_ _ _ _
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 243

Thread: BB G3 Final: Louisiana 6, App St 2

  1. #181
    Dad04's Avatar
    Dad04 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    337
    Posts
    5,262

    Default Re: BB G3 Final: Louisiana 6, App St 2

    Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    Y'all are putting way too much thought into this. We missed on some recruits. We have no First baseman, we are playing a kid at 3B who is not ready and we have no power in the lineup. No coach can work with that. We are an injury away in some positions from playing guys we are trying to redshirt. This has been a complete failure by our staff to identify position players who can drive the ball to the gaps or over the fence. When the season ends we will have to jettison several position players and start with a new approach (hopefully with a new assistant coach).
    I hope they keep winning. By winning, I mean overachieving.

  2. #182
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Metairie,LA
    Posts
    3,936

    Default Re: BB G3 Final: Louisiana 6, App St 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Dad04 View Post
    I hope they keep winning. By winning, I mean overachieving.
    Something we can all agree on!!!!

  3. #183
    Dad04's Avatar
    Dad04 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    337
    Posts
    5,262

    Default Re: BB G3 Final: Louisiana 6, App St 2

    We are missing offensive talent on the roster AND coaching talent on the coaching staff. I won't name names, but we have zero power, despite a few elevation aided bombs this weekend. We have some position players that look like they belong on an 8th grade team.

    In two seasons we have somehow turned a 6'-4", 220 lb., 20th round pick, All American high school outfielder into possibly the worst hitter in the Sunbelt. Yet he made the Alaska Summer League All Star team, less than a year ago. If they were doctors, the coaches would be sued for malpractice, and lose. This is completely bizarre.

    This alone is the most epic failure this team has seen in years, other than the freshman ALL American pitcher who threw 100 MPH yet only pitched 22 innings total his last two seasons here.


  4. #184
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    4,174

    Default Re: BB G3 Final: Louisiana 6, App St 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Dad04 View Post
    We are missing offensive talent on the roster AND coaching talent on the coaching staff. I won't name names, but we have zero power, despite a few elevation aided bombs this weekend. We have some position players that look like they belong on an 8th grade team.

    In two seasons we have somehow turned a 6'-4", 220 lb., 20th round pick, All American high school outfielder into possibly the worst hitter in the Sunbelt. Yet he made the Alaska Summer League All Star team, less than a year ago. If they were doctors, the coaches would be sued for malpractice, and lose. This alone is the most epic failure this team has seen in years.
    Can't talk about stats in baseball as long as we best 100+ Rpi teams stats mean nothing according to dead air

  5. #185
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    9,615
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: BB G3 Final: Louisiana 6, App St 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Dad04 View Post
    We are missing offensive talent on the roster AND coaching talent on the coaching staff. I won't name names, but we have zero power, despite a few elevation aided bombs this weekend. We have some position players that look like they belong on an 8th grade team.

    In two seasons we have somehow turned a 6'-4", 220 lb., 20th round pick, All American high school outfielder into possibly the worst hitter in the Sunbelt. Yet he made the Alaska Summer League All Star team, less than a year ago. If they were doctors, the coaches would be sued for malpractice, and lose. This is completely bizarre.

    This alone is the most epic failure this team has seen in years, other than the freshman ALL American pitcher who threw 100 MPH yet only pitched 22 innings total his last two seasons here.
    Are we missing offensive talent, or has it not been developed? You mention Lott, not by name but what about Moll, Windham that were All-Region Perfect Game or Honorable All-Amercian? Fontenot was Mr. Baseball twice, signed with Oklahoma State, Monica signed with Arizona, Stover played at Kansas before transferring to JC. McKinnon was also committed to Oklahoma St when he decided to sign with UL.

    Is it really just the perfect storm with injuries and youth? There is enough statistical evidence to suggest otherwise and it needs to change next year.

  6. #186
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,990

    Default Re: BB G3 Final: Louisiana 6, App St 2

    The talent is there. Prime example is Stover, who batted .291 as a Freshman at Kansas State against Big 12 pitching. He batted .344 in JUCO. These past two years, his batting avg. is ~.170. Now, how does that add up? It doesn't. You then have Lott who is one of the best batters in that Alaska League, was offered a full ride by Florida State; and here we are celebrating in the streets every time he gets a hit. It's obvious that there's something wrong with this picture.

    You literally have to TRY to get those batters to produce stats like the kind that they have this season. It's not like that talent just went away with old age. What JT is trying to convey obviously isn't going in between the ears of our batters.


  7. #187
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    16,166

    Default Re: BB G3 Final: Louisiana 6, App St 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Rougarou View Post
    I disagree with Metry on talent. We have talent, and enough talent to be productive, but we have failed to develope it on the offensive side since 2015. I have debated this ad nauseum so I aplogize for jumping back into it. I see our problem as largely a coaching issue. Players always have some responsibility. The ones who quit listening to Talbot the last three years (Edwards, Sensely, Robbins) are the ones that have had success. So I blame the players who don't ignore Talbot soon enough as the cause of their struggles. You also see guys with tons of talent who regressed like Trosclair and Lott. Trosclair redeemed himself in pro ball and mashes. Sensely, who had a good junior year, hit better in pro ball than he did with us.

    I would be willing to bet there are several hitting coaches that would salavate at the opportunity to get their hands on Todd Lott, Monroe Moll, Handsome Monica, and even maybe Stover. These are guys that have both been big time hitters and have been projected to become great hitters by Major League Baseball. But with us, they look lost. That is coaching. JT seems to really struggle developing power hitters even more than talented contact hitters.

    Meanwhile we have very young talent like Cantrelle and Windham. Cantrelle is figuring it out and I think that speaks to his talent and him going with his own approach. Windham is still figuring it out with the bat. Watching his body language in the box he is thinking too much and not trusting what he is seeing. His constant half swings when he gets fooled and his facial reaction tells the story. However, he is already an elite defender. He plays professional level defense at the corner already. He will figure it out with the bat and it will be sooner with a new coach. Windham will play at the next level and I predict he will be a great Cajun throughout his career too.

    I can speak from experience in hitting that coaching can absolutely make you worse. It is such a mental and feel thing it doesn't take much to throw you off and out of whack. JT has done just that with his cookie cutter approach. Where JT has served us well is in getting talented recruits.
    Every single word of this.

  8. #188
    Dad04's Avatar
    Dad04 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    337
    Posts
    5,262

    Default Re: BB G3 Final: Louisiana 6, App St 2

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Are we missing offensive talent, or has it not been developed? You mention Lott, not by name but what about Moll, Windham that were All-Region Perfect Game or Honorable All-Amercian? Fontenot was Mr. Baseball twice, signed with Oklahoma State, Monica signed with Arizona, Stover played at Kansas before transferring to JC. McKinnon was also committed to Oklahoma St when he decided to sign with UL.

    Is it really just the perfect storm with injuries and youth? There is enough statistical evidence to suggest otherwise and it needs to change next year.
    No. No, it is not a perfect storm of anything and something. The woeful underachievement is staggering, yet it feels like they are playing way over their heads, at the same time.

    Even with the season best run of 8-1 they are on, they have barely nudged the team BA over .220 and just coaxed the SLUG over .300. As of 4-12-18, we were still ranked # 287 of 297 in SLG%. There is plenty of team speed, but they still can't hit their way out of a wet paper bag. They are beating weak teams with smoke and mirrors and a 8-2 one-run game record.

    I hope they keep overachieving based on previous results, but they are still the most underachieving Cajun team based on talent, I can remember. I would hate to be the rest of this conference if this team played close to its talent level.

  9. #189
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    16,166

    Default Re: BB G3 Final: Louisiana 6, App St 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Dad04 View Post
    No. No, it is not a perfect storm of anything and something. The woeful underachievement is staggering, yet it feels like they are playing way over their heads, at the same time.

    Even with the season best run of 8-1 they are on, they have barely nudged the team BA over .220 and just coaxed the SLUG over .300. As of 4-12-18, we were still ranked # 287 of 297 in SLG%. They are beating weak teams with smoke and mirrors and a 8-2 one-run game record.

    I hope they keep overachieving based on previous results, but they are still the most underachieving Cajun team based on talent, I can remember.
    And again, we are not talking about just "underachieving". We are talking about a colossal failure, top to bottom, offensively. Not only that, a 4 year downward spiral.

  10. #190
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,990

    Default Re: BB G3 Final: Louisiana 6, App St 2

    You're both saying the same thing basically by stating that the team has enough talent to perform better than they have been. I think we can all agree with that. Again, I think it all boils down to whether or not the message goes in between their ears. I don't think it does.


  11. #191
    Dad04's Avatar
    Dad04 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    337
    Posts
    5,262

    Default Re: BB G3 Final: Louisiana 6, App St 2

    Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    And again, we are not talking about just "underachieving". We are talking about a colossal failure, top to bottom, offensively. Not only that, a 4 year downward spiral.
    I would love to win the conf. tourney, like anyone. It will come down to divine intervention, tho.

  12. #192
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    16,166

    Default Re: BB G3 Final: Louisiana 6, App St 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Dad04 View Post
    I would love to win the conf. tourney, like anyone. It will come down to divine intervention, tho.
    No doubt.
    I'm going to hold onto to the bullpen seems to be coming around.
    Fortunately, we have some front line arms on the weekends that give us a chance.

  13. #193
    Dad04's Avatar
    Dad04 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    337
    Posts
    5,262

    Default Re: BB G3 Final: Louisiana 6, App St 2

    It feels like we are getting competitive because the team has improved from abysmally putrid (outside of their SEC triumphs they all got pumped for), to simply mediocre, imo. It's a mirage.

    The fact we have 4 SEC wins shows there is talent. For a variety of reasons, the talent rarely gets expressed on the field.

    I does look like Hogan has turned a corner. Happy for him, cuz he gets a nice draft, I hope. Lee is an enigma. If Jack, Hogan and Schmidt do well AND the bullpen holds up, there is a chance.


  14. #194
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    16,166

    Default Re: BB G3 Final: Louisiana 6, App St 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Dad04 View Post
    It feels like we are getting competitive because the team has improved from abysmally putrid (outside of their SEC triumphs they all got pumped for), to simply mediocre, imo. It's a mirage.

    The fact we have 4 SEC wins shows there is talent. For a variety of reasons, the talent rarely gets expressed on the field.
    Outside of the poor BA, I feel like if we can just simply get runners in from 3rd with less than 2 outs, we'll be MILES better. If we can just tack runs on after a productive inning, rather than mailing it in for the remaining innings, we'll be MILES better.

    Basically, I think our problems are fixable. At least for a conference tourney run.

  15. #195
    Dad04's Avatar
    Dad04 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    337
    Posts
    5,262

    Default Re: BB G3 Final: Louisiana 6, App St 2

    Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Outside of the poor BA, I feel like if we can just simply get runners in from 3rd with less than 2 outs, we'll be MILES better. If we can just tack runs on after a productive inning, rather than mailing it in for the remaining innings, we'll be MILES better.

    Basically, I think our problems are fixable. At least for a conference tourney run.
    I agree with that. This team has trouble juggling two ball in the air. Three could get them a nice conference tourney.

  16. #196
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Metairie,LA
    Posts
    3,936

    Default Re: BB G3 Final: Louisiana 6, App St 2

    Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Outside of the poor BA, I feel like if we can just simply get runners in from 3rd with less than 2 outs, we'll be MILES better. If we can just tack runs on after a productive inning, rather than mailing it in for the remaining innings, we'll be MILES better.

    Basically, I think our problems are fixable. At least for a conference tourney run.
    I would try Moll at 1B and put in Stover as a late inning defensive replacement. At least Moll draws some walks and HBP. I wasn't joking when I said the bottom of the lineup needs to take some pitches for the team. Onbase percentage has to improve and at this point walks and HBP look more likely than a hitting renaissance for those guys. The top 3 hitters in the lineup have no power, but they do put the bat on the ball and could drive in some runs.

  17. #197
    Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    7,206

    Default Re: BB G3 Final: Louisiana 6, App St 2

    Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    This is the problem. And maybe Metry is a baseball nut, but...
    Baseball is the most mental game (other than golf) out there. These little nuances matter more in baseball than any other sport. You're not shooting jump shots or packing on muscle to block better.. You're managing personalities, mental stability, 70% failure, long road trips and 56 game fatigue just as much as (if not more) than the actual game. The reasons for "why" can not be oversimplified.
    Agree that baseball is much more mental than about any other team sport. In basketball you don't have time to think about what is occurring as the action is continual. That means muscle memory takes over. In baseball, you think about what to do before every pitch. That is regardless if you are in the field, at bat, or on the basepaths. Lots of opportunity to let the pressure of the moment get to you.

  18. #198
    Dad04's Avatar
    Dad04 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    337
    Posts
    5,262

    Default Re: BB G3 Final: Louisiana 6, App St 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Agree that baseball is much more mental than about any other team sport. In basketball you don't have time to think about what is occurring as the action is continual. That means muscle memory takes over. In baseball, you think about what to do before every pitch. That is regardless if you are in the field, at bat, or on the basepaths. Lots of opportunity to let the pressure of the moment get to you.
    it is a hard game and we have one, or two pitchers and a SS who make it look easier than it is. Everybody else, including coaches, makes it look like splitting atoms on the wing of an airborne Boeing 727, especially Coach Stop Sign.

  19. #199
    Just1More's Avatar
    Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    16,031
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: BB G3 Final: Louisiana 6, App St 2

    Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    My head just about exploded trying to read this!!!
    I do not know or care to know Talbots hitting philosophy. All I see is a bunch of singles hitters that are overmatched most of the time. I would assume by their HS stats and build that Lott, Moll and Stover were supposed to provide some power to the lineup. All have been busts. I find it near impossible for everyone on the team to be average to below average hitters, so I think Talbot should be getting heavily criticized.
    Lastly, How do we know if an individual approach is not being instituted by Talbot. Is this what the players are saying privately to friends and family? What is he asking the bottom half of the order to do that they cannot do? From my vantage point the thing they cannot do is hit a baseball.
    All have been busts? Don't care about the philosophy? Don't pretend to have a talent gauge in your pocket... but don't care about coaching philosophy. Coaches don't just recruit and then say, "have at it... you could do it in HS... (and in summer leagues)... so go do it for me." They not only teach hitting technique and how to read D1 pitching, they control each at-bat, pitch by pitch. There's a lot of it built into raw talent... but how can a batter hit HRs in HS and in summer league (with wood bats)... and not jack a single ball near the fence? Fact is, the guys in the lineup that have power... still have power... something else is wrong. None of us know the exact mental/physical makeup of athlete/coach... and what is precisely wrong with the batting. But to determine "we got no talent"... but get a headache thinking about the simplest aspects of the effects of the coach's batting philosophy... is ridiculous.

    And there is no back door for coaches to run out. If your batting average sucks... you a) can't coach batting, or b) recruited poorly. Injuries can explain some of it. Losing the entire lineup to the MLB can explain some of it. Louisiana baseball was not any more hampered offensively than any other team this year by injury or MLB drafting.

    Our team batting average was ranked 284th at .225 as of this past Friday. I'm glad App State helped... a little... it should have been much more.

  20. #200
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,990

    Default Re: BB G3 Final: Louisiana 6, App St 2

    There is a common denominator in all of this: whatever hitting philosophy or style of coaching there is for the batters isn't getting it done.


Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •