Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Media rights

Default Re: Media rights

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunfanatico View Post
    I agree with that, though he does have me checking my internet connection from time to time.
    Are you talking about baseball? There is going to be some dead air with one man doing a baseball game. It's impossible for him to speak the entire time.

Blog Entries

ok. What does this mean in layman's terms. 1420 will no longer carry UL games or will we produce our own or will 103.7 carry our games???

While everyone things about this in terms of radio, Learfield will hold the rights for all media. Learfield will direct any future video production, whether it simply be the stream we get now, or television production in the future.

They will control all signage around the venues, including wall signs.

What will make this big is, because of their relationship with other universities (about 200 of them) they will be able to get dollars from national companies by making UL part of a package deal with other schools.

As far as radio is concerned, Learfield will decide which stations carry which games after they cut a deal with the company involved. As a private company, they will not be required to bid it out.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    While everyone things about this in terms of radio, Learfield will hold the rights for all media. Learfield will direct any future video production, whether it simply be the stream we get now, or television production in the future.

They will control all signage around the venues, including wall signs.

What will make this big is, because of their relationship with other universities (about 200 of them) they will be able to get dollars from national companies by making UL part of a package deal with other schools.

As far as radio is concerned, Learfield will decide which stations carry which games after they cut a deal with the company involved. As a private company, they will not be required to bid it out.
    so its possible 1420 might carry baseball and 103.7 football or vice versa. Who ever pays us $$$ wins each event

Blog Entries

I hope Jay stays at the helm.

RaginScotsman is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunfanatico View Post
    What a bummer. KPEL was just about to get those mic problems resolved.
    I heard My KLFY (or whatever was on channel 13) was going to try to broadcast baseball games in standard definition. That would have been nice. You may have actually been able to see the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by angeleast View Post
    so its possible 1420 might carry baseball and 103.7 football or vice versa. Who ever pays us $$$ wins each event
    I suppose that could happen. But if I'm Learfield, I just want to deal with one company. We'll see. Depends on the terms of the contract with UL, I would think.

Learfield/IMGare the world leaders in all things marketing and communications rights...this is not a small time operation. Multi media/platform rights is what they do for many of the biggest and best..for years, learfield was the marketing arm for UNC athletics, that's how they got their start...stop thinking small time, this outfit knows what its doing, instead of getting upset about small time radio outlets and even smaller time announcers, its time to get excited about the future of all things related to the multitude of opportunities that Learfield will bring to UL. athletics! Maybe they bring back Don Allen, who knows, but if its not better than what is being done now, why hire a company with the stroke of Lierfield? Read the Alden Report, between the lines, its saying to get as far away from companies like Town square as possible...

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    Learfield/IMGare the world leaders in all things marketing and communications rights...this is not a small time operation. Multi media/platform rights is what they do for many of the biggest and best..for years, learfield was the marketing arm for UNC athletics, that's how they got their start...stop thinking small time, this outfit knows what its doing, instead of getting upset about small time radio outlets and even smaller time announcers, its time to get excited about the future of all things related to the multitude of opportunities that Learfield will bring to UL. athletics! Maybe they bring back Don Allen, who knows, but if its not better than what is being done now, why hire a company with the stroke of Lierfield? Read the Alden Report, between the lines, its saying to get as far away from companies like Town square as possible...
    The more we move away from the Scotty era the more you see how small time we really were .. we were a half step away from the southland

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    The more we move away from the Scotty era the more you see how small time we really were .. we were a half step away from the southland
    But they are also hiring someone for Mcneese?

Things that make you go Hmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawfish View Post
    But they are also hiring someone for Mcneese?

Things that make you go Hmmmm.
    WTF does that have to do with anything concerning UL? Learfield does that for schools across the country...stop with the f'n small time thinking

CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Crawfish View Post
    I guess I just do not understand what is going on. Does anyone know what this means to fans? Will all of the sports still be broadcast on radio and internet?

When I click on that link, it is unreadable.
    Worked for me Fish. Basically it's looking for employees to market UL athletics. What that means, I don't know.

Ive been able to speak to a few different people involved in this. I know learfield reps have spoken to management at TS. I am confident the voice of the Ragin Cajuns will remain in place, and regardless of your (everyone, not you 71) personal opinion of the guy, that's great news for our fan base. Jay is a pro, he calls a great game (regardless of sport) and he is a true Cajuns fan.

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    Are you talking about baseball? There is going to be some dead air with one man doing a baseball game. It's impossible for him to speak the entire time.
    Basketball.

WTF does that have to do with anything concerning UL? Learfield does that for schools across the country...stop with the f'n small time thinking
    I was replying to the irony of the comment Lannister made ".. we were a half step away from the southland "

I just think it that comment is kind of funny since we are apparently doing the same thing as McNeese.

I admitted earlier that I do not know what this means, I hope it is a good thing. But some of you people think you are so much more in the know than us peasants and we should not even be asking questions.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Worked for me Fish. Basically it's looking for employees to market UL athletics. What that means, I don't know.
    For some reason, when I clicked on it, it showed like two articles, one overlaying the other so you could not read either. but I could see the ads for employees. But I do not normally use twitter so that may be the reason.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Ive been able to speak to a few different people involved in this. I know learfield reps have spoken to management at TS. I am confident the voice of the Ragin Cajuns will remain in place, and regardless of your (everyone, not you 71) personal opinion of the guy, that's great news for our fan base. Jay is a pro, he calls a great game (regardless of sport) and he is a true Cajuns fan.
    I agree. I cant imagine a world in which Jay Walker does not call Cajuns baseball. He is the best there is and his knowledge of baseball history adds to the broadcast. I have no bones with Jay from the Scott Farmer era as the past is the past and everyone has tuned into the here and now/ future. I say keep jay with whoever does our broadcasting .

You think so?

Let's do some math.

12-13 football games
    31-34 men's basketball games
    25-28 women's basketball games
    56-65 women's softball games
    56-65 baseball games

That's 180-205 live sporting events per year.

I'm guessing we can't find a school in a non P-5 conference that carries that many events. In fact, I'd bet there are a lot of P-5s that don't come close to that.

Can those guys at TS do better in some regards? Sure. But if you're ready to dump them, you better be certain you're getting something better.

My understanding is Don is not in very good health. He's in his 70's now.

Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    My understanding is Don is not in very good health. He's in his 70's now.
    And he's part of the softball cult...no thanks.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast