_ _ _ _
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast

Thread: 2018 verbal commitments

cajun4life is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    We know Napier was behind the 8 ball with this year's class. Last coach wrecked relationships with many HS staffs. The early signing period really threw a monkey wrench into things. He only had a few weeks to build a staff to try and piece together a decent signing class.

All of us should have seen this coming. To expect an eye popping class this season was really wishful thinking. Now, I fully expect this staff to absolutely crush the next class.

Just to give you guys an idea of where we need to go, these are 24/7 class rankings of certain regional foes.

#66 Tulane. (20) 3-stars
    #73 Houston. (19) 3-stars
    #76 Louisiana Tech. (16) 3-stars
    #81 Southern Miss. (19) 3-stars
    #85 UTSA. (16) 3-stars
    #86 Memphis. (16) 3-stars
    #88 Arkansas State. (14) 3-stars
    #89 SMU. (15) 3-stars

#125 Louisiana. (4) 3-stars
    IMO in order for us to become successful and maintain it we need to land 2 or 3 of the top 40 rated players within Louisiana. And land 10 or more of the next 35 rated players.

That's 10-13 three star kids from Louisiana. Then throw in another 5 or 6 three star kids from the south. That's where we need to be recruiting wise. I think this staff will get there next season. With a full year of recruiting and the early signing period.

Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.

Default Re: 2018 verbal commitments

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Not to disparage those rankings, they are meaningless at the G5 level. Example is that one of our staff members heavily involved in our recruiting decisions thinks Moncrief is the best player in the class. He is a 2 star guy and some of his other offers were FBS schools. Note I would say the same were we ranked higher.
    I hate when Stevie P says this, but it applies here. Large sample size.

Citing 1 or 2 exceptions to the star system does not negate a double digit disparity in 3 star recruits between us and the schools I mentioned. That gap MUST be closed.

Ask Rickey Bustle how coaching up a bunch of 2 star recruits worked out for him.

basinbear is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Citing 1 or 2 exceptions to the star system does not negate a double digit disparity in 3 star recruits between us and the schools I mentioned. That gap MUST be closed.

Ask Rickey Bustle how coaching up a bunch of 2 star recruits worked out for him.
    There are far more than 1 or two exceptions....

I agree, the double digit disparity is discouraging, even knowing the issues the current staff faced. We should always be in the hunt for the same players as those schools.

Anyone who thinks we're just going to up and kill recruiting and be second in state next year is kidding themselves. It will take time.

I can take my vermillion colored glasses and realize both Tulane and La Tech have a lot to offer recruits right now.

Tulane finally has a competent coach and is in the AAC. La tech is rolling with 4 straight bowl wins and is tied 1st in g5 schools with the number of players drafted over the past 5 years. We have an uphill challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragincajun07 View Post
    I agree, the double digit disparity is discouraging, even knowing the issues the current staff faced. We should always be in the hunt for the same players as those schools.

Anyone who thinks we're just going to up and kill recruiting and be second in state next year is kidding themselves. It will take time.

I can take my vermillion colored glasses and realize both Tulane and La Tech have a lot to offer recruits right now.

Tulane finally has a competent coach and is in the AAC. La tech is rolling with 4 straight bowl wins and is tied 1st in g5 schools with the number of players drafted over the past 5 years. We have an uphill challenge.
    LA Tech can also point to four or five recent draft picks over the last two to three years that are doing very well in NFL.

We got Elijah.....thats it.

Elijah was a highly-ranked recruit. highly-ranked recruits are usually a direct reflection of NFL drafts

When Napier took over we had like 4 commits, a couple of which we dropped. A few weeks later early signing period happened taking many off the board. He then built a staff, AND recruited several guys who fill very specific needs. We only signed 15 or so, so the overall score is meaningless. Our average recruit rating puts us in the middle of the sunbelt. Not where we want to be long term, but as much as we could expect given the above limitations. We will bring in a few more guys, fill some more holes and then see if our well paid coaches can coach.

We lost two players to P5s at the last moment and another to the Lane Kiffen crazy express. So on the whim of 3 KIDS we went from a great class to so-so. And he put this all together in 6 weeks or so. We are on the right track.

Now my expectations for the next class will be much higher.

Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    When Napier took over we had like 4 commits, a couple of which we dropped. A few weeks later early signing period happened taking many off the board. He then built a staff, AND recruited several guys who fill very specific needs. We only signed 15 or so, so the overall score is meaningless. Our average recruit rating puts us in the middle of the sunbelt. Not where we want to be long term, but as much as we could expect given the above limitations. We will bring in a few more guys, fill some more holes and then see if our well paid coaches can coach.

We lost two players to P5s at the last moment and another to the Lane Kiffen crazy express. So on the whim of 3 KIDS we went from a great class to so-so. And he put this all together in 6 weeks or so. We are on the right track.

Now my expectations for the next class will be much higher.
    And he did most of that with very little staff. He didn't have a full compliment of coaches for most of the 50 days of recruiting.

CajunAmos is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

How many of those signed in the early signing period?

Quote Originally Posted by lifetimecajun View Post
    And he did most of that with very little staff. He didn't have a full compliment of coaches for most of the 50 days of recruiting.
    We were facing an absolute disaster of a recruiting class, like an all time bad one, before Hud was fired. Napier worked a damn minor miracle to get what we got and even have a chance for the three guys we lost. What he was able to do will keep us in the game. Next years class will (needs to be) the big splash.

The man was hired to build a program...he wasn't hired to swing for the fence in 2018

Clutch0364 is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Ask Hud what happened after he lost Bustles 2 star recruits...

Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.

We were facing an absolute disaster of a recruiting class, like an all time bad one, before Hud was fired. Napier worked a damn minor miracle to get what we got and even have a chance for the three guys we lost. What he was able to do will keep us in the game. Next years class will (needs to be) the big splash.
    Correct. All of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364 View Post
    Ask Hud what happened after he lost Bustles 2 star recruits...
    He had to deal with his 3 stars that couldn't qualify.

Blog Entries

He had to deal without his 3 stars that couldn't qualify.
    Fixed it for you Hawk

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    And HUDs first recruiting class was pretty stout, although he did cheat
    Cool your jets...Hud didn't cheat until the class of '12.

We know Napier was behind the 8 ball with this year's class. Last coach wrecked relationships with many HS staffs. The early signing period really threw a monkey wrench into things. He only had a few weeks to build a staff to try and piece together a decent signing class.

All of us should have seen this coming. To expect an eye popping class this season was really wishful thinking. Now, I fully expect this staff to absolutely crush the next class.

Just to give you guys an idea of where we need to go, these are 24/7 class rankings of certain regional foes.

#66 Tulane. (20) 3-stars
    #73 Houston. (19) 3-stars
    #76 Louisiana Tech. (16) 3-stars
    #81 Southern Miss. (19) 3-stars
    #85 UTSA. (16) 3-stars
    #86 Memphis. (16) 3-stars
    #88 Arkansas State. (14) 3-stars
    #89 SMU. (15) 3-stars

#125 Louisiana. (4) 3-stars
    Best post of this entire thread and it is right on the money.

We all understand the tough situation that our new coaching staff faced in putting together a signing class this year. Now it is imperative that everyone also understand just how important it is for us to regain our competitiveness in recruiting against the regional rivals CajunNation listed. Recognizing that our program has taken a step backward is the first step in turning it around.

It's plain see that we got whipped badly this year in recruiting. This is something that the new coaching staff can certainly overcome.

Blog Entries

Coaches (and by "coaches" I mean fans also) need to remember a 2-star athlete from Louisiana would be a 3-star athlete in any other State.

The quality of the HS opponent is greater in Louisiana than any other State.

The same numbers don't mean the same thing.

Individual accomplishments mean more in Louisiana. They faced better competition.

1=2
    2=3
    3=4
    4=5
    5=ready for the NFL.

Louisiana has more NFL players per capita than any other state.

Don't just look at raw numbers when evaluating recruits.

Recruit Louisiana First.

basinbear is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

We had 18 schollys to offer and I believe we signed 14....we missed out on 3 big time Defensive Tackles and a Offensive Left tackle. We have signed a very capable group of prospects and filled out critical needs on the defensive edge and at linebacker...stay tuned because they are not done for this year.

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Not that other posts aren't relevant or accurate... but your post sums things up best. We absolutely cannot overlook the decline we were in under Hud... and somehow compare our status to others that are on the rise. We hired Napier to BEGIN our move. We cannot and could not expect better from him and his staff in this recruiting cycle. Above that, let's not get sucked into the BS belief that a recruiting class ranking just defined our future. It takes successive classes of the right athletes, skill AND character, to establish a better program. We hired a really good coach and staff, and that is going to improve our program... one minute at a time.

cajun4life is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by basinbear View Post
    We had 18 schollys to offer and I believe we signed 14....we missed out on 3 big time Defensive Tackles and a Offensive Left tackle. We have signed a very capable group of prospects and filled out critical needs on the defensive edge and at linebacker...stay tuned because they are not done for this year.
    Yup! This class is very solid. We missed on some pieces that would have put this class over the top. But it's still a really good class.

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11 17 18 19 20 21 22 LastLast