_ _ _ _
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Kobe Julien

Default Re: Kobe Julien

Quote Originally Posted by APragincajun View Post
    Kobes Injury Happened Tuesday Night, I was told that the Tear was not a complete Tear and he should be Ok to go in the fall, im not a doctor so don't qoute me, but that's what I was told by someone extremely close to his family
    Even if its not a "complete tear", if its the ACL, they have to replace it, right? I dont think there is a repair.

A low grade partial tear can "heal" on its own without surgery. But for a high level athelete, might need to fix it.

An ACL repair is a replacement where a tendon graft is placed where the ACL should be to provide for the functional loss of the ACL.

Quote Originally Posted by cajundiehard View Post
    A low grade partial tear can "heal" on its own without surgery. But for a high level athelete, might need to fix it.

An ACL repair is a replacement where a tendon graft is placed where the ACL should be to provide for the functional loss of the ACL.
    Didn't know a ligament could heal especially one that takes the stress of an ACL. My son had his done and the choice was to use a cadaver ligament or his patellar tendon for the graft(which is stronger). If Julien needs the surgery, the healing time from the graft may be an issue as well.
    I wish the young man well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin4U View Post
    Didn't know a ligament could heal especially one that takes the stress of an ACL. My son had his done and the choice was to use a cadaver ligament or his patellar tendon for the graft(which is stronger). If Julien needs the surgery, the healing time from the graft may be an issue as well.
    I wish the young man well.
    It is extremely rare for even a partial tear to heal on its own. Especially for a high end athlete. I know way more about ACL tears than I ever wanted too. An autograft is better than an allograft (cadaver) for athletes. In particular the patellar tendon is the best but not the only option.

Unfortunately no matter what almost every one of these athletes will develop arthritis at a young age. There are various programs out there that can decrease the number of ACL tears but rarely are they implemented or done correctly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2