_ _ _ _
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: From "Will they even make the conference tournament?" to West Division Champs

Default Re: "Will they even make the conference tournament?"

Quote Originally Posted by Rougarou View Post
    I tweeted a similar sentiment in the Gameday thread. The only problem is actually tweeting it out. No reason to put it out on social media. Fans shouldn't take players Type A personalities personally. We want alpha fighters, we got it.
    Roug, in a perfect world, it stays in the locker room, but the reality is, these kids put their feelings on the internet. It's just the way things are now. Handy has the leader status in the clubhouse, and it wouldn't surprise me if he was cleared to put that out on twitter. The baseball team was bashed all year. I'm not arguing whether it was justified or not. I'm just pointing out, it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by angeleast View Post
    If he comes back next year AND backs it up I will be fine with this. That question was a legit question in the first half of the season.
    I disagree 100%.
    Young team, showed they could beat top 25 teams, got off to a really slow start and had to battle major injuries. Those things had to be taken into consideration. You also had to take into account just how bad App St was, and on talent alone, we were going to be middle of the pack.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Roug, in a perfect world, it stays in the locker room, but the reality is, these kids put their feelings on the internet. It's just the way things are now. Handy has the leader status in the clubhouse, and it wouldn't surprise me if he was cleared to put that out on twitter. The baseball team was bashed all year. I'm not arguing whether it was justified or not. I'm just pointing out, it happened.
    No doubt about young ppl and social media. I wouldn't think Robe approved, but he probably isn't telling Handy not to do that either.

They were bashed but they had a lot of support too. For the fans that continued to support, they take it personally, which I don't think they should. Players have to believe in themselves and their teammates. If they don't, the lockeroom fractures. I would rather players fighting fans than fighting each other.

As I mentioned in the other thread, it will all be love at the end of the season no matter where it ends. The truth is that this mid major baseball program gets a lot more support than others and I think the players realize that when the season ends and when it begins. In between things get testy.

If you are one that said "Are they even going to make the conference tournament?" then this tweet is for you. If you are big enough to post it to RP, you should be big enough to take it when someone points it out. I see the guy standing up for his teammates. Geaux Handy

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin4U View Post
    If you are one that said "Are they even going to make the conference tournament?" then this tweet is for you. If you are big enough to post it to RP, you should be big enough to take it when someone points it out. I see the guy standing up for his teammates. Geaux Handy
    Exactly. And to be honest, it fired me up. I want players with BLEEP you attitudes. Puts you back in the dugout for just a second when you read stuff like that.

I was one of the fans that questioned whether or not our boys would be working the concessions or the field of play...I absolutely love this tweet! Throw that ____ right back into my face!

Dad04 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

I had doubts they would get over 25 wins. The bigger chip on their collective shoulder, the better. Good for them.

It's like Robe says, "they never let their perception become their reality" because let's be honest, we were all scratching our heads and concerned earlier in the season. But the players fought through it and got themselves to this point of becoming the Western Division Champions and the #2 seed in the conference tournament. Now, they have the tough task of performing well next week and getting a spot in a regional. I have faith in them to get it done.

Robe said last week he's proud of the way these guys have stuck together. This team has tremendous chemistry and they never let the locker room get fractured when things have gone bad. A lesser team couldn't have done that.

This team didn't win a series until April and had a team batting average of .100 and sitting in 9th place...I'd be much more impressed if handsome would have taunted the fans then. Congrats on winning the west, i.e. 5th place. We have seen a team not make our own tourney after going to the CWS the year before...not sure why a team coming off a non post season year and started the way they did is not capable of missing the tourney. It wasn't some obsurd thought. Don't think it shows fight, their "leader" is immature. Wonder how many teams would have the kind of fan support they had all year playing like that. Out of all the things he could have put out there he chose that...must have been working on that tweet all season long.

In my opinion, it was a very reasonable question at the time. It's like they are calling out fans and celebrating at the same time. They haven't done anything yet. Especially Todd Lott, who posted "they asking for forgiveness already." Get the ____ out of here. You are striking out almost 50 percent of the time, and you look silly doing it.

Don't call out fans. If you do, you open yourself up to criticism, and there's a lot to criticize.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    This team didn't win a series until April and had a team batting average of .100 and sitting in 9th place...I'd be much more impressed if handsome would have taunted the fans then. Congrats on winning the west, i.e. 5th place. We have seen a team not make our own tourney after going to the CWS the year before...not sure why a team coming off a non post season year and started the way they did is not capable of missing the tourney. It wasn't some obsurd thought. Don't think it shows fight, their "leader" is immature. Wonder how many teams would have the kind of fan support they had all year playing like that. Out of all the things he could have put out there he chose that...must have been working on that tweet all season long.
    Amazing how fans are defending themselves. Reality is, fans (and that includes most of us on this fan board) have a tendency to react on what they see rather than see the bigger picture. Hell, we have meltdowns after every single loss.

Personally, I think we earned those tweets. We couldn't see past the tip of our noses.

Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    Amazing how fans are defending themselves. Reality is, fans (and that includes most of us on this fan board) have a tendency to react on what they see rather than see the bigger picture. Hell, we have meltdowns after every single loss.

Personally, I think we earned those tweets. We couldn't see past the tip of our noses.
    We were reacting to the body of work at the time, not a game or even a weekend. They lost three (four if you count USA) conference series before they won one. It was reasonable.

The tweet has since been deleted

Football program tried this us vs. the fan base mentality as well. Didn't turn out too well.

I'd be waiting until our name is called next Sunday before running mouths. Reality is this team finished 5th in a mid major conference and got the 2 seed by technicality.

CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

No problem with the tweet, or the timing.

Fact is Robe's taken shots at the RP critics on his Saturday morning show many times this year. Comments like nobody puts up statues to critics. Comments about the trashing of his players, and COACHES.

I'm good with all if it. The critics, the combative coaches, and players. Ultimately it's about competing at a high level. The absolute worst thing is apathetic fans, players, and yes coaches.

Im not offended or anything but easy to talk ___ in hindsight...how about say it when you are sitting in 9th place and can't hit? Unless you aren't confident you will Make your own tourney either. They still haven't done anything. They were a game away from being in a single elimination play in game. Did he come here to hang West Division sun belt banners?

Wow. Nice backhanded compliment, i.e. 5th place. A kid hurt your feelings with a tweet?
    Of course this team isnt perfect. Their weaknesses are still weaknesses but ...

When my wife and I were looking to buy a house, she liked a certain place. I thought it was "meh". We looked at a lot of houses. She kept coming back to that house....finally I agreed and we bought it.

What was the difference? I saw the house as it was. She saw the house as what it could be.

I NEVER thought we'd miss the conference tournament. That doesn't make me better than anyone. That simply shows some of us saw this team as what it could be.

Dad04 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Big picture was a losing record and team BA under .140 after 15 games. I am glad they turned it around, but a winning season was in doubt until well into the 2nd half.

If Handsome needs to insult the fans that pay their bills, to win the tourney, so be it.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast