_ _ _ _
Page 6 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Could the Ragin' Cajuns be getting a new football stadium?

Default Re: Could the Ragin' Cajuns be getting a new football stadium?

This is exactly what I'd like to see in a new stadium.

We don't need a bigger stadium. We need a better stadium. To me, a big time stadium doesn't mean lots of seats. It means first class amenities. Suites, premium seating, good architecture, etc. Just like our baseball stadium. Keep it at around 30,000 seats and leave room to expand to 35,000.

Quote Originally Posted by facelessjonmoon View Post
    In person, it looks cheap as hell.

Other than financial reasons, I'm hoping we can rebuild in place, so we don't get the erector set design.
    A good compromise is the system that was used to build the grandstand at the Tigue. This is also the system that has been utilized in a number of other collegiate/pro venues. You utilize a structural steel skeleton with pre-cast concrete. That way you get the cost savings of the "erector set" but the "feel" of a concrete structure. It also decreases construction time. Now Lamson Park is a full erector set and I totally agree that is not what we want.

basinbear is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    This is exactly what I'd like to see in a new stadium.

We don't need a bigger stadium. We need a better stadium. Keep it at around 30,000 seats and leave room to expand to 35,000.
    In my opinion, for various reasons, it needs to be around 40,000 but I certainly agree with you on that design. I don't think we will ever need a stadium bigger than 40,000 capacity.

Agree. 40-50k is the way to go. Attendance trends across the country are down, and that will not change. Not because the sport's popularity is going down, but because people are staying home for convenience and the TV product is so good.

We need to focus on top notch amenities and convenience, IMO.

Which I assume is the reason for the feasibility study.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbear View Post
    In my opinion, for various reasons, it needs to be around 40,000 but I certainly agree with you on that design. I don't think we will ever need a stadium bigger than 40,000 capacity.
    UCF stadium is realistic to what we can afford, and most people could live with. We can brick it up to make it look real nice and fit the architecture.

I agree with Cajun90

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    I'm sure that something could be worked out but that still does not do away with the fact that there are major maintenance issues to deal with. You also end up trying to market two very different venues. One that is state of the art with nice seating and one that is approaching 50 years old with inadequate maintenance.
    Yes....I was only addressing the code issues. All of the structural issues are a separate issue.

In my opinion, for various reasons, it needs to be around 40,000 but I certainly agree with you on that design.
    I do like the feel of many of the MLS stadiums that have been built recently. They also tend to be more cost conscious than say standard American football field designs. I've made a few trips to the Houston Dynamo field and really like the layout and seating. Take that design and build it right up against Congress with retail space facing the outside of the stadium. You could have food venues/ coffee shop and a Ragin Cajun store that could be utilized seven days a week and then have access on the inside of the stadium for game days. While your at it move the Cajun field bus stop here and protect it from the weather. Students would then be inclined to visit that retail space during their daily commutes to campus. Really want to get crazy? Build condominiums in one end zone. They would not have direct stadium access but with some extra large balconies would be a great place to watch a game from. The revenue from the condo's would basically pay for that endzone section. Add the revenue from retail locations and suites and this isn't so unrealistic anymore.

I think 40K including 500-700 Luxury seats is perfect

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Temporary Tax. Like the airport. Get public support and interest. Bill it as the new jewel of Lafayette. People will flock to see what's new in town (especially in lafayette). While they're here, we'll treat them to some winning football. It's brilliant.

Also, start charging all the events here (Mardi Gras, Car Show, etc) what they need to be charged, and make more $$$ to pay for it.
    As I mentioned earlier, I think that would be a major obstacle in this community. You've seen temporary taxes shot down in recent years that would benefit the public such as library taxes, drainage and government building improvements and schools. I think this is easier said than done in this area where there are a lot of conservatives who get real loud about no more taxes.

I never understand the big stadium talk. As MAT correctly pointed out, attendance is down and will most likely follow college basketball with less and less attendance. The stadium needs to be as high end as possible with the number of seats kept as small as possible. Right now there is no demand for our product. If by some miracle we would get into a big time conference we should expand. Considering our historical attendance I would build something with 30 to 35k seats.
    Also, a local tax is a non starter. We will have to raise this ourselves.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    As I mentioned earlier, I think that would be a major obstacle in this community. You've seen temporary taxes shot down in recent years that would benefit the public such as library taxes, drainage and government building improvements and schools. I think this is easier said than done in this area where there are a lot of conservatives who get real loud about no more taxes.
    I don't think it's just conservatives, but also people that have been burned by tax initiatives that had language that allowed local government, or the school board to use the money for other purposes outside of it's stated intent.

You mentioned the library taxes failed, but there was no need to renew it when our government has built new libraries around the parish and remodel the main library downtown. Oh, by the way there is still $40 Mil in the account today. There was no purpose to renew the tax, unless it was local governments intention to use the funds for other purposes.

People don't trust our local government and the school board to use the funds for the original intent.

Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    I never understand the big stadium talk. As MAT correctly pointed out, attendance is down and will most likely follow college basketball with less and less attendance. The stadium needs to be as high end as possible with the number of seats kept as small as possible. Right now there is no demand for our product. If by some miracle we would get into a big time conference we should expand. Considering our historical attendance I would build something with 30 to 35k seats.
    Also, a local tax is a non starter. We will have to raise this ourselves.
    If we are going to build anew, you don't short yourself on future growth. We've gotten 40k and close to 40k a few times. If you build a 30k stadium, it better be built in such a way that future expansion to 50k could easily be done. Some 30k designs presented here do not allow future expansion.

IMHO, you build a 40k with options for 50k down the road in case we do become the next Boise.

Personally I say we rebuild the entire home side of Cajun Field. Also we get rid of the grass part, and put stands there. So we can keep the capacity at 30,000. We just will not use the Visitor Side until we can get the funds to complete it.

To me that is the really the only solution. I think the reason why we have to keep Cajun Field because it is easily expandable, we have already put money in the SEZ project, and we could renovate a structure that could be there for 100 yrs., and have a structure that is actually made of concrete.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    If we are going to build anew, you don't short yourself on future growth. We've gotten 40k and close to 40k a few times. If you build a 30k stadium, it better be built in such a way that future expansion to 50k could easily be done. Some 30k designs presented here do not allow future expansion.

IMHO, you build a 40k with options for 50k down the road in case we do become the next Boise.
    I agree: 30-35 is too low. Shoot for 45-50, but with options to go as high as 65.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post

Knock down the upper deck. Bowl the entire thing. Fix the areas of the lower bowl that are not to code. Build a press box/suite structure on the home side. Design it so that IF EVER NEEDED a second bowl ring can be created around the entire stadium.

You never build anything with a usage plan of 30+ years by looking at what is going on in a short time frame. The program is down now, that is not your gauge. With being in the sucky Sunbelt, and any excitement, Cajun Field has seen 36K, 38K, and over 41K. It is ridiculous and down right stupid to set your limit at 35-40K and not to expect surpassing that. You recently hired a staff, both administrative and coaches, with a success goal in mind. Make absolutely sure the facilities can support a growth in success, or why even try? Minimum, 40K - 50K.

CajunAmos is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    Knock down the upper deck. Bowl the entire thing. Fix the areas of the lower bowl that are not to code. Build a press box/suite structure on the home side. Design it so that IF EVER NEEDED a second bowl ring can be created around the entire stadium.
    From some earlier comments, I don't think they could "fix" the lower bowl. I think the whole thing would have to be removed to the foundation and rebuilt. This may actually be more expensive than building a new structure. Helmut could probably comment on this.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    From some earlier comments, I don't think they could "fix" the lower bowl. I think the whole thing would have to be removed to the foundation and rebuilt. This may actually be more expensive than building a new structure. Helmut could probably comment on this.
    That would be fixing it, then.

I do not want an erector set monstrosity. If "fixing" ours is slightly more but we end up with a real concrete facility, that's what we should do. Given ALL these discussions are predicated on having the money.

Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    That would be fixing it, then.

I do not want an erector set monstrosity. If "fixing" ours is slightly more but we end up with a real concrete facility, that's what we should do. Given ALL these discussions are predicated on having the money.
    I agree with you...anyone here ever went to a game at Middle Tennessee??....terrible stadium...

Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU View Post
    You never build anything with a usage plan of 30+ years by looking at what is going on in a short time frame. The program is down now, that is not your gauge. With being in the sucky Sunbelt, and any excitement, Cajun Field has seen 36K, 38K, and over 41K. It is ridiculous and down right stupid to set your limit at 35-40K and not to expect surpassing that. You recently hired a staff, both administrative and coaches, with a success goal in mind. Make absolutely sure the facilities can support a growth in success, or why even try? Minimum, 40K - 50K.
    Thank you very much. Even though the national attendance trend is downward, we have real chances of growing ours significantly in the next few years.

Page 6 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast