Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: College Athletic Budgets

Blog Entries

Default Re: College Athletic Budgets

Quote Originally Posted by no1cajunfan View Post
    Most states assess student fees to help subsidize athletics but not Louisiana. Does the university need legislative approval to do this?
    For years (decades) outright student athletic fees were banned.

No it just needs a student vote, but timing is everything.

Rig the vote. We are not dealing with normal college kids anymore. These are precious babies who latch on to any cause they see fit for the better part of an afternoon. They will be ____ed when it passes, then get up in arms about a viral video by the time it's too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Policarp View Post
    Vote for a fee that gradually ramps up over in 4-5 years. Cost to all Junior-Seniors would be near 0. Plus student ensure all student athletes voting for it and you should get a majority easily.

Student fee needs to be a % of tuition AND not a fixed $ amount.........so fee adjust naturally upwards with inflation. Otherwise in 10-15 years you are stuck with an underfunded financial model.

When they do the vote...........that semester UL needs to have a 1/4 credit continuous education very cheap web class all us old farts can enroll into, (make it official so we are all students with ID) and stuff the ballot box with a few hundred positive votes. 100% legal....all students. None of that Democrat illegal voting crap. Clean, legit vote sort of.
    I think you are extremely insulated from students today. The odds of even getting it to a vote are slim. The odds of it passing are virtually nonexistent

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmv90 View Post
    I think you are extremely insulated from students today. The odds of even getting it to a vote are slim. The odds of it passing are virtually nonexistent
    Remove free entrance to games directly......do like TAMU does to me (daughter goes there)......I pay $500 added to tuition just to pay for her student entry fees into games. & it is NOT a choice or Id tell them to go ____ off.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmv90 View Post
    Remove free entrance to games directly...no vote needed......do like TAMU does to me (daughter goes there)......I pay $500 added to tuition just to pay for her student entry fees into games. & it is NOT a choice or Id tell them to go ____ off.

UL Students now pay more in student fees than tuition a fact that is not lost on those students as it is clearly shown on the invoice they receive. Given the amount of students that actually show up to games these days, the chances of passing a new fee has to be close to zero. I'm as big of a fan as anyone here. I'd probably vote no too.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    UL Students now pay more in student fees than tuition a fact that is not lost on those students as it is clearly shown on the invoice they receive. Given the amount of students that actually show up to games these days, the chances of passing a new fee has to be close to zero. I'm as big of a fan as anyone here. I'd probably vote no too.
    Let them vote to rededicate fees they are already paying to go athletics

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    Rig the vote. We are not dealing with normal college kids anymore. These are precious babies who latch on to any cause they see fit for the better part of an afternoon. They will be ____ed when it passes, then get up in arms about a viral video by the time it's too late.
    Oh p-ss off.

You want to force them to pay hundreds of dollars a year to subsidize YOUR entertainment so YOU can benefit from it and you have the audacity to call them "precious babies" for not wanting to do it?

Meanwhile these same students are having to pay way more than you did to attend school because they didn't get to benefit from the same state government subsidies you had.

You're getting mad because people don't want to help pay for YOUR personal recreation. If that isn't the definition of an overly-entitled liberal snowflake I don't know what is.

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxCajuns View Post
    Let them vote to rededicate fees they are already paying to go athletics
    Can the university just raise tuition then take that extra money and move it to athletics?

Clutch0364 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Remove free entrance to games directly...no vote needed......do like TAMU does to me (daughter goes there)......I pay $500 added to tuition just to pay for her student entry fees into games. & it is NOT a choice or Id tell them to go ____ off.
    They already have that kind of fee.

Oh p-ss off.

You want to force them to pay hundreds of dollars a year to subsidize YOUR entertainment so YOU can benefit from it and you have the audacity to call them "precious babies" for not wanting to do it?

Meanwhile these same students are having to pay way more than you did to attend school because they didn't get to benefit from the same state government subsidies you had.

You're getting mad because people don't want to help pay for YOUR personal recreation. If that isn't the definition of an overly-entitled liberal snowflake I don't know what is.
    As usual, every word in this response is laughably wrong.

Oh p-ss off.

So students would see ZERO benefit from having a top notch athletic program?...None what so ever?

Uh, no.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/timwors.../#4ff2914f45a2

Oh p-ss off.

Goodness gracious. You must be currently paying tuition to have a little boy meltdown like that. You feel froggy enough again and I'm gonna have to put your little ___ in timeout.

First off...this isn't for my entertainment, son. This is to help my investment...and yours...and all the other RCAF donors. The teams we compete against don't have to deal with the same restrictions our backwoods legislature imposed on us. They knew students wouldn't have the foresight to see the benefits. That's why they put that restriction.

Your argument about paying way more falls so flat...because...EVERY____INGTHING COSTS MORE THESE DAYS. I'm supposed to feel sorry for poor college students? And...our in state tuition is still dirt cheap. So your little tantrum is completely unfounded.

I want what's best for MY university. If you don't, so you can still seem like on of the cool kids, go right ahead. I won't even entertain your little liberal jab...because I don't care one bit what you think of me.

Now...you sit in the corner and think about this garbage you posted on the internet.

I reported A&M doing that some time ago and maybe this is the way to go. Just make it a part of tuition/fees and you don't need the students to pass anything. Think about all of the games and events they get to attend or at least are available to them. On average, 6 home football games, 12 men's and 12 women's basketball games, 25+ baseball games, 25+ softball games, 6 tennis matches, 6 soccer games, 2 T&F events and 2 golf events. All of that for $500 per semester. Even if they don't attend all, especially given the cost of admission for one ticket to football or basketball, this is a great bargain. Maybe more students will attend athletic events if they know they paid for them. Why should these be freebies anyway? A lot of schools have done away with that to help support athletics.

$500 X 20,000 students = $10,000,000 per semester X 2 semesters = $20,000,000 to athletics. That would push our budget to almost $50,000,000, which is where we need to be. UL's tuition is among the lowest in the country. Adding a $500 athletic fee to tuition and fees would not be a huge burden for students. What it will do for the university athletically is immeasurable. What that, in turn, will do for the perception of the university is also immeasurable. A highly successful football program can have a huge impact on enrollment, endowments, fund raising, etc. IMO, this should be implemented by the university. I know tuition hikes must be approved by the UL System, but is an added fee something the university can do on its own or would it also need System approval to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    Goodness gracious. You must be currently paying tuition to have a little boy meltdown like that. You feel froggy enough again and I'm gonna have to put your little ___ in timeout.

First off...this isn't for my entertainment, son. This is to help my investment...and yours...and all the other RCAF donors. The teams we compete against don't have to deal with the same restrictions our backwoods legislature imposed on us. They knew students wouldn't have the foresight to see the benefits. That's why they put that restriction.

Your argument about paying way more falls so flat...because...EVERY____INGTHING COSTS MORE THESE DAYS. I'm supposed to feel sorry for poor college students? And...our in state tuition is still dirt cheap. So your little tantrum is completely unfounded.

I want what's best for MY university. If you don't, so you can still seem like on of the cool kids, go right ahead. I won't even entertain your little liberal jab...because I don't care one bit what you think of me.

Now...you sit in the corner and think about this garbage you posted on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJeaux View Post
    So students would see ZERO benefit from having a top notch athletic program?...None what so ever?
    I definitely didn'y say that. Don't put words in my mouth.

I am curious to know what you're trying to claim here though. Does the fact that a college has a good football school mean that degree is somehow more valuable? Is a UCF degree now more valuable than a degree from UF since they had a better football team?

I don't think these students really agree with you. Let's be honest, if these students actually felt that going to a school with a "top notch" athletic program mattered they would made the short drive over to LSU.

Even $150.00 per semester would generate $6,000,000. Can't argue that free admission to athletic events is not worth that. If you are charged/paid for admission, perhaps more would actually attend events since you now have an economic interest. If you want someone to cherish something don't give it to them, make them earn it.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    I reported A&M doing that some time ago and maybe this is the way to go. Just make it a part of tuition/fees and you don't need the students to pass anything. Think about all of the games and events they get to attend or at least are available to them. On average, 6 home football games, 12 men's and 12 women's basketball games, 25+ baseball games, 25+ softball games, 6 tennis matches, 6 soccer games, 2 T&F events and 2 golf events. All of that for $500 per semester. Even if they don't attend all, especially given the cost of admission for one ticket to football or basketball, this is a great bargain. Maybe more students will attend athletic events if they know they paid for them. Why should these be freebies anyway? A lot of schools have done away with that to help support athletics.

$500 X 20,000 students = $10,000,000 per semester X 2 semesters = $20,000,000 to athletics. That would push our budget to almost $50,000,000, which is where we need to be. UL's tuition is among the lowest in the country. Adding a $500 athletic fee to tuition and fees would not be a huge burden for students. What it will do for the university athletically is immeasurable. What that, in turn, will do for the perception of the university is also immeasurable. A highly successful football program can have a huge impact on enrollment, endowments, fund raising, etc. IMO, this should be implemented by the university. I know tuition hikes must be approved by the UL System, but is an added fee something the university can do on its own or would it also need System approval to do so.
    So the students would subsidize half of the athletic budget....And add 10 percent increase to total cost of attendance (just tuition and fees, not other costs like living)...and it be required, even though we have about 1000 students (this is a generous estimate) at football, a few hundred at basketball, etc.

With all due respect, your suggestion is completely unreasonable. As someone who just spent 7 years in undergrad and grad school, I would have lost my ____, and I attended most of the games (football, baseball, basketball, some softball).

I definitely didn'y say that. Don't put words in my mouth.

I am curious to know what you're trying to claim here though. Does the fact that a college has a good football school mean that degree is somehow more valuable? Is a UCF degree now more valuable than a degree from UF since they had a better football team?

I don't think these students really agree with you. Let's be honest, if these students actually felt that going to a school with a "top notch" athletic program mattered they would made the short drive over to LSU.
    Do I think it makes a degree more valuable?...No... Does the general public think it does?...yes

Even so...if you don't think other donations outside of athletics wouldn't pour in with a successful athletic department you're crazy.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast