_ _ _ _
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Marlin: 'It was good ... to take a punch in the mouth'

  1. UL Basketball Marlin: 'It was good ... to take a punch in the mouth'

    It may have seemed like the end of the world to some.

    But after the Sun Belt Conference regular season-champion UL basketball team dropped its regular-season finale to last-place Little Rock 72-61 in overtime Saturday night, Ragin' Cajuns coach Bob Marlin sought out some silver lining.



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    1,049

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy View Post
    It may have seemed like the end of the world to some.

    But after the Sun Belt Conference regular season-champion UL basketball team dropped its regular-season finale to last-place Little Rock 72-61 in overtime Saturday night, Ragin' Cajuns coach Bob Marlin sought out some silver lining.

    Just reading the title, I agree. A little humble pie isn't a bad thing.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    broussard,la
    Posts
    6,229
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Marlin: 'It was good ... to take a punch in the mouth'

    Quote Originally Posted by Tripple Threat View Post
    Just reading the title, I agree. A little humble pie isn't a bad thing.
    lets hope this embarrassing kick in the testes serves as fortitude.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    19,887
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Marlin: 'It was good ... to take a punch in the mouth'

    I think the tournament is the ultimate refocus tool.

    What scares me usually is how many times I've seen long win streaks, busted, only to be followed by losing streaks.

    I don't think that will happen here, but I still don't subscribe to "that loss was a good thing" attitude.


  5. #5
    RaginScotsman's Avatar
    RaginScotsman is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    7,511

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I think the tournament is the ultimate refocus tool.

    What scares me usually is how many times I've seen long win streaks, busted, only to be followed by losing streaks.

    I don't think that will happen here, but I still don't subscribe to "that loss was a good thing" attitude.
    I think the "good time for a loss" or "that'll help us in the long run" attitude is just what upset sports fans say to make themselves feel a bit better. I know I do.

    I'm sure there's some evidence to back it up. Like team's that have gone on tears after a bad loss. We'll certainly let know on Sunday if we're part of that group. I think we are.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Flagship-Land
    Posts
    736

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RaginScotsman View Post
    I think the "good time for a loss" or "that'll help us in the long run" attitude is just what upset sports fans say to make themselves feel a bit better. I know I do.

    I'm sure there's some evidence to back it up. Like team's that have gone on tears after a bad loss. We'll certainly let know on Sunday if we're part of that group. I think we are.
    When you are constantly winning, you start to think you can't lose.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Carencro
    Posts
    914

    Default Re: Marlin: 'It was good ... to take a punch in the mouth'

    The only positive I can see is that this loss didn't come in the first round of the Conference tournament


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    9,052

    Default Re: Marlin: 'It was good ... to take a punch in the mouth'

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I think the tournament is the ultimate refocus tool.

    What scares me usually is how many times I've seen long win streaks, busted, only to be followed by losing streaks.

    I don't think that will happen here, but I still don't subscribe to "that loss was a good thing" attitude.
    It's a good thing if what was needed is a mental reset. It won't be a good thing if teams take a page out of that book and start going more zone against us in the tourney and neutralize our offense. We'll see.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,293

    Default Re: Marlin: 'It was good ... to take a punch in the mouth'

    Coachspeak. Never good to lose a game.

    This team will rebound and run the table in the tourney. When they focus, they are unstoppable in our league.


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    2,313

    Default Re: Marlin: 'It was good ... to take a punch in the mouth'

    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    It's a good thing if what was needed is a mental reset. It won't be a good thing if teams take a page out of that book and start going more zone against us in the tourney and neutralize our offense. We'll see.

    We have zone busters that weren't hitting that night which enabled LR to stay in a zone... Usually we have someone hot from 3.... but that wasn't the case Saturday night. I'd like to see Cedric Russell shoot it a lot more. He is going to be special before he's done here...

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    SW Wisconsin
    Posts
    871

    Default Re: Marlin: 'It was good ... to take a punch in the mouth'

    It seemed to me that Marlin saw what was happening and let it happen. Hopefully it drove home the point that by not doing what got them there hard-nosed defense and efficient offense they'd be in trouble. We'll see if that lesson was learned.


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    9,052

    Default Re: Marlin: 'It was good ... to take a punch in the mouth'

    Quote Originally Posted by cajundiehard View Post
    We have zone busters that weren't hitting that night which enabled LR to stay in a zone... Usually we have someone hot from 3.... but that wasn't the case Saturday night. I'd like to see Cedric Russell shoot it a lot more. He is going to be special before he's done here...
    You are right but we are at our best against Man defense. Bartley, Marquetti and Stove have killed people by cutting into the lane and getting short jumpers and layups not to mention Stroman has been real effective getting into the lane and distributing to the bigs. That is where we've put up most of our points. I agree that the 3 was not falling like it should but I'd rather build my scoring base from those short shots in the lane versus living and dying by the 3. I fear that just about everybody we see in the tournament will go zone against us and that affects our rhythm.

  13. #13
    Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    7,063

    Default Re: Marlin: 'It was good ... to take a punch in the mouth'

    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    You are right but we are at our best against Man defense. Bartley, Marquetti and Stove have killed people by cutting into the lane and getting short jumpers and layups not to mention Stroman has been real effective getting into the lane and distributing to the bigs. That is where we've put up most of our points. I agree that the 3 was not falling like it should but I'd rather build my scoring base from those short shots in the lane versus living and dying by the 3. I fear that just about everybody we see in the tournament will go zone against us and that affects our rhythm.
    Having Jonathon Stove healthy would go a long way towards our "rhythm" coming back.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    19,887
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Marlin: 'It was good ... to take a punch in the mouth'

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Having Jonathon Stove healthy would go a long way towards our "rhythm" coming back.
    For sure, 85% would be nice

    I doubt he gets back to 100% this year, and healthy is relative so I will take what I can get as long as he isn't endangering his long term health.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,314

    Default Re: Marlin: 'It was good ... to take a punch in the mouth'

    Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    Coachspeak. Never good to lose a game.

    This team will rebound and run the table in the tourney. When they focus, they are unstoppable in our league.
    Much easier to coach after a loss. Deflates some of the egos, as well.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    15,978

    Default Re: Marlin: 'It was good ... to take a punch in the mouth'

    Marlin may be using coach speak, but in this case, he's right. Im ____ed we didn't complete an undefeated home schedule but if we make it to the dance and win a game (or 2 or 3), no one will remember that loss.

    In fact, I think the loss will end up being a positive thing. Some conference snubs and a loss to UALR will give them a chip on their shoulders. When you dominate a league all year, hard to stay fully engaged. This will get the team's attention.


  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.
    Posts
    6,429

    Default Re: Marlin: 'It was good ... to take a punch in the mouth'

    Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Marlin may be using coach speak, but in this case, he's right. Im ____ed we didn't complete an undefeated home schedule but if we make it to the dance and win a game (or 2 or 3), no one will remember that loss.

    In fact, I think the loss will end up being a positive thing. Some conference snubs and a loss to UALR will give them a chip on their shoulders. When you dominate a league all year, hard to stay fully engaged. This will get the team's attention.
    The Omaha ball club got swept by UNO last week of the seaon, lost the conference tourney and went into the regionals having lost 5 of their last 8. Nobody panicked then because they were on cruise for most of the season and showed they could focus when they had to.

    I get the same feeling about this basketball team. Only difference is there is no at-large bid waiting for them. After the LR loss, I think this team will be laser focused.

  18. #18
    Just1More's Avatar
    Just1More is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    16,031
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Marlin: 'It was good ... to take a punch in the mouth'

    It wasn't by design to allow that game to go so ugly on the offensive end. But after it happens... and you got your nuts handed to you... the absolute best thing to do is use it to your advantage. And that's exactly what I see Marlin doing. No one can guarantee we won't get beat in the tournament. But the best offensive characteristics of this team were not on display against LR. And regardless of whether we falter or not in the tournament... it will not be because we forgot what got us the #1 seed in the first place. I think we'll be sharp and smart in the tournament. There's too much on the line.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •