Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Baseball starting rotation set!

Default Re: Baseball starting rotation set!

I'm a huge fan of this rotation to start the season.

That's the 4th time I have heard him mention Gavin Bourgeois. He must be standing out from the rest of the pack.

Quote Originally Posted by jumboragncajun View Post
    That's the 4th time I have heard him mention Gavin Bourgeois. He must be standing out from the rest of the pack.
    The outfield is fluid with nothing decided.

But Bourgeois is an ideal leadoff hitter.

Quote Originally Posted by cajundiehard View Post
    No.... he ended up being day to day/week to week but we never saw him again.
    Yeah, was sorry that had happened, he was doing such a great job.....especially at the pontiff. I am stoked to see him be the Friday starter. Last year he was a true freshman, correct?

No. He was a redshirt freshman

Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    No. He was a redshirt freshman
    Does that make him draft eligible this year?

Quote Originally Posted by cajundiehard View Post
    Does that make him draft eligible this year?
    Red shirt sophomores are draft eligible

CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

UL Baseball Re: Baseball starting rotation set!

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJack55 View Post
    Just started listening, nothing really earth shattering...they are talking about the art of the bunt and why Robe loves bunting so much. Basically being able to control the game better and likes it when the pitcher they are facing is un-hittable

Talked about the starting rotation as you listed above.

Talking about how much they will miss Gunner, as he was like having a 4th coach on the staff when he was on the mound. He is currently working with the incoming freshmen.

Touched on the outfield a bit, Robe said this will be where we will see the most movement and bounsing around. Talked about incoming guys we will see out there making an immediate impact, specifically Janson Fontenot and Gavin Bourgeois.

Talking about the schedule. Likes the toughness of the schedule so his team can get bruised up and come out of it stronger. "iron sharpens iron" It is very good for the RPI.
    Unhittable pitchers? So yes, give him one less out to earn. Maybe our hitters simply aren't up to it, but Skip has multiple national championships, and even more trips to the CWS totally ignoring sacrifice bunts.

Sounds like another season where we're going to totally depend on low run wins. Good luck with those four arms.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Un-hittable pitchers? So yes, give him one less out to earn. Maybe our hitters simply aren't up to it, but Skip has multiple national championships, and even more trips to the CWS totally ignoring sacrifice bunts.

Sounds like another season where we're going to totally depend on low run wins. Good luck with those four arms.
    Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Unhittable pitchers? So yes, give him one less out to earn. Maybe our hitters simply aren't up to it, but Skip has multiple national championships, and even more trips to the CWS totally ignoring sacrifice bunts.

He was talking about specific games when his teams (or any team for that matter) is having trouble hitting a certain pitcher. Happens all the time. I think you are reading waaaay to much into that comment.

I can't believe we're going to do the "small ball" debate again, but ____ it.

The inability to play small ball has cost us dearly the last 2 seasons. I'd argue that small ball was our achiles heal last year and probably cost us in the neighborhood of 5-7 games, which ended up being the difference between going to the NCAAs or sitting at home on our asses.

All of our best teams were great utilizing small ball. Personally, I'm thrilled that we have a team willing to play small ball again. That style of play is closely tied to attitudes of grit and Out competing your opponent on every play.

Quote Originally Posted by Textitan View Post
    Anybody know if the Robe interview will be available on SoundCloud today?

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post

The inability to play small ball has cost us dearly the last 2 seasons. I'd argue that small ball was our achiles heal last year and probably cost us in the neighborhood of 5-7 games, which ended up being the difference between going to the NCAAs or sitting at home on our asses.

All of our best teams were great utilizing small ball. Personally, I'm thrilled that we have a team willing to play small ball again. That style of play is closely tied to attitudes of grit and Out competing your opponent on every play.
    Our best teams were dominant because the defense never knew what was coming. Jace Conrad comes up, stares at the centerfield wall, steps in, and drops a bunt 3 feet. You (almost) can't stop a team that can do that, if they can pitch too. We know we can pitch.

Clutch0364 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post

The teams with the ability to play small ball have won a lot of titles recently. Thankfully the era of guerilla boy has been over for at least a decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364 View Post
    The teams with the ability to play small ball have won a lot of titles recently. Thankfully the era of guerilla boy has been over for at least a decade.
    Especially at TD Ameritrade.

Blog Entries

Historically it always seems like Robe sacrifices real at bats (even against totally hittable pitchers) as bunt practice in preparing for the possible unhittable pitcher later.

Last year he said the poor hitting was due to all the missed at bats early in the season.

It seems like all the missed at bats from bunting practice in real games increases the chance of facing an unhittable pitcher.

All of which make the bunting philosophy a self fulfilling prophecy.

jmo/o observation/opinion.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2