_ _ _ _
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 109

Thread: Looking ahead to the SBC Tourney

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    703

    Default Re: Looking ahead to the SBC Tourney

    There is no doubt that Robe has the cahones to make the best decisions on our rotation, IMO. He probably will gather all information and he knows our pitchers. He probably will make final decision on Tuesday, after we know who is in bracket and a current weather forecast, etc.


  2. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,967

    Default Re: Looking ahead to the SBC Tourney

    What is Troy's SOS


  3. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    16,538

    Default Re: Looking ahead to the SBC Tourney

    Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin View Post
    The opening game for the Cajuns cannot be Troy ... it will be Little Rock (if they win Tuesday) ... or the winner of UTA/Arkansas State if Little Rock loses.

    I want to see a pitching strategy that gets us to the conference finals 3-0. The most important games are the first two games.

    Brian
    I didn't think it could be Troy but the bracket they just put out this morning confused the hell out of me.

    I'd like to have my best arms available for the best teams we're going to face. Just my opinion. I understand the importance of the first two games, but considering our thin pen, I'd rather have guys we can rely on in the most important games. IMO, the most important games are on the weekend, as we'll likely face Troy, Coastal or South en route to a championship (and ticket to a regional). While other teams will have to hit their way to wins Sat & Sun, our best opportunity, in my view, is to pitch our way to victory.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    16,538

    Default Re: Looking ahead to the SBC Tourney

    Quote Originally Posted by lifetimecajun View Post
    What is Troy's SOS
    overall 90
    NC 50

  5. #25
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    5,280

    UL Baseball Re: Looking ahead to the SBC Tourney

    Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I didn't think it could be Troy but the bracket they just put out this morning confused the hell out of me.

    I'd like to have my best arms available for the best teams we're going to face. Just my opinion. I understand the importance of the first two games, but considering our thin pen, I'd rather have guys we can rely on in the most important games. IMO, the most important games are on the weekend, as we'll likely face Troy, Coastal or South en route to a championship (and ticket to a regional).
    I agree with you on the "most important games" part (as opposed to "best teams" ... which is not the same thing). I simply disagree on what those most important games are. The most important games are the first two games of the tournament (the second game is likely to be Troy). I do not mind determining the best matchup for the first two opponents (both games are equally important from the perspective of getting to the finals). But throwing anyone other than Schmidt and Harris (in any order) in the first two games is playing with fire ... and not necessary IMO.

    Brian

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    16,538

    Default Re: Looking ahead to the SBC Tourney

    Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin View Post
    I agree with you on the "most important games" part (as opposed to "best teams" ... which is not the same thing). I simply disagree on what those most important games are. The most important games are the first two games of the tournament (the second game is likely to be Troy). I do not mind determining the best matchup for the first two opponents (both games are equally important from the perspective of getting to the finals). But throwing anyone other than Schmidt and Harris (in any order) in the first two games is playing with fire ... and not necessary IMO.

    Brian
    Friendly banter of course, but I don't (and have never in the past) understood throwing an arm like Harris against a weaker opponent, just because it's the first game of the tourney. Furthermore, because championship sunday is now single elimination no matter the record of the participants, couldn't I then argue that Sunday is much more important because it is now a defacto sudden death game? And look, I understand "you have to get there first" mentality. But if I lose a game before Sunday, I have a chance to play again. My season doesn't end. So for that reason, IMO, the every game before Sunday, isn't the most important. Particularly because, you need to win the tournament.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    5,280

    Default Re: Looking ahead to the SBC Tourney

    Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Friendly banter of course, but I don't (and have never in the past) understood throwing an arm like Harris against a weaker opponent, just because it's the first game of the tourney. Furthermore, because championship sunday is now single elimination no matter the record of the participants, couldn't I then argue that Sunday is much more important because it is now a defector sudden death game? And look, I understand "you have to get there first" mentality. But if I loose on a game before Sunday, I have a chance to play again. My season doesn't end. So for that reason, IMO, the every game before Sunday, isn't the most important. Particularly because, you need to win the tournament.
    And that is where we also disagree. I do not think the Cajuns must win the tournament to earn entry to the field of 64. But getting to the finals is very important.

    Brian

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    747

    Default Re: Looking ahead to the SBC Tourney

    I don't even know why this is being discussed. Schmidt throws Wednesday. Harris Thursday. Both will be going on one fewer day of rest for the second straight week. (Which is why you can't throw Harris in the first game.)

    My biggest concern is Georgia State knocks off Little Rock and we have to face Alberius of Arky State in our first game. He stuck it to us in J'Boro.


  9. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    16,538

    Default Re: Looking ahead to the SBC Tourney

    Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    I don't even know why this is being discussed. Schmidt throws Wednesday. Harris Thursday. Both will be going on one fewer day of rest for the second straight week. (Which is why you can't throw Harris in the first game.)

    My biggest concern is Georgia State knocks off Little Rock and we have to face Alberius of Arky State in our first game. He stuck it to us in J'Boro.
    Didn't he just pitch Friday?

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    16,538

    Default Re: Looking ahead to the SBC Tourney

    Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin View Post
    And that is where we also disagree. I do not think the Cajuns must win the tournament to earn entry to the field of 64. But getting to the finals is very important.

    Brian
    I read the synopsis, and while I appreciate it, still leaving a lot up to the committee. And I do not trust them, at all.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    747

    Default Re: Looking ahead to the SBC Tourney

    Normally, rest is Saturday to Saturday.

    He pitched Friday this week.

    No way he's going on Wednesday (which was discussed here). He'll pitch Thursday...which is one fewer day of rest for the second straight week.

    And, as a power pitcher, Harris recovers more slowly than some of the other guys.


  12. #32
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    16,538

    Default Re: Looking ahead to the SBC Tourney

    Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    Normally, rest is Saturday to Saturday.

    He pitched Friday this week.

    No way he's going on Wednesday (which was discussed here). He'll pitch Thursday...which is one fewer day of rest for the second straight week.

    And, as a power pitcher, Harris recovers more slowly than some of the other guys.
    I meant Alberius.

  13. #33
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    1,001

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    I don't even know why this is being discussed. Schmidt throws Wednesday. Harris Thursday. Both will be going on one fewer day of rest for the second straight week. (Which is why you can't throw Harris in the first game.)

    My biggest concern is Georgia State knocks off Little Rock and we have to face Alberius of Arky State in our first game. He stuck it to us in J'Boro.
    Nm

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    16,538

    Default Re: Looking ahead to the SBC Tourney

    Quote Originally Posted by GeauxLouisiana View Post
    We can't play Georgia State, unless it's championship Sunday.
    We'd play Arky in his scenario.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    747

    Default Re: Looking ahead to the SBC Tourney

    Quote Originally Posted by GeauxLouisiana View Post
    We can't play Georgia State, unless it's championship Sunday.
    I know that. If Ga. State wins over LR, we get the A-State/UTA winner. That's my point. I never said anything about us playing Ga. St.

  16. #36
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    1,001

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    We'd play Arky in his scenario.
    Or UTa

  17. #37
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    1,001

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    I know that. If Ga. State wins over LR, we get the A-State/UTA winner. That's my point. I never said anything about us playing Ga. St.
    My bad

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    747

    Default Re: Looking ahead to the SBC Tourney

    Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I meant Alberius.
    Ah. My bad. Yes, he pitched Friday. Such is the issue with having to play on Tuesday. Everyone gets pushed up TWO days. Welsh will go against UTA, having pitched on Thursday.

    At least I think that's what will happen. I can't imagine them throwing a third guy, because they don't really have one.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    16,538

    Default Re: Looking ahead to the SBC Tourney

    Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    I know that. If Ga. State wins over LR, we get the A-State/UTA winner. That's my point. I never said anything about us playing Ga. St.
    I'll say this, of those 3 options, I'd rather not see Ark St right now. Hot and streaking.. and I just don't like the matchup all the way around.

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    747

    Default Re: Looking ahead to the SBC Tourney

    Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I'll say this, of those 3 options, I'd rather not see Ark St right now. Hot and streaking.. and I just don't like the matchup all the way around.
    Totally agree. I'm rooting hard for Little Rock. Let Coastal have to face Alberius.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •