_ _ _ _
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: OT: Dustin Poirier is a BADDDD man

Default Re: OT: Dustin Poirier is a BADDDD man

As much damage as his leg took, he has taken more damage to a leg in a fight. Go back and watch his fight at featherweight with Jason Young, DP was in a wheel chair for the flight home. He was hurting, but he didn't start shooting to keep the fight on the ground and grind him out.

I think the next LW title fight is between McGregor and Khabib. The iron is cherry red for striking it big on that one and the UFC will make a boat load off of it. With at least 3-4 months to build up that fight, plus at least another 3 months after that fight for the champ to rest, I don't see Dustin or the UFC waiting 6-9 months for that title shot.

Best case scenario in my opinion is that Dustin runs it back with Eddie since they both just TKO'd Gaethje, with the winner getting the next shot. (Tony is a non-factor here since he most likely won't be ready to start training on his knee at a championship level for at least 9 months) However, I feel like Dustin will be the first alternate should Conor or Khabib have to pull out of their match due to injury.

Quote Originally Posted by TCbacker54 View Post
    As much damage as his leg took, he has taken more damage to a leg in a fight. Go back and watch his fight at featherweight with Jason Young, DP was in a wheel chair for the flight home. He was hurting, but he didn't start shooting to keep the fight on the ground and grind him out.

I think the next LW title fight is between McGregor and Khabib. The iron is cherry red for striking it big on that one and the UFC will make a boat load off of it. With at least 3-4 months to build up that fight, plus at least another 3 months after that fight for the champ to rest, I don't see Dustin or the UFC waiting 6-9 months for that title shot.

Best case scenario in my opinion is that Dustin runs it back with Eddie since they both just TKO'd Gaethje, with the winner getting the next shot. (Tony is a non-factor here since he most likely won't be ready to start training on his knee at a championship level for at least 9 months) However, I feel like Dustin will be the first alternate should Conor or Khabib have to pull out of their match due to injury.
    I pretty much agree with you except I don't see Conor defending the belt. He is not really into defending and wants money shots. I think there's a better shot at him fighting Diaz again or possibly GSP than there is of him fighting for the belt. Kabib is the fight to make there but I'm not holding my breath.

I think Conor can get away with one more boxing match before boxing and MMA fans realize the farce that is Conor McGregor boxing. I believe that match up will most likely be against Paulie Malignaggi due to their falling out during the May-Gregor camp. I have also heard Pacquiao's name thrown around, but I doubt it.

The Diaz trilogy fight is waiting to happen for sure. I am interested to see how much longer the UFC wants to hold up the lightweight division. It feels like it has been forever since we have had an undisputed champion in that division. Remember, just because they stripped him doesn't mean Tony Ferg wasn't belted as a champion before.

There is a ton of unfinished business in that division and Conor is in a position to owe Uncle Dana for the trouble he caused. Maybe they make he defend the belt before any money fights to smooth things over.

Then again, McGregor gets mauled by Nurmagomedov anyways.

I will admit that I have not watched much open glove fighting and agree with Zephyr and J1M on the intent of pokes.
    If they are all that good I will probably watch more. I am probably still mad about our guy getting poked in eye by UTA in Belt roundball tourney. I also was not home and had no way to rewind some of those shots.

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CajunPride View Post
    I think you misunderstood. Gotse pokes Justin in eye when Justin was gaining control of bout and received a warning. In next round or 2, Gotse pokes him again in the other eye in what looked like a right jab and loses a point. Poirrier was seeing red out of both eyes. Justin poked Gotse in the eye at the end of a round and I do not know if it was intentional or not, but justified regardless.
    I saw what happened... I don't think Justin intended to gain an advantage by poking Dustin either time. Do I think he has a bad habit... yes... but he isn't a dirty fighter. The referee handled it correctly. And I don't think Dustin stuck his pinky in Justin's eye as payback. Bullets are flying and you want those you fired to hurt more than the ones you're catching. You go from being extremely nervous and amped up with juice you didn't know your body has... to taking a beating while you hope to give a better one. And after adrenalin x 1000 has been slamming you... you or he can't go any more... or time runs out... and a guy wants you to describe it. I listened to Rogan one night interview a guy he'd done a post fight with a week before. He said, "Why were you so ____ed off when I asked about your fight? You won dude." The guy said, "It wasn't you Joe... I just couldn't remember what happened during the fight." It was a head banging fest.

It's all good. I just love the sport. I wouldn't want to be them. Love the training part of it. But I prefer hitting inanimate objects that don't hit back.

Blog Entries

I think Conor can get away with one more boxing match before boxing and MMA fans realize the farce that is Conor McGregor boxing. I believe that match up will most likely be against Paulie Malignaggi due to their falling out during the May-Gregor camp. I have also heard Pacquiao's name thrown around, but I doubt it.

The Diaz trilogy fight is waiting to happen for sure. I am interested to see how much longer the UFC wants to hold up the lightweight division. It feels like it has been forever since we have had an undisputed champion in that division. Remember, just because they stripped him doesn't mean Tony Ferg wasn't belted as a champion before.

There is a ton of unfinished business in that division and Conor is in a position to owe Uncle Dana for the trouble he caused. Maybe they make he defend the belt before any money fights to smooth things over.

Your two last posts are spot on. Khabib and Conor is a box office gold mine. The UFC knows it. Conor's juvenile behavior is mega juice for a monster money grab. And Dustin will need to fight before that settles out. I do look forward to the Diaz trilogy. I agree Khabib is a beast Conor probably can't deal with... but I want to see it. Conor could possibly tag Khabib... but Khabib will probably just barrel through him and manhandle him. I've also thought a Paulie-Conor boxing spectacle would happen - just think the latest Conor stuff stole too much sunlight from the old Paulie-Conor feud. Don't see it happening now - but who knows.

Personally, I'm tired of Conor. I want the fights. I just don't care for the theatrics.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    Personally, I'm tired of Conor. I want the fights. I just don't care for the theatrics.
    I feel you on this. He has yet to defend his title, which I believe is the true mark of a champion. Anyone can win a one off fight (See Matt Serra) but the true champions defend.

I don't think McGregor is Serra by any stretch in that regard, he is a talent but I fear he is wasting his talent and this game is passing people by quicker and quicker than in years past. Randy Couture and Dan Henderson comebacks just aren't happening anymore. Brock Lesnar and GSP are maybe one of the only freaks that I could see having comebacks. And even then, GSP looked beatable in some exchanges against Bisping and we all know Lesnar's achilles is getting punched in the face.

I think it is awesome that you love the training part of it. I wish more people would give it a go. You don't have to fight just because you train. It is literally the best workout to find out what you are made of while pushing yourself to the limits and getting into the best shape of your life. I am a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Black Belt, if you ever have the itch to train, hit me up and we can catch some rounds.

Conor will never bow down to Dana. I think this is unchartered waters for White as he will not be able to control Conor like he has the rest of his fighters. Ferguson nor Conor are the champion so there is nothing to defend. They have to come get it from Kabib. I just think Conor wants nothing to do with him and his style and will continue to go after fights that are bigger draws or stylistically better for him. Sucks.

Your two last posts are spot on. Khabib and Conor is a box office gold mine. The UFC knows it. Conor's juvenile behavior is mega juice for a monster money grab. And Dustin will need to fight before that settles out. I do look forward to the Diaz trilogy. I agree Khabib is a beast Conor probably can't deal with... but I want to see it. Conor could possibly tag Khabib... but Khabib will probably just barrel through him and manhandle him. I've also thought a Paulie-Conor boxing spectacle would happen - just think the latest Conor stuff stole too much sunlight from the old Paulie-Conor feud. Don't see it happening now - but who knows.

The funny thing about Conor is that Jon Jones has been suspended and dragged through the proverbial media mud for his issues but Conor has brought more of a black eye to the brand and sport with his crap and you don't hear a whole lot. You've heard Jones apologize and for the most part carry himself well when not inside the cage but Conor is a classic ____ talker and carries himself more poorly IMO but it seems to be more respected.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Conor will never bow down to Dana. I think this is unchartered waters for White as he will not be able to control Conor like he has the rest of his fighters. Ferguson nor Conor are the champion so there is nothing to defend. They have to come get it from Kabib. I just think Conor wants nothing to do with him and his style and will continue to go after fights that are bigger draws or stylistically better for him. Sucks.
    While Conor may never bow down to Dana, the idea that Dana/WME can't control Conor's future is off. These fighters are locked into contracts with no compete clauses. Just look at the hurdles and negotiation that had to take place to allow Conor to take that fight with Mayweather. And rightfully so as well. The UFC dumped all kind of promotional money into McGregor and built him up into the star he is today. While Conor fulfilled his end of the deal by winning, don't think he isn't a product of the monster marketing machine either.

If you don't agree then ask yourself why people are just now finding out about how dominant Khabib is. Dude is 26-0 and you are just getting hyped about him now? We have known this guy is a killer since he dismantled Tibau and Tavares back in 2012/2013, but the casual fan really didn't know who he was until the Michael Johnson fight in 2016.

While Conor's ego may not let him give in to Dana, it will give into whatever agreement he signed and if he is on the hook for 3 more fights then he isn't fighting ANYWHERE (WWE Included) until the UFC gets those three fights.

Blog Entries

I feel you on this. He has yet to defend his title, which I believe is the true mark of a champion. Anyone can win a one off fight (See Matt Serra) but the true champions defend.

I don't think McGregor is Serra by any stretch in that regard, he is a talent but I fear he is wasting his talent and this game is passing people by quicker and quicker than in years past. Randy Couture and Dan Henderson comebacks just aren't happening anymore. Brock Lesnar and GSP are maybe one of the only freaks that I could see having comebacks. And even then, GSP looked beatable in some exchanges against Bisping and we all know Lesnar's achilles is getting punched in the face.

I think it is awesome that you love the training part of it. I wish more people would give it a go. You don't have to fight just because you train. It is literally the best workout to find out what you are made of while pushing yourself to the limits and getting into the best shape of your life. I am a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Black Belt, if you ever have the itch to train, hit me up and we can catch some rounds.
    Is this Tim?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    The funny thing about Conor is that Jon Jones has been suspended and dragged through the proverbial media mud for his issues but Conor has brought more of a black eye to the brand and sport with his crap and you don't hear a whole lot. You've heard Jones apologize and for the most part carry himself well when not inside the cage but Conor is a classic ____ talker and carries himself more poorly IMO but it seems to be more respected.
    As TC pointed out, the UFC (and Dana) are into it up to their eyeballs with the franchise called Conor McGregor. He's still, worldwide, capable of hauling in a fortune for Dana and the UFC. The UFC isn't "fair". Conor delivers the goods... and his fight promotion skills are off the charts. I think the Khabib thing that TD points out is his low key workman' approach. He doesn't have that Irish insanity behind his star power. But Khabib has proven himself beyond Conor.

Conor is going to settle out of court for the bus antics, take a slap on the wrist legally, and in the end... he just promoted a monster fight for him and Khabib (and Dana/UFC). I don't know what Conor thinks, realistically, about Khabib. I doubt he thinks he'll lose to him - he thinks he's invincible. And even so, he's going to get paid a small fortune... win or lose.

Conor is unstable as a young athlete with money. He needs to fight. I also know what TC wrote earlier is true. And it's kind of a shame for MMA. You can rise to the top... become the star... and the sport can mash you and run you out. Few fighters are going to have long runs as the champion. And even the greatest aren't going to achieve comebacks. Khabib, Mighty Mouse and Cyborg are the current exceptions. They are above their peers. The vast majority of MMA fighters are brutalizing each other, no one can dominate, and as soon as you barely fall, climbing back up is brutal. Dustin is doing it... but will he be in contention when Khabib and Conor fight - whenever that happens. I hope so. I want him to get that money fight for all the marbles.

Is this Tim?
    No, I am one of his black belts though.

TC stands for the high school I attended, Teurlings Catholic.

While Conor may never bow down to Dana, the idea that Dana/WME can't control Conor's future is off. These fighters are locked into contracts with no compete clauses. Just look at the hurdles and negotiation that had to take place to allow Conor to take that fight with Mayweather. And rightfully so as well. The UFC dumped all kind of promotional money into McGregor and built him up into the star he is today. While Conor fulfilled his end of the deal by winning, don't think he isn't a product of the monster marketing machine either.

If you don't agree then ask yourself why people are just now finding out about how dominant Khabib is. Dude is 26-0 and you are just getting hyped about him now? We have known this guy is a killer since he dismantled Tibau and Tavares back in 2012/2013, but the casual fan really didn't know who he was until the Michael Johnson fight in 2016.

While Conor's ego may not let him give in to Dana, it will give into whatever agreement he signed and if he is on the hook for 3 more fights then he isn't fighting ANYWHERE (WWE Included) until the UFC gets those three fights.
    Conor has dodged fighting based on that contract he signed, that is why they have stripped him twice. Conor has evolved in terms of image, yes, due to the marketing of the UFC but also because he has created this figure on his own. I give more credit to that than the UFC to be honest. You said it yourself, look how long it took Khabib to get to this point after nearly 30 fights. He doesn't have the boisterous personality that Conor has and of course his injuries have derailed him for a while there.

I just think that Conor is the first fighter that Dana can't truly control in terms of dictating who he fights, when he fights and where he fights. He wins the belt and then sits on it. True that Dana is controlling him by stripping him of it but Conor is also controlling the situation by choosing not to defend and likely getting 3 fights against Diaz who will likely not content for another belt. Dana is used to walking into those press conferences and saying this person will fight that person on this date and that's it. He doesn't get to do that necessarily with Conor and it sucks.

As TC pointed out, the UFC (and Dana) are into it up to their eyeballs with the franchise called Conor McGregor. He's still, worldwide, capable of hauling in a fortune for Dana and the UFC. The UFC isn't "fair". Conor delivers the goods... and his fight promotion skills are off the charts. I think the Khabib thing that TD points out is his low key workman' approach. He doesn't have that Irish insanity behind his star power. But Khabib has proven himself beyond Conor.

Conor is going to settle out of court for the bus antics, take a slap on the wrist legally, and in the end... he just promoted a monster fight for him and Khabib (and Dana/UFC). I don't know what Conor thinks, realistically, about Khabib. I doubt he thinks he'll lose to him - he thinks he's invincible. And even so, he's going to get paid a small fortune... win or lose.

Conor is unstable as a young athlete with money. He needs to fight. I also know what TC wrote earlier is true. And it's kind of a shame for MMA. You can rise to the top... become the star... and the sport can mash you and run you out. Few fighters are going to have long runs as the champion. And even the greatest aren't going to achieve comebacks. Khabib, Mighty Mouse and Cyborg are the current exceptions. They are above their peers. The vast majority of MMA fighters are brutalizing each other, no one can dominate, and as soon as you barely fall, climbing back up is brutal. Dustin is doing it... but will he be in contention when Khabib and Conor fight - whenever that happens. I hope so. I want him to get that money fight for all the marbles.
    This is all true except you are assuming that Conor - Khabib will actually happen. We said the same thing for years with Mayweather and Manny. It made too much sense but both were afraid of each other or too prideful to get a deal done. By the time they made the fight happen, Manny had lost twice and the impact of the fight were diminished.

Conor is not interested in defending the belt. I think we'd all agree. He's interested in money fights and winning other titles which brings a lot of exposure to what he's doing. IMO, this is not good for the sport. Its great for hype but not good for the overall brand and sport itself.

I think Conor knows the risk that comes with fighting Khabib. It's a terrible matchup for him if he cant knockout Khabib in the first round or 2. I think the fight happens but look for him to try to explore every other option for a big pay day before he commits to this fight.

I heard today the leg is fine, but his cornea is scratched from the second eye poke.

Quote Originally Posted by CrappDaddy View Post
    I think Conor knows the risk that comes with fighting Khabib. It's a terrible matchup for him if he cant knockout Khabib in the first round or 2. I think the fight happens but look for him to try to explore every other option for a big pay day before he commits to this fight.
    This is correct. My only problem is that if you are going to fight and win a belt, you need to be willing to defend it. Khabib has the belt because Conor won't defend it. I know he's a ratings superstar but he's actually bad for the sport in some regards due to his lack of activity and holding up divisions.

Once you crack the top 5 of the division, every fight is a risk. The thing that makes Conor's situation so interesting and paradoxical is that even when he is being bad for the sport, he is being good for the sport. Everyone is going to pay to see that scrap against Khabib. You either want to see how to put together the puzzle that is Khabib or you want to see Conor clapped. Conor's "bad for the sport antics" probably just sold another 200k pay-per-views. Factor in that his contract calls for PPV points, the Irishman is about to get paid.

Regarding his lack of activity: While as a fan it drives me insane to see the best fighters in the stable only fight 1-2 times a year, I believe the UFC is following the less is more mentality with this (i.e.: GSP, Anderson, McGregor, Lesnar) Hell, Lesnar hasn't fought since UFC 200 but you can bet that when he comes back for a one-off fight (like his WWE contract calls for ) that PPV will generate over 1 million buys easily.

I am interested to see how the new TV contract is going to play out. It could be huge if ESPN gets in on the action. Bold Prediction Alert While I am not a fan of professional wrestling, I wouldn't be surprised if we start to see more crossovers between WWE and UFC in the future. I am not talking within the next 5-10 years, more like the next 15-20 years. There is too much money to be made by both sides by cross-promoting athletes. Before you say I am crazy, which you probably already have, remember that this is merely a prediction that could fall flat on its face. Also, if you were a fan back in the PRIDE FC days, alot of the marquee athletes would do Japanese pro-wrestling when they were out of camp. They would not only make a ton of money but they would also be exposing their name and brand to a whole new set of eyes. Like I said, it is a long shot for sure, but I would not be surprised if it happens either.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast