_ _ _ _
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: GaS runs out of gas vs ULM

Default Re: GaS runs out of gas vs ULM

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    I never called for his termination last year, nor will I call for it this year. But the same people who are calling out his doubters act like teenage drama queens when the obvious is pointed out. It's year eight and 1 NCAA appearance, $400K salary and no conference championship. Those are facts, not emotional pleas to stop talking about it. He is long overdue.
    All I personally am saying is...he's finally accomplishing something...enjoy the season and quit crapping on it...I'm not suggesting we extend contract or anything...simply stating he's accomplishing what we've all longed for... no need to downplay it..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJeaux View Post
    All I personally am saying is...he's finally accomplishing something...enjoy the season and quit crapping on it...I'm not suggesting we extend contract or anything...simply stating he's accomplishing what we've all longed for... no need to downplay it..
    Your use of "Crapping on it" is nothing more than hyper emotional BS. All I have said is that winning 24 games means nothing if you haven't won a championship or tournament bid. That's it.

Your use of "Crapping on it" is nothing more than hyper emotional BS. All I have said is that winning 24 games means nothing if you haven't won a championship or tournament bid. That's it.
    I'll agree with this post...championship and/or tournament bid...but that's not what you said in my original reply to you

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJeaux View Post
    I'll agree with this post...championship and/or tournament bid...but that's not what you said in my original reply to you
    I've said a number of things and without repeating them all are based upon his performance (win, losses, conference championships and NCAA bids) as a coach. Moving on, thanks.

Why does everyone insist on ignoring our Sun Belt division championship in 2011? Is that banner not hanging in the dome along with all our other Sun Belt division championships during the Evans era?

I think people are quick to forget the garbage program that Robert Lee left behind. Marlin inherited a team that lost to an NAIA team the year before. You don't go from that to a high level program in one or two years. This was a make or break year for Coach Marlin. Well guess what, he made it. He exceeded our expectations.

Conference championships are really damn hard to win. If that's the bar you set for your coach you'll never be satisfied. What I want to see from a coach is progress. I want to see a program that is getting better every year. That's exactly what we have right now.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    Why does everyone insist on ignoring our Sun Belt division championship in 2011? Is that banner not hanging in the dome along with all our other Sun Belt division championships during the Evans era?

I think people are quick to forget the garbage program that Robert Lee left behind. Marlin inherited a team that lost to an NAIA team the year before. You don't go from that to a high level program in one or two years. This was a make or break year for Coach Marlin. Well guess what, he made it. The future is really bright for us.

Conference championships are really damn hard to win. If that's the bar you set for your coach you'll never be satisfied. What I want to see from a coach is progress. I want to see a program that is getting better every year. That's exactly what we have right now.
    Only women's basketball gets to use that excuse (of inheriting a bad program)...

I think people are quick to forget the garbage program that Robert Lee left behind. Marlin inherited a team that lost to an NAIA team the year before. You don't go from that to a high level program in one or two years. This was a make or break year for Coach Marlin. Well guess what, he made it. He exceeded our expectations.

This! Reality. Coach Marlin had to hit the reset button a couple times... but we are finally seeing what he is building and will continue to build upon. He is doing it the RIGHT way with GOOD kids.

And props to Coach Marlin for recognizing the outstanding basketball history of this school and doing everything he can to keep that flame alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Square Head View Post
    I believe ULM can thank the Cajuns for their win.
    +1

This. I'd rather a guy who starts slow and you see progress every year vs guy who works in reverse and loses the program (see hud). Marlin has this program at a level that Cajun fans can be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin' Caleb View Post
    This. I'd rather a guy who starts slow and you see progress every year vs guy who works in reverse and loses the program (see hud). Marlin has this program at a level that Cajun fans can be proud of
    This

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin' Caleb View Post
    And for some, that won't be good enough. Amazing how the criticism ramped up when the Cajuns lost a game. And, those folks will be waiting to pounce again.

Look, both sides of this argument have their points. Everyone understands that Marlin's job was not an easy transition at first and that the program went through many shifts during his time here, some were events out of his control but others were things I think directly attributed to him and his personality and inability to connect with some of the players.

I don't think anybody is calling for his firing but people have begun to grow tired of the "Mediocrity" that has seemed to consume the program. The reasons people have had for calling out Marlin are not only extensive but they've also been around for some time and a consistent theme. I'll list some:

Lack of player retention
    Lack of recruiting, especially within the state
    Lack of top level success in conference
    Lack of success in OOC game
    OOC scheduling

Essentially, you get these results or lack thereof coupled with his high salary and people tend to see it as a very one sided deal. His salary is on par with St. Mary's and Nevada's coaches who both have nationally ranked teams. I personally feel the criticism is warranted. I also feel like this year has been a hell of a lot of fun. This team is composed and they play hard. They play kind of a wide open brand of ball that gets up and down and they score a lot of points. Its fun to watch. The transfer route paid off for Marlin this year. If this year continues to go in the direction its been headed, I'll be the first to congratulate him and the team.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Look, both sides of this argument have their points. Everyone understands that Marlin's job was not an easy transition at first and that the program went through many shifts during his time here, some were events out of his control but others were things I think directly attributed to him and his personality and inability to connect with some of the players.

I don't think anybody is calling for his firing but people have begun to grow tired of the "Mediocrity" that has seemed to consume the program. The reasons people have had for calling out Marlin are not only extensive but they've also been around for some time and a consistent theme. I'll list some:

Lack of player retention
    Lack of recruiting, especially within the state
    Lack of top level success in conference
    Lack of success in OOC game
    OOC scheduling

Essentially, you get these results or lack thereof coupled with his high salary and people tend to see it as a very one sided deal. His salary is on par with St. Mary's and Nevada's coaches who both have nationally ranked teams. I personally feel the criticism is warranted. I also feel like this year has been a hell of a lot of fun. This team is composed and they play hard. They play kind of a wide open brand of ball that gets up and down and they score a lot of points. Its fun to watch. The transfer route paid off for Marlin this year. If this year continues to go in the direction its been headed, I'll be the first to congratulate him and the team.
    Recruiting in Louisiana? You have to be joking. It didn't happen much in the first two years while he was re-establishing a recruting base. But when you sign Russell, Evans (not Marlin's fault he's hurt), Hardy, Washington, Stove, Wronkoski, Register, Long, Payton, you're recruiting Louisiana well. The teams we recruit against for Louisiana players (ULM, Tech, Tulane)...well, ULM and Tech have NO players from Louisiana. All of Tulane's are homegrown. Those that got away were, for the most part, academic risks.

Lack of retention? Malcontents and guys who weren't team players. Good for Marlin. Let's face it, great chemistry is the reason we are so good.

And, while I agree we'd like to win a few more games, we've finished in the top four of the league four of the last five years. Last year we were one win away from the #2 seed in the tournament.

Lack of OOC wins is legit. So is the scheduling to an extent.

But if you're hanging on the rest, you're not being fair.

Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Mike, in his prior seven seasons he's finished one season in third sport. He parlayed that into an NCAA bid. Other than that he's been pretty much in the middle, and never been in the semifinals.

Being average should never be a resume for renewal of contracts in MBB at UL. Unfortunately we're about to renew based on a likely outstanding season. Next year especially with the injury to Kobe isn't looking nearly so promising.
    There are two years remaining on his contract after this one. I have no idea if an extension is forthcoming. Probably no need to do so at this point. There may be something in his contract that calls for it however. One clarification, the team was in the conference semifinals in both of Shawn Long's last two years.

As I said earlier, 24 wins at this stage would be disappointing. Players and coaches agree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    And for some, that won't be good enough. Amazing how the criticism ramped up when the Cajuns lost a game. And, those folks will be waiting to pounce again.
    I criticized after the Ga St game and I promise you, I'm not waiting to pounce. I'm rooting for Bob in a big way. I've been on the fence about his ability to build and sustain a real winner, but I've never wavered on what I think of him as a man, or the quality of men he produces out of his program.

Whether Bob Marlin fans want to accept it or not, the Ga St game proves Marlin haters correct, if only momentarily. Out played, out schemed, our energy-ed...

I think CajunJeaux is correct in saying there is an evolutionary process that should be considered. It dovetails into my defending Marlin and last season as being a positive step forward. I can buy into the idea that this is the next step forward.

The deal is, he has to win with this roster. By far, the most talented team we've had here since Robert Lee's first year. This is also the worst SBC league in a looooong time. He has to win. Marlin detractors will not accept excuses if we don't make the dance.. and honestly, they shouldn't.

And btw, I get hitting the reset button. But it doesn't take 8 years to "build" a conference champion in this league. Recently, UTA and Little Rock accomplished that in essentially year 1-2 with a new coach and overhauled roster.

Division Championship was a good accomplishment in Year 1 of the Coach Marlin era. However much of the focus of this discussion is outright conference regular season title. I was reminded it basically happened in 2004 which is 14 years ago. However I believe that may have had to be vacated due to eligibility issues of a player. Therefore, it may go back to Bobby Paschal for a recognized outright regular season championship. As a result, if this group accomplishes that goal it needs to be CELEBRATED greatly. Still need to win at least four more to get there however. Let's start on Thursday. Getting ahead of Texas State is a good way to help our chances there as they won't be comfortable playing at a faster pace.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I criticized after the Ga St game and I promise you, I'm not waiting to pounce. I'm rooting for Bob in a big way. I've been on the fence about his ability to build and sustain a real winner, but I've never wavered on what I think of him as a man, or the quality of men he produces out of his program.

Whether Bob Marlin fans want to accept it or not, the Ga St game proves Marlin haters correct, if only momentarily. Out played, out schemed, our energy-ed...

I think CajunJeaux is correct in saying there is an evolutionary process that should be considered. It dovetails into my defending Marlin and last season as being a positive step forward. I can buy into the idea that this is the next step forward.

The deal is, he has to win with this roster. By far, the most talented team we've had here since Robert Lee's first year. This is also the worst SBC league in a looooong time. He has to win. Marlin detractors will not accept excuses if we don't make the dance.. and honestly, they shouldn't.

And btw, I get hitting the reset button. But it doesn't take 8 years to "build" a conference champion in this league. Recently, UTA and Little Rock accomplished that in essentially year 1-2 with a new coach and overhauled roster.
    This! And let me just add any coach that has to hit the reset button twice because he signed kids with character questions or made poor decisions hiring staff has some culpability in the results. Why is he any different than Hudspeth? He has the talent on this team to finish the season as the champion and position his team for the SBC Tournament. I like Bob Marlin the man, but it comes down to finishing the season. Anything else is just making excuses.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    Recruiting in Louisiana? You have to be joking. It didn't happen much in the first two years while he was re-establishing a recruting base. But when you sign Russell, Evans (not Marlin's fault he's hurt), Hardy, Washington, Stove, Wronkoski, Register, Long, Payton, you're recruiting Louisiana well. The teams we recruit against for Louisiana players (ULM, Tech, Tulane)...well, ULM and Tech have NO players from Louisiana. All of Tulane's are homegrown. Those that got away were, for the most part, academic risks.

Lack of retention? Malcontents and guys who weren't team players. Good for Marlin. Let's face it, great chemistry is the reason we are so good.

And, while I agree we'd like to win a few more games, we've finished in the top four of the league four of the last five years. Last year we were one win away from the #2 seed in the tournament.

Lack of OOC wins is legit. So is the scheduling to an extent.

But if you're hanging on the rest, you're not being fair.
    This ^!

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post

Scott Cross is in his 13th season at UTA.

Chris Beard had a great season. That was two years ago. Little Rock is 5-21.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast