Thread: Basketball BPI vs RPI

Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Basketball BPI vs RPI

At tonight's Rebounders meeting, there was a discussion of the subject topic. Apparently this is the last year the NCAA will use RPI as a tool in choosing NCAA at large teams and seeding the field. This year both RPI and BPI will be used. BPI is the Basketball Power Index. Next year BPI will be the dominant tool. It uses more statistical analysis such as where your team ranks in things like offensive and defensive efficiency. Your record and strength of schedule are still part of the analysis but the schedule aspect is much less a part of this tool. Therefore you won't have to check to see how the opponents of your opponents are doing. You can concern yourself more with how you are doing. 10000 trials are run daily with this tool therefore there is much less day to day movement. For example, our RPI will drop by playing ULM regardless of outcome. Our BPI may not move much if we play an efficient game. At this time, although our RPI is No. 83, our BPI is No. 61. I actually thought it may be higher than that due to our statistical rankings being quite high in a no. of categories. If we continue to play well, we may be able to move up some in that ranking. I will input another post tomorrow with the highlights of the Rebounders meeting. As usual, only things I don't believe the coaches would mind being shared will be mentioned. Some things are meant only for paying members.

Default Re: Basketball BPI vs RPI

Wow, so given the BPI's reliance on stats, our current scheduling might just be perfect, lol.

We'll see if they follow through, or only use BPI when it excludes mid-majors as fuel for defending the reasoning of excluding mid-majors that was going to happen anyway.

Sounds like an incredibly mid-friendly measure, so I doubt it's a reality. We'll see.

ZoomZoom is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    Wow, so given the BPI's reliance on stats, our current scheduling might just be perfect, lol.
    Nice cast there Bill Dance.

Quote Originally Posted by jllanclos View Post
    We'll see if they follow through, or only use BPI when it excludes mid-majors as fuel for defending the reasoning of excluding mid-majors that was going to happen anyway.

Sounds like an incredibly mid-friendly measure, so I doubt it's a reality. We'll see.
    I don't think the BPI is meant specifically to help mid majors. It is simply thought to be a better tool to assess all teams. Of course the committee members also have the eye test to make decisions. Interesting to hear that after all these years of hearing people speak of the "RPI", that it is now thought to be "outdated".

CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by jllanclos View Post

I'm pretty sure SOS is going to be the subjective pin head that the committee will award those 11-12 seeds to failing P5 schools.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    At tonight's Rebounders meeting, there was a discussion of the subject topic. Apparently this is the last year the NCAA will use RPI as a tool in choosing NCAA at large teams and seeding the field. This year both RPI and BPI will be used. BPI is the Basketball Power Index. Next year BPI will be the dominant tool. It uses more statistical analysis such as where your team ranks in things like offensive and defensive efficiency. Your record and strength of schedule are still part of the analysis but the schedule aspect is much less a part of this tool. Therefore you won't have to check to see how the opponents of your opponents are doing. You can concern yourself more with how you are doing. 10000 trials are run daily with this tool therefore there is much less day to day movement. For example, our RPI will drop by playing ULM regardless of outcome. Our BPI may not move much if we play an efficient game. At this time, although our RPI is No. 83, our BPI is No. 61. I actually thought it may be higher than that due to our statistical rankings being quite high in a no. of categories. If we continue to play well, we may be able to move up some in that ranking. I will input another post tomorrow with the highlights of the Rebounders meeting. As usual, only things I don't believe the coaches would mind being shared will be mentioned. Some things are meant only for paying members.
    I don't know if they mentioned this, but here is another stat that I found interesting.

There are only 8 teams in the country with more wins than the Cajuns!

Two have 16 and six have 15 wins.
    The Cajuns are tied with thirteen other teams with 14 wins!

Quote Originally Posted by IberiaCajun View Post
    I don't know if they mentioned this, but here is another stat that I found interesting.

There are only 8 teams in the country with more wins than the Cajuns!

Two have 16 and six have 15 wins.
    The Cajuns are tied with thirteen other teams with 14 wins!
    Iowa wins at Illinois in OT last night. That should help our RPI especially since it was a road win for the Hawkeyes.

Iowa wins at Illinois in OT last night. That should help our RPI especially since it was a road win for the Hawkeyes.
    If it helped us, it helped keep us from falling further. Down 12 from yesterday.

http://warrennolan.com/basketball/20...dule/Louisiana

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunfanatico View Post
    If it helped us, it helped keep us from falling further. Down 12 from yesterday.

Clemson loss by 1 at NC State likely a factor in the move

Clemson loss by 1 at NC State likely a factor in the move
    guy for clemson 84% free throw shooter was fouled on a 3 point attempt down 3 with .2 seconds left.

made the first 2 easily, ncst called a timeout and he went out there and missed the third that would have tied it and sent it to overtime.
    realistically, clemson didnt deserve to win the game with the way they played.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunfanatico View Post

That's down 12 since we played last.

What also hurt was the three conference losses last night were to teams we already played. That made us 2-4 last night (wins by Iowa and LR, Losses by Clemson, stAte, CCU and App.)