Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: SEC Rant: What is the university of Louisiana?

RaginScotsman is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: SEC Rant: What is the university of Louisiana?

I love this response:

"LSU fans always seem to come unhinged on this topic.
    It makes no sense to write a multiple paragraph post about another school's athletic brand, then in the same post you try to say that you don't care about a small directional school.

They are the 2nd largest school in the state. In one of the best cities in the entire state.

Their athletic brand is Louisiana.
    Get over it."

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    When discussing all the names we have officially had in the past they always fail to mention university of Louisiana in 83-84. No one ever mentions it was the unprecedented reversal on the voted name change that was the odd thing in this whole name thing.

For a school that is nothing to the SEC they sure do go on for a long time talking about it.
    Not to mention that they've changed their name 3 times as well....if we've could've had our way that's only 1 less change than us if we could've kept our name in 1984.

Them
    Louisiana State Seminary of Learning & Military Academy (1853)
    Louisiana State University (1870)
    Louisiana State University and Agricultural & Mechanical College (1874)

Us
    Southwestern Louisiana Industrial Institute (1898)
    Southwestern Louisiana Institute of Liberal and Technical Learning (1921)
    University of Southwestern Louisiana (1960)

Also, most every other school in the state has changed names at least 3-4 times.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginScotsman View Post
    I love this response:

"LSU fans always seem to come unhinged on this topic.
    It makes no sense to write a multiple paragraph post about another school's athletic brand, then in the same post you try to say that you don't care about a small directional school.

They are the 2nd largest school in the state. In one of the best cities in the entire state.

Their athletic brand is Louisiana.
    Get over it."
    Yeah.....my favorite post as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckster View Post
    They need to get over it and take a look around. Just about every state has a major university with the word State in it then another major university without it, only the name of their State. The level of prominence varies state to state.
    This guy made me LOL:

"C'mon, this isn't that hard!

It's the same as everywhere else: there's the University of Arkansas, and then there's Arkansas State. There's the University of Tennessee, and then there's Tennessee State. There's the University of Alabama, and then there's Alabama State.

Same thing: there's the University of Louisiana, and then there's Louisiana State."

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunfanatico View Post
    This guy made me LOL:

It's the same as everywhere else: there's the University of Arkansas, and then there's Arkansas State. There's the University of Tennessee, and then there's Tennessee State. There's the University of Alabama, and then there's Alabama State.

Same thing: there's the University of Louisiana, and then there's Louisiana State."
    That's one of the things that irks the tiggers so much. In almost every instance, the team with the State added is the smaller school.

Even so, it is childish to make a fuss like this when absolutely no one thinks that we are trying to supplant them as the top school in the state. All we are trying to do is increase our stature and have our name reflect our status as the 2nd largest school in LA.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunfanatico View Post
    This guy made me LOL:

In just about every state, the University of is a more highly rated school or even a flagship than State University. Three exceptions are Louisiana State, Ohio State and Arizona State. Think of the other states - Florida, Texas, Cal, Michigan, Washington, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Kentucky, Oregon, Iowa, Mississippi, Alabama, Missouri, etc., etc. Maybe perception is a concern, although I think complete dominance is their continuing objective.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    In just about every state, the University of is a more highly rated school or even a flagship than State University. Three exceptions are Louisiana State, Ohio State and Arizona State. Think of the other states - Florida, Texas, Cal, Michigan, Washington, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Kentucky, Oregon, Iowa, Mississippi, Alabama, Missouri, etc., etc. Maybe perception is a concern, although I think complete dominance is their continuing objective.
    I'm no lawyer, but I believe that every year that goes by that ESPN et al call us Louisiana, the harder it will be for the Red Shaft to one day step in and say, "that's not right, they can't do that".

Branding the athletic program as Louisiana was a brilliant move and actually represents the camel's nose under the tent to ultimately obtain the Holy Grail......that is rightfully ours.

Disclaimer: I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I partied too much and got my diploma in the fall of '84.

My biggest regret not graduating in the spring was missing out on that UL diploma.

What cracks me up is the fact that some of these goofs talk on both sides of their mouths. In one instance, we hear the old "you're small time" line. And then right after that, they proclaim "I can't believe that ESPN called them LOUISIANA! This is unacceptable!"

And the irony is that they call US insecure. LOL

CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Like we've got the power to make ESPN do anything.

No one cares until we start doing good and are relevant in a major sport. Isn't that funny?

This is comical! Excellent troll job by the razorback fan. Give it another 5 years and everyone will know is as Louisiana...it's a thing of beauty!

ZoomZoom is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Everyone is missing the right name..

Louisiana State University and Agricultural and Mechanical College at Baton Rouge.

Now with LSU-E ramping up athletics, I'm so confused...😂😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by ultracajun View Post
    I partied too much and got my diploma in the fall of '84.

My biggest regret not graduating in the spring was missing out on that UL diploma.
    Me too, except actually graduated in '85.

Let me tell you how bad this is, that is why Ohio State added the, now its THE Ohio State University, saying we are the university in the state of Ohio, and you talking about there competition is Ohio University that is in the MAC.

That is the only reason they included The in the name.

You would have to think the rest of the SEC are our friends in this issue. Anything to pizz off LSU!

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    What cracks me up is the fact that some of these goofs talk on both sides of their mouths. In one instance, we hear the old "you're small time" line. And then right after that, they proclaim "I can't believe that ESPN called them LOUISIANA! This is unacceptable!"

And the irony is that they call US insecure. LOL
    Let this be your template.

"This seems to matter to you a lot, for some reason."

End of discussion.

See, it either doesn't matter, in which arguing is foolish, or it matters a lot, in which case you're admitting it matters a lot.

I know why it matters to me. Why does it matter to YOU?

All of that, wrapped up in an easily tweetable: "This seems to matter to you a lot, for some reason."

Another handy template:

"I don't see Ohio State worrying about what Ohio calls themselves."

You can give the big examples, but give the small one. It makes the point more effectively. Ohio knows they're not Ohio State, and Ohio State's not the least bit concerned about what Ohio calls themselves, because they're Ohio State, so who cares what a mid-major calls themselves?

Easy peasy. No need to argue or look foolish.

Edited to add: Ohio State does proclaim themselves THE... That's fine. Worry about your own branding. Call yourselves THE LSU or whatever. LOL

Ohio state cares a little, since they stole name of ohio's stadium, bwahaha...
    Tiguh stadium should now be called lafayette stadium?

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    Good point, but in arizona and ohio at least there is the academic argument. The "states" are bigger and higher athletic budgets but academics make it hard to say which is the leader.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Soldier View Post
    I loved it made me laugh. The USA fan won points with me and now I think I'm a closet Bama fan especially when they play the LSU A&M
    Roll Tide!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast