_ _ _ _
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 83

Thread: College Athletic Budgets

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Flagship-Land
    Posts
    793

    Default Re: College Athletic Budgets

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    .
    Adding a $500 athletic fee to tuition and fees would not be a huge burden for students.
    I really want to know what you based this opinion on.

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5,313

    Default Re: College Athletic Budgets

    Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    Uh, yes.

    The State of Louisiana has cut subsidies to its universities by 44% since the recession. https://www.businessreport.com/artic...-student-state

    The article you linked has absolutely nothing to do with direct government subsidies. It only talks about the federal student loan program, and to a lesser extent pell grants. I don't know why the author chose to call the federal student loan program a subsidy. It's not a subsidy. But it's not surprising because Forbes a notoriously garbage site with a business model that lets pretty much anyone be a "columnist."

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    Uh, yes.

    The State of Louisiana has cut subsidies to its universities by 44% since the recession. https://www.businessreport.com/artic...-student-state

    The article you linked has absolutely nothing to do with direct government subsidies. It only talks about the federal student loan program, and to a lesser extent pell grants. I don't know why the author chose to call the federal student loan program a subsidy. It's not a subsidy. But it's not surprising because Forbes a notoriously garbage site with a business model that lets pretty much anyone be a "columnist."
    Still can't believe that the people of LA are still buying that nonsense about the drastic cuts to the state's budget including higher education. You point to the Great Recession as the starting point of these cuts.

    The biggest single factor in the reduction of the state's budget, during your stated timeline, is directly attributed to the state running out of federal money we received for Hurricane Katrina. Look at the budget prior to Katrina and it looks pretty similar to what it is now. Only difference is the reduced price per barrel of oil.

    Everyone's hand was filled with the federal govt's cash due to a national disaster. Once that money dried up, everyone started screaming bloody murder when the budget was adjusted to pre Katrina levels.

    You conviently failed to acknowledge that UL's tuition including fees is still on the low end when compared to our Southern peers. Try comparing UL's costs of attending on a national scale then you will see how foolish you look.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    6,990

    Default Re: College Athletic Budgets

    Quote Originally Posted by bmv90 View Post
    So the students would subsidize half of the athletic budget....And add 10 percent increase to total cost of attendance (just tuition and fees, not other costs like living)...and it be required, even though we have about 1000 students (this is a generous estimate) at football, a few hundred at basketball, etc.

    With all due respect, your suggestion is completely unreasonable. As someone who just spent 7 years in undergrad and grad school, I would have lost my ____, and I attended most of the games (football, baseball, basketball, some softball).
    What do you mean you would have lost your ___ attending football, baseball, basketball and softball? For $500 a semester, attending all of those games is a hell of a bargain. Why should they be free? Want to elevate athletics, join a better conference, gain national notoriety, it will cost money. UL tuition is way below other states and $500 should not greatly impact those costs, including a school like Texas A&M which has the largest budget in college football ($185M), yet still charges $500 a semester per student for athletics. It is simply a part of tuition & fees and students pay it, over 50,000 students pay it. What high level athletics can do to galvanize a university, its alumni, and a community is immeasurable.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5,313

    Default Re: College Athletic Budgets

    Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    Goodness gracious. You must be currently paying tuition to have a little boy meltdown like that. You feel froggy enough again and I'm gonna have to put your little ___ in timeout.

    First off...this isn't for my entertainment, son. This is to help my investment...and yours...and all the other RCAF donors. The teams we compete against don't have to deal with the same restrictions our backwoods legislature imposed on us. They knew students wouldn't have the foresight to see the benefits. That's why they put that restriction.

    Your argument about paying way more falls so flat...because...EVERY____INGTHING COSTS MORE THESE DAYS. I'm supposed to feel sorry for poor college students? And...our in state tuition is still dirt cheap. So your little tantrum is completely unfounded.

    I want what's best for MY university. If you don't, so you can still seem like on of the cool kids, go right ahead. I won't even entertain your little liberal jab...because I don't care one bit what you think of me.

    Now...you sit in the corner and think about this garbage you posted on the internet.
    First off...this isn't for my entertainment, son. This is to help my investment...and yours...and all the other RCAF donors. The teams we compete against don't have to deal with the same restrictions our backwoods legislature imposed on us. They knew students wouldn't have the foresight to see the benefits. That's why they put that restriction."

    Oh it most definitely is. You want UL atheltics to have more money so they can have better teams, win more games, and have nicer stuff. That's why you give to the RCAF. Its not an "investment." And I'm glad you give, but you give becuase you want to give. Lots of students don't, and you're getting all ____y at them because they don't want to pay for your hobby.

    "Your argument about paying way more falls so flat...because...EVERY____INGTHING COSTS MORE THESE DAYS. I'm supposed to feel sorry for poor college students? And...our in state tuition is still dirt cheap. So your little tantrum is completely unfounded."

    What a dumb argument. Yes, inflation exists. And when you ADJUST FOR INFLATION, they are paying way more than you did. And as I said above the state contributes about 43% less to their education than it contributed to your college education.

    "I want what's best for MY university. If you don't, so you can still seem like on of the cool kids, go right ahead. I won't even entertain your little liberal jab...because I don't care one bit what you think of me. "

    Nah, you clearly want what's best for you. I'm not against student fees. I'd freakin love it because the teams I love would get more money and I wouldn't have to pay a dime for it. But unlike you, I'm not about to take a dump on any student who isn't willing to help pay for an athletic program they don't care about. You don't want to entertain my liberal jab because you know it is DEAD ON.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Metairie,LA
    Posts
    4,173

    Default Re: College Athletic Budgets

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    What do you mean you would have lost your ___ attending football, baseball, basketball and softball? For $500 a semester, attending all of those games is a hell of a bargain. Why should they be free? Want to elevate athletics, join a better conference, gain national notoriety, it will cost money. UL tuition is way below other states and $500 should not greatly impact those costs, including a school like Texas A&M which has the largest budget in college football ($185M), yet still charges $500 a semester per student for athletics. It is simply a part of tuition & fees and students pay it, over 50,000 students pay it. What high level athletics can do to galvanize a university, its alumni, and a community is immeasurable.
    $500 per semester is way too high. That is higher than my Saints season tickets. Comparing us to A&M is also not fair. We don't have the tradition or the resources they possess.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Flagship-Land
    Posts
    793

    Default Re: College Athletic Budgets

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    What do you mean you would have lost your ___ attending football, baseball, basketball and softball? For $500 a semester, attending all of those games is a hell of a bargain. Why should they be free? Want to elevate athletics, join a better conference, gain national notoriety, it will cost money. UL tuition is way below other states and $500 should not greatly impact those costs, including a school like Texas A&M which has the largest budget in college football ($185M), yet still charges $500 a semester per student for athletics. It is simply a part of tuition & fees and students pay it, over 50,000 students pay it. What high level athletics can do to galvanize a university, its alumni, and a community is immeasurable.
    1. Your fee is a 500 dollar increase: What you are proposing is going from $0/semester to $500/semester. It does not matter that our tuition is lower than other states. Its like saying your mortgage is $1,000/month but it should be raised because the house cost more in another state and thus the mortgage would be higher. Its a red herring.

    2. We are not Texas A&M. We do not have a $150 million budget (or whatever it is these days).

    3. You are proposing doubling the budget by subsidizing athletics with $20 million. Do you really think that will fly in todays economic times? When programs are being cut?

    4. These are students. They study for a living (and drink, but thats what college is for). You are proposing a 10 percent increase to their tuition for athletics even though 90 percent dont go to events.

    5. Another red herring: it doesn't matter that all of the games I went to amount to $500 a semester for tickets at face value. Students should not be charged face value for tickets. Im pretty sure there are no schools (and if there are, its very few) that charge face value. I went to LSU from 2014-2017. I bought football season tickets (judge me, I know you are). I attended a few LSU baseball games (I am a UL baseball season ticket holder). If I would have attended every single LSU game available to me, it would not have cost even close to 500 a semester.
    Last edited by LouisianaB; January 11th, 2018 at 05:04 pm. Reason: put percent instead of dollars

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Metry
    Posts
    1,448

    Default Re: College Athletic Budgets

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    $500 X 20,000 students = $10,000,000 per semester X 2 semesters = $20,000,000 to athletics. That would push our budget to almost $50,000,000, which is where we need to be.
    $50 million would put us at 59, right behin Memphis, and just in front of James Madison, an FCS (D-II) school. Notably, it would also place us behind

    56 San Diego State Mt. West $56,551,028

    a former bowl adversary,

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    20,756
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: College Athletic Budgets

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    I definitely didn'y say that. Don't put words in my mouth.

    I am curious to know what you're trying to claim here though. Does the fact that a college has a good football school mean that degree is somehow more valuable? Is a UCF degree now more valuable than a degree from UF since they had a better football team?

    I don't think these students really agree with you. Let's be honest, if these students actually felt that going to a school with a "top notch" athletic program mattered they would made the short drive over to LSU.
    A core value quotient is simply whether they have ever heard of your school before, and to what extent.

    Advertising exposure through athletics brings the most bang for the value buck.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    lafayette
    Posts
    11,802

    Default Re: College Athletic Budgets

    How about our AD use the same creative accounting that ARK states AD uses. Use the same creative accounting he used to get 2 million for assistants. In college athletics the ability to report a large budget is about as important as actually having one. StAte doesn't have 40 million accessible to them for athletics every year, but people think they do.


  11. #51
    basinbear's Avatar
    basinbear is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Missouri City, TX.
    Posts
    5,911

    Default Re: College Athletic Budgets

    There will be no athletic student fees now or in the near future, period.....


  12. #52
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    South & East of Cajun Field
    Posts
    1,928

    Default Re: College Athletic Budgets

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    How about our AD use the same creative accounting that ARK states AD uses. Use the same creative accounting he used to get 2 million for assistants. In college athletics the ability to report a large budget is about as important as actually having one. StAte doesn't have 40 million accessible to them for athletics every year, but people think they do.
    I gripe about what Arky State reports, because I believe to a large degree it's bogus, but also agree with your observation that others believe they have those funds available on a yearly basis.

    Perception, not reality.

  13. #53
    CajunEXPRESS's Avatar
    CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    14,517

    UL Football Re: College Athletic Budgets

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunJeaux View Post

    Even so...if you don't think other donations outside of athletics wouldn't pour in with a successful athletic department you're crazy.
    You're right on the money. The more successful the athletic department the more money to the institution. But the students shouldn't be forced to help.

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,457

    Default Re: College Athletic Budgets

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    Uh, yes.

    The State of Louisiana has cut subsidies to its universities by 44% since the recession. https://www.businessreport.com/artic...-student-state

    The article you linked has absolutely nothing to do with direct government subsidies. It only talks about the federal student loan program, and to a lesser extent pell grants. I don't know why the author chose to call the federal student loan program a subsidy. It's not a subsidy. But it's not surprising because Forbes a notoriously garbage site with a business model that lets pretty much anyone be a "columnist."
    The drastic increase in college tuition is a national phenomena, not a state of Louisiana issue. It is driven by the easy to obtain student loans, grants, etc. it's a natural economic reaction to artificially increased demand through subsidy.


    https://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/05/o...s-so-much.html

  15. #55
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    16,709

    Default Re: College Athletic Budgets

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    "First off...this isn't for my entertainment, son. This is to help my investment...and yours...and all the other RCAF donors. The teams we compete against don't have to deal with the same restrictions our backwoods legislature imposed on us. They knew students wouldn't have the foresight to see the benefits. That's why they put that restriction."

    Oh it most definitely is. You want UL atheltics to have more money so they can have better teams, win more games, and have nicer stuff. That's why you give to the RCAF. Its not an "investment." And I'm glad you give, but you give becuase you want to give. Lots of students don't, and you're getting all ____y at them because they don't want to pay for your hobby.

    "Your argument about paying way more falls so flat...because...EVERY____INGTHING COSTS MORE THESE DAYS. I'm supposed to feel sorry for poor college students? And...our in state tuition is still dirt cheap. So your little tantrum is completely unfounded."

    What a dumb argument. Yes, inflation exists. And when you ADJUST FOR INFLATION, they are paying way more than you did. And as I said above the state contributes about 43% less to their education than it contributed to your college education.

    "I want what's best for MY university. If you don't, so you can still seem like on of the cool kids, go right ahead. I won't even entertain your little liberal jab...because I don't care one bit what you think of me. "

    Nah, you clearly want what's best for you. I'm not against student fees. I'd freakin love it because the teams I love would get more money and I wouldn't have to pay a dime for it. But unlike you, I'm not about to take a dump on any student who isn't willing to help pay for an athletic program they don't care about. You don't want to entertain my liberal jab because you know it is DEAD ON.
    Your entire argument revolves around me being selfish...when that could not be more incorrect. I've donated money, had season tickets, and tailgated every single year since 2010. With no student fee. I am not holding the athletic department hostage with everything unless I get a student fee. Now that is selfish. Keep beating that drum, while keeping your real reason for not wanting this to yourself...so you don't seem selfish.

    I don't give two ____s how much less they are being given by the government. It's still ____ing cheap compared to schools like us in other states. What argument can you slather out to contradict that statement? I would love to see it.

    You clearly don't want student fees. No one who really wants them would go on diatribes against them. In grand Cajunhawk fashion, Hitler didn't really want the Jews to flourish, while campaigning against them.

  16. #56
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    16,709

    Default Re: College Athletic Budgets

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    How about our AD use the same creative accounting that ARK states AD uses. Use the same creative accounting he used to get 2 million for assistants. In college athletics the ability to report a large budget is about as important as actually having one. StAte doesn't have 40 million accessible to them for athletics every year, but people think they do.
    The only issue there...is we wouldn't actually have the money. That important thing that builds athletic programs.

  17. #57
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    16,709

    Default Re: College Athletic Budgets

    Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    The drastic increase in college tuition is a national phenomena, not a state of Louisiana issue. It is driven by the easy to obtain student loans, grants, etc. it's a natural economic reaction to artificially increased demand through subsidy.


    https://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/05/o...s-so-much.html
    Sauce for the goose, if the gubment can whack the students like a pinata...so can we.

  18. #58
    ZoomZoom's Avatar
    ZoomZoom is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    5,289

    Default Re: College Athletic Budgets

    Quote Originally Posted by basinbear View Post
    There will be no athletic student fees now or in the near future, period.....
    ^^^^^ This. The more the "leaders" in BR "lead", the worse it gets. The day is coming, not saying next year or the near future, but the leaner we are regarding state money the better.

    Georgetown is having a "no phone zone" game promotion. That's says tons. With all the distractions the world has today, sports will be a hard sell in a few years, and easier to cut. Of course, they announced it on Twitter.


    http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...es-section-118

  19. #59
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    6,990

    Default Re: College Athletic Budgets

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    How about our AD use the same creative accounting that ARK states AD uses. Use the same creative accounting he used to get 2 million for assistants. In college athletics the ability to report a large budget is about as important as actually having one. StAte doesn't have 40 million accessible to them for athletics every year, but people think they do.
    Does anyone know what goes into Texas A&M's budget of almost $195M with $137M in expenses? It has to include some creative accounting as it far exceeds schools like Alabama, Michigan and LSU who have similar size stadiums. Of course, A&M has about 50,000 students and charges $500 per student per semester for access to athletic events. That alone raises $50M. They would still have a $145M budget without student fees.

    NCAA | Finances | USA TODAY Sports

  20. #60
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    16,760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    "First off...this isn't for my entertainment, son. This is to help my investment...and yours...and all the other RCAF donors. The teams we compete against don't have to deal with the same restrictions our backwoods legislature imposed on us. They knew students wouldn't have the foresight to see the benefits. That's why they put that restriction."

    Oh it most definitely is. You want UL atheltics to have more money so they can have better teams, win more games, and have nicer stuff. That's why you give to the RCAF. Its not an "investment." And I'm glad you give, but you give becuase you want to give. Lots of students don't, and you're getting all ____y at them because they don't want to pay for your hobby.

    "Your argument about paying way more falls so flat...because...EVERY____INGTHING COSTS MORE THESE DAYS. I'm supposed to feel sorry for poor college students? And...our in state tuition is still dirt cheap. So your little tantrum is completely unfounded."

    What a dumb argument. Yes, inflation exists. And when you ADJUST FOR INFLATION, they are paying way more than you did. And as I said above the state contributes about 43% less to their education than it contributed to your college education.

    "I want what's best for MY university. If you don't, so you can still seem like on of the cool kids, go right ahead. I won't even entertain your little liberal jab...because I don't care one bit what you think of me. "

    Nah, you clearly want what's best for you. I'm not against student fees. I'd freakin love it because the teams I love would get more money and I wouldn't have to pay a dime for it. But unlike you, I'm not about to take a dump on any student who isn't willing to help pay for an athletic program they don't care about. You don't want to entertain my liberal jab because you know it is DEAD ON.
    Another swing and miss...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •