_ _ _ _
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Terrestrial Radio days are numbered

Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.

Default Re: Terrestrial Radio days are numbered

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post
    Just like cars come with satellite radio today, they will come standard with Internet connections in the next few years. So there will be no need for terrestrial radio.
    No thank you. I don't need hackers crashing cars all over the place.

Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    There is an FM radio chip in your smart "phone" that does not need phone service. Your "Phone" is not a phone. It is a computer (smart device) with a phone APP. Your "phone" sucks as a phone because it was never designed to be a phone. The phone app is designed to run on your smart device. Depending on how well your Phone app was designed depends on how well it works.

The only thing Next radio needs is a smart device with an activated chip and a charged battery.

Unfortunately, all of this "advancement" in technology will greatly impact our privacy and personal information. It is SPECTRE'esque and I don't see a James Bond coming along to stop it.
    Humanity will learn to limit technology or will destroy itself through technology. There is no utopian fantasy land where we are all connected, automated and free.

VObserver is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    Humanity will learn to limit technology or will destroy itself through technology. There is no utopian fantasy land where we are all connected, automated and free.
    If you are connected, you are by definition not free. The enemy of freedom is not automation, it is connection. Mere automation is convenient, but does not restrict your freedom. Connection requires you to give up a certain amount of freedom; and universal connection will eventually enslave you.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    No thank you. I don't need hackers crashing cars all over the place.
    That passed a long time ago..... If a vehicle has navigation it is connected. Different manufacturers approach it differently. There are reports out there that dig pretty deep into the issue. Audi puts their info/tainment system on a separate physical layer. Others do not.

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    With all the discussion about radio we have had on this board I found these articles interesting,

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-10029209.html

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/dab-...11364137002537

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...-could-end-fm/

No mention of AM. I would think that was switched off already I dunno.

More than 50% of the people in Great Britain get their radio via digital transmission. They anticipate they will reach the threshold for throwing the switch on terrestrial radio in about 2 years. Whether they do or not is the big question. Norway did it in January of 2017.

I would suspect that it is much less expensive to "broadcast" digitally versus terrestrial radio because all you need is an internet connection and the equipment. No worries with cross talk, clear signals, weather issues, maintaining a tower etc.

We might as well get used to listening to the radio via an APP for individual stations or something like next radio.
    Hang on a minute. I think you're misunderstanding what this is. This isn't the end of terrestrial radio. It is only the end of analog terrestrial radio.

It is similar to what we did here with the terrestrial TV switch here in the US. TV stations still broadcast over the air. They just replaced their analog signals with digital ones.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2