_ _ _ _
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 427

Thread: 2018 verbal commitments

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    922

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Louisiana, duh
    Posts
    15,215

    Default Re: 2018 verbal commitments


  3. #43
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Lafayette,LA
    Posts
    4,241

    Default Re: 2018 verbal commitments

    If anyone can't respect Magee's stance on this they need to get over themselves. Wish the kid the very best and hope he makes the best decision possible for himself.


  4. #44
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    4,389

    Default Re: 2018 verbal commitments

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Buds View Post
    If anyone can't respect Magee's stance on this they need to get over themselves. Wish the kid the very best and hope he makes the best decision possible for himself.
    Its the nature of the beast I will be disappointed if he signs elsewhere but its a business discussion and wont fault the kid

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    lafayette
    Posts
    11,624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Buds View Post
    If anyone can't respect Magee's stance on this they need to get over themselves. Wish the kid the very best and hope he makes the best decision possible for himself.
    Getting tired of this over use of respect by 17 year olds. Maybe they should respect their own decisions and others will. He said the exact same ___ a week earlier About respecting his decision to commit to us. Respect is always something earned not given. Probably another life lesson a majority of the young men aren't taught.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    9,756
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: 2018 verbal commitments

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Buds View Post
    If anyone can't respect Magee's stance on this they need to get over themselves. Wish the kid the very best and hope he makes the best decision possible for himself.
    McGee is a typical HS athlete, I have no problem with his decision. But when an athlete visits, texting other offers while you are on campus is usually a red flag. The other thing that struck me was his comments concerning his decision on which college to continue his career the next two years, not four? He clearly has been told going out to Colorado State and playing a few years should be enough to get him looks by the NFL. If that is true, he's been given bad advice because you rarely hear of a DB leaving early from a G5 school getting drafted.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    4,389

    Default Re: 2018 verbal commitments

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    McGee is a typical HS athlete, I have no problem with his decision. But when an athlete visits, texting other offers while you are on campus is usually a red flag. The other thing that struck me was his comments concerning his decision on which college to continue his career the next two years, not four? He clearly has been told going out to Colorado State and playing a few years should be enough to get him looks by the NFL. If that is true, he's been given bad advice because you rarely hear of a DB leaving early from a G5 school getting drafted.
    Please ULM has one .. 1st round baby !

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    9,756
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: 2018 verbal commitments

    Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    Please ULM has one .. 1st round baby !
    I said rarely. If he was that talented, he would have a P5 offer on the table right now.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    4,389

    Default Re: 2018 verbal commitments

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    Getting tired of this over use of respect by 17-year-olds. Maybe they should respect their own decisions and others will. He said the same ___ a week earlier About respecting his decision to commit to us. Respect is always something earned not given. Probably another life lesson a majority of the young men aren't taught.
    Its just as much fault on the Coaches/family as the Players .. these guys are 17 and Coaches/ family are feeding them BS 24-7 about how if they come here we guarantee you a spot in the NFL ..

    An example I worked with a guy who had a family member playing at VC .. You swear this kid was going pro right out of high school (he was slightly above average for 1 A). I told him should take the Louisiana college offer & you could swear I cursed his mother said I was an idiot and would send me a jersey when he went pro after Les Miles finally came to his sense and offered him .. Guy tried walking onto a JUCO in Kansas and never took a snap

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    4,389

    Default Re: 2018 verbal commitments

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    I said rarely. If he was that talented, he would have a P5 offer on the table right now.
    I was joking but that's the mind set of at least 70% of the players

  11. #51
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Cajun Country
    Posts
    543

    Default Re: 2018 verbal commitments

    Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    Its just as much fault on the Coaches/family as the Players .. these guys are 17 and Coaches/ family are feeding them BS 24-7 about how if they come here we guarantee you a spot in the NFL ..

    An example I worked with a guy who had a family member playing at VC .. You swear this kid was going pro right out of high school (he was slightly above average for 1 A). I told him should take the Louisiana college offer you could swear I cursed his mother said i was an idiot and would send me a jersey when he went pro .. Guy tried walking onto a JUCO in Kansas and never took a snap
    When emotion is involved, reality usually goes out the window.

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    lafayette
    Posts
    11,624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    Its just as much fault on the Coaches/family as the Players .. these guys are 17 and Coaches/ family are feeding them BS 24-7 about how if they come here we guarantee you a spot in the NFL ..

    An example I worked with a guy who had a family member playing at VC .. You swear this kid was going pro right out of high school (he was slightly above average for 1 A). I told him should take the Louisiana college offer & you could swear I cursed his mother said I was an idiot and would send me a jersey when he went pro after Les Miles finally came to his sense and offered him .. Guy tried walking onto a JUCO in Kansas and never took a snap
    A lot of people at fault for this.

  13. #53
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    9,756
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: 2018 verbal commitments

    Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    Its just as much fault on the Coaches/family as the Players .. these guys are 17 and Coaches/ family are feeding them BS 24-7 about how if they come here we guarantee you a spot in the NFL ..

    An example I worked with a guy who had a family member playing at VC .. You swear this kid was going pro right out of high school (he was slightly above average for 1 A). I told him should take the Louisiana college offer & you could swear I cursed his mother said I was an idiot and would send me a jersey when he went pro after Les Miles finally came to his sense and offered him .. Guy tried walking onto a JUCO in Kansas and never took a snap
    This is the one thing I don't miss about covering camps. Too many parents live their lives through their son's playing football in hopes that NFL payday will come. I always told athletes that if they had offers from FBS, FCS and D2 programs they were fortunate to get a free college education and play the game they love. Only a small percentage of high school athletes play college football and they should take advantage of those opportunities. As you said, some parents or even athletes were insulted that they were not offered or may not get an offer other than lower level programs.

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,364

    Default Re: 2018 verbal commitments

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    This is the one thing I don't miss about covering camps. Too many parents live their lives through their son's playing football in hopes that NFL payday will come. I always told athletes that if they had offers from FBS, FCS and D2 programs they were fortunate to get a free college education and play the game they love. Only a small percentage of high school athletes play college football and they should take advantage of those opportunities. As you said, some parents or even athletes were insulted that they were not offered or may not get an offer other than lower level programs.
    Didn't we have a regular poster here once who fit this description? Trying to remember his name. At some point he fell off the Cajun bandwagon though.

  15. #55
    DieHard1280's Avatar
    DieHard1280 is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Harker Heights, TX
    Posts
    5,049

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    Didn't we have a regular poster here once who fit this description? Trying to remember his name. At some point he fell off the Cajun bandwagon though.
    BWK

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Lafayette,LA
    Posts
    4,241

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    McGee is a typical HS athlete, I have no problem with his decision. But when an athlete visits, texting other offers while you are on campus is usually a red flag. The other thing that struck me was his comments concerning his decision on which college to continue his career the next two years, not four? He clearly has been told going out to Colorado State and playing a few years should be enough to get him looks by the NFL. If that is true, he's been given bad advice because you rarely hear of a DB leaving early from a G5 school getting drafted.
    I didn't realize the part about him texting/tweeting other offers while on campus. That is a tad in bad taste. Regardless I won't be upset with whatever he chooses. When I was 17 my toughest decision was vodka or beer...the blond or the brunette.

  17. #57
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,958

    Default Re: 2018 verbal commitments

    How many high school first team all district kids end up playing kick coverage in the SEC?

    Instead of actually playing at a smaller school?


  18. #58
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,364

    Default Re: 2018 verbal commitments

    Quote Originally Posted by anhil8tor View Post
    How many high school first team all district kids end up playing kick coverage in the SEC?

    Instead of actually playing at a smaller school?
    I've thought about this and obviously a lot of kids would be better off playing at a G5 and actually playing. But then you want kids who believe in themselves and have confidence. If professional coaches have trouble identifying which kids to go after, imagine how hard it is for a kid to decide if he should "play down" or chase his bigger dream. Has to be a tough call for many.

  19. #59
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    700

    Default Re: 2018 verbal commitments

    When did "de-commit" become a word.

    Commitment by itself is self explanatory.


  20. #60
    CajunEXPRESS's Avatar
    CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    14,272

    Default Re: 2018 verbal commitments

    Actually don't have a problem with a kid giving notice he's no longer committed. It's a bit hypocritical for those same players being upset if they're bumped for a more appealing prospect.


Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •