would push the project over the magical 51% rule. Then, I guess they would place as many as they can on the visitor side and the SEZ until construction is complete.

    Assuming the code issues are not deemed terminal for the entire stadium. In which case, we get the erector set.

    That about right?

Page 9 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •