_ _ _ _
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 121

Thread: GaS runs out of gas vs ULM

  1. #81
    CajunEXPRESS's Avatar
    CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    14,264

    Default Re: GaS runs out of gas vs ULM

    I'm all in on 2017/18 team. In fact I was so in I predicted 31/4 and a sweet 16 finish. Reality set in in the GSU loss. This team has lost very ugly three times, plus a nine point loss to Wyoming.

    IMO we're poised to win out in regular season. I'd just as soon not face GSU again. They match up very well vs the Cajuns. There's a couple of teams that we'd have trouble with if we're playing poorly.

    I'm definitely thinking we'll need a very favorable matchup in the NCAA to win a game. My sweet 16 would require us to win and an unlikely matchup with another upset winner like we had in NMSU under Marty.

    Speaking of Marlin. Again once in 7 years 3rd or better. In a 12 team conference 4th is dead center if you break the conference into thirds. He's been close, but mediocre. If he wins the regular , that's once if he wins the tournament that's 25% to the big dance, definitely good.

    This is basketball. Eight years to get on track is not close to good unless you're goals are pretty ordinary. Mine aren't, and frankly neither are Marlin's. He expected to be much further along.

    I'm be tickled pink if he'd never lose again. I've got no personal animosity towards him. Of course he'd abandon us a lot faster than we'd fire him if he got great results or horrible results. So let's keep this in mind


  2. #82
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,355

    Default Re: GaS runs out of gas vs ULM

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    I'm all in on 2017/18 team. In fact I was so in I predicted 31/4 and a sweet 16 finish. Reality set in in the GSU loss. This team has lost very ugly three times, plus a nine point loss to Wyoming.

    IMO we're poised to win out in regular season. I'd just as soon not face GSU again. They match up very well vs the Cajuns. There's a couple of teams that we'd have trouble with if we're playing poorly.

    I'm definitely thinking we'll need a very favorable matchup in the NCAA to win a game. My sweet 16 would require us to win and an unlikely matchup with another upset winner like we had in NMSU under Marty.

    Speaking of Marlin. Again once in 7 years 3rd or better. In a 12 team conference 4th is dead center if you break the conference into thirds. He's been close, but mediocre. If he wins the regular , that's once if he wins the tournament that's 25% to the big dance, definitely good.

    This is basketball. Eight years to get on track is not close to good unless you're goals are pretty ordinary. Mine aren't, and frankly neither are Marlin's. He expected to be much further along.

    I'm be tickled pink if he'd never lose again. I've got no personal animosity towards him. Of course he'd abandon us a lot faster than we'd fire him if he got great results or horrible results. So let's keep this in mind
    I think the matchup issues can be mitigated by adjusting your approach. We stayed too long with trying to trap the ball 40 feet from the goal. I think if we adjust early out of that it's a different game. Ga St lost to a team we beat by 30, so there is no way it's a talent issue. I get the match up theory but I don't think that's why we lost. I think we lost because we didn't adjust properly and they played particularly well. I think on a neutral court with the right game plan we beat them by double digits. Just my opinion.

    As far as the tourney goes, I think for to ever have a chance to reach the sweet 16 we would need very favorable matchups and some luck.

    I'm not a marlin apologist or basher. I do think the time has come though. This year needs to be the start of a good long run of good teams, not an anomaly. If we drop off to mid conference again next year then we need to start looking for another direction.

  3. #83
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,355

    Default Re: GaS runs out of gas vs ULM

    Also this is the schedule the greatest U(s)L team played. Note they did not list the non div 1 teams. There were 11 of them IF THIS SCHEDULE IS CORRECT.

    https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...-schedule.html

    That does not excuse our poor results against better teams this year. But is offered for perspective.


  4. #84
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    16,285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    Scott Cross is in his 13th season at UTA.

    Chris Beard had a great season. That was two years ago. Little Rock is 5-21.
    My point was, they went from really bad to really good In the span of 1-2 years.

  5. #85
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lafayette LA
    Posts
    8,494

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Your use of "Crapping on it" is nothing more than hyper emotional BS. All I have said is that winning 24 games means nothing if you haven't won a championship or tournament bid. That's it.
    If we go undefeated until the conference finals and lose the finals, this season is a disappointment. Period.

    Just because you schedule junior high teams all year long, doesn't mean it's extraordinary that you beat them.

    Not crapping on anything. But it's time we raised our expectations. Dominate the Sun Belt and compete nationally.

    That means getting to the NCAA tournament. OFTEN!

  6. #86
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lafayette LA
    Posts
    8,494

    Default Re: GaS runs out of gas vs ULM

    In the Sun Belt? I expect a championship (or close to it) almost every year. And I don't think that's unreasonable. In football, men's basketball, baseball, and softball, we should be demolishing this conference with the resources we have to work with.

    I refuse to dream small and live small because some fans have no vision.

    This athletics program is leaving your small dreams behind on every front, and I won't apologize for dreaming big.


  7. #87
    Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    7,391

    Default Re: GaS runs out of gas vs ULM

    Quote Originally Posted by jllanclos View Post
    If we go undefeated until the conference finals and lose the finals, this season is a disappointment. Period.

    Just because you schedule junior high teams all year long, doesn't mean it's extraordinary that you beat them.

    Not crapping on anything. But it's time we raised our expectations. Dominate the Sun Belt and compete nationally.

    That means getting to the NCAA tournament. OFTEN!
    I would adjust the goal by saying getting to either the NIT or NCAA tournament often. Anything can happen over a three day span. If we get to the NIT, that means we won the regular season title. As far as schedule goes, we will have beaten the MEAC champion in Savannah State and likely the Southland champion in Nicholls State. We will also have beaten an upper division team in the Atlantic 10 in Richmond and a middle of the pack CUSA team in La Tech. Granted, we had some disappointing losses but none were at home. I think it is unfair to say we scheduled junior high teams based upon the points I just made. I recognize the junior high comment was a bit of hyperbole but the engineer in me causes me to offer clarification. Still, dominating our league and getting to the NIT/NCAA's often is something that is a reasonable goal and expectation of this program.

  8. #88
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    698

    Default Re: GaS runs out of gas vs ULM

    Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    My point was, they went from really bad to really good In the span of 1-2 years.
    But they couldn't sustain it.

    And, for the record, Scott Cross has never taken UTA to the NCAA tournament.

  9. #89
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    9,745
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: GaS runs out of gas vs ULM

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    I would adjust the goal by saying getting to either the NIT or NCAA tournament often. Anything can happen over a three day span. If we get to the NIT, that means we won the regular season title. As far as schedule goes, we will have beaten the MEAC champion in Savannah State and likely the Southland champion in Nicholls State. We will also have beaten an upper division team in the Atlantic 10 in Richmond and a middle of the pack CUSA team in La Tech. Granted, we had some disappointing losses but none were at home. I think it is unfair to say we scheduled junior high teams based upon the points I just made. I recognize the junior high comment was a bit of hyperbole but the engineer in me causes me to offer clarification. Still, dominating our league and getting to the NIT/NCAA's often is something that is a reasonable goal and expectation of this program.
    Mike, here is my last post on this subject. We hired Coach Marlin because he was an experienced HC in D1 NCAA Basketball. We didn't hire an up and comer, we hired him because he had established himself in the SLC as a coach that won championships and earned NCAA Bids. I've given him the benefit of doubt after flipping his roster twice, and removing staff that had their own agendas. It is time for him to get the job done period, no excuses.

    I will be at the game Saturday and I will attend two games in New Orleans, hopefully the semi-final and championship game. I will be pulling for this senior class and the staff to get us to an NCAA Tournament. I want to see our MBB program achieve consistent success, eight year is enough to get the job done.

  10. #90
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    9,220

    Default Re: GaS runs out of gas vs ULM

    Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    Recruiting in Louisiana? You have to be joking. It didn't happen much in the first two years while he was re-establishing a recruting base. But when you sign Russell, Evans (not Marlin's fault he's hurt), Hardy, Washington, Stove, Wronkoski, Register, Long, Payton, you're recruiting Louisiana well. The teams we recruit against for Louisiana players (ULM, Tech, Tulane)...well, ULM and Tech have NO players from Louisiana. All of Tulane's are homegrown. Those that got away were, for the most part, academic risks.

    Lack of retention? Malcontents and guys who weren't team players. Good for Marlin. Let's face it, great chemistry is the reason we are so good.

    And, while I agree we'd like to win a few more games, we've finished in the top four of the league four of the last five years. Last year we were one win away from the #2 seed in the tournament.

    Lack of OOC wins is legit. So is the scheduling to an extent.

    But if you're hanging on the rest, you're not being fair.
    No big guy, not joking at all. At some point, you can't blame lack of player retention on some player's attitudes. They came to the university because of Marlin and they left because of him as well.

    Recruiting the state. Its not hard to look at the recruiting pool in the state year in and year out and see the number of better rated recruits that leave the state. Many of them are barely recruited by us at all.

    Top 4? Awesome. Got one of the highest paid coaches in the league, if not the highest and top 4 is truly a great barometer.

    Now, you got me talking about coaches past issues instead of talking about the great year we having.

  11. #91
    Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    7,391

    Default Re: GaS runs out of gas vs ULM

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Mike, here is my last post on this subject. We hired Coach Marlin because he was an experienced HC in D1 NCAA Basketball. We didn't hire an up and comer, we hired him because he had established himself in the SLC as a coach that won championships and earned NCAA Bids. I've given him the benefit of doubt after flipping his roster twice, and removing staff that had their own agendas. It is time for him to get the job done period, no excuses.

    I will be at the game Saturday and I will attend two games in New Orleans, hopefully the semi-final and championship game. I will be pulling for this senior class and the staff to get us to an NCAA Tournament. I want to see our MBB program achieve consistent success, eight year is enough to get the job done.
    We all want the same thing. As I said earlier, anything less than a conference title would be disappointing to all at this stage. The people who would agree with that the most are coaches and players in the program.

  12. #92
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    9,220

    Default Re: GaS runs out of gas vs ULM

    Quote Originally Posted by jllanclos View Post
    If we go undefeated until the conference finals and lose the finals, this season is a disappointment. Period.

    Just because you schedule junior high teams all year long, doesn't mean it's extraordinary that you beat them.

    Not crapping on anything. But it's time we raised our expectations. Dominate the Sun Belt and compete nationally.

    That means getting to the NCAA tournament. OFTEN!
    My judgement of the season would be somewhat different if the scenario you describe were to play out. I'd think this is a successful season to win out and lose in conference tournament finals. We'd be playing in the NIT, possibly hosting a game or two and that would still allow you to compete on a national level.

  13. #93
    Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    7,391

    Default Re: GaS runs out of gas vs ULM

    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    No big guy, not joking at all. At some point, you can't blame lack of player retention on some player's attitudes. They came to the university because of Marlin and they left because of him as well.

    Recruiting the state. Its not hard to look at the recruiting pool in the state year in and year out and see the number of better rated recruits that leave the state. Many of them are barely recruited by us at all.

    Top 4? Awesome. Got one of the highest paid coaches in the league, if not the highest and top 4 is truly a great barometer.

    Now, you got me talking about coaches past issues instead of talking about the great year we having.
    I don't think Coach Marlin is the highest paid coach in the league. I would guess that would be the UTA or UALR guy as they don't have football. To be honest, I don't know where he ranks in that comparison.

  14. #94
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    9,220

    Default Re: GaS runs out of gas vs ULM

    Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    But they couldn't sustain it.

    And, for the record, Scott Cross has never taken UTA to the NCAA tournament.
    Yes, Scott Cross has taken them to the tournament and he's making less than half of what Marlin is making. He took them in 08 and lost to Memphis.

  15. #95
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    9,220

    Default Re: GaS runs out of gas vs ULM

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    I don't think Coach Marlin is the highest paid coach in the league. I would guess that would be the UTA or UALR guy as they don't have football. To be honest, I don't know where he ranks in that comparison.
    Scott Cross makes less than half of what Marlin makes. Marlin is making on par with the St. Mary's coach and Nevada coach.

  16. #96
    VObserver's Avatar
    VObserver is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Abbeville, LA
    Posts
    5,700

    Default Re: GaS runs out of gas vs ULM

    Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    Scott Cross is in his 13th season at UTA.

    Chris Beard had a great season. That was two years ago. Little Rock is 5-21.
    And Chris Beard's Texas Tech Red Raiders (in his second year there) will very likely be the first team not named Kansas to win a Big XII regular season title in 14 years. Thanks for making the case for Marlin's critics.

  17. #97
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    16,285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    But they couldn't sustain it.

    And, for the record, Scott Cross has never taken UTA to the NCAA tournament.
    Fair enough. I'd counter with those things being different discussions but, your point is valid.

  18. #98
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    9,220

    Default Re: GaS runs out of gas vs ULM

    Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Fair enough. I'd counter with those things being different discussions but, your point is valid.
    And except for the point that Cross never got to the NCAA tourney. He has.

  19. #99
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lafayette LA
    Posts
    8,494

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Whether Bob Marlin fans want to accept it or not, the Ga St game proves Marlin haters correct, if only momentarily. Out played, out schemed, our energy-ed...
    I think this is correct. I kept thinking, we have no answer. We have no adjustment. We have no strategy to stop them. They're making wide open 3's and slam after layup after dunk with virtually no resistance, from a team that's playing their ___es off.

    Then ULM came in with a 1-2-1 zone and walked out with a win.

    Will Marlin have the foresight and humility to study the ULM game tape? We have far better athletes and can beat GaSo by 20 in New Orleans if he does.

  20. #100
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    16,285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    And except for the point that Cross never got to the NCAA tourney. He has.
    I was more focusing on the sustainability comment.

    I don't think losing in the tournament would render the season a disappointment. We still have some lofty goals that can be accomplished and playing in the NIT, while not what it once was, is still something. That would also mean we hang a league title in the dome and that's never a dissapointment.

    But I'll tell you this.. I'll be pretty let down. This roster has got to get us into the dance. It's too talented, deep and multifaceted not to. I don't think I'm out of line when I say my expectations are to dominate the SBC.. in all sports.. Especially now that our AD has come out and set that barometer publicly.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •