_ _ _ _
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 167

Thread: This loss is on you Marlin

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    1,487

    Default Re: This loss is on you marlin

    Not a good time to be less than 100% healthy, missed ft's, cold shooting from the floor, refs appeared biased at times especially the one of them. We played hard but uta matched our effort. No rim protector hurt too.


  2. #62
    DieHard1280's Avatar
    DieHard1280 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Harker Heights, TX
    Posts
    5,207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunProud View Post
    Bob needs to be thanked and then shown the door this evening. Time for him to go.
    Oh brother.

    We have to face the fact that we're not going to be the next Gonzaga. No one is ever in the history of mankind win 27 games and then get fired.

    Bob is right. It all comes down to 3 games in March and we only won one. That isn't going to change anytime soon. But it's ignorant to suggest that he should be fired.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,446

    Default Re: This loss is on you marlin

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    Sensitive a bit huh? Where did i say fire him? Nobody gives 2 shts about Maggard's personal feelings for a coach. The guy has been here almost a year while fans have been pumping time and money into this program their whole lives. Maggard will leave us for the first chance at a bigger gig. You keep raising prices people are going to want results, not a nice guy they can have a beer with. You know what makes the LSU mentality? Money
    I never mentioned maggard. You mentioned raising prices for results....He got results. a conference championship, records to show for it. And as a mid major you can't be dominant every year in mbb. If you're upset about our year as a whole, you're going to be disappointed a lot

  4. #64
    Just1More's Avatar
    Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    16,115
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: This loss is on you marlin

    Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    Not a good time to be less than 100% healthy, missed ft's, cold shooting from the floor, refs appeared biased at times especially the one of them. We played hard but uta matched our effort. No rim protector hurt too.
    Absolutely. I'm not defending Marlin for not making some in game adjustments... but if it's fair to "hang this loss on him" it is fair to "hang 27 wins on him". It wasn't his best planned or best in game coaching... but all that you just wrote ate our lunch today.

    I'm tired of being in a one bid conference that forces us to rely on the auto.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,446

    Default Re: This loss is on you marlin

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    And it isn't over... not what we wanted but we will be playing more basketball. Today we had Gant who can't breath, Stove isn't a hundred percent with his ankle, and Washington gets his nose busted. I'll argue that with those three at 100% we win today. If they are healthy hopefully we make a good run in the NIT.
    for the record I do think we win if healthy. It had nothing to do with "coaching" as some would have it.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,446

    Default Re: This loss is on you marlin

    Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    A great year against cupcakes failed every tough test
    very true. But that isn't a Marlin or even UL problem. Thats a systematic or conference issue. And I agree it sucks either way you put it.

  7. #67
    Just1More's Avatar
    Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    16,115
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: This loss is on you marlin

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragin' Caleb View Post
    for the record I do think we win if healthy. It had nothing to do with "coaching" as some would have it.
    We would have won if healthy. We would have won with smarter decision making. And we would have won with decent refereeing. We didn't win because all three worked against us today... in that order.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,446

    Default Re: This loss is on you marlin

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Again, let's not jump to conclusions. No one to this point has used the word fired in this discussion. What are your expectations?
    The goal every year should be 20+ wins, regular season champs, NCAA tourney bid.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    3,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    Absolutely. I'm not defending Marlin for not making some in game adjustments... but if it's fair to "hang this loss on him" it is fair to "hang 27 wins on him". It wasn't his best planned or best in game coaching... but all that you just wrote ate our lunch today.

    I'm tired of being in a one bid conference that forces us to rely on the auto.
    I fully give him credit for the 27 wins, but the fact remains, had he won just one game against a good non conference team, UL likely is an at large. However, year after year, he gets his arse handed to him by non conference opponents (and Hunter at G Statae). He is not even competitive against those teams. And according to Dead Air Walker, this is the best UL team he's seen.....BS!

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    lafayette
    Posts
    11,792

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragin' Caleb View Post
    I never mentioned maggard. You mentioned raising prices for results....He got results. a conference championship, records to show for it. And as a mid major you can't be dominant every year in mbb. If you're upset about our year as a whole, you're going to be disappointed a lot
    You chimed in on my post about Maggard. I am one who thinks this season was success because we put a trophy in the case and will hang a banner: im not a "3 games in March guy" our head coach is, well he now has as many conference championships as he does NCAA tourney trips. If he is gonna talk the "3 Games in March" talk..he needs to be a lot better than 1 of 8.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    9,966
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: This loss is on you marlin

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragin' Caleb View Post
    The goal every year should be 20+ wins, regular season champs, NCAA tourney bid.
    Fair enough, but to be more specific how often should we hit some of those goals or all of them to meet your expectations?

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    16,750

    Default Re: This loss is on you marlin

    Today will go down as one of the most historically depressing and gut wrenching day in my support of this program.

    Disappointed. Angry. Mostly for the players, who are excellent young men. Very let down for our fan base, not getting a chance to plaster our name across national television and represent our great community.

    I don't even care about the specifics right now. Punch drunk.


  13. #73
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,446

    Default Re: This loss is on you marlin

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    You chimed in on my post about Maggard. I am one who thinks this season was success because we put a trophy in the case and will hang a banner: im not a "3 games in March guy" our head coach is, well he now has as many conference championships as he does NCAA tourney trips. If he is gonna talk the "3 Games in March" talk..he needs to be a lot better than 1 of 8.
    Marlin might NOT be a "3 games in March guy". Ultimately he was right about what it takes to get to the NCAA tourney. The system and road to the tourney isn't up to Marlin so it doesn't matter what he thinks. Its a conference or systematic problem. I'm upset now but looking back this has been a special season. 1 out of 8 isn't good. or even mediocre. But I would say our program is in a good place to be competitive and truly compete for championships.
    Last edited by Ragin' Caleb; March 10th, 2018 at 07:32 pm. Reason: sorry, forgot to had to add that last sentence.

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    3,370
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: This loss is on you marlin

    Marlin had the team this year and he had them playing the kind of ball it takes to make the tourney.

    Gant getting sick and Stove injured is not on Marlin. With A healthy Gant and Stove Cajuns are dancing.

    Just saying, Marlin put together the best team in the league this year. Just bad luck in the worst time.


  15. #75
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    9,539

    Default Re: This loss is on you marlin

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunProud View Post
    I fully give him credit for the 27 wins, but the fact remains, had he won just one game against a good non conference team, UL likely is an at large. However, year after year, he gets his arse handed to him by non conference opponents (and Hunter at G Statae). He is not even competitive against those teams. And according to Dead Air Walker, this is the best UL team he's seen.....BS!
    This is not true about the at large. Our SOS, SOR, RPI etc were not good enough to get us in even with a win against a very average Ole Miss team or Wyoming. Hell, a win over Clemson likely wouldn't have gotten us in.

  16. #76
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    3,370
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Today will go down as one of the most historically depressing and gut wrenching day in my support of this program.

    Disappointed. Angry. Mostly for the players, who are excellent young men. Very let down for our fan base, not getting a chance to plaster our name across national television and represent our great community.

    I don't even care about the specifics right now. Punch drunk.
    Up there with losing game 3 of Supers in 2014? It is for me.

  17. #77
    Just1More's Avatar
    Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    16,115
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: This loss is on you marlin

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunProud View Post
    I fully give him credit for the 27 wins, but the fact remains, had he won just one game against a good non conference team, UL likely is an at large. However, year after year, he gets his arse handed to him by non conference opponents (and Hunter at G Statae). He is not even competitive against those teams. And according to Dead Air Walker, this is the best UL team he's seen.....BS!
    Jay is wrong. And Bob doesn't floor giant killers... that's for sure. But this was a damn good season overall. Today sucked. Plenty of things to blame. I was starting to care more about these fine young men getting into the big dance more than my thoughts on Bob. I'm bummed for them.

  18. #78
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    66

    Default Re: This loss is on you marlin

    Early schedule was bad


  19. #79
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    16,750

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by axg8750 View Post
    Up there with losing game 3 of Supers in 2014? It is for me.
    Harry dropping that fly ball is my all time worst sports moment.. I still want to cry when I think about it.

    But my expectations were different. I thought we'd beat Ole Miss.
    Unfortunately, I had a feeling we'd lose to UTA. So not as bad as that, but definitely top 5 worse Cajun sports day.

  20. #80
    Just1More's Avatar
    Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    16,115
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: This loss is on you marlin

    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    This is not true about the at large. Our SOS, SOR, RPI etc were not good enough to get us in even with a win against a very average Ole Miss team or Wyoming. Hell, a win over Clemson likely wouldn't have gotten us in.
    That's a sad reality that adds to my dislike of being in this one bid basketball conference.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •