_ _ _ _
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Illegal Substitution

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    20,048
    Blog Entries
    2

    UL Softball Illegal Substitution

    USSSA refers to an illegal substitution as "Illegal Player."

    Sec 7. ILLEGAL PLAYER is a player who enters the line–up without the right to an offensive or defensive position. Examples of an Illegal player(s), but not limited to, are:

    A. Starter and/or substitute who re-enters in an incorrect batting position.

    B. Starter and/or substitute who re-enters a second time.

    C. Using a player to pitch who was removed from the pitching position because of Rule 4 Sec 8 A "Penalty".

    The use of an illegal player is handled as a protest that can be made at any time, while the player is in the game.

    A player will not violate the illegal player provision until he/she enters the game and one (1) pitch is thrown. Any action before one pitch is thrown is correctable.

    PENALTY: An illegal player violation results in the immediate ejection of the illegal player and his/her coach. In addition, the following penalties will apply:

    A. If the illegal player has completed a turn at bat and before the next pitch, the illegal player is called out. Any advance by any runner as a result of the illegal player becoming a batter-runner is nullified. Any additional outs recorded on the play stand.

    B. If the illegal player has made a defensive play and before the next pitch (or the defensive team or the Umpires have left the field), the offensive team has the option of 1) the result of the play or 2) replaying the last pitch.

    NOTE: The illegal player can be legally replaced by any eligible substitute.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    2,741

    Default Re: Illegal Substitution

    So Glasco has been tossed 5 times for illegal substitutions?


  3. #3
    CajunVic is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,362

    Default Re: Illegal Substitution

    So what is happening, coach is having a difficult time keeping tract of his substitutions?


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    20,048
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Illegal Substitution

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunRage View Post
    So Glasco has been tossed 5 times for illegal substitutions?
    NCAA is Warning for first offense, tossed for second.

    The rules

  5. #5
    CajunVic is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,362

    Default Re: Illegal Substitution

    It is what I thought it would be and suspected that the issues presented for Coach Glasgo surrounded the fact that he is coaching the whole game in a fashion to attempt to maximize defense when we are in the field and offense when we are at the plate when he does not have 9 girls that maximize both defense and offense. So he is using about 12 or 13 girls in any given game to get the most out of the team for each game, from time to time, as the circumstances present themselves.

    While it is noted that game management by the head coach is important and is his responsibility, we must also understand the difficulty at times of having to manage a team in this fashion because of the limitations provided by the teams actual talent.

    Would one prefer that he just play 10 and let the chips fall where they may? Should he give up opportunities to increase chances to excel in scoring situations or have the best defense on the field in opportune times because some will have a hissy fit if a substitution rule violation may be called?

    I'm sure there are many times this year that his willingness to coach and make substitutions has won us games that we would have otherwise lost. Not yet seen one example by the complainers where a substitution violation has costs us a game.

    I'm sure the coach wishes he had 10 players he could play that would maximize defense and offense without all the substitutions, but apparently he does not yet on this team.

    Give the guy a fighting chance.


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    139

    Default Re: Illegal Substitution

    Amen to that, Brother - been watching Cajun softball since '83, and played fast-pitch and slow pitch myself until I was 55, so I have a pretty good idea of a good coach. Got a really good feeling about this coach. He's making a few mistakes, but doing a lot of good, too. With his experience, I am convinced he has a grasp on the big picture of getting to and winning a regional, just needs to work on some detail work.


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    11

    Default Re: Illegal Substitution

    The point is being missed !

    It has nothing to do with win/loss record, calling for Glasco's head, comparison to baseball, conference champions, top 25 ranking, etc...., it has everything to do with a staff that can not manage game time decisions. In this case, substitution rules ( all have occurred as a result of utilizing a pinch runner and not reentering the player pinch run for). This staff, or parts of it have been head coach at the NPF level, assistant coachs at major SEC schools, and head coaches at small colleges/universities, heck one was a three time all American. As I know it, we have four coaches and one trainer/manager in the dougout during games. Between five people we can't correct this issue ?

    Is it a "major" issue, hardly not, however when greatness is pursued these issues hinder achieving greatness. It's the little things that bite you in the butt and what separates good teams from great teams.

    Makes one wonder what else is being missed that the fan base does not see during game day.


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,984

    Default Re: Illegal Substitution

    Ok, so what's the end game here? We know he's making substitution mistakes. But what's your solution? Obviously, it's to fix it. But is there anything else he can do?


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    756

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    Ok, so what's the end game here? We know he's making substitution mistakes. But what's your solution? Obviously, it's to fix it. But is there anything else he can do?
    There's only 1 solution...Fire him for making 5 mistakes all the while staying ranked in the top 25 in country when losing the equivalent of Mike Trout plus 2 other all-stars....😂😂

  10. #10
    CajunAmos's Avatar
    CajunAmos is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    6,235

    Default Re: Illegal Substitution

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunJeaux View Post
    There's only 1 solution...Fire him for making 5 mistakes all the while staying ranked in the top 25 in country when losing the equivalent of Mike Trout plus 2 other all-stars....😂😂
    I don't think anyone has any thought of firing at this point. This is is first college head coaching position, and he's learning as well. Having the transfers would have helped in the transition, but the current record & RPI is actually ahead of what I expected might happen. You had what Mike thought were players capable of playing at a high level, but those players (with rare exceptions) were intended to be capable of contributing in their third years. Some of those are being asked to do so at an earlier time than expected, and as you would expect are having mixed results. I think having an off-season and fall practice time could have helped to not only improve the players but given the coaches time to evaluate the players to determine who would perform best as starters rather than having to do that during an actual season. As of now, we should not be expected to be competitive with a top 15-20 program. When we are, it will be due to an outstanding pitching effort. Next year should provide a better idea of what our teams will look like with injury and transfer players available to add to our roster. JMO

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    756

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    I don't think anyone has any thought of firing at this point. This is is first college head coaching position, and he's learning as well. Having the transfers would have helped in the transition, but the current record & RPI is actually ahead of what I expected might happen. You had what Mike thought were players capable of playing at a high level, but those players (with rare exceptions) were intended to be capable of contributing in their third years. Some of those are being asked to do so at an earlier time than expected, and as you would expect are having mixed results. I think having an off-season and fall practice time could have helped to not only improve the players but given the coaches time to evaluate the players to determine who would perform best as starters rather than having to do that during an actual season. As of now, we should not be expected to be competitive with a top 15-20 program. When we are, it will be due to an outstanding pitching effort. Next year should provide a better idea of what our teams will look like with injury and transfer players available to add to our roster. JMO
    I agree 100% with your post...my other post was pure tongue-in-cheek...

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    2,741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunJeaux View Post
    I agree 100% with your post...my other post was pure tongue-in-cheek...
    Pretty clear what's going on here.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,078
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Illegal Substitution

    I think Glasco has a whole lot of things to manage during a game and thats why I recommended putting either an assistant Coach or a player who is on the bench in charge of making sure subs get checked in and out. Just whatch and say hey Coach we did not check in so and so.

    Everyone makes mistakes, but after the second time a new procedure should have been installed to correct it.

    But, if it did not happen last game it could very well be fixed already.


  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    2,741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alum81 View Post
    I think Glasco has a whole lot of things to manage during a game and thats why I recommended putting either an assistant Coach or a player who is on the bench in charge of making sure subs get checked in and out. Just whatch and say hey Coach we did not check in so and so.

    Everyone makes mistakes, but after the second time a new procedure should have been installed to correct it. Or is it simply not notifying the umpire? The complainers will never explain what's really happening.

    But, if it did not happen last game it could very well be fixed already.
    On that note, aren't these college athletes. Do they not know the rules?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,078
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunRage View Post
    On that note, aren't these college athletes. Do they not know the rules?
    So your theory is the coach told them not to go in without checking in and they are doing it anyway? I think that is unlikely. I think a coach tells them to get in the game and it has never been their responsibility to check in with the ump or score keeper. I'm not even sure if a player can check herself in. Maybe when
    a coach tells them to go in, they should remind the coach to check them in but I'm not sure how well he would except that.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    2,741

    Default Re: Illegal Substitution

    Quote Originally Posted by alum81 View Post
    So your theory is the coach told them not to go in without checking in and they are doing it anyway? I think that is unlikely. I think a coach tells them to get in the game and it has never been their responsibility to check in with the ump or score keeper. I'm not even sure if a player can check herself in. Maybe when
    a coach tells them to go in, they should remind the coach to check them in but I'm not sure how well he would except that.
    That's kind of along the lines I'm going. As stated earlier, there is a lot going on. I assisted my high school coach several times in this area throughout my career. Now this is softball and different rules from baseball. I guess the act of re-entering is just natural for a lot of players. Just think players could take it upon themselves to check in, or if they aren't allowed, alert a coach that they are re-entering.

    This is pure speculation here, but if this is surrounding re-entering after a pinch runner, I would not be surprised one bit if this rule was more lax in professional ball and maybe even in the P5 conferences. Therefore, it may take a bit longer to get used to the stricter enforcement of the rule.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •