_ _ _ _
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 130

Thread: Stop Making Excuses

  1. #61
    VObserver's Avatar
    VObserver is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Abbeville, LA
    Posts
    5,645

    Default Re: Stop Making Excuses

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Scheduling will likely not be much different as we are required to go to SLU, UNO, and McNeese as part of agreed to contracts. La Tech comes here and that is the only non conference home game scheduled as of now. We are trying to get into an exempt tournament to give us the opportunity to play power schools on a neutral court. I bet we play two money games in addition to those. Other than that, I can't comment on what is planned. As far as pressure from fans go, a championship in either the regular season or tournament will negate other factors.
    Not necessarily, Mike. There has to be progress in scheduling and in play against better opponents. Zero wins against top 100 is not acceptable. A losing record against top 200 is not acceptable, even if we win the conference. Only 2 of Marlin's 8 years has he been above .500 against top 200 teams. That cannot continue. To his credit, this year is one of the 2, but we still had zero top 100 wins.

  2. #62
    Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    7,083

    Default Re: Stop Making Excuses

    Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    Not necessarily, Mike. There has to be progress in scheduling and in play against better opponents. Zero wins against top 100 is not acceptable. A losing record against top 200 is not acceptable, even if we win the conference. Only 2 of Marlin's 8 years has he been above .500 against top 200 teams. That cannot continue. To his credit, this year is one of the 2, but we still had zero top 100 wins.
    My point was that there won't be any danger of him losing his job if he wins one of the conference titles (especially the tournament) regardless of the other issues. I won't argue that the number of people who share your concern won't increase if progress is not made in other areas.

  3. #63
    CajunVic is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,336

    Default Re: Stop Making Excuses

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    My point was that there won't be any danger of him losing his job if he wins one of the conference titles (especially the tournament) regardless of the other issues. I won't argue that the number of people who share your concern won't increase if progress is not made in other areas.
    Mike, it just seems like EVERYBODY's not happy unless SOMEBODY is up for discussions about being fired. Just saying!!!!!

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Metairie,LA
    Posts
    3,911

    Default Re: Stop Making Excuses

    Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    No one wants to fire Marlin many just don't want his contract renewed
    It is hilarious that you of all people posted this. If we lose Wednesday night, lets revisit this. My bet is that you will want him fired. You seem to have an itchy trigger finger.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    3,056

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    No one's opinion disappoints me as we all have a right to one and the freedom to express it. However, even if we get blown out Wednesday that thought won't even cross the minds of the people in charge.
    I completely understand and always appreciate your level headed responses.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    19,911
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Stop Making Excuses

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunProud View Post
    Yep. If he can't beat LSU or at least be competitive, then I would start a search Thursday morning. Sorry that my high expectations for the program disappoint you.
    For some reason ignoring the player health situation reminds me of the ever high expectations of the Black Knight in Monty Python's Holy Grail as he loses all his limbs.

    "It's just a flesh wound"

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    4,024

    Default Re: Stop Making Excuses

    Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    It is hilarious that you of all people posted this. If we lose Wednesday night, lets revisit this. My bet is that you will want him fired. You seem to have an itchy trigger finger.
    I don't think he is the guy much like Talbot ( only one I want fired ASAP )

    When your Gap Tooth Ron's _____ every year it's time to start looking elsewhere

  8. #68
    Just1More's Avatar
    Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    16,031
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Stop Making Excuses

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    Mike, it just seems like EVERYBODY's not happy unless SOMEBODY is up for discussions about being fired. Just saying!!!!!
    I'm neutral on Marlin right now... but if "everybody" (which is absolutely false) is wanting someone fired all of the time... I'd like to ask this... who have we let go and replaced that you object to? It's only a subset of fans that get vocal about "firing". And as an open forum, everyone has a right to give their opinion and debate others. This forum has never been a consensus single opinion.

    So anyone outside of this forum referring to it as "RP is saying xyz" is FOS. And anyone on this forum saying "all of you" is also FOS.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    1,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    For some reason ignoring the player health situation reminds me of the ever high expectations of the Black Knight in Monty Python's Holy Grail as he loses all his limbs.

    "It's just a flesh wound"
    Yep. The team is not at full strength and won't be on Wednesday.

  10. #70
    VObserver's Avatar
    VObserver is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Abbeville, LA
    Posts
    5,645

    Default Re: Stop Making Excuses

    History is sometimes a valuable tool for predicting future events.

    I certainly hope that in the case of this game that does not hold true. In true road games against top 100 RPI teams Marlin is 2-21 as the Cajuns coach; 0-7 in the last 3 seasons.


  11. #71
    VObserver's Avatar
    VObserver is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Abbeville, LA
    Posts
    5,645

    Default Re: Stop Making Excuses

    Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    What is Marlin's signature win these past 8 years .. GSU / Houston 2014?
    UTA in the Cajundome last year. The Mav's RPI was 40. Houston's RPI the year we beat them was 138.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    9,552
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Stop Making Excuses

    Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    I'm neutral on Marlin right now... but if "everybody" (which is absolutely false) is wanting someone fired all of the time... I'd like to ask this... who have we let go and replaced that you object to? It's only a subset of fans that get vocal about "firing". And as an open forum, everyone has a right to give their opinion and debate others. This forum has never been a consensus single opinion.

    So anyone outside of this forum referring to it as "RP is saying xyz" is FOS. And anyone on this forum saying "all of you" is also FOS.
    LOL!!Good luck with that one.

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Metairie,LA
    Posts
    3,911

    Default Re: Stop Making Excuses

    Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    I don't think he is the guy much like Talbot ( only one I want fired ASAP )

    When your Gap Tooth Ron's _____ every year it's time to start looking elsewhere
    Not really. Marlin has a better chance of getting hired away than he does of getting fired (neither is likely). You look elsewhere when your program is going backwards or is embroiled in scandal. Neither thing is happening right now. We all want a better men's program, but the truth is we will never get where we want to be in this conference. All the problems brought up here are byproducts of the conference we are stuck in. Until our AD gets us out we will not see much improvement because we will never be able to attract the types of athletes we need playing in the Sunbelt. But go ahead and keep saying we need new coaches every time we lose a few games.

  14. #74
    CajunVic is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,336

    Default Re: Stop Making Excuses

    Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    I'm neutral on Marlin right now... but if "everybody" (which is absolutely false) is wanting someone fired all of the time... I'd like to ask this... who have we let go and replaced that you object to? It's only a subset of fans that get vocal about "firing". And as an open forum, everyone has a right to give their opinion and debate others. This forum has never been a consensus single opinion.

    So anyone outside of this forum referring to it as "RP is saying xyz" is FOS. And anyone on this forum saying "all of you" is also FOS.
    You obviously have a hard time with the English language.

    1. "Everybody's not happy" which means if one person is not happy, then everybody (all persons) are not happy.

    2. "Somebody wants to talk about firing a coach" which means at least one person wants to talk about firing a coach - not ALL of RP.

    Read it and try again.

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    4,024

    Default Re: Stop Making Excuses

    Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    Not really. Marlin has a better chance of getting hired away than he does of getting fired (neither is likely). You look elsewhere when your program is going backwards or is embroiled in scandal. Neither thing is happening right now. We all want a better men's program, but the truth is we will never get where we want to be in this conference. All the problems brought up here are byproducts of the conference we are stuck in. Until our AD gets us out we will not see much improvement because we will never be able to attract the types of athletes we need playing in the Sunbelt. But go ahead and keep saying we need new coaches every time we lose a few games.
    Excuses once again .. WKU always brought in tons of talent even when they were in the belt heck they made the sweet 16 while they were here

    I wish I could be successful at my job once every 10 years and get away with it

  16. #76
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    9,552
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Stop Making Excuses

    Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    Not really. Marlin has a better chance of getting hired away than he does of getting fired (neither is likely). You look elsewhere when your program is going backwards or is embroiled in scandal. Neither thing is happening right now. We all want a better men's program, but the truth is we will never get where we want to be in this conference. All the problems brought up here are byproducts of the conference we are stuck in. Until our AD gets us out we will not see much improvement because we will never be able to attract the types of athletes we need playing in the Sunbelt. But go ahead and keep saying we need new coaches every time we lose a few games.
    If that is the case (I'm not certain that it is), it would speak for itself would it not?

  17. #77
    Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    7,083

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    Not really. Marlin has a better chance of getting hired away than he does of getting fired (neither is likely). You look elsewhere when your program is going backwards or is embroiled in scandal. Neither thing is happening right now. We all want a better men's program, but the truth is we will never get where we want to be in this conference. All the problems brought up here are byproducts of the conference we are stuck in. Until our AD gets us out we will not see much improvement because we will never be able to attract the types of athletes we need playing in the Sunbelt. But go ahead and keep saying we need new coaches every time we lose a few games.
    I agree about the conference situation even though the league is not as bad as some think The league does impact our scheduling as well. I believe the AD knows this but doesnot believe realignment is imminent. I know a person who was on the committee when he was hired and that individual has ability to improve the conference situation as a major criteria. I also agree that Coach Marlin is unlikely to land another job due to age mostly. As far as him being replaced by the administration that won't be considered unless a major dropoff occurs even if the number of people here calling for it on this forum doubles

  18. #78
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5,181

    Default Re: Stop Making Excuses

    This is so damn similar to how our fan base acted during Evan's last few years. Y'all are evidently ready to run off ANOTHER successful coach. We have a coach in Marlin who is unquestionably improving this program but any time we lose a game the roaches come out of hiding and stink the place up. If you can't see the improvement this team has made you know nothing about basketball. That guy has earned every penny of his contract this year.


  19. #79
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grand Coulee, WA
    Posts
    467

    Default Re: Stop Making Excuses

    As much as Big Game Bob rears his ugly head sometimes - I will say that this program has been effective with taking care of the "student" part of student athlete as well.

    That carries alot of weight


  20. #80
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.
    Posts
    6,430

    Default Re: Stop Making Excuses

    Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    UTA in the Cajundome last year. The Mav's RPI was 40. Houston's RPI the year we beat them was 138.
    Marlin = Bustle.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •