_ _ _ _
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: SEC Rant: What is the university of Louisiana?

Default Re: SEC Rant: What is the university of Louisiana?

Momentum is on our side. With the major sports media largely on board now, the number of people from other universities who bother to care will slowly decrease. In a decade only the super hard core weirdoes from those other schools will even know about it.

The key battles in the war (SBC going along, ESPN etc going along) have been won.

Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    Momentum is on our side. With the major sports media largely on board now, the number of people from other universities who bother to care will slowly decrease. In a decade only the super hard core weirdoes from those other schools will even know about it.

The key battles in the war (SBC going along, ESPN etc going along) have been won.
    Last big battleground is the AP ..its the Name policies Waterloo

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    This is true.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    In just about every state, the University of is a more highly rated school or even a flagship than State University. Three exceptions are Louisiana State, Ohio State and Arizona State. Think of the other states - Florida, Texas, Cal, Michigan, Washington, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Kentucky, Oregon, Iowa, Mississippi, Alabama, Missouri, etc., etc. Maybe perception is a concern, although I think complete dominance is their continuing objective.
    I've always seen UA as the flag ship in Arizona.

Quote Originally Posted by FacelessBuffoon View Post
    I've always seen UA as the flag ship in Arizona.
    You are correct, my mistake. LSU, Ohio State and Penn State are the only State Universities that are Flagships. University of Pennsylvania is private. Ohio State leads the single University System of Ohio schools. LSU is not over the UL System, but is declared the Flagship university over the state which includes the LSU System, UL System, as well as I assume the Southern University System. Louisiana State University and Agricultural and Mechanical College and Southern University and A&M College at Baton Rouge are "commonly referred to" as LSU and Southern. So, we commonly refer to ourselves as Louisiana.

Here is a listing of Flagship universities alphabetically. Interesting to see those Flagship universities with city tags as part of their official names. Some use commas, hyphens and at, while others use none of these as part of their official name:

University of Alaska Fairbanks
    University of California, Berkeley
    University of Colorado Boulder
    University of Hawaii at Manoa
    University of Illinois at Urbana-Champagne
    University of Maryland, College Park
    University of Massachusetts Amherst
    University of Nebraska - Lincoln
    University of Nevada, Reno
    University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
    University of Texas at Austin
    University of Wisconsin - Madison

We use University of Louisiana ... at Lafayette, but our logo omits the "at".

Flagship universities - State university system

A
    University of Alabama
    University of Alaska Fairbanks
    University of Arizona
    University of Arkansas

B
    University at Buffalo

C
    University of California, Berkeley
    University of Colorado Boulder
    University of Connecticut

D
    University of Delaware

F
    University of Florida

G
    University of Georgia

H
    University of Hawaii at Manoa

I
    University of Idaho
    University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign
    Indiana University Bloomington
    University of Iowa

K
    University of Kansas
    University of Kentucky

L
    Louisiana State University

M
    University of Maine
    University of Maryland, College Park
    University of Massachusetts Amherst
    University of Michigan
    University of Minnesota
    University of Mississippi
    University of Missouri
    University of Montana

N
    University of Nebraska–Lincoln
    University of Nevada, Reno
    University of New Hampshire
    University of New Mexico
    University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
    University of North Dakota

O
    Ohio State University
    University of Oklahoma
    University of Oregon

P
    Pennsylvania State University

R
    University of Rhode Island
    Rutgers University

S
    University of South Carolina
    University of South Dakota

T
    University of Tennessee
    University of Texas at Austin

U
    University of Utah

V
    University of Vermont
    University of Virginia

W
    University of Washington
    West Virginia University
    University of Wisconsin–Madison
    University of Wyoming

"With most states the U of ______ is the flagship and the ______ State a secondary school. We only want flagships in the SEC so LSU and Miss St have to go!"

PHA HA HA HAAAA

It's now 34 years and counting on the name battle. Those that will be against our UL athletic brand will always be against it. At least half of my generation is in that number and I gave up arguing with them a few years ago. It's different for the younger generation though. The younger LSU diehards are less insecure about our name issue. Heck, in another 34 short years the name debate will finally be behind those of you that are still around.

For me personally, when I quit worrying about what LSU supporters think about anything, the level of frustration and stress in my life decreased dramatically.

Quote Originally Posted by Oiler View Post
    For me personally, when I quit worrying about what LSU supporters think about anything, the level of frustration and stress in my life decreased dramatically.
    Those fans can ULaLa me, Southwestern Loosiana me, call me whatever.. but if ESPN and those that show us on TV and online show the right name.... its a win in my book.

It amazes me that LSU fans still perpetuate this falsehood that we want to be the "Flagship" as the only reason why we want to brand ourselves Louisiana. I have never in my life heard any UL fan say this, ever!

They claim that we want to be the flagship because they have no other logical explanation of reasoning for this matter other than the fact that they either A) have nothing better to do or B) cover their own insecurities. If you go to that site, there's a lot of threads basically poking fun at LSU and their fans for reasons like the stated above.

There was even another thread on that site about why LSU fans have "small man complex." A Kentucky fan chimed in saying that because they're now mediocre across the board, their fans are having trouble dealing with it. He said that Saban made their whole fan base quit LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by ulXrunner View Post
    It amazes me that LSU fans still perpetuate this falsehood that we want to be the "Flagship" as the only reason why we want to brand ourselves Louisiana. I have never in my life heard any UL fan say this, ever!
    technically, i do want to become the flagship, but that will take years and years past my lifetime if it were to happen. (i know they are designated through legislation as well)

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    They claim that we want to be the flagship because they have no other logical explanation of reasoning for this matter other than the fact that they either A) have nothing better to do or B) cover their own insecurities. If you go to that site, there's a lot of threads basically poking fun at LSU and their fans for reasons like the stated above.

There was even another thread on that site about why LSU fans have "small man complex." A Kentucky fan chimed in saying that because they're now mediocre across the board, their fans are having trouble dealing with it. He said that Saban made their whole fan base quit LOL.
    Right now is the perfect time to strike they cant use their political favors because it looks petty with the budget shortfall & interest in LSU athletics and Academics is at a 20 year low

Blog Entries

F'em. I was enjoying my 2nd Freshman year at UL in 84 and I wanted one of them UL diplomas.

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxCajuns View Post
    technically, i do want to become the flagship, but that will take years and years past my lifetime if it were to happen. (i know they are designated through legislation as well)
    I have zero doubt that this will happen one day.....likely not for a long time, but the thing about universities is that are a forever kind of thing. Our area, our people will see to it, eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by LaCajunsFan View Post
    I have zero doubt that this will happen one day.....likely not for a long time, but the thing about universities is that are a forever kind of thing. Our area, our people will see to it, eventually.
    Build better athletic programs than they and you rule the state. As we all know, the majority of their fans have never set foot on their campus.

Who reads the disassociated depressed anyway? When is last time their AP preseason football poll picked the correct champ? One out of last 40, maybe?

ZoomZoom is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Right now is the perfect time to strike they cant use their political favors because it looks petty with the budget shortfall & interest in LSU athletics and Academics is at a 20 year low
    Think again...state down economy, LSU football sliding backwards, their fans restless, UL fans impatient. '84 all over again.

oops wrong thread...lol

Quote Originally Posted by ulXrunner View Post
    Maybe we SHOULD be the flagship. At minimum, I'm willing to bet we would be more magnanimous to the other universities in the state. I'm willing to bet we do more with less every day compared to our state's current flagship. Maybe a free market approach would give our state's citizens better return on our educational investment. Look at what that kind of approach has done for LSU athletics. Res Ipsa Loquitur.

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxCajuns View Post
    LSU should be the flagship of the LSU System ONLY. Is Southern the flagship of the Southern System. The UL System should have its own flagship and UL should be it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast