Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 83

Thread: College Athletic Budgets

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    19,392
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: College Athletic Budgets

    Quote Originally Posted by no1cajunfan View Post
    Most states assess student fees to help subsidize athletics but not Louisiana. Does the university need legislative approval to do this?
    For years (decades) outright student athletic fees were banned.

    No it just needs a student vote, but timing is everything.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    16,527

    Default Re: College Athletic Budgets

    Rig the vote. We are not dealing with normal college kids anymore. These are precious babies who latch on to any cause they see fit for the better part of an afternoon. They will be ____ed when it passes, then get up in arms about a viral video by the time it's too late.


  3. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Flagship-Land
    Posts
    684

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Policarp View Post
    Vote for a fee that gradually ramps up over in 4-5 years. Cost to all Junior-Seniors would be near 0. Plus student ensure all student athletes voting for it and you should get a majority easily.

    Student fee needs to be a % of tuition AND not a fixed $ amount.........so fee adjust naturally upwards with inflation. Otherwise in 10-15 years you are stuck with an underfunded financial model.

    When they do the vote...........that semester UL needs to have a 1/4 credit continuous education very cheap web class all us old farts can enroll into, (make it official so we are all students with ID) and stuff the ballot box with a few hundred positive votes. 100% legal....all students. None of that Democrat illegal voting crap. Clean, legit vote sort of.
    I think you are extremely insulated from students today. The odds of even getting it to a vote are slim. The odds of it passing are virtually nonexistent

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    2,097
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bmv90 View Post
    I think you are extremely insulated from students today. The odds of even getting it to a vote are slim. The odds of it passing are virtually nonexistent
    Remove free entrance to games directly......do like TAMU does to me (daughter goes there)......I pay $500 added to tuition just to pay for her student entry fees into games. & it is NOT a choice or Id tell them to go ____ off.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    2,097
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bmv90 View Post
    I think you are extremely insulated from students today. The odds of even getting it to a vote are slim. The odds of it passing are virtually nonexistent
    Remove free entrance to games directly...no vote needed......do like TAMU does to me (daughter goes there)......I pay $500 added to tuition just to pay for her student entry fees into games. & it is NOT a choice or Id tell them to go ____ off.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5,153

    Default Re: College Athletic Budgets

    UL Students now pay more in student fees than tuition a fact that is not lost on those students as it is clearly shown on the invoice they receive. Given the amount of students that actually show up to games these days, the chances of passing a new fee has to be close to zero. I'm as big of a fan as anyone here. I'd probably vote no too.


  7. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,179

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    UL Students now pay more in student fees than tuition a fact that is not lost on those students as it is clearly shown on the invoice they receive. Given the amount of students that actually show up to games these days, the chances of passing a new fee has to be close to zero. I'm as big of a fan as anyone here. I'd probably vote no too.
    Let them vote to rededicate fees they are already paying to go athletics

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5,153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    Rig the vote. We are not dealing with normal college kids anymore. These are precious babies who latch on to any cause they see fit for the better part of an afternoon. They will be ____ed when it passes, then get up in arms about a viral video by the time it's too late.
    Oh p-ss off.

    You want to force them to pay hundreds of dollars a year to subsidize YOUR entertainment so YOU can benefit from it and you have the audacity to call them "precious babies" for not wanting to do it?

    Meanwhile these same students are having to pay way more than you did to attend school because they didn't get to benefit from the same state government subsidies you had.

    You're getting mad because people don't want to help pay for YOUR personal recreation. If that isn't the definition of an overly-entitled liberal snowflake I don't know what is.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    304

    Default Re: College Athletic Budgets

    Quote Originally Posted by GeauxCajuns View Post
    Let them vote to rededicate fees they are already paying to go athletics
    Can the university just raise tuition then take that extra money and move it to athletics?

  10. #30
    Clutch0364's Avatar
    Clutch0364 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Youngsville
    Posts
    5,154

    Default Re: College Athletic Budgets

    Quote Originally Posted by Policarp View Post
    Remove free entrance to games directly...no vote needed......do like TAMU does to me (daughter goes there)......I pay $500 added to tuition just to pay for her student entry fees into games. & it is NOT a choice or Id tell them to go ____ off.
    They already have that kind of fee.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    15,376

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    Oh p-ss off.

    You want to force them to pay hundreds of dollars a year to subsidize YOUR entertainment so YOU can benefit from it and you have the audacity to call them "precious babies" for not wanting to do it?

    Meanwhile these same students are having to pay way more than you did to attend school because they didn't get to benefit from the same state government subsidies you had.

    You're getting mad because people don't want to help pay for YOUR personal recreation. If that isn't the definition of an overly-entitled liberal snowflake I don't know what is.
    As usual, every word in this response is laughably wrong.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    Oh p-ss off.

    You want to force them to pay hundreds of dollars a year to subsidize YOUR entertainment so YOU can benefit from it and you have the audacity to call them "precious babies" for not wanting to do it?

    Meanwhile these same students are having to pay way more than you did to attend school because they didn't get to benefit from the same state government subsidies you had.

    You're getting mad because people don't want to help pay for YOUR personal recreation. If that isn't the definition of an overly-entitled liberal snowflake I don't know what is.
    So students would see ZERO benefit from having a top notch athletic program?...None what so ever?

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,240

    Default Re: College Athletic Budgets

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post

    Meanwhile these same students are having to pay way more than you did to attend school because they didn't get to benefit from the same state government subsidies you had.
    Uh, no.

    https://www.forbes.com/sites/timwors.../#4ff2914f45a2

  14. #34
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    16,527

    Default Re: College Athletic Budgets

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    Oh p-ss off.

    You want to force them to pay hundreds of dollars a year to subsidize YOUR entertainment so YOU can benefit from it and you have the audacity to call them "precious babies" for not wanting to do it?

    Meanwhile these same students are having to pay way more than you did to attend school because they didn't get to benefit from the same state government subsidies you had.

    You're getting mad because people don't want to help pay for YOUR personal recreation. If that isn't the definition of an overly-entitled liberal snowflake I don't know what is.
    Goodness gracious. You must be currently paying tuition to have a little boy meltdown like that. You feel froggy enough again and I'm gonna have to put your little ___ in timeout.

    First off...this isn't for my entertainment, son. This is to help my investment...and yours...and all the other RCAF donors. The teams we compete against don't have to deal with the same restrictions our backwoods legislature imposed on us. They knew students wouldn't have the foresight to see the benefits. That's why they put that restriction.

    Your argument about paying way more falls so flat...because...EVERY____INGTHING COSTS MORE THESE DAYS. I'm supposed to feel sorry for poor college students? And...our in state tuition is still dirt cheap. So your little tantrum is completely unfounded.

    I want what's best for MY university. If you don't, so you can still seem like on of the cool kids, go right ahead. I won't even entertain your little liberal jab...because I don't care one bit what you think of me.

    Now...you sit in the corner and think about this garbage you posted on the internet.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    6,729

    Default Re: College Athletic Budgets

    Quote Originally Posted by Policarp View Post
    Remove free entrance to games directly...no vote needed......do like TAMU does to me (daughter goes there)......I pay $500 added to tuition just to pay for her student entry fees into games. & it is NOT a choice or Id tell them to go ____ off.
    I reported A&M doing that some time ago and maybe this is the way to go. Just make it a part of tuition/fees and you don't need the students to pass anything. Think about all of the games and events they get to attend or at least are available to them. On average, 6 home football games, 12 men's and 12 women's basketball games, 25+ baseball games, 25+ softball games, 6 tennis matches, 6 soccer games, 2 T&F events and 2 golf events. All of that for $500 per semester. Even if they don't attend all, especially given the cost of admission for one ticket to football or basketball, this is a great bargain. Maybe more students will attend athletic events if they know they paid for them. Why should these be freebies anyway? A lot of schools have done away with that to help support athletics.

    $500 X 20,000 students = $10,000,000 per semester X 2 semesters = $20,000,000 to athletics. That would push our budget to almost $50,000,000, which is where we need to be. UL's tuition is among the lowest in the country. Adding a $500 athletic fee to tuition and fees would not be a huge burden for students. What it will do for the university athletically is immeasurable. What that, in turn, will do for the perception of the university is also immeasurable. A highly successful football program can have a huge impact on enrollment, endowments, fund raising, etc. IMO, this should be implemented by the university. I know tuition hikes must be approved by the UL System, but is an added fee something the university can do on its own or would it also need System approval to do so.

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    7,833

    Default Re: College Athletic Budgets

    Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    Goodness gracious. You must be currently paying tuition to have a little boy meltdown like that. You feel froggy enough again and I'm gonna have to put your little ___ in timeout.

    First off...this isn't for my entertainment, son. This is to help my investment...and yours...and all the other RCAF donors. The teams we compete against don't have to deal with the same restrictions our backwoods legislature imposed on us. They knew students wouldn't have the foresight to see the benefits. That's why they put that restriction.

    Your argument about paying way more falls so flat...because...EVERY____INGTHING COSTS MORE THESE DAYS. I'm supposed to feel sorry for poor college students? And...our in state tuition is still dirt cheap. So your little tantrum is completely unfounded.

    I want what's best for MY university. If you don't, so you can still seem like on of the cool kids, go right ahead. I won't even entertain your little liberal jab...because I don't care one bit what you think of me.

    Now...you sit in the corner and think about this garbage you posted on the internet.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5,153

    Default Re: College Athletic Budgets

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunJeaux View Post
    So students would see ZERO benefit from having a top notch athletic program?...None what so ever?
    I definitely didn'y say that. Don't put words in my mouth.

    I am curious to know what you're trying to claim here though. Does the fact that a college has a good football school mean that degree is somehow more valuable? Is a UCF degree now more valuable than a degree from UF since they had a better football team?

    I don't think these students really agree with you. Let's be honest, if these students actually felt that going to a school with a "top notch" athletic program mattered they would made the short drive over to LSU.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Opelousas, LA
    Posts
    1,496

    Default Re: College Athletic Budgets

    Even $150.00 per semester would generate $6,000,000. Can't argue that free admission to athletic events is not worth that. If you are charged/paid for admission, perhaps more would actually attend events since you now have an economic interest. If you want someone to cherish something don't give it to them, make them earn it.


  19. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Flagship-Land
    Posts
    684

    Default Re: College Athletic Budgets

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    I reported A&M doing that some time ago and maybe this is the way to go. Just make it a part of tuition/fees and you don't need the students to pass anything. Think about all of the games and events they get to attend or at least are available to them. On average, 6 home football games, 12 men's and 12 women's basketball games, 25+ baseball games, 25+ softball games, 6 tennis matches, 6 soccer games, 2 T&F events and 2 golf events. All of that for $500 per semester. Even if they don't attend all, especially given the cost of admission for one ticket to football or basketball, this is a great bargain. Maybe more students will attend athletic events if they know they paid for them. Why should these be freebies anyway? A lot of schools have done away with that to help support athletics.

    $500 X 20,000 students = $10,000,000 per semester X 2 semesters = $20,000,000 to athletics. That would push our budget to almost $50,000,000, which is where we need to be. UL's tuition is among the lowest in the country. Adding a $500 athletic fee to tuition and fees would not be a huge burden for students. What it will do for the university athletically is immeasurable. What that, in turn, will do for the perception of the university is also immeasurable. A highly successful football program can have a huge impact on enrollment, endowments, fund raising, etc. IMO, this should be implemented by the university. I know tuition hikes must be approved by the UL System, but is an added fee something the university can do on its own or would it also need System approval to do so.
    So the students would subsidize half of the athletic budget....And add 10 percent increase to total cost of attendance (just tuition and fees, not other costs like living)...and it be required, even though we have about 1000 students (this is a generous estimate) at football, a few hundred at basketball, etc.

    With all due respect, your suggestion is completely unreasonable. As someone who just spent 7 years in undergrad and grad school, I would have lost my ____, and I attended most of the games (football, baseball, basketball, some softball).

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    I definitely didn'y say that. Don't put words in my mouth.

    I am curious to know what you're trying to claim here though. Does the fact that a college has a good football school mean that degree is somehow more valuable? Is a UCF degree now more valuable than a degree from UF since they had a better football team?

    I don't think these students really agree with you. Let's be honest, if these students actually felt that going to a school with a "top notch" athletic program mattered they would made the short drive over to LSU.
    Do I think it makes a degree more valuable?...No... Does the general public think it does?...yes

    Even so...if you don't think other donations outside of athletics wouldn't pour in with a successful athletic department you're crazy.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •