_ _ _ _
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Looking ahead to the SBC Tourney

Default Re: Looking ahead to the SBC Tourney

There is no doubt that Robe has the cahones to make the best decisions on our rotation, IMO. He probably will gather all information and he knows our pitchers. He probably will make final decision on Tuesday, after we know who is in bracket and a current weather forecast, etc.

What is Troy's SOS

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin View Post
    The opening game for the Cajuns cannot be Troy ... it will be Little Rock (if they win Tuesday) ... or the winner of UTA/Arkansas State if Little Rock loses.

I want to see a pitching strategy that gets us to the conference finals 3-0. The most important games are the first two games.

Brian
    I didn't think it could be Troy but the bracket they just put out this morning confused the hell out of me.

I'd like to have my best arms available for the best teams we're going to face. Just my opinion. I understand the importance of the first two games, but considering our thin pen, I'd rather have guys we can rely on in the most important games. IMO, the most important games are on the weekend, as we'll likely face Troy, Coastal or South en route to a championship (and ticket to a regional). While other teams will have to hit their way to wins Sat & Sun, our best opportunity, in my view, is to pitch our way to victory.

Quote Originally Posted by lifetimecajun View Post
    What is Troy's SOS
    overall 90
    NC 50

UL Baseball Re: Looking ahead to the SBC Tourney

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I didn't think it could be Troy but the bracket they just put out this morning confused the hell out of me.

I'd like to have my best arms available for the best teams we're going to face. Just my opinion. I understand the importance of the first two games, but considering our thin pen, I'd rather have guys we can rely on in the most important games. IMO, the most important games are on the weekend, as we'll likely face Troy, Coastal or South en route to a championship (and ticket to a regional).
    I agree with you on the "most important games" part (as opposed to "best teams" ... which is not the same thing). I simply disagree on what those most important games are. The most important games are the first two games of the tournament (the second game is likely to be Troy). I do not mind determining the best matchup for the first two opponents (both games are equally important from the perspective of getting to the finals). But throwing anyone other than Schmidt and Harris (in any order) in the first two games is playing with fire ... and not necessary IMO.

Brian

I agree with you on the "most important games" part (as opposed to "best teams" ... which is not the same thing). I simply disagree on what those most important games are. The most important games are the first two games of the tournament (the second game is likely to be Troy). I do not mind determining the best matchup for the first two opponents (both games are equally important from the perspective of getting to the finals). But throwing anyone other than Schmidt and Harris (in any order) in the first two games is playing with fire ... and not necessary IMO.

Brian
    Friendly banter of course, but I don't (and have never in the past) understood throwing an arm like Harris against a weaker opponent, just because it's the first game of the tourney. Furthermore, because championship sunday is now single elimination no matter the record of the participants, couldn't I then argue that Sunday is much more important because it is now a defacto sudden death game? And look, I understand "you have to get there first" mentality. But if I lose a game before Sunday, I have a chance to play again. My season doesn't end. So for that reason, IMO, the every game before Sunday, isn't the most important. Particularly because, you need to win the tournament.

Friendly banter of course, but I don't (and have never in the past) understood throwing an arm like Harris against a weaker opponent, just because it's the first game of the tourney. Furthermore, because championship sunday is now single elimination no matter the record of the participants, couldn't I then argue that Sunday is much more important because it is now a defector sudden death game? And look, I understand "you have to get there first" mentality. But if I loose on a game before Sunday, I have a chance to play again. My season doesn't end. So for that reason, IMO, the every game before Sunday, isn't the most important. Particularly because, you need to win the tournament.
    And that is where we also disagree. I do not think the Cajuns must win the tournament to earn entry to the field of 64. But getting to the finals is very important.

Brian

I don't even know why this is being discussed. Schmidt throws Wednesday. Harris Thursday. Both will be going on one fewer day of rest for the second straight week. (Which is why you can't throw Harris in the first game.)

My biggest concern is Georgia State knocks off Little Rock and we have to face Alberius of Arky State in our first game. He stuck it to us in J'Boro.

Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    I don't even know why this is being discussed. Schmidt throws Wednesday. Harris Thursday. Both will be going on one fewer day of rest for the second straight week. (Which is why you can't throw Harris in the first game.)

My biggest concern is Georgia State knocks off Little Rock and we have to face Alberius of Arky State in our first game. He stuck it to us in J'Boro.
    Didn't he just pitch Friday?

And that is where we also disagree. I do not think the Cajuns must win the tournament to earn entry to the field of 64. But getting to the finals is very important.

Brian
    I read the synopsis, and while I appreciate it, still leaving a lot up to the committee. And I do not trust them, at all.

Normally, rest is Saturday to Saturday.

He pitched Friday this week.

No way he's going on Wednesday (which was discussed here). He'll pitch Thursday...which is one fewer day of rest for the second straight week.

And, as a power pitcher, Harris recovers more slowly than some of the other guys.

Normally, rest is Saturday to Saturday.

He pitched Friday this week.

No way he's going on Wednesday (which was discussed here). He'll pitch Thursday...which is one fewer day of rest for the second straight week.

And, as a power pitcher, Harris recovers more slowly than some of the other guys.
    I meant Alberius.

Nm

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxLouisiana View Post
    We can't play Georgia State, unless it's championship Sunday.
    We'd play Arky in his scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxLouisiana View Post
    We can't play Georgia State, unless it's championship Sunday.
    I know that. If Ga. State wins over LR, we get the A-State/UTA winner. That's my point. I never said anything about us playing Ga. St.

We'd play Arky in his scenario.
    Or UTa

I know that. If Ga. State wins over LR, we get the A-State/UTA winner. That's my point. I never said anything about us playing Ga. St.
    My bad

I meant Alberius.
    Ah. My bad. Yes, he pitched Friday. Such is the issue with having to play on Tuesday. Everyone gets pushed up TWO days. Welsh will go against UTA, having pitched on Thursday.

At least I think that's what will happen. I can't imagine them throwing a third guy, because they don't really have one.

I'll say this, of those 3 options, I'd rather not see Ark St right now. Hot and streaking.. and I just don't like the matchup all the way around.

I'll say this, of those 3 options, I'd rather not see Ark St right now. Hot and streaking.. and I just don't like the matchup all the way around.
    Totally agree. I'm rooting hard for Little Rock. Let Coastal have to face Alberius.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast