_ _ _ _
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 85

Thread: How Nick Saban's Alabama 'Process' is being channeled in Cajun Country

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    9,547

    Default Re: How Nick Saban's Alabama 'Process' is being channeled in Cajun Country

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    That post is probably one most agree with and I understand that perspective completely. Some of it is economically based. We are still struggling in Acadiana despite progress elsewhere. People want to be shown thrir investment will be rewarded before they contribute much more.
    Honestly Mike, its not about the money per se. Can I afford to contribute more? Yes. I just looked at the $2,200 I was looking at on my account between seats, contribution and tailgating spots and I just started to think if there are better things to do with my money. I ultimately decided to renew all but it took some thought. If prices continue to go up and the program is not really progressing, I can see a time in the very near future where I may decide to stop. I will always be a fan but making that commitment may not always be in the cards.

  2. #42
    basinbear's Avatar
    basinbear is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Missouri City, TX.
    Posts
    5,921

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wscoog View Post
    1 thing that stands out in the article is that Napier is making 350,000 less than hudspeth but the assistant salary pool is 350,000 more than last year. That shows me Napier knows he is only as good as his staff. 350k should make a large difference. The Cajun fan base should enjoy the ride. Looks to be a fun one.
    Actually the University allocated over 2 million for assistant coaches and more for support staff. Napier added 350,000 to that.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Metairie,LA
    Posts
    4,177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    Ditto.

    That Texas QB he offered tells me everything I wanted to hear.

    Pro-Style. 6'2". Intelligent. Strong arm. Good feet. Prototypical Napier QB.
    Did we sign him? Because offers will not turn this program around.

  4. #44
    basinbear's Avatar
    basinbear is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Missouri City, TX.
    Posts
    5,921

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    Did we sign him? Because offers will not turn this program around.
    He's going into his Senior year....

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Metairie,LA
    Posts
    4,177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    No.

    We need to understand as a fanbase that this is a foundation laying year. We may win 7 or 8. We may win 3 or 4. This is the rip the band aid off year. It will sting. Think of Saban's first year at Bama. They went 6-6 during the regular season. That's the same record that Mike Shula had the year before, AND Saban lost to ULM as well.

    The true measure will come with the 2019 signing class. How many 3-stars and above we sign, and how we do against Tech, Southern Miss and Tulane.
    Spot on. We got trounced in recruiting this year, but that was to be expected with the late start. Napier has to make a splash this year and start getting players attached to the 3 schools you mentioned. I will not be a believer until I see a tangible uptick in the quality of athlete brought in.
    Btw, that was a great article. Too bad our local guys can't do something like this.

  6. #46
    basinbear's Avatar
    basinbear is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Missouri City, TX.
    Posts
    5,921

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    Spot on. We got trounced in recruiting this year, but that was to be expected with the late start. Napier has to make a splash this year and start getting players attached to the 3 schools you mentioned. I will not be a believer until I see a tangible uptick in the quality of athlete brought in.
    Btw, that was a great article. Too bad our local guys can't do something like this.
    Local guys? That would take some effort....

  7. #47
    Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    7,739

    Default Re: How Nick Saban's Alabama 'Process' is being channeled in Cajun Country

    Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    Spot on. We got trounced in recruiting this year, but that was to be expected with the late start. Napier has to make a splash this year and start getting players attached to the 3 schools you mentioned. I will not be a believer until I see a tangible uptick in the quality of athlete brought in.
    Btw, that was a great article. Too bad our local guys can't do something like this.
    I don't buy we got trounced in recruiting this year. Nor do I think we did well. I am so convinced recruiting rankings at our level are so meaningless that I was tempted to use the word "know"in describing my opinion of those. Also, the rankings on signing day did not include the late DL guys who inked with us.

  8. #48
    CajunEXPRESS's Avatar
    CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    14,518

    Default Re: How Nick Saban's Alabama 'Process' is being channeled in Cajun Country

    I think Napier did a great job with the players still available. Also strongly believe in two or three years many will be surprised at how well those kids are playing. And yes we're going to have multiple pleasant surprises in 2018 season.


  9. #49
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.
    Posts
    6,772

    Default Re: How Nick Saban's Alabama 'Process' is being channeled in Cajun Country

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    I don't buy we got trounced in recruiting this year. Nor do I think we did well. I am so convinced recruiting rankings at our level are so meaningless that I was tempted to use the word "know"in describing my opinion of those. Also, the rankings on signing day did not include the late DL guys who inked with us.
    A lot of it is meaningless, but not all of it.

    A very good measuring stick is the offer list. When we sign someone, the list of viable offers that player had in hand is easily retrievable, and tells you how well we are doing in recruiting.

    Why do you think the focus is always on Tech, USM and Tulane? Because their signees have had offer lists that dwarf our signees' offer lists for about the last 20 years.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    broussard,la
    Posts
    6,515
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: How Nick Saban's Alabama 'Process' is being channeled in Cajun Country

    Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    Spot on. We got trounced in recruiting this year, but that was to be expected with the late start. Napier has to make a splash this year and start getting players attached to the 3 schools you mentioned. I will not be a believer until I see a tangible uptick in the quality of athlete brought in.
    Btw, that was a great article. Too bad our local guys can't do something like this.
    The guys we got after the recruiting season have really good potential ..

  11. #51
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    4,683

    Default Re: How Nick Saban's Alabama 'Process' is being channeled in Cajun Country

    Quote Originally Posted by basinbear View Post
    Local guys? That would take some effort....
    The Univ just needs to hire Luke to write for us & about us

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Metairie,LA
    Posts
    4,177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by angeleast View Post
    The guys we got after the recruiting season have really good potential ..
    The guys we sign every year have really good potential. Most "projects" do not turn into difference makers.

  13. #53
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Metairie,LA
    Posts
    4,177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    I don't buy we got trounced in recruiting this year. Nor do I think we did well. I am so convinced recruiting rankings at our level are so meaningless that I was tempted to use the word "know"in describing my opinion of those. Also, the rankings on signing day did not include the late DL guys who inked with us.
    I agree rankings are not the be all, end all, but as Cajunnation said...who is offering matters. We have been losing the individual recruiting battles against Tech, Tulane and SMiss for a while now. I love the buzz surrounding our program, but it has to be translated into getting more polished athletes. We have way to many "raw" and "under the radar" players.

    As for the DL players, anyone who cant get major snaps on this defense has to be considered a bust. I would expect them to play early and often.

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    778

    Default Re: How Nick Saban's Alabama 'Process' is being channeled in Cajun Country

    When you build a solid foundation it takes longer to see the building.

    I have no idea what our record will be nor do I really care.

    He's gonna build this thing to last. If that means we win two games this year, so be it.


  15. #55
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.
    Posts
    6,772

    Default Re: How Nick Saban's Alabama 'Process' is being channeled in Cajun Country

    Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    ...who is offering matters. We have been losing the individual recruiting battles against Tech, Tulane and SMiss for a while now..
    The offer list and the dreaded stars show the talent gap coming in to the program. Nothing is better than P5 wins to show the talent gap on the field.

    From 1997-2017:

    Southern Miss: Illinois, Pittsburgh, Alabama, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma State x2, Illinois x2, Nebraska, North Carolina State, Virginia, Kansas, Virginia x2, Kentucky

    Tech: California, Alabama, Alabama x2, Oklahoma State, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Illinois, Virginia, Illinois x2

    Louisiana: Kansas State

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    9,547

    Default Re: How Nick Saban's Alabama 'Process' is being channeled in Cajun Country

    Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    When you build a solid foundation it takes longer to see the building.

    I have no idea what our record will be nor do I really care.

    He's gonna build this thing to last. If that means we win two games this year, so be it.
    I hope you are right. At this stage and with the resources we are dumping into coach Napier and his staff, we honestly can't really afford for this not to work out. I'm not as certain as some that this will be a homerun but looking forward to seeing the results. I also disagree that wins this year are inconsequential. If Hud was such a poor coach and this staff is such an improvement, we should be able to win games immediately, at least do better in conference. I know we will get hit hard by the likes of Alabama but we have a lot of offensive talent and if they are as good as advertised (coaches) we should be able to put up a lot more points this year..

  17. #57
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Metairie,LA
    Posts
    4,177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    The offer list and the dreaded stars show the talent gap coming in to the program. Nothing is better than P5 wins to show the talent gap on the field.

    From 1997-2017:

    Southern Miss: Illinois, Pittsburgh, Alabama, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma State x2, Illinois x2, Nebraska, North Carolina State, Virginia, Kansas, Virginia x2, Kentucky

    Tech: California, Alabama, Alabama x2, Oklahoma State, Michigan State, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Illinois, Virginia, Illinois x2

    Louisiana: Kansas State
    Very telling, and this is not entirely a coaching issue. Both of those other programs have made mediocre hires during this span. My take is that conference affiliation is the most important aspect to success.

  18. #58
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    9,547

    Default Re: How Nick Saban's Alabama 'Process' is being channeled in Cajun Country

    Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    Very telling, and this is not entirely a coaching issue. Both of those other programs have made mediocre hires during this span. My take is that conference affiliation is the lost important aspect to success.
    I think you are right but SBC teams have still been able to recruit well despite the conference. Look at what Arkansas State and Troy have done. ASU is bringing in higher level talent and transfers. Their QB is the real deal and could play at a lot of places.

  19. #59
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.
    Posts
    6,772

    Default Re: How Nick Saban's Alabama 'Process' is being channeled in Cajun Country

    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    I think you are right but SBC teams have still been able to recruit well despite the conference. Look at what Arkansas State and Troy have done. ASU is bringing in higher level talent and transfers. Their QB is the real deal and could play at a lot of places.
    Troy has been FBS since 2001. They have wins over Mississippi State, Missouri, Oklahoma State and LSU. Just off of last season, they should be crushing recruiting.

    stAte only has a win over Texas A&M in 2008, but they have a string of conference championships and a string of getting their head coach hired by P5 programs.

    We have had facilities, Bowl games and lots of silly, geeked up unis for the recruits to see.

    What works?

    Winning. Winning often. Winning loudly(P5)

  20. #60
    Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    7,739

    Default Re: How Nick Saban's Alabama 'Process' is being channeled in Cajun Country

    Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    Very telling, and this is not entirely a coaching issue. Both of those other programs have made mediocre hires during this span. My take is that conference affiliation is the most important aspect to success.
    Conference affiliation is a major factor. HOwever as others have pointed out there are schools in our league that have had success despite this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •