_ _ _ _
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Rebounders Meeting Notes

Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Rebounders Meeting Notes

1) Team is playing with a lot of confidence. Next man up philosophy being used and not a lot of time is being spent on Gant's absence.
    2) Regarding Gant's injury-Trainers have instructed coaches not to speculate on when Gant may be back. Only thing they can say publicly on that is it should be "relatively soon". They did not define "soon".
    3) Free throws and free throw shooting is main stat being focused on right now. Team goal is to get in bonus and double bonus faster than opponent. Of course you have to make them for that to work. Surprised to learn that in conference games, Bryce Washington is shooting a higher % than Frank Bartley. Frank has been reminded of this.
    4) New floor in practice facility will be completed this week. It would be nice if somebody would get the naming rights to it. Of course that would require a donation.
    5) Over 50 ex players and staff members are expected at the reunion this weekend. In the past basketball staff or Rebounders leaders would handle all the logistics of this. That is not necessary this time as athletic administration is handling these issues now. I think that is significant as basketball can focus on game preparation.
    6) Focus on increased support is on students now as they are back in school today. In fact bus service from dorms right to Cajun Dome is being considered. In the past they would be dropped off at Cajun Field. Door to Door Service should be hard to pass up.

Default Re: Rebounders Meeting Notes

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    6) Focus on increased support is on students now as they are back in school today. In fact bus service from dorms right to Cajun Dome is being considered. In the past they would be dropped off at Cajun Field. Door to Door Service should be hard to pass up.
    That is fantastic small things like that build the fanbase 10 fold

Need to pick up students at the edge , campus crossings and the quarters as well

cajun4life is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

There is absolutely no reason we shouldn't be averaging around 7,000 per game. I know it's never gonna happen, but and 8000-8500 seat arena where Blackham sits would be perfect for us. Sold out games or near sellouts are a lot more exciting for the players and fans alike.

Blog Entries

New floor in practice facility will be completed this week. It would be nice if somebody would get the naming rights to it. Of course that would require a donation.
    I'm scared that some of the recent success has been from not practicing on a less than regulation (end walls) sized court. I hope my fears are unfounded.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    There is absolutely no reason we shouldn't be averaging around 7,000 per game. I know it's never gonna happen, but and 8000-8500 seat arena where Blackham sits would be perfect for us. Sold out games or near sellouts are a lot more exciting for the players and fans alike.
    i would love to see 7,000 per game and if we were to put that in the cajundome as opposed to an 800-8500 seat arena, i dont think there would be much of a difference with the new cajundome set up, it would look packed and it would be LOUD

CajunAmos is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

I don't ever see us spending $50M-$100M dollars on a facility to replace Blackham. I think the land would be better served for either the permanent basketball practice facility (rather than taking up parking lot space near Cajun Field) or additional student housing which would put them much closer to the games. JMO

Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Couple of other points I remembered which are OK to share.

1) ULM is playing at a faster pace than in the past and also shooting more threes. Of course it is an unknown if they will continue to do that come Saturday
    2) Elijah McCoy and Cedric Russell were player guests. Both freshman spoke to the group and appear to be well grounded young men.

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxCajuns View Post
    i would love to see 7,000 per game and if we were to put that in the cajundome as opposed to an 800-8500 seat arena, i dont think there would be much of a difference with the new cajundome set up, it would look packed and it would be LOUD
    Exactly. First of all, when there is ~5K in the Cajundome it is a HUGE difference from a 2-3K crowd. If....nay, when....we get 7K in there it will be LOUD as hell. We don't need another facility, we just need to get folks to the great one we already have.
    Besides which, and as we have discussed numerous time before, the Blackham site will be used for academic expansion, not sports.

CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

He was just wishing

Dorm to Dome!
    Let's do it.

Blog Entries

The entire Blackham Coliseum acreage through to Cajun dome and up the the St Streets in back all needs to be a second Dorm area. Build a modern Urban area with dorms 8-15 stories high complete with 1st floor shops/cafe's, ample multiple floor garage parking hidden in back. You could design an upperclass Urban based neigborhood for 10k student easily if done right. Just come here to Plano to see how it's done.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IberiaCajun View Post
    Dorm to Dome!
    Let's do it.
    Love it.

70ish years ago UL use to bus students to away games.

Those students grew up and it gave birth to alumni bus trips.

cajun4life is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Policarp View Post
    The entire Blackham Coliseum acreage through to Cajun dome and up the the St Streets in back all needs to be a second Dorm area. Build a modern Urban area with dorms 8-15 stories high complete with 1st floor shops/cafe's, ample multiple floor garage parking hidden in back. You could design an upperclass Urban based neigborhood for 10k student easily if done right. Just come here to Plano to see how it's done.
    The problem with that is we do not have the classroom or faculty infrastructure to support 10K worth of students on campus.

Now if we were to take the Research Park and build new upper division level buildings and move towards two separate campuses then that may work. It would also enable us to rapidly grow in enrollment.

Quote Originally Posted by IberiaCajun View Post
    Dorm to Dome!
    Let's do it.
    That's a really great slogan, to match a really great idea......I hope they promote that to the hilt and really get some students into the dome!

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxCajuns View Post
    That would be great with the only exception being its not a very realistic number. I guess that's the only reason.

The problem with that is we do not have the classroom or faculty infrastructure to support 10K worth of students on campus.

Now if we were to take the Research Park and build new upper division level buildings and move towards two separate campuses then that may work. It would also enable us to rapidly grow in enrollment.
    Correct: we are at capacity now on the main campus, and could not support such an increase in attendees without increasing academic buildings.

FWIW, the master plan calls for much of that academic expansion to take place on the OLOL property, and also in the current Blackham location. Specifically, I think they will move all health science studies there, and we could then expand everything else on the main campus.

They will extend St Landry all the way to Cajundome Blvd and both below and adjacent to it will include academic space and also some faculty/grad student housing. Further above this extension (across from Bourgeois Hall) will be a green space (which will include a natural amphitheater) with the newly built and greatly improved intramural fields across Coliseum Rd.

Also, all the maintenance/purchasing/support type services will be moving to the area where the Ira Nelson area.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Couple of other points I remembered which are OK to share.

1) ULM is playing at a faster pace than in the past and also shooting more threes. Of course it is an unknown if they will continue to do that come Saturday
    2) Elijah McCoy and Cedric Russell were player guests. Both freshman spoke to the group and appear to be well grounded young men.
    Is Elijah McCoy a red shirt? Where does he play?

BeauCajun is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by HOUCajun View Post
    Is Elijah McCoy a red shirt? Where does he play?
    Yes. At 6' 9" 250# he should be in the post. Just 18 y/o.

Pipe dream. Our biggest average in the Dome was a little over 6.

I don't think we've averaged 7,000 since probation.

Averaging 7k is a stretch...but not far fetched to have some 7k and occasional 8k individual games.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast