_ _ _ _
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 83

Thread: College Athletic Budgets

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    16,678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    The drastic increase in college tuition is a national phenomena, not a state of Louisiana issue. It is driven by the easy to obtain student loans, grants, etc. it's a natural economic reaction to artificially increased demand through subsidy.


    https://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/05/o...s-so-much.html
    Preach Charles

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    lafayette
    Posts
    11,764

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    The only issue there...is we wouldn't actually have the money. That important thing that builds athletic programs.
    For the shake up coming in college football the perception of being in the top half of budgets is important. We have always done more with less. If we can get to 30 actual and report 40...nobody will question it when comparing us to other departments reporting 40. They will still think we do more with less.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,237

    Default Re: College Athletic Budgets

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    Does anyone know what goes into Texas A&M's budget of almost $195M with $137M in expenses? It has to include some creative accounting as it far exceeds schools like Alabama, Michigan and LSU who have similar size stadiums. Of course, A&M has about 50,000 students and charges $500 per student per semester for access to athletic events. That alone raises $50M. They would still have a $145M budget without student fees.

    NCAA | Finances | USA TODAY Sports
    pretty sure things like private donations are included in your budget. doesnt matter how big the stadium is, its how many donors they have and what they are giving.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    16,678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    For the shake up coming in college football the perception of being in the top half of budgets is important. We have always done more with less. If we can get to 30 actual and report 40...nobody will question it when comparing us to other departments reporting 40. They will still think we do more with less.
    Mudspeth is right..
    I don't care what they have to do to 'get creative' with the numbers we report.. just get us in the top half of budgets. Lie, steal, cheat.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    7,870

    Default Re: College Athletic Budgets

    Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Mudspeth is right..
    I don't care what they have to do to 'get creative' with the numbers we report.. just get us in the top half of budgets. Lie, steal, cheat.
    Agree, do it with everything... attendance, budgets, enrollment....

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,970

    Default Re: College Athletic Budgets

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunJack55 View Post
    Agree, do it with everything... attendance, budgets, enrollment....
    Remember we were the few in the conference to report actual attendance forever..

  7. #67
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    16,708

    Default Re: College Athletic Budgets

    Quote Originally Posted by anhil8tor View Post
    Remember we were the few in the conference to report actual attendance forever..
    Sauce for the goose...if everyone else does it...why shouldn't we? Same with student fees...whether they want them or not. If we do not have student fees we are hamstringing the department.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    372

    Default Re: College Athletic Budgets

    Quote Originally Posted by GeauxCajuns View Post
    pretty sure things like private donations are included in your budget. doesnt matter how big the stadium is, its how many donors they have and what they are giving.
    If we charged 200 a semester per student and we have approximately 20k students that would bring in 8,000,000 a year. UL tuition is so low now as comapaired to the southern average I don't think an extra 400 a year would make that much of a difference ...just my opinion

  9. #69
    CajunEXPRESS's Avatar
    CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    14,508

    Alumni Re: College Athletic Budgets

    Quote Originally Posted by no1cajunfan View Post
    If we charged 200 a semester per student and we have approximately 20k students that would bring in 8,000,000 a year. UL tuition is so low now as comapaired to the southern average I don't think an extra 400 a year would make that much of a difference ...just my opinion
    Not so sure our overall cost are that much less than the southern average. We've built in huge fees. Probably something to do with keeping the TOPS program alive. We've got to consider the total student cost.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    6,976

    Default Re: College Athletic Budgets

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Not so sure our overall cost are that much less than the southern average. We've built in huge fees. Probably something to do with keeping the TOPS program alive. We've got to consider the total student cost.
    An extra $200 per semester will not stop a student from attending the university, but will help propel the university to another level athletically and in turn its perception. Did anyone read the Advertiser article about the Top 10 "perceived" universities in Louisiana? Tulane was #1, followed by Loyola, Centenary and LSU. Nichols was #5 followed by McNeese and LA Tech. UL was #8. Think about that.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    31

    Default Re: College Athletic Budgets

    In conversations with another Louisiana university president I was informed over the last t en years state funding to the university had been reduced by over 60% .Thus in 2007 if Louisiana provided $50 million it now provides $20 million.Tuition,fees,room and board are cheaper at Louisiana universities than many.Most here are misinformed on student athletic fees.All Southland Conference schools I know have them.The students typically have to vote on them.Starting at $500 is a little rich as McNeese students recently passed a $25 a semester increase not including summer sessions and Southeastern passed one a few years ago after a championship football season created student body excitement.Online voting makes it a bit tougher to pass these things over using physical voting booths.


  12. #72
    CajunEXPRESS's Avatar
    CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    14,508

    UL Football Re: College Athletic Budgets

    Only one of those perception has a special athletic program. So I cannot help idiots who see Nicholls as better than UL.

    Frankly I've never met a single individual who considered any public university not named LSU as being on par with UL , well except LTU. And even that's changing.

    I'm not saying a other 200 a semester is a killer, but you're required to get students to approve it, the fee.


  13. #73
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    31

    Default Re: College Athletic Budgets

    A way I heard of approaching student fees is to charge by the credit hour and involve a number of non athletic student organizations like band,debate,newspaper,cheerleaders etc.Athletics may get $2 per hour while others get 25 cents per credit hour.This way involves but doesn't impact part time students disproportionately.This method involves a lot of organizations and their friends in supporting passage.


  14. #74
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    31

    Default Re: College Athletic Budgets

    Sorry Cajun express but I believe all Southland State universities have athletic student fees that greatly help their athletic budgets .So it would not be unusual to do that at UL.Why wouldn't we be working with the SGA on this like other,more than Nichols,state universities?


  15. #75
    VObserver's Avatar
    VObserver is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Abbeville, LA
    Posts
    5,776

    Default Re: College Athletic Budgets

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Not so sure our overall cost are that much less than the southern average. We've built in huge fees. Probably something to do with keeping the TOPS program alive. We've got to consider the total student cost.
    Our tuition and fees for instate students total almost the same as Texas State. Our tuition is about 2k less, but fees are about 2k more.

  16. #76
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    6,976

    Default Re: College Athletic Budgets

    Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    Our tuition and fees for instate students total almost the same as Texas State. Our tuition is about 2k less, but fees are about 2k more.
    Texas State has over 35,000 students. How much are their athletic fees per student? Their budget is significantly larger than ours, if I am not mistaken.

  17. #77
    VObserver's Avatar
    VObserver is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Abbeville, LA
    Posts
    5,776

    Default Re: College Athletic Budgets

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    Texas State has over 35,000 students. How much are their athletic fees per student? Their budget is significantly larger than ours, if I am not mistaken.
    Not my point. It is not the fault of other schools in our conference that our administrations have chosen to increase fees instead of tuition. We ALL did that for political reasons, primarily to prop up a failing TOPS program rather than making it more selective. Bottom line is that our cost of attendance is very similar to our peers in conference, and the fact that they were smart enough to fund athletics through student fees and we were not does not change that.

    I am tired of us as a fan base focusing on student fees that we know we will not get rather than on creative ways to generate revenue streams for athletics.

  18. #78
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    31

    Default Re: College Athletic Budgets

    For those who commented on Texas A&M they have the largest student body in the country at over 68,000 students.


  19. #79
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    9,926
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: College Athletic Budgets

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    Texas State has over 35,000 students. How much are their athletic fees per student? Their budget is significantly larger than ours, if I am not mistaken.
    About $15 Million is Student Fees at Texas St.

  20. #80
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    9,926
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: College Athletic Budgets

    Quote Originally Posted by Alum77 View Post
    A way I heard of approaching student fees is to charge by the credit hour and involve a number of non athletic student organizations like band,debate,newspaper,cheerleaders etc.Athletics may get $2 per hour while others get 25 cents per credit hour.This way involves but doesn't impact part time students disproportionately.This method involves a lot of organizations and their friends in supporting passage.
    We already have student fees for the cheerleaders, facilities and others. I've been paying the past 6 years.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •