_ _ _ _
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Stop Making Excuses

Default Stop Making Excuses

I am terribly disappointed the Cajuns could not close out the deal and earn a spot in the NCAA Basketball Tournament and will have to settle for the NIT. But it is what it is. In one of the other threads, a number of posters are already predicting a loss to LSU and are using the injury to Stove and Gant's illness as the pre-determined reasons.

A couple of points:
    1) Many of us have been crying about the Cajuns schedule and asking why can't we schedule better competition and play more games against P5 schools, even if we have to play on the road. Well, this game satisfies that request and it just so happens to be against LSU.

2) Many have also complained that LSU will not schedule the Cajuns in basketball like they do in baseball. Well, this NIT game also satisfies this complaint. Therefore, use this opportunity to go out and prove that we belong. If we lose (regardless of the situation) we just need to keep working and continue to build the program.

3) We need to stop complaining about the Cajuns having to travel and just go play the game! IMO, the Cajuns deserved to get a home game in the Dome, but did not. It is what it is. Had the Cajuns earned a spot in the "Big Dance", it would probably have been as an 11, 12 or 13 seed. So, any team we would have been matched up against in the NCAA Tournament would have been much better than the LSU team we will be facing. So, once again, go to Baton Rouge and prove we belong!

I am ______ed about everything that took place this weekend involving Ragin Cajun athletics, but the only way we can solve our issues is to go out there an WIN fricking games we play! NO excuses, just WIN!!!!!

Default Re: Stop Making Excuses

Well said!

There is one way Cajuns can get an NIT home game.

TCOB in BR Wednesday.
    Root for UC-Davis to get a road victory over Utah.

Both of those happen, round 2 is in the Cajundome.

Quote Originally Posted by Duggie35 View Post
    I am terribly disappointed the Cajuns could not close out the deal and earn a spot in the NCAA Basketball Tournament and will have to settle for the NIT. But it is what it is. In one of the other threads, a number of posters are already predicting a loss to LSU and are using the injury to Stove and Gant's illness as the pre-determined reasons.

A couple of points:
    1) Many of us have been crying about the Cajuns schedule and asking why can't we schedule better competition and play more games against P5 schools, even if we have to play on the road. Well, this game satisfies that request and it just so happens to be against LSU.

2) Many have also complained that LSU will not schedule the Cajuns in basketball like they do in baseball. Well, this NIT game also satisfies this complaint. Therefore, use this opportunity to go out and prove that we belong. If we lose (regardless of the situation) we just need to keep working and continue to build the program.

3) We need to stop complaining about the Cajuns having to travel and just go play the game! IMO, the Cajuns deserved to get a home game in the Dome, but did not. It is what it is. Had the Cajuns earned a spot in the "Big Dance", it would probably have been as an 11, 12 or 13 seed. So, any team we would have been matched up against in the NCAA Tournament would have been much better than the LSU team we will be facing. So, once again, go to Baton Rouge and prove we belong!

I am ______ed about everything that took place this weekend involving Ragin Cajun athletics, but the only way we can solve our issues is to go out there an WIN fricking games we play! NO excuses, just WIN!!!!!
    Excellent post, and hits the nail on the head. Bottom line is, stop bi$#ing and moaning about fairness, blah, blah, blah, etc......... Go out and f'ing win!!!!

And for clarification, from my point of view, even if we were 100% healthy, I still think we lose to LSU due to our coach. Just my opinion. However, that doesn't mean that I won't be supporting the team and hoping that we kick LSU's _____. If we have to go on the road to play P5 schools until we get some respect and get them to come to Lafayette, then f'ing do it! Bottom line is that you have to WIN some of those games.

Let me also say that if UL wins this game, it will very likely be due to some masterful coaching by Big Fish. If that happens, then I will get behind him for at least one more year.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunProud View Post
    Let me also say that if UL wins this game, it will very likely be due to some masterful coaching by Big Fish. If that happens, then I will get behind him for at least one more year.
    I would hold his extension over his head

Win this game and you can have it, lose well ... don't lose

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    I would hold his extension over his head

Win this game and you can have it, lose well ... don't lose
    I don't know if that's exactly how I would do it, but I would agree with the general premise.

He has had 8 years and 2 NBA first rounders with only 1 NCAA appearance and 1 conference regular season championship to show for his efforts. Up to this point, I would equate him to Ricky Bustle and Mark Hudspeth in that they were the right guys for the job at the time they were hired, but the job outgrew them. If he can't beat LSU, or at least be very competitive in the game, then we thank him for his contribution to the program and move on.

Clutch0364 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Only first rounder.

I don't know if that's exactly how I would do it, but I would agree with the general premise.

He has had 8 years and 2 NBA first rounders with only 1 NCAA appearance and 1 conference regular season championship to show for his efforts. Up to this point, I would equate him to Ricky Bustle and Mark Hudspeth in that they were the right guys for the job at the time they were hired, but the job outgrew them. If he can't beat LSU, or at least be very competitive in the game, then we thank him for his contribution to the program and move on.
    Is this real life???

Blog Entries

PERFECT FIT . OVERPAID. UNDERPERFORMED .PAY RAISE AND EXTENSION COMING SOON .

Com'on... His job is not on the line. School record wins. Seriously? Enough of this talk.

And being competitive will not make me happy... I will only be satisfied with a win. Prayerfully, Gant will be ready to go and Stove can provide some good minutes as well...

Gant needs to go see one of those Traiteur's I used to go see when I got really sick as a kid. Throw some gris gris on him.

CajunVic is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Gant needs to go see one of those Traiteur's I used to go see when I got really sick as a kid. Throw some gris gris on him.
    Absolutely. Get him to one immediately.

Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by cajundiehard View Post
    Com'on... His job is not on the line. School record wins. Seriously? Enough of this talk.
    ...and this view is precisely why he schedules like he does.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    ...and this view is precisely why he schedules like he does.

Moon being Moon

Moon being Moon
    The last 5 years have been good, hopefully they will excel what was accomplished over the last 5 years. I don't see how they can't pull some some increasingly better recruits to go to the next level.

Blog Entries

Moon being Moon
    I have no problem with his argument that there shouldn't be any discussion of firing him. The problem I do have is he talks about the last 5 seasons, completely dismissing the first three seasons. So its also fair to say that we have 1 Conference Championship, 1 NCAA Tournament Bid and 1 NIT Bid in 8 seasons. That is the entirety of his tenure.

He also points out Marlin won the first SBC Championship ever and that is true to my knowledge. Coach Evans and Coach Lee did not win any outright season championships. But if it comes down to 3 games in March, do those season championships mean as much as NCAA bids? I can tell you it didn't when Coach Evans was here, most people hated losing to Western Kentucky or Middle Tennessee, but the NCAA Tournament bids were fun.

So, while I agree with most of his comments, the improvement of the UL MBB over the last 5 years doesn't change my question, what should be fans reasonable expectation for NCAA appearances in years? Yes, we have 1 in the last 5 seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    I have no problem with his argument that there shouldn't be any discussion of firing him. The problem I do have is he talks about the last 5 seasons, completely dismissing the first three seasons. So its also fair to say that we have 1 Conference Championship, 1 NCAA Tournament Bid and 1 NIT Bid in 8 seasons. That is the entirety of his tenure.

He also points out Marlin won the first SBC Championship ever and that is true to my knowledge. Coach Evans and Coach Lee did not win any outright season championships. But if it comes down to 3 games in March, do those season championships mean as much as NCAA bids? I can tell you it didn't when Coach Evans was here, most people hated losing to Western Kentucky or Middle Tennessee, but the NCAA Tournament bids were fun.

So, while I agree with most of his comments, the improvement of the UL MBB over the last 5 years doesn't change my question, what should be fans reasonable expectation for NCAA appearances in years? Yes, we have 1 in the last 5 seasons.
    What is Marlin's signature win these past 8 years .. GSU / Houston 2014?

He's also wrong to an extent when he says that he averaged 22 wins a season over the last 5. If the statement is 22 wins overall, that is one thing, but if the statement is 22 Div I wins, then the statement is wrong. According to the schedules, Marlin has won 112 games over the last 5 seasons, but if you back out the 12 non Div. I wins, he only has 100 wins, which averages out to 20 wins. Don't get me wrong, 20 wins is nice, but when you look at the fact that a vast majority of those wins are against what is arguably the worst conference in the country, then I'm not very impressed, especially when you see that against the "Big Boys", he routinely gets skull drug. If we go back and take out all of the non Div. I wins over his 8 years, he is not much over .500 at UL. I know the wins against non Div. I teams "count" according to the NCAA, but not in my book, and they shouldn't count to other UL alum/fans.

My memory isn't great.. but wasn't Moon saying all that matters in making it to the NCAA some 3 or 4 years ago? Wasn't he saying regular season is meaningless, but NCAA appearance trumps all?

Maybe i'm confusing him with a caller....

Blog Entries

Marlin Rocks!

Y'all live with it.

ps Will Jay give RP credit for my post?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast