_ _ _ _
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: BB G3 Final: Louisiana 6, App St 2

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    You weren't being facetious... and your exaggeration wasn't that far off. Leaumont's ball is breaking at the magic spot. I wish I could watch his ball delivery from the plate. His release is effortless. I haven't seen him pitch enough to see his full battery of pitches... and for a stretch of repeat batters... but his command and control so far is very nice.
    I really was. A subtle (friendly) dig at the bullpen to this point, but his command has been impressive; others, not so much. Although overall, the pen has been better lately.

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Default Re: BB G3 Final: Louisiana 6, App St 2

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I really was. A subtle (friendly) dig at the bullpen to this point, but his command has been impressive; others, not so much. Although overall, the pen has been better lately.
    You're right. If Stoelke fully recovers from the groin issue... how this pitching group has performed lately gives me massive hope toward a strong season finish. Our batting almost looks like it's starting to work... and then it easily dissolves. I keep thinking a few of them are much better than we're seeing (including stats). Coaching aside... it is time for guys to start taking cuts at meaty strikes... stop standing and staring at close pitches with 2 strikes... and stop being fooled out of their shoes by junk 2 feet off the plate. I love Robe to death... but he should not allow generic batting philosophy to dominate the lineup. Some batters must jump on first pitch strikes... no matter how he "wants" pitch counts to work in his favor. I know they know more in one cell of their brain than we do in our entire cranium... but sometimes... being inside the tank isn't always the perfect view of the war.

Dad04 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Currently in a 3 way tie for 7th place with Troy and Texas State..

You're right. If Stoelke fully recovers from the groin issue... how this pitching group has performed lately gives me massive hope toward a strong season finish. Our batting almost looks like it's starting to work... and then it easily dissolves. I keep thinking a few of them are much better than we're seeing (including stats). Coaching aside... it is time for guys to start taking cuts at meaty strikes... stop standing and staring at close pitches with 2 strikes... and stop being fooled out of their shoes by junk 2 feet off the plate. I love Robe to death... but he should not allow generic batting philosophy to dominate the lineup. Some batters must jump on first pitch strikes... no matter how he "wants" pitch counts to work in his favor. I know they know more in one cell of their brain than we do in our entire cranium... but sometimes... being inside the tank isn't always the perfect view of the war.
    This brings up something I wanted to discuss. And Robe talked about this a little bit recently.

I do not subscribe to the blanket approach style of coaching. Yes, it is nice to have a lineup that can 1-9 bunt, handle the bat, run the bases, hit for average and power, be disciplined at the plate, etc.. But the reality is, we don't have that. I think each player should be accommodated (within reason) and the approach should adjust to their strengths. For example, I'm sure we all raise our kids a little bit differently. When dealing with my son, I put a premium on work ethic and respect for others. When dealing with my daughter, I focus on building self confidence and understanding self worth. We do these things in preperation of what they'll become later in life. I see it exactly the same in baseball. We need to be building and nuturing these guys' strengths rather than jamming square pegs in round holes. That way later on in the season, they can produce to their full potential. If that potential doesn't necessary fit into JT's in-game situational sheet, OH ____ING WELL.

Blog Entries

I do not subscribe to the blanket approach style of coaching. Yes, it is nice to have a lineup that can 1-9 bunt, handle the bat, run the bases, hit for average and power, be disciplined at the plate, etc.. But the reality is, we don't have that. I think each player should be accommodated (within reason) and the approach should adjust to their strengths. For example, I'm sure we all raise our kids a little bit differently. When dealing with my son, I put a premium on work ethic and respect for others. When dealing with my daughter, I focus on building self confidence and understanding self worth. We do these things in preperation of what they'll become later in life. I see it exactly the same in baseball. We need to be building and nuturing these guys' strengths rather than jamming square pegs in round holes. That way later on in the season, they can produce to their full potential. If that potential doesn't necessary fit into JT's in-game situational sheet ...
    I'm buying what you're selling.

CajunVic is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I'm buying what you're selling.
    Turbine, can you get with our good buddy Towwel Butt and see if we can't get him to consider buying what you buying? And if you get him out there shopping, can y'll see if you'll can pick up a "yield sign?"

Blog Entries

This brings up something I wanted to discuss. And Robe talked about this a little bit recently.

I do not subscribe to the blanket approach style of coaching. Yes, it is nice to have a lineup that can 1-9 bunt, handle the bat, run the bases, hit for average and power, be disciplined at the plate, etc.. But the reality is, we don't have that. I think each player should be accommodated (within reason) and the approach should adjust to their strengths. For example, I'm sure we all raise our kids a little bit differently. When dealing with my son, I put a premium on work ethic and respect for others. When dealing with my daughter, I focus on building self confidence and understanding self worth. We do these things in preperation of what they'll become later in life. I see it exactly the same in baseball. We need to be building and nuturing these guys' strengths rather than jamming square pegs in round holes. That way later on in the season, they can produce to their full potential. If that potential doesn't necessary fit into JT's in-game situational sheet, OH ____ING WELL.
    Absostinkinglutely! Raising kids and raising batters is very similar. You can have "rules that all family members live by"... but to demand the same out of each... is a simple man's guide to potentially horrific outcomes. I don't want to get into a religious debate... but a past friend of mine raised 4 kids. One of his sons is gay. And when I mean "gay", I mean 1000% gay from inception. My friend went into freaking parental mental absurdity over it. He cried, literally, to me a half dozen times... "I raised all 4 the same... how did this happen... I refuse to handle him differently". I literally almost came to blows with him. He let me in on that inside track... wanted my advice... supposedly... but wouldn't alter a single cell of his body. His son attempted suicide multiple times. I have ZERO patience for abject stupidity. If you want to believe the world is flat... I'll argue with you... and my blood pressure will never budge. If your ignorance places lives in peril... you might take one of the worst ___ whippings nightmares have never imagined.

I digress... I think Tony (and Jeremy) know you must teach all fundamentals... drive a philosophy... but apply individualism where necessary.

In life... I personally fight the survival of the individual. Far too many business managers use "team philosophy" to its crispy burned out edge. It isn't as bad as the overused under articulated "we must communicate" message... but it runs a close second. The individual is king... even on every team. And if you have 25 members of a team... you have 25 "Is". There's exactly the number of "Is" in team as there are team members! Use your brain instead of the herd's collective IQ!

Absostinkinglutely! Raising kids and raising batters is very similar. You can have "rules that all family members live by"... but to demand the same out of each... is a simple man's guide to potentially horrific outcomes. I don't want to get into a religious debate... but a past friend of mine raised 4 kids. One of his sons is gay. And when I mean "gay", I mean 1000% gay from inception. My friend went into freaking parental mental absurdity over it. He cried, literally, to me a half dozen times... "I raised all 4 the same... how did this happen... I refuse to handle him differently". I literally almost came to blows with him. He let me in on that inside track... wanted my advice... supposedly... but wouldn't alter a single cell of his body. His son attempted suicide multiple times. I have ZERO patience for abject stupidity. If you want to believe the world is flat... I'll argue with you... and my blood pressure will never budge. If your ignorance places lives in peril... you might take one of the worst ___ whippings nightmares have never imagined.

I digress... I think Tony (and Jeremy) know you must teach all fundamentals... drive a philosophy... but apply individualism where necessary.

In life... I personally fight the survival of the individual. Far too many business managers use "team philosophy" to its crispy burned out edge. It isn't as bad as the overused under articulated "we must communicate" message... but it runs a close second. The individual is king... even on every team. And if you have 25 members of a team... you have 25 "Is". There's exactly the number of "Is" in team as there are team members! Use your brain instead of the herd's collective IQ!
    If you listened to that interview I alluded to, you probably cringed like I did.
    I've always felt that JT treated an entire lineup as a collective rather than a group of "Is", like you said. It's probably my #1 concern with the guy.

Y'all are putting way too much thought into this. We missed on some recruits. We have no First baseman, we are playing a kid at 3B who is not ready and we have no power in the lineup. No coach can work with that. We are an injury away in some positions from playing guys we are trying to redshirt. This has been a complete failure by our staff to identify position players who can drive the ball to the gaps or over the fence. When the season ends we will have to jettison several position players and start with a new approach (hopefully with a new assistant coach).

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    Y'all are putting way too much thought into this. We missed on some recruits. We have no First baseman, we are playing a kid at 3B who is not ready and we have no power in the lineup. No coach can work with that. We are an injury away in some positions from playing guys we are trying to redshirt. This has been a complete failure by our staff to identify position players who can drive the ball to the gaps or over the fence. When the season ends we will have to jettison several position players and start with a new approach (hopefully with a new assistant coach).
    Regardless of the talent level, what we're discussing is absolutely accurate.

Anyway, you have no idea if we're missing on athletes or if we can't coach them. If it was such a recurring issue, why do our guys thrive elsewhere? There is no answer for it.

And even if we are missing on players, as it's been said ad nauseum, the hitting coach is recruiting his lineup himself. So.... yea.

Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

While all of Metry's comments make sense, I do think the previous posters made some good points. You can't coach every player the same way. That goes from a psychological and physical stand point. Find an approach or stance that works for one guy and it won't necessarily work for another. Also, some guys need encouragement constantly to reach their potential while others need to be chewed on a little. Key is to find out which method is most effective for each player. As far as what happens next season, I don't know how much of a change we will see. Right now, only three guys playing regularly in the field are seniors (Fontenot, Lafleur, and Stover). None of the others warrant being drafted so they will likely return and I expect they will improve. I do agree a focus needs to be on adding power to the lineup in the off season.

Blog Entries

The only thing that changes with injuries and a year of making a stack of mistakes in recruiting is "outcomes". In fact, it's the programs that have a stud at every position on the field that can forego "thinking hard" and just use generalized philosophy for the entire herd. When you're weak at positions, including all over your lineup, you have to walk back generalized philosophy and capitalize on any and every individual capability... and steer around individual weaknesses. This year, of all years, should be a focus on the individual batter. Do you think Tony institutes the same pitches and pitching philosophy with every pitcher? Does he not walk back early season rotations? Does he not look at every opponent batter and have his staff call pitches accordingly? Pitching is massively individualized. All Talbot has done is change the lineup. He needs to stop asking for skills out of batters they do not have. Its a subtle mix of philosophy and individualism.

Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Dad04 View Post
    Currently in a 3 way tie for 7th place with Troy and Texas State..
    Key is to get in Top 6. Wonder what kind of finish that will take. My guess is we must win 9 of the remaining 15 conference games. With the pitching lineup on the weekends appearing to now be solid that is quite doable. I expect the bats will continue to be erratic. However if they can get a little better at executing "small ball" and playing clean in the field, a strong finish is definitely something that can occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    While all of Metry's comments make sense, I do think the previous posters made some good points. You can't coach every player the same way. That goes from a psychological and physical stand point. Find an approach or stance that works for one guy and it won't necessarily work for another. Also, some guys need encouragement constantly to reach their potential while others need to be chewed on a little. Key is to find out which method is most effective for each player. As far as what happens next season, I don't know how much of a change we will see. Right now, only three guys playing regularly in the field are seniors (Fontenot, Lafleur, and Stover). None of the others warrant being drafted so they will likely return and I expect they will improve. I do agree a focus needs to be on adding power to the lineup in the off season.
    This is the problem. And maybe Metry is a baseball nut, but...
    Baseball is the most mental game (other than golf) out there. These little nuances matter more in baseball than any other sport. You're not shooting jump shots or packing on muscle to block better.. You're managing personalities, mental stability, 70% failure, long road trips and 56 game fatigue just as much as (if not more) than the actual game. The reasons for "why" can not be oversimplified.

I disagree with Metry on talent. We have talent, and enough talent to be productive, but we have failed to develope it on the offensive side since 2015. I have debated this ad nauseum so I aplogize for jumping back into it. I see our problem as largely a coaching issue. Players always have some responsibility. The ones who quit listening to Talbot the last three years (Edwards, Sensely, Robbins) are the ones that have had success. So I blame the players who don't ignore Talbot soon enough as the cause of their struggles. You also see guys with tons of talent who regressed like Trosclair and Lott. Trosclair redeemed himself in pro ball and mashes. Sensely, who had a good junior year, hit better in pro ball than he did with us.

I would be willing to bet there are several hitting coaches that would salavate at the opportunity to get their hands on Todd Lott, Monroe Moll, Handsome Monica, and even maybe Stover. These are guys that have both been big time hitters and have been projected to become great hitters by Major League Baseball. But with us, they look lost. That is coaching. JT seems to really struggle developing power hitters even more than talented contact hitters.

Meanwhile we have very young talent like Cantrelle and Windham. Cantrelle is figuring it out and I think that speaks to his talent and him going with his own approach. Windham is still figuring it out with the bat. Watching his body language in the box he is thinking too much and not trusting what he is seeing. His constant half swings when he gets fooled and his facial reaction tells the story. However, he is already an elite defender. He plays professional level defense at the corner already. He will figure it out with the bat and it will be sooner with a new coach. Windham will play at the next level and I predict he will be a great Cajun throughout his career too.

I can speak from experience in hitting that coaching can absolutely make you worse. It is such a mental and feel thing it doesn't take much to throw you off and out of whack. JT has done just that with his cookie cutter approach. Where JT has served us well is in getting talented recruits.

I watch a boat load of NCAA baseball on espn3 and believe me we have talent! Our team passes the eye test without question. We look more talented, from a physical standpoint, than most schools around the country.

The only thing that changes with injuries and a year of making a stack of mistakes in recruiting is "outcomes". In fact, it's the programs that have a stud at every position on the field that can forego "thinking hard" and just use generalized philosophy for the entire herd. When you're weak at positions, including all over your lineup, you have to walk back generalized philosophy and capitalize on any and every individual capability... and steer around individual weaknesses. This year, of all years, should be a focus on the individual batter. Do you think Tony institutes the same pitches and pitching philosophy with every pitcher? Does he not walk back early season rotations? Does he not look at every opponent batter and have his staff call pitches accordingly? Pitching is massively individualized. All Talbot has done is change the lineup. He needsa to stop asking for skills out of batters they do not have. Its a subtle mix of philosophy and individualism.
    My head just about exploded trying to read this!!!
    I do not know or care to know Talbots hitting philosophy. All I see is a bunch of singles hitters that are overmatched most of the time. I would assume by their HS stats and build that Lott, Moll and Stover were supposed to provide some power to the lineup. All have been busts. I find it near impossible for everyone on the team to be average to below average hitters, so I think Talbot should be getting heavily criticized.
    Lastly, How do we know if an individual approach is not being instituted by Talbot. Is this what the players are saying privately to friends and family? What is he asking the bottom half of the order to do that they cannot do? From my vantage point the thing they cannot do is hit a baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Rougarou View Post
    I disagree with Metry on talent. We have talent, and enough talent to be productive, but we have failed to develope it on the offensive side since 2015. I have debated this ad nauseum so I aplogize for jumping back into it. I see our problem as largely a coaching issue. Players always have some responsibility. The ones who quit listening to Talbot the last three years (Edwards, Sensely, Robbins) are the ones that have had success. So I blame the players who don't ignore Talbot soon enough as the cause of their struggles. You also see guys with tons of talent who regressed like Trosclair and Lott. Trosclair redeemed himself in pro ball and mashes. Sensely, who had a good junior year, hit better in pro ball than he did with us.

I would be willing to bet there are several hitting coaches that would salavate at the opportunity to get their hands on Todd Lott, Monroe Moll, Handsome Monica, and even maybe Stover. These are guys that have both been big time hitters and have been projected to become great hitters by Major League Baseball. But with us, they look lost. That is coaching. JT seems to really struggle developing power hitters even more than talented contact hitters.

Meanwhile we have very young talent like Cantrelle and Windham. Cantrelle is figuring it out and I think that speaks to his talent and him going with his own approach. Windham is still figuring it out with the bat. Watching his body language in the box he is thinking too much and not trusting what he is seeing. His constant half swings when he gets fooled and his facial reaction tells the story. However, he is already an elite defender. He plays professional level defense at the corner already. He will figure it out with the bat and it will be sooner with a new coach. Windham will play at the next level and I predict he will be a great Cajun throughout his career too.

I can speak from experience in hitting that coaching can absolutely make you worse. It is such a mental and feel thing it doesn't take much to throw you off and out of whack. JT has done just that with his cookie cutter approach. Where JT has served us well is in getting talented recruits.
    What position players will be drafted this year? We have a lot of draft eligible players. A program like ours should be producing draft eligible players every year. Agree with Cantrelle. He looks great for a Frosh and I hope you are right on the 3B. He should be platooning with an upperclassmen, but none of those guys have shown anything. He is overmatched at the plate at this juncture of his career.
    And I am not disputing the role of a hitting coach. Talbot is clearly not getting it done.

Lastly, How do we know if an individual approach is not being instituted by Talbot. Is this what the players are saying privately to friends and family?
    MAT has mentioned speaking to former players, current players and their respective families. I have spoken to coaches and staff that have worked with JT. That's how I know.

What position players will be drafted this year? We have a lot of draft eligible players. A program like ours should be producing draft eligible players every year. Agree with Cantrelle. He looks great for a Frosh and I hope you are right on the 3B. He should be platooning with an upperclassmen, but none of those guys have shown anything. He is overmatched at the plate at this juncture of his career.
    And I am not disputing the role of a hitting coach. Talbot is clearly not getting it done.
    Monica would have been the only one without the injury. Stover is a former draft pick that had promise to be much better than he was. That's it this year. Bourgeois and Lahare could develope into late round prospects next year but I don't see it this year. With a better hitting coach those two would probably be drafted this year.

Example is Deggs who takes guys that weren't on professional baseball's radar and turns them into pro prospects. JT takes pro prospect players and makes them persona non grata with pro ball.

You and I are basically discussing the chicken and the egg paradox.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast