_ _ _ _
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: BB Final: Louisiana 4, LSU 3

Default Re: BB Final: Louisiana 4, LSU 3

Great win. Great atmosphere. Even the LSU fans that sat around me were pleasant and very complimentary of the new Tigue.

Colton Schmidt was beyond outstanding. Defense was really good, as usual. I thought Stolke was good as well, but was squeezed a little by the home plate ump.

However, I am still very concerned about the hitting. We came out and were aggressive in the first 3 innings, but then, we went back to the same take 2 strikes BS. The guys who are hitting are the ones who have been hitting since game one. Even though their averages aren't high, they are making solid contact and aren't getting fooled, but the others, they are still taking a very poor approach at the plate and their swings are mechanically unsound. Way too many strikeouts. A lot of the guys have very long swings, and even when they make contact, they are very late on the ball. No matter how this team finishes this season, a change at hitting coach is imperative.

Just1More is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CajunProud View Post
    Great win. Great atmosphere. Even the LSU fans that sat around me were pleasant and very complimentary of the new Tigue.

Colton Schmidt was beyond outstanding. Defense was really good, as usual. I thought Stolke was good as well, but was squeezed a little by the home plate ump.

However, I am still very concerned about the hitting. We came out and were aggressive in the first 3 innings, but then, we went back to the same take 2 strikes BS. The guys who are hitting are the ones who have been hitting since game one. Even though their averages aren't high, they are making solid contact and aren't getting fooled, but the others, they are still taking a very poor approach at the plate and their swings are mechanically unsound. Way too many strikeouts. A lot of the guys have very long swings, and even when they make contact, they are very late on the ball. No matter how this team finishes this season, a change at hitting coach is imperative.
    I'm actually impressed with last night's batting. I watched it on TV... and a lot of what people would call sitting on strikes... was way more the result of some seriously good pitches. I have watched this group take too many pitches too close to the zone. But last night... even MLB batters would have watched most of those strikes go by. I do agree we were late on a lot of fast balls. Many of our hitters are taking way too big of a cut instead of contact hitting. That is a coaching issue IMO. But in reality, we aren't going to see that change.

But I have say overall... I'm still very convinced all of the batting averages were down by great pitching more than bad at bats. That may not be a popular thing to say... but I believe it. Pitch for pitch... our guys have been seeing some serious work off the mound. Our pitching has almost matched those performances. Last night gave me more hope than ever that our relatively inexperienced batting corps is going to figure it out... super batting coach or not... before this season closes.

Does anyone have a link to the video of the double squeeze?

Haha a lot of not caring going on at tiger droppings

https://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/...750271/page-2/

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    I'm actually impressed with last night's batting. I watched it on TV... and a lot of what people would call sitting on strikes... was way more the result of some seriously good pitches. I have watched this group take too many pitches too close to the zone. But last night... even MLB batters would have watched most of those strikes go by. I do agree we were late on a lot of fast balls. Many of our hitters are taking way too big of a cut instead of contact hitting. That is a coaching issue IMO. But in reality, we aren't going to see that change.

But I have say overall... I'm still very convinced all of the batting averages were down by great pitching more than bad at bats. That may not be a popular thing to say... but I believe it. Pitch for pitch... our guys have been seeing some serious work off the mound. Our pitching has almost matched those performances. Last night gave me more hope than ever that our relatively inexperienced batting corps is going to figure it out... super batting coach or not... before this season closes.
    You could very well be right, and I hope you are.

Just1More is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CajunProud View Post
    You could very well be right, and I hope you are.
    Obviously, I'm optimistic. But as I watched pitch after pitch... and took the at-bats in my mind... I could see that the puzzle was more complex than most think. When we face SBC weekend series pitchers... I think we'll see entirely different results. USA doesn't count in SBC play... but this weekend should allow some of our guys to make better plate appearances. I hope that the gauntlet they've faced up to now will benefit them from here on out.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    Obviously, I'm optimistic. But as I watched pitch after pitch... and took the at-bats in my mind... I could see that the puzzle was more complex than most think. When we face SBC weekend series pitchers... I think we'll see entirely different results. USA doesn't count in SBC play... but this weekend should allow some of our guys to make better plate appearances. I hope that the gauntlet they've faced up to now will benefit them from here on out.
    I think we will get much better as the season progresses. Last nights lineup and lots of this season has had exactly 3 guys who have seen D1 pitching, 1 of which hasn't played in almost 2 years with a back Injury. 70% if our lineup has been trying to figure out D1 pitching against front line arms.

wcd35 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by ragincajuns99 View Post
    Does anyone have a link to the video of the double squeeze?

The funny thing is if you know Tony I knew the double squeeze was going to be attempted. As long as I can remember we have pulled that off at least once a season.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CajunMarineBBK View Post
    The funny thing is if you know Tony I knew the double squeeze was going to be attempted. As long as I can remember we have pulled that off at least once a season.
    We will see it again this year, I'm sure.

Clutch0364 is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by CajunMarineBBK View Post
    Ran it against Wright State. Hitter ended up on 3rd after error.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    We will see it again this year, I'm sure.
    Yes we will. However we threw a wrinkle in it last night. It was an 0-0 count. Normally that's not the count we do it in. And kudos to kausuls on bunting a big breaking ball and got it to stay fair

Great win and a great atmosphere! What a call by our coaching staff on the double squeeze. 11 hits is also a positive sign going forward.

11 hits were 11 singles though need to see a bit more extra bases

Quote Originally Posted by wcd35 View Post

Looking at the pitchers eyes before the pitch, you could tell he was scared

Thanks, needed that for a little Facebook bragging this AM. Spreading the word...

Was a very entertaining game. Nice to see the rivalry where it should be with respect between the players on the field and a healthy but heated rivalry with fans off the field. Not sure if anyone noticed but one of the LSU players flipped the winning ball back to one of our guys as the game finished. Will be an interesting matchup in the second go around.

Pitching was superb on both sides of the ball and I thought the ump was pretty consistent for the most part.

Some of our hitters are starting to key in and even if it isn't showing in the stats yet you can see the improvement. Others however leave me shaking my head at times.

The S. Ala series this weekend is huge. Much like us they have played top caliber competition to open the season. While the UL & LSU players seem to be getting along (many of them are friends) I don't expect the same this weekend. Things might get a little testy out on the basepads before it is all over with.

Our 2 strike approach is still terrible. But the compete in the box has gotten better

Frenchie35 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Hudsheen#Fired View Post
    Looking at the pitchers eyes before the pitch, you could tell he was scared
    I get this: "The media could not be played".

Quote Originally Posted by lifetimecajun View Post
    Yes we will. However we threw a wrinkle in it last night. It was an 0-0 count. Normally that's not the count we do it in. And kudos to kausuls on bunting a big breaking ball and got it to stay fair
    This is an excellent point. Normally we wait for 1-0. Very interesting (and somewhat surprising) to hear Mainieri say they weren't expecting the squeeze with the #4 hitter up. His scouting report should have said we'd bunt ANYONE, ANYTIME.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast