_ _ _ _
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Looking ahead to the SBC Tourney

Default Re: Looking ahead to the SBC Tourney

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I'd like to see Perrin start on Wed night.
    Save the big guns for later. I think he's proven he can pitch in big situations and if he can eat up 6 solid innings, sets us up nicely for the weekend.
    I can see him changing the rotation for match purposes but not to necessarily backwards pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    Totally agree. I'm rooting hard for Little Rock. Let Coastal have to face Alberius.
    And let them win.. After their Alberius and Saturday guy, they are a different team. They can still score runs, but major drop off on the mound.

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin View Post
    I agree with you on the "most important games" part (as opposed to "best teams" ... which is not the same thing). I simply disagree on what those most important games are. The most important games are the first two games of the tournament (the second game is likely to be Troy). I do not mind determining the best matchup for the first two opponents (both games are equally important from the perspective of getting to the finals). But throwing anyone other than Schmidt and Harris (in any order) in the first two games is playing with fire ... and not necessary IMO.

Brian
    So, you don't think Tony has much to think about? I know left the window cracked for "best matchup"... but is your approach based on the combination of all you know about our team this year, and the SBC competitiveness as a league, playing a factor in your "don't play with fire" approach? OR the fact we need to get to the back end of this tourney for a sniff at an at-large (or auto)... AND the fact you can't compete in a championship game you didn't reach... playing the biggest role in your pitching approach? All of the above perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    I can see him changing the rotation for match purposes but not to necessarily backwards pitch.

Perrin/Batty go Wed
    Schmidt gets an extra day, allowing full rest and goes on Thurs
    Nick available on Saturday
    Hogie closes out a SBC Championship on Sunday.

Hey, Dreams are Free boys!

Some short guy sang, "dream until your dreams come true."

Saw this on the Sun Belt Board. Pretty good breakdown, as always.

http://espn1420.com/sun-belt-tournam...he-birds-nest/

Perrin/Batty go Wed
    Schmidt gets an extra day, allowing full rest and goes on Thurs
    Nick available on Saturday
    Hogie closes out a SBC Championship on Sunday.

Hey, Dreams are Free boys!
    MAT......I'm liking this.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    So, you don't think Tony has much to think about? I know left the window cracked for "best matchup"... but is your approach based on the combination of all you know about our team this year, and the SBC competitiveness as a league, playing a factor in your "don't play with fire" approach? OR the fact we need to get to the back end of this tourney for a sniff at an at-large (or auto)... AND the fact you can't compete in a championship game you didn't reach... playing the biggest role in your pitching approach? All of the above perhaps?
    I think that you do not overcomplicate matters. Winning the first two games is the most important thing in this tournament. You throw your two best arms to get that done. This is not a team that is head and shoulders better than any of its Sun Belt opponents. You throw a Batty or a Perrin (two freshman with ERAs over 5) against any Wednesday opponent and you have just significantly increased the odds you take a loss ... and probably spend important innings from your best bullpen arms. This is a new season for everyone and these are hungry opponents with a new lease on life.

Brian

I think that you do not overcomplicate matters. Winning the first two games is the most important thing in this tournament. You throw your two best arms to get that done. This is not a team that is head and shoulders better than any of its Sun Belt opponents. You throw a Batty or a Perrin (two freshman with ERAs over 5) against any Wednesday opponent and you have just significantly increased the odds you take a loss ... and probably spend important innings from your best bullpen arms. This is a new season for everyone and these are hungry opponents with a new lease on life.

Brian
    By no means am I underestimating the desire of a UTA or LR or Arky St. Just thinking, if Perrin or Batty are considered big risks against any of those opponents, aren't they a problem against Troy or Coastal ten fold?

To me, it's like using an RPG to take out 2 soldiers on a tandem bicycle in order to clear the way for a battle on the bridge with only spit balls and straws to fight with.

But you would be throwing Perrin or Batty against a front line arm...or at least a Saturday guy. Get to the championship game and hope Perrin/Batty possibly couple relief inning from Schmidt and your bats can beat what should also be the other guys 4th starter.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    But you would be throwing Perrin or Batty against a front line arm...or at least a Saturday guy. Get to the championship game and hope Perrin/Batty possibly couple relief inning from Schmidt and your bats can beat what should also be the other guys 4th starter.
    1) Have you seen us hit on Sundays?
    2) UTA front line arms don't scare me one bit - LR, I'm willing to think twice about

But you bring up the crux of the matter.
    Are we better suited winning with superior pitching or hitting? I think that answer is clear. The question is, how do we best position ourselves for that...

We have zero chance coming out of the losers bracket. Do what you have to do to get to the finals and hope home field and regional bid on the line is enough to get the guys to get it done. This entire team has done way too much thinking the whole season which is why they are where they are..don't complicate it. Do what gives you the best chance to win game by game.

By no means am I underestimating the desire of a UTA or LR or Arky St. Just thinking, if Perrin or Batty are considered big risks against any of those opponents, aren't they a problem against Troy or Coastal ten fold?
    #1 I am not starting Batty against anyone

#2 Perrin is no better than #4 in my starting pecking order ... and if he is needed to start the championship game, you consider starting him and throw a bunch of arms. You piece the game together (potentially allowing most arms to not see a hitter twice). You are also facing an arm well down the Coastal staff (if you face them) and can support the pitching staff with offensive support.

#3 Batty/Perrin would not be a problem vs. Troy because they would not need to start vs. Troy unless you lose a game in the bracket. You go Schmidt/Harris in games one and two ... then Lee in game 3 (vs. potentially a Troy team that is throwing their #4).

Get to Sunday.

Brian

Blog Entries

#2 Perrin is no better than #4 in my starting pecking order ... and if he is needed to start the championship game, you consider starting him and throw a bunch of arms. You piece the game together (potentially allowing most arms to not see a hitter twice). You are also facing an arm well down the Coastal staff (if you face them) and can support the pitching staff with offensive support.

#3 Batty/Perrin would not be a problem vs. Troy because they would not need to start vs. Troy unless you lose a game in the bracket. You go Schmidt/Harris in games one and two ... then Lee in game 3 (vs. potentially a Troy team that is throwing their #4).

Get to Sunday.

Brian
    Get to Sunday and all hands on deck!

Get to Sunday.

Brian
    This!

Get to Sunday.

Brian
    Respect your opinion, I just see it a little differently than that.
    Whatever the case, just win baby..

Respect your opinion, I just see it a little differently than that.
    Whatever the case, just win baby..
    Likewise.

I also think it is outstanding that we have this to discuss. A big change from earlier in the season ... but certainly not unprecedented with Robe coached teams (improving significantly as the season wears on).

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Get to Sunday and all hands on deck!
    That would be one crazy place to watch a game next Sunday.

Brian

Likewise.

I also think it is outstanding that we have this to discuss. A big change from earlier in the season ... but certainly not unprecedented with Robe coached teams (improving significantly as the season wears on).

Brian
    These little discussion are a big part of the fun. Thrilled to be here.

Likewise.

Brian
    For ____s and giggles, where would our rpi be had we won the following games:
    Game 2 at UT
    Game 3 vs Wright State
    Game 1 vs Mississippi State
    Game 1 at Arkansas State
    Game 1 at USM
    Game 3 vs LR
    Game 1 at Georgia State

I feel like those are 7 games that we had won but blew or if we had an average offense, we would have won.

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxLouisiana View Post
    For ____s and giggles, where would our rpi be had we won the following games:
    Game 2 at UT
    Game 3 vs Wright State
    Game 1 vs Mississippi State
    Game 1 at Arkansas State
    Game 1 at USM
    Game 3 vs LR
    Game 1 at Georgia State

I feel like those are 7 games that we had won but blew or if we had an average offense, we would have won.
    We might be hosting a regional with a #15 RPI ranking and a 4-3 record vs. the RPI Top 25 and an 11-5 record vs. the RPI Top 50.

Brian

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast