_ _ _ _

Thread: Kickoffs won't be the same.......

Default Kickoffs won't be the same.......

The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel approved altering football's kickoff rules to allow the receiving team to fair catch the kick inside the 25-yard line and have it result in a touchback beginning in the 2018 season.......

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/...-rule-approved

Frenchie35 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Kickoffs won't be the same.......

Just have a flag to grab on their belts. No tackle on kick offs. After that only tackle from the belly button and upper thighs.

This is good for us and most G5 schools who do not have a solid KO guy or good athletes on KO coverage. Hopefully one day they will get rid of it altogether. I say the return team gets it on the 20 if you score a TD and the 30 if you score a field goal. Would make for some interesting coaching decisions.

welcome to the land of squibs, all day errday

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    This is good for us and most G5 schools who do not have a solid KO guy or good athletes on KO coverage. Hopefully one day they will get rid of it altogether. I say the return team gets it on the 20 if you score a TD and the 30 if you score a field goal. Would make for some interesting coaching decisions.
    Touchdown and a 2-point conversion puts the ball at the 10.

RaginScotsman is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

So it's still an option like a punt? You can run with it or fair catch it?

Quote Originally Posted by RaginScotsman View Post
    So it's still an option like a punt? You can run with it or fair catch it?
    if you fair catch it anywhere inside the 25 yard line, the ball gets brought out to the 25 to start the possession. those sky kicks to the 6 between the number and the sideline wont be nearly as effective.

with this new rule, i think they should add the following:

on any kick off, if the ball bounces in the field of play and goes out of bounds, that is where the ball is marked to play. (obviously if ball flies out of bounds, it needs to still come out to the 35)

Frenchie35 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

This is a mess.

CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Football as we knew it is dead. We're barely going to recognize it in another decade. But we're saving all those 🧠 damaged high school, Pop Warner, and college kids from an ugly old age.

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    You have to be kidding. Come on, dude. All this "it's not fair because we're G5" crap needs to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    You have to be kidding. Come on, dude. All this "it's not fair because we're G5" crap needs to stop.
    Did I say it's not fair? I said our athletes are not as good as P5 athletes. Kickoffs is a place where the discrepancy is more visible. The new rules will help us in our SEC games.

BeauCajun is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Speaking of rule changes, I found this interesting piece regarding changes in the transfer policy.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/...nsfer-proposal

Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by BeauCajun View Post
    Speaking of rule changes, I found this interesting piece regarding changes in the transfer policy.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/...nsfer-proposal
    This will make transferring more prevalent. It will also increase incentives for schools to get transfers from schools they are playing the next season or regularly. Still, I support this move as it gives kids freedom to go where they may be a better fit if they make a bad decision initially. You will still have to sit out a year so there is still an incentive to stay where you are.

CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

The penalties need to be severe for cheaters to avoid what's happening in basketball payoffs.