_ _ _ _
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Stop Making Excuses

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Stop Making Excuses

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    This is so damn similar to how our fan base acted during Evan's last few years. Y'all are evidently ready to run off ANOTHER successful coach. We have a coach in Marlin who is unquestionably improving this program but any time we lose a game the roaches come out of hiding and stink the place up. If you can't see the improvement this team has made you know nothing about basketball. That guy has earned every penny of his contract this year.
    ... "our fan base"... "y'all"... "roaches"? Really?

Clutch0364 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

I don't disagree with anyone that says we should have higher aspirations and that our scheduling is soft and needs to be improved. I have _____ed about Marlin in the past but I do think the ship is more on the incline than decline. When you look at the pieces coming back and his best (on paper) freshman class coming in, I believe we are in a position to make a nice run in next few years.

The thing I can't get on board with is the post season or bust mentality. I want to be in the post season every year but due to the conference being a 1 bid league, I can't judge a good or bad season based on post season. This year we are in the NIT with 27 win, next season we can win 20 and be in the NCAA tourney, or win 25 and not get in the NIT or the NCAA tourney. Is that 20 win season better than the other 2 strictly because it ended in the tourney? I want to consistently compete for titles and post season births but not to the point that I will view a non post season as bad.

The conference as a whole needs to schedule better to improve its standing. UL can schedule a murderers row but if everyone else is scheduling cupcakes it won't matter in the long run.

This is so damn similar to how our fan base acted during Evan's last few years. Y'all are evidently ready to run off ANOTHER successful coach. We have a coach in Marlin who is unquestionably improving this program but any time we lose a game the roaches come out of hiding and stink the place up. If you can't see the improvement this team has made you know nothing about basketball. That guy has earned every penny of his contract this year.
    Why would you frequent a message board if you have such a huge problem with opinions different than yours? Seems dumb.

CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

UL Basketball Re: Stop Making Excuses

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    I hate to agree with you... but I think most of Marlin's strongest critics need to think long and hard about what we are up against. It isn't "making excuses". There are not a lot of coaches that are going to do a lot more than Marlin did this year with our program. I'm not saying that I like the fact that we don't compete well with the higher caliber programs like we used to. But I cannot tell from my vantage point how much that's a coaching thing... or the numerous other factors.

I also have to say that with Marlin's accomplishments this year... even given we didn't reach the pinnacle of our goals this year... are substantial enough to dismiss the discussion of a coaching change. I don't think we necessarily ought to be talking extensions and raises... but he should not be viewed as a coach on the "hot seat".
    Going to consolidate a couple of things as I've been banned to smart phone for almost a year.

There's a lot of hyperbole on this board, and the use of terms everyone, everybody, always, etc are short cuts, and yes everyone understands this because in life and nature few things are absolute under all conditions.

We absolutely can do better than Bob, we could also do a lot worse. I'm always voting with confidence we can do better than mediocrity. We'll be back in the pack in 2019/20. Don't fire Bob, but no extension, no raises until this season becomes the norm, not the outlier.

... "our fan base"... "y'all"... "roaches"? Really?
    Yes, the people who never go to games, don't say a word when we kick ___, but then crawl out from the shadows and start yelling when something doesn't go well... like roaches.

Not saying it's everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    Why would you frequent a message board if you have such a huge problem with opinions different than yours? Seems dumb.
    First of all, most of the time I agree with the things that are said on this board.

Second, no. What's ACTUALLY dumb is choosing to only surround yourself with people and opinions you agree with. That's a great way to never learn or grow as a person.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    He is a busy guy after all...
    That he is! I'm sure he'll be there if it's at all possible. Wish l could be there, too, but work precludes it.

You have a nice day too, Vic.
    And Geaux Cajuns, win one tonight and another tomorrow night.

Somebody wants Everybody to yell like hell and support the CAJUNS. How about that?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    If we're dismissing the fact that there are several issues holding this program down, we're being disingenuous.
    The same things holding down most other G5 programs! I get it, but perhaps we should send this memo to Steven F. Austin, New Mexico State, Western Kentucky, Middle Tennessee and others? The growth of this program won't happen with just the diehards and a few students in attendance at every game. For the record, I haven't discussed replacing Coach Marlin. I just wanted to see what fans expectations were yearly. It's pretty clear, there is a devoted following regardless, some that don't think Coach Marlin will advance this program any further than it is today and a few others that are done with him period.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    Why are you yelling? He is not getting paid big bucks. If we were in the NCAA tournament he would be one of the lowerst paid coaches. And please provide names of people here who want to give him an extension.
    I AM NOT YELLING, I HAVE POOR EYESIGHT . HIS CONTRACT ACCORDING TO CAJUNMIKE ,HE WILL GET A PAY RAISE AND AN EXTENSION.

Quote Originally Posted by tank View Post
    I AM NOT YELLING, I HAVE POOR EYESIGHT . HIS CONTRACT ACCORDING TO CAJUNMIKE ,HE WILL GET A PAY RAISE AND AN EXTENSION.
    No he won't.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    The same things holding down most other G5 programs! I get it, but perhaps we should send this memo to Steven F. Austin, New Mexico State, Western Kentucky, Middle Tennessee and others? The growth of this program won't happen with just the diehards and a few students in attendance at every game. For the record, I haven't discussed replacing Coach Marlin. I just wanted to see what fans expectations were yearly. It's pretty clear, there is a devoted following regardless, some that don't think Coach Marlin will advance this program any further than it is today and a few others that are done with him period.
    Not saying its program is not ahead of ours, but we have been in the NCAA tourney more recently than Western Kentucky.

VObserver is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Yes, the people who never go to games, don't say a word when we kick ___, but then crawl out from the shadows and start yelling when something doesn't go well... like roaches.

Not saying it's everyone.
    I don't know all of the rest of the complainers, but the ones I do know are at damn near every home basketball game. I daresay many of us attend more games than you do.

VObserver is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by SlappyCajun View Post
    Not saying its program is not ahead of ours, but we have been in the NCAA tourney more recently than Western Kentucky.
    They have been to the Sweet 16 since the last time we won a tournament game, and they have been to the final 4. So, yes, they are better than us in tradition, and almost always better than us over the last 10 years as well.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    They have been to the Sweet 16 since the last time we won a tournament game, and they have been to the final 4. So, yes, they are better than us in tradition, and almost always better than us over the last 10 years as well.
    Not disputing, just noting that the program that many of us would like to emulate has a longer tourney drought than we do.

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    And Geaux Cajuns, win one tonight and another tomorrow night.

Somebody wants Everybody to yell like hell and support the CAJUNS. How about that?
    Sounds good. Geaux Cajuns!

Sounds like Marlin had the right people negotiating his contracts...

Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJeaux View Post
    Sounds like Marlin had the right people negotiating his contracts...
    If I'm Maggard, any new contract negotiation would start with a few ground rules.

D2 wins will not be counted, at all.

Top 100 RPI wins will count double.

Bottom 300 losses will count double.

Extra points for Top 20 wins.

Extra points for Season Championships.

Extra points for NCAA tourney appearances.

Extra points for NCAA Tourney wins.

That is very different than what you originally said. I don't recall a single post on this board advocating in favor of a contract extension. Only that his contract may have a clause in it that guarantees that will happen.

At the end of the day 98% of the people posting don't want Marlin canned but that same 98% want to see him make improvements regarding our performance on the basketball floor.

I think 99% are very pleased with what he has done off the floor with getting and maintaining players of character and representing our University in a positive light. He has also been a tireless advocate for bringing former players back into the fold.

Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

THEN QUIT PAYING THE MAN ALL THE BIG BUCKS !!! HE GETS TO PICK HIS TEAM !!!
    HE GETS TO PICK HIS COACHING STAFF !!! OVERPAID !!! UNDERPERFORMED !!!
    AND YALL WANT AN EXTENSION FOR THIS ? W O W !!!
    I don't think anyone here advocated an extension. We only provided a belief based upon the past that the regular season championship guarantees him one. That is part of the original contract negotiated by David Walker. I don't think a raise is part of it. There may have bonuses gained this year however due to the championship as well. All of that was pre-determined. Once again a reminder that the current administration is thrilled with Coach Marlin. Therefore the no. of posts here voicing displeasure will have zero impact on a decision for now.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast