_ _ _ _
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 115

Thread: From "Will they even make the conference tournament?" to West Division Champs

  1. #81
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    20,755
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: "Will they even make the conference tournament?"

    Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    I disagree. That was the current picture at the time, not the big picture.
    There are two big pictures and both resemble a giant funnel.

    The small tip of the funnel represents where you are currently in time, and is your vantage point of the big picture.

    Right now, being in the tournament the early season "questions" seem far off, spread out and less relevant.

    Earlier in the season the funnel tip and mouth (big picture) were much closer together and thus much more relevant. Today's view wasn't in the actual picture, but admittedly a rendering of now was being projected through a legitimate question.

    I like the current big picture better.

  2. #82
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    773

    Default Re: "Will they even make the conference tournament?"

    Quote Originally Posted by bmv90 View Post
    Yes, because having an opinion makes us -fumble-. Get out of here.
    Yes, sir. Leaving now, sir.

  3. #83
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    20,755
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: "Will they even make the conference tournament?"

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Whatever motivates them! I don't take it personally because of what was stated here on the fan board. This is a fan board, parents and athletes should not read it. Now if someone is out tweeting back to athletes negative comments, well you should have expected this was going to come eventually.
    For players who hope to make it in the big league, RP is must read preparation for families, players, coaches, administration.

    Otherwise they will leave totally unprepared for the "pro" fan.

  4. #84
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    20,755
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: "Will they even make the conference tournament?"

    Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Btw, his message didn't say "HEY CAJUN FANS..."
    The message encompassed all people saying they wouldn't make the conference tournament.
    How can this fact escape anyone's notice?

    Loved the tweet.

    It couldn't be answered with finality (seeding) till last night.

  5. #85
    Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    7,724

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rougarou View Post
    No doubt about young ppl and social media. I wouldn't think Robe approved, but he probably isn't telling Handy not to do that either.

    They were bashed but they had a lot of support too. For the fans that continued to support, they take it personally, which I don't think they should. Players have to believe in themselves and their teammates. If they don't, the lockeroom fractures. I would rather players fighting fans than fighting each other.

    As I mentioned in the other thread, it will all be love at the end of the season no matter where it ends. The truth is that this mid major baseball program gets a lot more support than others and I think the players realize that when the season ends and when it begins. In between things get testy.
    I am known as a pretty level headed guy and I have absolutely no problem with his tweet. Fact is some people did question whether they would qualify and they used that as motivation. Now they are simply saying I told you so as part of their celebration. I also know that while athletes appreciate the support of fans, there are others who look down on fans. That is simply because they realize 90 percent of critics have little athletic ability and they find it comical some of those folks judging them. Recall the Otha Peters challenge for critics to take him on in a football practice. Same mindset.

  6. #86
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    20,755
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: "Will they even make the conference tournament?"

    Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    I'm sure Robe wasn't happy with the tweet. He wants his players to ignore the doubters, not lower themselves to their level.
    Doubting isn't a level, it's an analysis.

  7. #87
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Btw, his message didn't say "HEY CAJUN FANS..."
    The message encompassed all people saying they wouldn't make the conference tournament.
    He responded to naysayers as a "ha doubt us now?" type of remark, which I have no problem with. There's a distinct difference between a player tweeting this after winning a game that clinched your division and a coach who openly criticizes fans who post on a message board when they lose (See: Hud). At least, in this instance, it was after we did something good. Now, he and his team can go back it up next week and get into a regional.

    It's safe to say that we ALL express our opinions differently because we all have one thing in common. WE LOVE THIS UNIVERSITY. We buy tickets, we donate, we wear red, we support, and we yell. At the same time, there is sometimes a certain limit that should be reached when criticism is used (Example: openly yelling at Kole from the stands because he struck out). From this particular thread, some fans like to criticize. And some HATE the negativity and bash the ones who do. But all in all, we are all fans and want to see the same success.

  8. #88
    CajunEXPRESS's Avatar
    CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    14,515

    Default Re: "Will they even make the conference tournament?"

    Agreed, players should be focused on sweeping ULMost instead of combating nay sayers. Other than that lack of focus tweet away.


  9. #89
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,513

    Default Re: From "Will they even make the conference tournament?" to West Division Champs

    Maybe its like what they say about jokes. If you're offended, the joke is probably about you.


  10. #90
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,907

    Default Re: From "Will they even make the conference tournament?" to West Division Champs

    Let them play

    And

    Let them tweet

    I wake up every morning and hope that the president tweets twice as much today as he did yesterday.

    The only people this usually affects are those who it should affect. I like that the president's tweet affect who they do affect, every single day. I like when the player's tweets do likewise.

    Let's go win, so we can tweet again.


  11. #91
    Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    7,724

    Default Re: West division champs

    Quote Originally Posted by DannyP View Post
    LOUISIANA, kings of Louisiana!
    I think we went 13 and 2 in state this year. That is an outstanding record. Despite many of us (including me) doubting their abilities (I never questioned the heart or effort of the team), they did not doubt themselves. For sticking together and turning it around, they deserve worlds of credit. However the season ends, they are winners. Trying to prove doubters wrong worked for the guys and helped them turn it around. In a strange way, maybe the criticism served a purpose. Still, they would be better off if they paid no attention to what is posted here.

  12. #92
    Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    7,724

    Default Re: From "Will they even make the conference tournament?" to West Division Champs

    Quote Originally Posted by Dad04 View Post
    Big picture was a losing record and team BA under .140 after 15 games. I am glad they turned it around, but a winning season was in doubt until well into the 2nd half.

    If Handsome needs to insult the fans that pay their bills, to win the tourney, so be it.
    While many were frustrated, very few actually believed they would not make their own tournament. Those that did probably did not realize that 10 of the 12 teams make it. Therefore, he was speaking to only a few people and he spoke the truth.

  13. #93
    Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    7,724

    Default Re: "Will they even make the conference tournament?"

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    Yep..a lot of good came out his tweet didn't it
    Something good may have come out of the tweet as it may have provided further motivation. In all likelihood it was meaningless and probably had little impact to anything.

  14. #94
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,978

    Default Re: From "Will they even make the conference tournament?" to West Division Champs

    Quote Originally Posted by bmv90 View Post
    You have Monica and Lott lot-key calling out fans who asked whether we were going to make the tournament.

    It took a lot out of me to not remind Todd that he has struck out close to 50% oh the time.
    When and where did this happen

  15. #95
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    Amazing how fans are defending themselves. Reality is, fans (and that includes most of us on this fan board) have a tendency to react on what they see rather than see the bigger picture. Hell, we have meltdowns after every single loss.

    Personally, I think we earned those tweets. We couldn't see past the tip of our noses.
    Amen. I posted 2 months ago that this team would get better and would win the tournament. I felt that way because of one man. Tony Robichaux. He knows how to win in a lot of ways. Gorilla ball. Small ball. But most importantly he teaches a process. Much like Saban without 5 stars all around him. With Tony Robichaux a season is never over. College baseball is 56 games. Too many react on a per game basis.

  16. #96
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    20,755
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: From "Will they even make the conference tournament?" to West Division Champs

    Quote Originally Posted by IHateLaState View Post
    Amen. I posted 2 months ago that this team would get better and would win the tournament. I felt that way because of one man. Tony Robichaux. He knows how to win in a lot of ways. Gorilla ball. Small ball. But most importantly he teaches a process. Much like Saban without 5 stars all around him. With Tony Robichaux a season is never over. College baseball is 56 games. Too many react on a per game basis.
    Well Tony called it a "turnaround" so whatever you are feeling now, it was the opposite then.

  17. #97
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Well Tony called it a "turnaround" so whatever you are feeling now, it was the opposite then.
    Of course it was a turn around. I wasn't blind back then. I just had and have complete confidence in Tony Robichaux

  18. #98
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    20,755
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: From "Will they even make the conference tournament?" to West Division Champs

    Quote Originally Posted by IHateLaState View Post
    Of course it was a turn around. I wasn't blind back then. I just had and have complete confidence in Tony Robichaux
    I've been there before.

    In 2005 I predicted Bustle would go on a 5-0 run to finish the season. I just saw that something tangible was about to flip.

    Bustle certainly didn't have the body work of trust that Robichaux has built up.

  19. #99
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    lafayette
    Posts
    11,793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Something good may have come out of the tweet as it may have provided further motivation. In all likelihood it was meaningless and probably had little impact to anything.
    If they looking to tweets for motivation we in a bind.

  20. #100
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    1,067

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IHateLaState View Post
    Amen. I posted 2 months ago that this team would get better and would win the tournament. I felt that way because of one man. Tony Robichaux. He knows how to win in a lot of ways. Gorilla ball. Small ball. But most importantly he teaches a process. Much like Saban without 5 stars all around him. With Tony Robichaux a season is never over. College baseball is 56 games. Too many react on a per game basis.
    It shouldn't take 30 something games for the process to finally start working. We could be talking about a regional host if the "process" was picked up earlier, like maybe before the season.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •