Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: MBB Final: Louisiana 81, Coastal 64

Quote Originally Posted by Localyokel View Post
    I was very disappointed in the crowd last night. After the great start in conference play, on a Saturday night with NOTHING else going on all we can muster is 4k?
    Maybe that's it. Maybe I'm just setting myself up for disappointment. There is no reason, in my mind, why a school with the basketball history that UL has should not outdraw it's baseball team.
    I've also given up hope of having any kind of student support. There might have been 40 students there, and those there may as well have been someplace else. It's like they are too cool to be involved in the game. They don't even bother to cheer.
    It is kind of astounding to see how few students show up to games these days. And even more astounding to see how quiet they are. I suspect this is a generational thing and a sign of the times. With social media you don't have to go places to meet up with friends and meet new people. And I suspect this is partly to blame for the lower attendance among non-students. That, and when you broadcast your games in HD for free on the internet, you can't be surprised when people decide to make the easy and cheaper choice to stay home and watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by Localyokel View Post
    I was very disappointed in the crowd last night. After the great start in conference play, on a Saturday night with NOTHING else going on all we can muster is 4k?
    Maybe that's it. Maybe I'm just setting myself up for disappointment. There is no reason, in my mind, why a school with the basketball history that UL has should not outdraw it's baseball team.
    I've also given up hope of having any kind of student support. There might have been 40 students there, and those there may as well have been someplace else. It's like they are too cool to be involved in the game. They don't even bother to cheer.
    Semester starts the 10th.

Default Re: MBB Final: Louisiana 81, Coastal 64

I'm predicting 5K this coming Saturday vs. ULM.... Students back in school. Basketball was competing with Rio Ball last night. Only thing out there that I'm aware of is last weekend of deer rifle season - at least in our area.

Bo Lamar, Roy Ebron, Wilbert Loftin, Peyton Townsend, Fred Saunders, what a team. I was a student then and the section immediately behind the opposition bench was all students, every game. We were always rabid and doing everything possible to make those poor players miserable and trying to get inside their heads. Probably politically-incorrect to do such a thing today.

Quote Originally Posted by cajundiehard View Post
    I'm predicting 5K this coming Saturday vs. ULM.... Students back in school. Basketball was competing with Rio Ball last night. Only thing out there that I'm aware of is last weekend of deer rifle season - at least in our area.
    With the students back and reunion weekend, I think we will get 6k

Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunfever View Post
    With the students back and reunion weekend, I think we will get 6k
    I would be shocked if that occurred and happy with 5K. There is a week for the administration to support this game and emphasis should be on returning students. Basketball administration will be dealing with the reunion and preparing for the game. Therefore promotion responsibility needs to lie with athletic administration.

CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

UL Basketball Re: MBB Final: Louisiana 81, Coastal 64

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Hope you are right about fans coming if we show we are special. These days, one loss and you are not special however. I also don't know if it is possible to bring a name team in here in the current environment. A decade ago we would easily had over 6000 people for a home game if we had a 13 and 3 record regardless of the competition. Of course we have had too many average years and people gravitated to other things. We may need several years like this one has been so far before people come back in significant numbers. What I wonder is how people will react when a tough period arrives. We play UTA on ESPN3 on the road on January 18. They drilled us there ast year and a bad loss there will have plenty of people saying we always lay eggs in the spotlight. Let's stay with the guys through the bad stretches and they may come through in the end.
    Mike, 16, and 29 point loses plus a 9 point loss doesn't spell special. Special is what's gonna move the 21st century. But, and this is a big but, if we can keep ravaging the SBC people will want to be part of that.

At what point do they need to open the 200 level sections (formerly 300's)?

CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunfanatico View Post
    Bo Lamar, Roy Ebron, Wilbert Loftin, Peyton Townsend, Fred Saunders, what a team. I was a student then and the section immediately behind the opposition bench was all students, every game. We were always rabid and doing everything possible to make those poor players miserable and trying to get inside their heads. Probably politically-incorrect to do such a thing today.
    I was there to man, and those crowds were similar in Lamar's sophomore year for fall semester. They started building in spring semester. Junior year you had to be there an hour early just for an opportunity to be squeezed into bleachers.

Also remember before Lamar we were building a legacy with Winkler, and Ivory who owned the NBA legend
    Elvin Hays https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elvin_Hayes.

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=CajunEXPRESS;1041800]Mike, 16, and 29 point loses plus a 9 point loss doesn't spell special. Special is what's gonna move the 21st century. But, and this is a big but, if we can keep ravaging the SBC people will want to be part of that.[/QUOTE

You need a happy pill.......enjoy the show, get some cheese & whine later.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    Semester starts the 10th.
    And Rio had its ball last night.....one of the biggest. I know that impacted 4 of the regulars I usually go with.

I'm having a blast. We're winning so easily I'm having a hard time getting pizzed at the blind zebras.

Default Re: MBB GameON: Louisiana vs. Coastal Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by Policarp View Post
    My only slight concern in watching the game tonight.......LA played with double digit lead for last 30 min of game. Nearly all minutes with only a 7 man rotation (Stalcup a couple cameo minutes)......IMO to make a modest NCAA run, need a little more trust in the next 2 guys, foul troubles will be random. Only Stove scored off the bench. Russell controlled ball well......he needs to be able to slash/penetrate to expand to be more than just a long range jump shooter. No PJ Hardy sighting tonight at all? Last thought.......with Bryce Washington graduating, we need a strong PF addition to team next year to keep this party going.
    With Miller starting in place of an injured Gant, the bench got a little thinner. I was surprised Davis did not make it into the game but not Hardy. Cedric is taking the playing time minutes that P.J. had last year.

Doesn't matter who we schedule non conference as far as attendance is concerned. And, it hasn't mattered for the better part of 20 years now.

We drew more for Nicholls at the reopening at the Dome than we did for Tennessee and Nevada when they were nationally ranked.

ZoomZoom is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunfanatico View Post
    Yup. Many would be banned for life today.

Speaking of which, the student that took the half court shot last night, when he was asked if there was anyone he wanted to give a shout out to (or whatever)...he dropped "build the wall".....lmao....they tried to walk it back but he didnt cooperate.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    I'm having a blast. We're winning so easily I'm having a hard time getting pizzed at the blind zebras.
    And they were definitely blind last night!

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Yup. Many would be banned for life today.

Speaking of which, the student that took the half court shot last night, when he was asked if there was anyone he wanted to give a shout out to (or whatever)...he dropped "build the wall".....lmao....they tried to walk it back but he didnt cooperate.
    Couple that with the guy who ripped his shirt off during the flex cam...that's quality entertainment!

Quote Originally Posted by cajundiehard View Post
    At what point do they need to open the 200 level sections (formerly 300's)?
    I think the bottom bowl holds 6,000.

Believe no 200 sold until all 6K in bottom sold. I'd be pretty upset if I had to buy a ticket in the ends with center court available

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    It is kind of astounding to see how few students show up to games these days. And even more astounding to see how quiet they are. I suspect this is a generational thing and a sign of the times. With social media you don't have to go places to meet up with friends and meet new people. And I suspect this is partly to blame for the lower attendance among non-students. That, and when you broadcast your games in HD for free on the internet, you can't be surprised when people decide to make the easy and cheaper choice to stay home and watch it.
    Moving students from behind the opposing bench was a death knell for support.

Football is next if they aren't moved back to the traditional Red Zone.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast