Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Eric Mouton's son

Blog Entries

Default Re: Eric Mouton's son

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxCajuns View Post
    Rhett is like 6-4
    I was about to say .....

Wasn't Ryan Harrow from Ga St sub 6'0?... If so, he proved height doesn't matter if you're good enough...

Eric was a special player. At STM, he was on the same team as Lyle Mouton, who I believe was two time Louisiana POY, definitely was his Senior year. Anyway, in the state championship game that year, Washington-Marion played a box and one against STM, and the one was Eric, not Lyle.

It was gutsy move that was very effective.

Eric was a very late add to Fletcher's signing class. He was sold on Aaron Mitchell as his PG. Rickey Broussard recruited Eric HARD and was devastated when he didn't get him.

BeauCajun is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post
    Eric was a special player. At STM, he was on the same team as Lyle Mouton, who I believe was two time Louisiana POY, definitely was his Senior year. Anyway, in the state championship game that year, Washington-Marion played a box and one against STM, and the one was Eric, not Lyle.

I was also at that game. That was a strange game to watch. Danny would let Eric stand out in a corner with his man and let the others go 4 on 4.

He's' 5-8 if you stretch him out on a rack. But this kid can REALLY shoot the basketball. I'd actually be excited to have him as a walk-on.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post

I remember that game. Cougars ended up 38-2 that year. Ranked as high as #21 nationally in USA Today's high school poll, as I recall. Both losses came against the same team - Washington Marion - one was in a tournament early in the year and the other was the AAA state championship game. It's ashame that the refs put WM at the line with essentially no time left in a tie game. They made 1/2 FT to win by a point.

Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    He's' 5-8 if you stretch him out on a rack. But this kid can REALLY shoot the basketball. I'd actually be excited to have him as a walk-on.
    I have never seen him play. Has he demonstrated an ability to get his shot off against taller, D1 level talent at any point?

Not saying he can't, just an obvious question for a 5-7 guard.

Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    I have never seen him play. Has he demonstrated an ability to get his shot off against taller, D1 level talent at any point?

Not saying he can't, just an obvious question for a 5-7 guard.
    I haven't seen him play in person but after watching his video highlights they better guard him 30' from the basket! Larger question would be can he defend against these guys?

Quote Originally Posted by KapCajun View Post
    I haven't seen him play in person but after watching his video highlights they better guard him 30' from the basket! Larger question would be can he defend against these guys?
    In college he will be guarded 30' from the goal usually by a guy having 5-9 inches on him.

His dad was one of my favorite players from that era of Cajun basketball...I'd love to see him follow in those footsteps.

Quote Originally Posted by cajundiehard View Post
    I remember that game. Cougars ended up 38-2 that year. Ranked as high as #21 nationally in USA Today's high school poll, as I recall. Both losses came against the same team - Washington Marion - one was in a tournament early in the year and the other was the AAA state championship game. It's ashame that the refs put WM at the line with essentially no time left in a tie game. They made 1/2 FT to win by a point.
    I remember that game as well. I was a young boy at the time but I remember being extremely upset WM went to the line at the end. That was at the PMAC?

BeauCajun is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Big Buds View Post
    I remember that game as well. I was a young boy at the time but I remember being extremely upset WM went to the line at the end. That was at the PMAC?
    Correct.

Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    In college he will be guarded 30' from the goal usually by a guy having 5-9 inches on him.

His dad was one of my favorite players from that era of Cajun basketball...I'd love to see him follow in those footsteps.
    Me too and plenty other local supporters would probably feel the same...local talent boosts ticket sales.

Quote Originally Posted by BeauCajun View Post
    I was also at that game. That was a strange game to watch. Danny would let Eric stand out in a corner with his man and let the others go 4 on 4.
    Yes, that was early in Danny's coaching career, maybe fourth or fifth season. Not a doubt in my mind, Danny does things differently with more experience and STM wins that game.

CajunAmos is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Me too and plenty other local supporters would probably feel the same...local talent boosts ticket sales.
    That's always been stated, but I think winning teams boost ticket sales, not local players. If you're losing you might have that players family or some who went to school with them attend but that would be a pretty small minority of the 6000 plus we hope to start getting to the facility on a regular basis. That's where we were when basketball was a fan favorite in the past. JMO

Winning boost ticket sales. I see no reason to not let him walk-on, but I highly doubt the local kid who currently sits the bench moves the needle on attendance.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    That's always been stated, but I think winning teams boost ticket sales, not local players. If you're losing you might have that players family or some who went to school with them attend but that would be a pretty small minority of the 6000 plus we hope to start getting to the facility on a regular basis. That's where we were when basketball was a fan favorite in the past. JMO
    Great minds think alike!

Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    Winning boost ticket sales. I see no reason to not let him walk-on, but I highly doubt the local kid who currently sits the bench moves the needle on attendance.
    Keep in mind that his size now won't be his size later. From what I understand we would be offering the opportunity even if his Dad was not a former player. He is earning the walk in offer on his own. Still I agree this has little impact on attendance. Winning big for several years is what is needed here to drive that.

He will probably grow another 2-3" over the summer. He can shoot. Some of those shots were NBA distance. But he will definitely have to beef up some more. I hope he does come to UL and play for the Cajuns. I love it when former great players kids come to play for their parents alma mater.

Chris Gannon's son is supposed to walk on this year for football. Chris was a stud. If his son is half as good as Chris was, then his son will be a solid player. Hoping Eli will be a stud for UL basketball, like his father was.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunSaint08 View Post
    He will probably grow another 2-3" over the summer
    Huh? What in the world would make you think this??

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post
    Huh? What in the world would make you think this??
    I want whatever makes that happen automatically.

BTW that will leave him 5-9 to 5-10.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast