_ _ _ _
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sun Belt Suspends Error Prone Umpire Crew

Blog Entries

Default Re: Sun Belt Suspends Error Prone Umpire Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Rougarou View Post
    Insert the proverbial: "That's baseball."

You don't have to argue with the umps to get them suspended. I believe you can send a report to the conference complaining. They do so in football where they send in film of missed calls. Although I don't know if they ever suspend football referees.
    They fill out reports on umpires after every series. I'm not certain who is the head of umpires in the SBC now.

UL Baseball Sun Belt suspends umpire crew for mistakes in UL game

Four umpires suspended one game by the Sun Belt Conference for mistakes made in UL loss from which Cajuns coach Tony Robichaux was ejected.

Is this just a Sun Belt think? Like - does it really cost them anything or is it just PR? Can these guys just go pick up a Southland or SWAC game? Or - does it really cost them anything at all? At least they know they screwed up - but sad thing is it was probably intentional - at least the final call and first.

Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by cajundiehard View Post
    Is this just a Sun Belt think? Like - does it really cost them anything or is it just PR? Can these guys just go pick up a Southland or SWAC game? Or - does it really cost them anything at all? At least they know they screwed up - but sad thing is it was probably intentional - at least the final call and first.
    One of them called the LSU-Grambling game last night. Many of these umps also work SEC games so maybe this does not hit them financially as much as hoped. In all likelihood however, they were probably slated to call a mid week SBC game somewhere soon and now no longer will. Difficult to find a replacement gig on short notice so they probably are impacted financially.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    One of them called the LSU
    Miller and Broussard according to the box score...

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

There's no way around Robe's suspension... but I'm glad that umpire crew got suspended a game. I wish they were banned from UL games. That first base ump intentionally called the last runner out because he was mental after being booed and heckled for losing his sack in the ump huddle.

The true test of an ump is to take the worst heckling ever... and still call every detail as fair as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by cajundiehard View Post
    Brother-in-law is a college ump. His schedule is pretty much made through the tourneys. So they probably won't be able to pick up another league's game for that day. But yeah most call games for multiple conferences sunbelt, southland, swac, etc.

Paul Guillie, who handles umps for the SEC, handles them for the Sun Belt as well.

Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    While one game doesn't seem like much, that's quite a bit of $$$ I wouldn't want deducted from my check.
    $500 a game

Yeah...that may be chump change for some of you but for me that's a LOT of money.

Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Yeah...that may be chump change for some of you but for me that's a LOT of money.
    Probably a lot of money for those guys as well. Many of them would not be umps if they were making big dollars in their other work.

500 a game? if they pick up 1 mid week and a weekend series thats 2,000 grand a week from early february through may.

nice 32,000 for a lil over a quarter of the year working nights and weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxCajuns View Post
    500 a game? if they pick up 1 mid week and a weekend series thats 2,000 grand a week from early february through may.

nice 32,000 for a lil over a quarter of the year working nights and weekends.
    plus mileage reimbursements and per diem or expenses. not a bad side gig.

Blog Entries

Having a conference suspension on your resume could prove more costly at some point.

They are way overpaid. No wonder those bozo's think they are prima donnas

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Having a conference suspension on your resume could prove more costly at some point.
    Im sure that has a lot to do with post season crew selections. The post season games are where the big money is as far as umpires are concerned.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2