_ _ _ _
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sun Belt Conference Baseball Championship Headed to Montgomery in 2020

1. UL Baseball Sun Belt Conference Baseball Championship Headed to Montgomery in 2020

The Sun Belt Conference announced today (May 10) that Montgomery, Ala., will be the host site for the league's annual baseball championship beginning in 2020.

The rest of the story

LOUISIANA AC

BeauCajun is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Sun Belt Conference Baseball Championship Headed to Montgomery in 2020

That sucks. Dang for 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by BeauCajun View Post
    That sucks. Dang for 5 years.
    Ugghhhh!!!! This off campus stuff needs to stop.

Default Re: Sun Belt Conference Baseball Championship Headed to Montgomery in 2020

No. It needs to happen.

Every league rated above the Sun Belt has its tournament at a neutral site. (Except the Pac-12 which doesn't have a tournament.)

It's past time we be big boys.

Montgomery has gone through a downtown revitalization (the ball park is downtown). It's a great ball park and the city will support it.

This is a good move.

It's a terrible move. Nobody in that city will go watch Sunbelt baseball. I can guarantee you that I won't go there. Frickin Montgomery. You got to be ____tin me

ZoomZoom is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Localyokel View Post
    It's a terrible move. Nobody in that city will go watch Sunbelt baseball. I can guarantee you that I won't go there. Frickin Montgomery. You got to be ____tin me
    We need to act like big boys and go neutral site. However, what an utter stupid move with Montgomery, given the SEC tournament is down the road in Hoover.

Carl got discounted green fees for sure.

My preference would be Biloxi - right across from the Beau Rivage - but CUSA was there last year and not sure how long that agreement is.

Next option would be Baby Cakes Park (or whatever they call the Shrine on Airline now).

No artificial turf. better hope it doesn't rain.

Good point. They should pick a site that has artificial turf - or we'll end up with single elimination tourney like at GS last year.

Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    No. It needs to happen.

Every league rated above the Sun Belt has its tournament at a neutral site. (Except the Pac-12 which doesn't have a tournament.)

Montgomery has gone through a downtown revitalization (the ball park is downtown). It's a great ball park and the city will support it.

This is a good move.
    Yes dozen and dozen of fans will flock to that game

No. It needs to happen.

This is a good move.
    Can we be big boys in a city better than Montgomery? I'd even take Pensacola at this point. At least there's a nice downtown AND a beach.

Blog Entries

No. It needs to happen.

This is a good move.
    Neutral location, yes, a good move.

Same repetitive location, no, its a bad move.

See same location New Orleans Bowl complaints, and that's with the opponent changing every year in the best bowl venue in the world.

In this instance you've played most of the teams 6 times already. Multiply that each year, same location.

Big Boys aren't infallible, neither am I.

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    Can we be big boys in a city better than Montgomery? I'd even take Pensacola at this point. At least there's a nice downtown AND a beach.
    Pensacola is a pretty good idea. And that ball park they just built on the water is insanely nice.

I like the idea, just not the length of the contract. If it is not well supported, 5 years is a long time to be stuck in an arrangement. Montgomery is a nice southern town with a couple of excellent golf courses in nearby Prattville. I think most people making the trip will enjoy it.

Boomer is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Pensacola is a pretty good idea. And that ball park they just built on the water is insanely nice.
    ......With venues and facilities in consideration, the thought popped up on these criteria in the UL situation. Do we have the facilities and the town to compete on the big stage......just guessing that our baseball, softball, and men's and womens basketball stadia are at a big12 level.....football not close! As far as a town goes, I think we are ok with highways in and a quick change from Houst, Dall, and Atl for flights....comments please......btw the endowment is at $175 million which puts us way ahead of our state schools other than LSU but far behind the big 12ers I would guess!

Nice thread jack Boomer!

My biggest concern with a neutral site is the interest level and how much the local area will support and promote. We just finished discssuing how SBC basketball is losing money on the tourney because of a similar set up.

Montgomery is a nice enough city, but if you haven't been there, you probably don't know it. I'd like to know what all went into the decision.

Schools that never host (UTA, ULM, App, LR, Ark State, GaSt) plus Troy (proximity) decide that schools that take baseball seriously don't get the opportunity to host anymore.

Frenchie35 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Opened in 2004, Riverwalk Stadium seats 4,500 patrons and can accommodate up to 7,000 fans when general admission tickets are included.

Does this mean that general admission (2500) has no seats? And if they do have seats, why not say the stadium seats 7,000?

Blog Entries

No. It needs to happen.

This is a good move.
    Considering the need for a neutral site as you have stated, there are nice ball parks in Pensacola and Biloxi. Outside of UL, Troy and South Alabama, Coastal Carolina is the only other program that's games are well attended. If Benson was concerned about attendance, those two parks make more sense for the Sun Belt Conference.

Montgomery's downtown revitalization is simply a side consideration and is less important than attendance revenue.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast