_ _ _ _
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: GaS runs out of gas vs ULM

Default Re: MBB Preview: Louisiana at Georgia Southern

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    ULM made almost 50 percent of their threes. Simmonds is almost impossible to guard for Georgia State as he had 39. However, he did miss a FT with 10 seconds left that could have won it. Offensively the two young guards for ULM were outstanding. Some people forget that basketball is a game of matchups. Cajuns match up well against ULM but poorly against Ga. State. On the other hand ULM matches up well with the Panthers. That is actually more of a factor than coaches "owning" another guy.
    Yes Mike, this is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    No, Hunter is 9-3 against Marlin. He knows how to play Marlin. That's not an anomaly, just a nemesis.
    Listen you've beat that horse already, but these cats could have shot between their legs from behind the arc and made it. Plus balls were bouncing their way. With this team we beat them more times than not, you can argue years past they had more talent than us which is why hunter has the edge record wise

ZoomZoom is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: GaS runs out of gas vs ULM

Who would have thought ULM would be the only team sweeping the Louisiana v Georgia road swing? 2 up in loss column, just like a week ago. Order restored.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cajunfan79 View Post
    Listen you've beat that horse already, but these cats could have shot between their legs from behind the arc and made it. Plus balls were bouncing their way. With this team we beat them more times than not, you can argue years past they had more talent than us which is why hunter has the edge record wise
    And I'll beat that horse until he defeats him again in the SBC tournament. You getting tired of hearing it doesn't make it any less truthful. I'm sure you didn't want to hear UL is 2-4 against Top 150 teams this season, but that is reality and why this team isn't getting the respect many claim it should. Having a special year in the SBC is like the WBB team winning 24 games, it's not any different if you are not beating anyone in the Top 100-150. Enjoy the season, but on it's face it really doesn't mean a thing if UL doesn't make the NCAA's after winning 24 plus games. Why? Because UL has beaten anyone good.

Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

And I'll beat that horse until he defeats him again in the SBC tournament. You getting tired of hearing it doesn't make it any less truthful. I'm sure you didn't want to hear UL is 2-4 against Top 150 teams this season, but that is reality and why this team isn't getting the respect many claim it should. Having a special year in the SBC is like the WBB team winning 24 games, it's not any different if you are not beating anyone in the Top 100-150. Enjoy the season, but on it's face it really doesn't mean a thing if UL doesn't make the NCAA's after winning 24 plus games. Why? Because UL has beaten anyone good.
    I think winning the regular season title would be significant as that has not happened here in several years in one of only 2 major sports that resonates nationally. Come tournament time, anything can happen. Cajuns and Panthers may not face each other.

Blog Entries

I agree with CajunsMike on matchups along the lines of Paper covers rock, scissors cuts paper, Rock breaks scissors. But I agree with you that the GaS coach had owned Marlin.

Blog Entries

I think winning the regular season title would be significant as that has not happened here in several years in one of only 2 major sports that resonates nationally. Come tournament time, anything can happen. Cajuns and Panthers may not face each other.
    Mike, I agree it would be something to celebrate. Outside of winning the regular season championship and the SBC Tournament, without either winning 24 games plus means very little.

So you just expect our program to go from routinely 3rd-4th place finishes in the SBC...to winning the conference outright all the while beating all of the best teams on our schedule to gain your respect?.... there's no steps along the way to improving year to year that will justify having a great season?...wow...

For years people crapped over our team bc we weren't building a solid foundation...just getting "lucky" by getting hot in March one time...now...we're dominating the conference we're in...and it's still not good enough...I understand the end goal should be beating the best...but geez...can we finish the first season in which we meet the goal ALL wanted to accomplish (conf champion)before raising the bar for the next goal??

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJeaux View Post
    So you just expect our program to go from routinely 3rd-4th place finishes in the SBC...to winning the conference outright all the while beating all of the best teams on our schedule to gain your respect?.... there's no steps along the way to improving year to year that will justify having a great season?...wow...

To win my respect no! To win the respect of the media and college basketball fans around the country? Yes! How we as Cajun fans view our accomplishments, whine or complain about the lack of recognition of the current team's season, is irrelevant to all outside of this board that are not fans or supporters. You are measured by your quality wins and NCAA Tournament appearances. To my knowledge this has never changed.

For years people crapped over our team bc we weren't building a solid foundation...just getting "lucky" by getting hot in March one time...now...we're dominating the conference we're in...and it's still not good enough...I understand the end goal should be beating the best...but geez...can we finish the first season in which we meet the goal ALL wanted to accomplish (conf champion)before raising the bar for the next goal??

No, people crapped over our team bc as you stated and which seems to be acceptable to you, our program routinely finished 3rd-4th place finishes in the SBC. And, some season's were worse than that. After 8 years and $400K, I expect more from Coach Marlin. The bar was raised when he was given the raise for 1 NCAA appearance and recruited above his current talent. The "next goal" as you state, has always been "The Goal". Unfortunately you settled for 3rd-4th place finishes instead of something better.

Yes, I'm happy for the team and fans that we have won 21 games, but doesn't change the fact that we haven't won anything yet and the college basketball world outside this board cares little about that accomplishment up until this point. And yes, until Marlin can win one outright title and another SBC Tournament Championship for an NCAA bid, I won't think too much of his accomplishments here at UL.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJeaux View Post

This should be a yearly goal and glad to see us dominating this year. some wanted to fire marlin last year. Just goes to show you....

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin' Caleb View Post
    This should be a yearly goal and glad to see us dominating this year. some wanted to fire marlin last year. Just goes to show you....
    Pretty sure some still want to fire Marlin. If we stub our toe, those posters will be back with a vengeance.

Mike, I agree it would be something to celebrate. Outside of winning the regular season championship and the SBC Tournament, without either winning 24 games plus means very little.
    Winning 24 would mean a 3 and 3 finish. That would be disappointing at this point. I guarantee coaches and players agree with that view. Georgia State may win out at this stage as the ULM game was likely a wake up call. At most they lose one more. That means we need to go at least 4 and 2 in the remaining games and may need to go 5 and 1. 5 and 1 will get us the outright conference title we all desperately crave. I don't recall the last time that happened in one of the two major sports that resonate nationally. I don't think it has happened in football since the 60's. It may have happened in the Jessie Evans years in basketball but I am not certain of that. I am sure the possibility of hanging that banner will keep our guys hungry for the remaining games.

Georgia State doesn't have an easy road. They go to Georgia Southern on Friday (ESPN2) and still have to go to Texas.

We have two tough home games this week. But if we win them both, we'll be the champions.

In 2004, the Cajuns won the West. The league did not crown an overall champion. But we were the overall #1 seed and won each game in the tournament by double digits.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin4U View Post
    Pretty sure some still want to fire Marlin. If we stub our toe, those posters will be back with a vengeance.
    Dr. Maggard thinks very highly of Coach Marlin and his is the opinion that counts. For that matter, I don't think anyone wants to fire Coach Marlin. We all want the schedule to improve but that won't happen unless we go to virtually all road games in non conference. The staff does not want to do that so unlikely things change much in that regard and I believe Dr. Maggard is OK with that. We will play a few more money games in the future from what I understand. I bet we go from two of those per year to three. We will also continue to try to get invites into the exempt tournaments which gives you a neutral court chance against a major foe. It is unfortunate that some of the schools we hoped to help our RPI like Iowa and Richmond are having down years. Richmond does have a winning record in the Atlantic 10 which is a highly regarded mid major league. Keep in mind that RPI is heavily schedule based. Many of the teams we beat in non conference get no home games against major schools and play many challenging road games which knocks their RPI down. Note Savannah State is leading the MEAC while Southeastern, UNO, and Nicholls are near the top of the SLC. RPI can be misleading as to the quality of your team both in the negative and positive direction because of the reliance on schedule. I will say it is probably fairly accurate in assessing our team this season.

Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    Georgia State doesn't have an easy road. They go to Georgia Southern on Friday (ESPN2) and still have to go to Texas.

We have two tough home games this week. But if we win them both, we'll be the champions.

In 2004, the Cajuns won the West. The league did not crown an overall champion. But we were the overall #1 seed and won each game in the tournament by double digits.
    Let's count 2004 as the last year we won an outright title then. That is 18 years ago which is way too long for this program. Accomplishing that in 2018 would be a reason to celebrate and we should make a big deal of it if it does occur. Like talktomewillis just said, some tough games remain. However, I bet the people in the program recognize that and will prepare accordingly.

CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

UL Basketball Re: GaS runs out of gas vs ULM

Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post

I'd call that regular number one and tournament champs by any measure, conference champions.

BeauCajun is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Actually 14 years, but at this point who's counting? I feel we win out the regular season.

CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Dr. Maggard thinks very highly of Coach Marlin and his is the opinion that counts. For that matter, I don't think anyone wants to fire Coach Marlin. We all want the schedule to improve but that won't happen unless we go to virtually all road games in non conference. The staff does not want to do that so unlikely things change much in that regard and I believe Dr. Maggard is OK with that. We will play a few more money games in the future from what I understand. I bet we go from two of those per year to three. We will also continue to try to get invites into the exempt tournaments which gives you a neutral court chance against a major foe. It is unfortunate that some of the schools we hoped to help our RPI like Iowa and Richmond are having down years. Richmond does have a winning record in the Atlantic 10 which is a highly regarded mid major league. Keep in mind that RPI is heavily schedule based. Many of the teams we beat in non conference get no home games against major schools and play many challenging road games which knocks their RPI down. Note Savannah State is leading the MEAC while Southeastern, UNO, and Nicholls are near the top of the SLC. RPI can be misleading as to the quality of your team both in the negative and positive direction because of the reliance on schedule. I will say it is probably fairly accurate in assessing our team this season.
    Mike, in his prior seven seasons he's finished one season in third sport. He parlayed that into an NCAA bid. Other than that he's been pretty much in the middle, and never been in the semifinals.

Being average should never be a resume for renewal of contracts in MBB at UL. Unfortunately we're about to renew based on a likely outstanding season. Next year especially with the injury to Kobe isn't looking nearly so promising.

Quote Originally Posted by BeauCajun View Post
    Actually 14 years, but at this point who's counting? I feel we win out the regular season.
    I think you are right. Toughest game should be @ South Alabama. Ga State lost there and they tend to give us a hard time in Mobile.

I do think Ga State loses at least one more down the stretch... @ Ga Southern, @ Texas State and @ UTA are all candidates.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin4U View Post
    I never called for his termination last year, nor will I call for it this year. But the same people who are calling out his doubters act like teenage drama queens when the obvious is pointed out. It's year eight and 1 NCAA appearance, $400K salary and no conference championship. Those are facts, not emotional pleas to stop talking about it. He is long overdue.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast