Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: GaS runs out of gas vs ULM

VObserver is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

UL Basketball Re: GaS runs out of gas vs ULM

According to the UL system, per the Advertiser, Marlin's salary is $519K. That is tops in the state except for LSU, and I am almost certain it is tops in the Sun Belt.

The information I found on Hunter at GaSt has him at $479K.

Quote Originally Posted by jllanclos View Post
    I think this is correct. I kept thinking, we have no answer. We have no adjustment. We have no strategy to stop them. They're making wide open 3's and slam after layup after dunk with virtually no resistance, from a team that's playing their ___es off.

Then ULM came in with a 1-2-1 zone and walked out with a win.

Will Marlin have the foresight and humility to study the ULM game tape? We have far better athletes and can beat GaSo by 20 in New Orleans if he does.
    This is why I was so mad.
    The one thing that absolutely CAN NOT HAPPEN in that game happened.

When you have a coach and team that have your number (3-10 against them), when the overwhelming majority of critics say you can't beat good teams, when you're playing the only team in this league that poses a threat to you, when you've been looking ahead to this game for what feels like 3 weeks.... You can not come in unprepared. You can not come in to that game not ready to match their energy level.

Those things happened and those things concern me in a profound way.

Default Re: GaS runs out of gas vs ULM

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I was more focusing on the sustainability comment.

I don't think losing in the tournament would render the season a disappointment. We still have some lofty goals that can be accomplished and playing in the NIT, while not what it once was, is still something. That would also mean we hang a league title in the dome and that's never a dissapointment.

But I'll tell you this.. I'll be pretty let down. This roster has got to get us into the dance. It's too talented, deep and multifaceted not to. I don't think I'm out of line when I say my expectations are to dominate the SBC.. in all sports.. Especially now that our AD has come out and set that barometer publicly.
    I would agree. I'd be bummed about not getting into the dance but it would be hard for me to slam the door on the season we've had, especially after winning the regular season title. That has been one of my biggest criticisms of Marlin over recent years and to win it would certainly make me eat my words. I don't think people realize how tough that is to do. I know that we often focus on who wins the conference tourney because it has immediate impact into the post season but I really think winning the regular season title helps us set ourselves up for a consistently built program that attracts better athletes and competes on more of a national stage.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    I would agree. I'd be bummed about not getting into the dance but it would be hard for me to slam the door on the season we've had, especially after winning the regular season title. That has been one of my biggest criticisms of Marlin over recent years and to win it would certainly make me eat my words. I don't think people realize how tough that is to do. I know that we often focus on who wins the conference tourney because it has immediate impact into the post season but I really think winning the regular season title helps us set ourselves up for a consistently built program that attracts better athletes and competes on more of a national stage.
    We also have a legit shot at going undefeated in the Dome, and I don't think that's ever happened.

This is why I was so mad.
    The one thing that absolutely CAN NOT HAPPEN I'm that game happened.

When you have a coach and team that have your number (3-10 against them), when the overwhelming majority of critics say you can't beat good teams, when you're playing the only team in this league that poses a threat to you, when you've been looking ahead to this game for what feels like 3 weeks.... You can not come in unprepared. You can not come in to that game not ready to match their energy level.

Those things happened and those things concern me in a profound way.
    While I was mad as well, I'm still willing to chalk it up to "They had our number that night". We were not without faults as I still can't understand coach going with that damned trap all game when it clearly hurt us more than helped us but we were clearly the hunted in that game. It reminds of when teams play UNC, Duke & Kentucky. Every team has them marked on their calendar as the game of the year and they always get their best shot. Ga State was absolutely ready for us.

While I was mad as well, I'm still willing to chalk it up to "They had our number that night". We were not without faults as I still can't understand coach going with that damned trap all game when it clearly hurt us more than helped us but we were clearly the hunted in that game. It reminds of when teams play UNC, Duke & Kentucky. Every team has them marked on their calendar as the game of the year and they always get their best shot. Ga State was absolutely ready for us.
    UNC, Duke and Kentucky go a combined 75-15 or better just about every year with that target on their chest, against much better competition than we play in conference. If we are the hunted, we better play like it.

Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

We also have a legit shot at going undefeated in the Dome, and I don't think that's ever happened.
    It has not. Four more games to accomplish that. Here comes a little coach speak. You have to win one before you can win two, three, or four. Therefore, focus needs to be Thursday night.

I think this is correct. I kept thinking, we have no answer. We have no adjustment. We have no strategy to stop them. They're making wide open 3's and slam after layup after dunk with virtually no resistance, from a team that's playing their ___es off.

Then ULM came in with a 1-2-1 zone and walked out with a win.

Will Marlin have the foresight and humility to study the ULM game tape? We have far better athletes and can beat GaSo by 20 in New Orleans if he does.
    A 1-2-1....mais, where was the 5th dude???? I didn't watch the game. Did they play a 1-3-1, a 1-2-2, a 2-1-2?

I totally agree that, while the Dance has more charisma, winning regular season titles on a regular basis is much more indicative of having a good program.

Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    A 1-2-1....mais, where was the 5th dude???? I didn't watch the game. Did they play a 1-3-1, a 1-2-2, a 2-1-2?
    I think the fifth guy was confused and was guarding coach Hunter all night, as he was no doubt on the court.

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    I think the fifth guy was confused and was guarding coach Hunter all night, as he was no doubt on the court.
    LMAO

Absolutely!!

Years ago, coaching some "what ifs" in practice, I asked a kid what type of defense should we be in if the offense was doing this. He said "a 1-2-3 zone". I pointed out that while that would be extremely effective it was also extremely illegal.

ULM was 2-1-2 in OT, which was all I saw of the game. It was effective.

Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    I think it was a 1-3-1. LOL

Edit: OK. 2-1-2. Whatever it was, Marlin should study the film. He can figure it out without my help. LOL

I think it was a 1-3-1. LOL
    That was Shipley's preferred defense during the Bo Lamar era.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by covcaj View Post
    That was Shipley's preferred defense during the Bo Lamar era.
    I always wondered.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I always wondered.

Thanks
    If I remember right (and I am an old man), Lamar played at the top, and a little white guy Denny Wright, maybe, played under the basket.

Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by covcaj View Post
    If I remember right (and I am an old man), Lamar played at the top, and a little white guy Denny Wright, maybe, played under the basket.
    Jerry Bisbano ran the baseline on defense in Lamar's last two years. He was also the point guard. It is correct that Lamar played the top in the 1-3-1 defense. Having guys like Peyton Townsend, Rob Ebron, and Fred Saunders in the middle of the zone made it very effective. Saunders especially was a key guy in that role as he had long arms and rebounded the ball well. He used those skills to play in the NBA for a few years. Denny Wright came off the bench for 10 minutes a game if he was lucky. I wish the current team would go to that defense occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Jerry Bisbano ran the baseline on defense in Lamar's last two years. He was also the point guard. It is correct that Lamar played the top in the 1-3-1 defense. Having guys like Peyton Townsend, Rob Ebron, and Fred Saunders in the middle of the zone made it very effective. Saunders especially was a key guy in that role as he had long arms and rebounded the ball well. He used those skills to play in the NBA for a few years. Denny Wright came off the bench for 10 minutes a game if he was lucky. I wish the current team would go to that defense occasionally.
    Did Roy Ebron have a brother on the team? LOL!

Scott Cross makes less than half of what Marlin makes. Marlin is making on par with the St. Mary's coach and Nevada coach.
    They are getting more bang for their buck.

+1

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast