Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: UCF..

Default Re: UCF..

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJack55 View Post
    This. Keep it simple.
    It doesn't get more complicated by adding one more round. If FCS can put 24 teams in the playoffs then the FBS has no excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    It doesn't get more complicated by adding one more round. If FCS can put 24 teams in the playoffs then the FBS has no excuse.
    I wasn't necessary talking about the amount of rounds, I meant how they pick teams to get in.

FCS has become so irrelevant. I cannot tell you other than whatever Dakota Bison and Nicholls made the playoffs. Can't tell you who won it all. Unless someone here on RP follows that and posts the winner, I may never know....or care.

Legitimate question, is there another D1 team sport where the conference champion doesn't have at least a playing chance to win a national championship? We can debate basketball tourney champ vs reg season, but regardless somebody from every conference gets a chance to prove it on the field/court.

Hell EVERY other level of football, amateur and pro they do it that way. Why do we have to have something different for D1 football. People say because of the competitive difference...but the way it's done is one of the drivers of that competitive difference. They stack the deck, then use the stacked deck as an excuse for excluding half the teams from consideration.

NM

I said this years ago, 8 is simple.

5 P5 conference Champions
    Best G5 ranked team
    2 At large positions

You could use the same concept for 16 if you wanted, but is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by raginrayne View Post
    it was in 1941. alabama 9-2 finished the season ranked number 20 by the AP. the houlgate system named alabama its national championship for the 41 season. the minnesota golden gophers are listed as the national champions by the AP. a little tidbit about that season. UL, then known as SLI, was the season opener for the tide that year.
    Had Boomer run out of eligibilty by then ? Happy New Year everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJack55 View Post
    I wasn't necessary talking about the amount of rounds, I meant how they pick teams to get in.
    It becomes a lot easier picking 16 instead of 8.

Genius will make hiring the next staff that much easier
    and the PR from this outweighs the cost 11 out of 10 times

It becomes a lot easier picking 16 instead of 8.
    I don't think that is true at all. Unless there is "clear cut criteria" and the selection process is not subjective. the further you go down the list, the harder it becomes to separate the teams. Going to 16 would only P_i_s_s of #17 instead of #5 now or #9 if you go to 8 teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Duggie35 View Post
    I don't think that is true at all. Unless there is "clear cut criteria" and the selection process is not subjective. the further you go down the list, the harder it becomes to separate the teams. Going to 16 would only P_i_s_s of #17 instead of #5 now or #9 if you go to 8 teams.
    Really? So per your logic we are going to tick off #99 because after all what you are saying "is there is a chance". Obviously a playoff has to stop somewhere. It could be as small as two teams so why even bother with four? I mean someone isn't going to be happy right?

Certainly the 17th team isn't going to be happy about not making it into the playoffs but the fans in general along with the media are going to be a lot more accepting of the national champion pulled from a pool of 16 over a pool of four.

I'm for anything that spurs change at the top. I don't mind UCF claiming they should have a seat at the table. What I do mind, is a team beating a 3 loss Auburn team and claiming they are the best team in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxCajuns View Post
    you go 8,

the power 5 champions
    the highest ranked g5 (UCF)
    two at large, whoever they may be.
    This is the ONLY realistic way the play offs expand (at least in the NEAR future).
    Because this is the ONLY way the P5 agrees - with a small bone to the best G5 as an 8th seed. This "bone" will be thrown only to satisfy the Anti trust issues of completely excluding a G5 team.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    ... What I do mind, is a team beating a 3 loss Auburn team and claiming they are the best team in the country.
    Nice spin. You are the best.

Really? So per your logic we are going to tick off #99 because after all what you are saying "is there is a chance". Obviously a playoff has to stop somewhere. It could be as small as two teams so why even bother with four? I mean someone isn't going to be happy right?

Certainly the 17th team isn't going to be happy about not making it into the playoffs but the fans in general along with the media are going to be a lot more accepting of the national champion pulled from a pool of 16 over a pool of four.

IMO, teams are either FBS or not. If a school is FBS, it should have a shot at a national championship. The FCS has a great model that shows it works. Why not follow it for a true FBS National Championship?

The College Football National Championship can't even vote to go from 4 to 8 teams as there are too many special interests and the P5 schools control everything. How is it that FBS football is the only college sport that does not have an NCAA champion?

FCS has a 24 team play-off is a great format. Eliminate all of the meaningless bowl games between 6-6 teams with dismal attendance and low ratings. These are ridiculous matchups anyway. There are 37 bowl games with 74 teams participating. Add the 4 Play-off teams and that is 78 out of 130 schools in bowl games or 60% of all FBS schools participating. Yet, only 4 schools get a shot at the National Championship.

With understanding that this will likely never happen, just for discussion purposes, here is how the FCS Championship works and how it might apply to FBS.

The FCS Playoffs went from 16 teams in 1986 to 20 teams in 2010 to 24 teams in 2013. It has a proven format that is all inclusive and works. There are no Conference Title games because of the 24 team playoff.

The FCS has created one of the more exciting playoff systems in college football, with a tournament-style bracket, similar to that of basketball's March Madness. Starting with a field of 24 teams, 10 automatically qualify as conference champions, and 14 others are selected on an at-large basis by the Division I Football Championship Committee. In this single-elimination style tournament, the top eight teams earn first-round byes.

Matchups are decided based on geographical proximity, with a special focus on conference opponents not facing off in the first and second rounds of the tournament (except for teams from the same conference that did not play against each other during the regular season.

After the first two rounds narrow the field down to eight, teams then head to the quarterfinals. From there, the top four teams head to the semifinals, and the winners make their way to the title game.

2017 FCS Playoff Time and locations
    Selection Show: Sunday, Nov. 19 (11 a.m. ET on ESPNU)
    Round 1: Saturday, Nov. 25 (TBA)
    Round 2: Saturday, Dec. 2 (TBA)
    Quarter-finals: Friday, Dec. 8 (TBA) and Saturday, Dec. 9 (TBA)
    Semi-finals: Friday, Dec. 15 (TBA) and Saturday, Dec. 16 (TBA)
    FCS Championship Game: Saturday, Jan. 6, 2018 (Noon ET on ESPN2 in Frisco, Texas)

2017 FCS Football Bracket

Now, apply this format to FBS and let's see, hypothetically, how it would work out. Here is one example.

10 Conference Champions:

Georgia, Clemson, Ohio State, USC, Oklahoma, UCF, Boise State, App State, Toledo, FAU

10 At-Large Teams (10 Conference Runner-ups)

Auburn, Memphis, Miami, Wisconsin, TCU, N. Texas, Akron, Fresno State, Stanford, Troy

4 At-Large Teams

Alabama, Penn State, Washington, Notre Dame

17 of the Top 25 teams are included as well as ALL FBS conference champs. Hopefully, we would do away with G5 and P5 conference references. If we do away with Conference Title Games, the winners of each Conference Division would comprise 20 of the 24 spots.

Use the major bowls for the playoff sites after the first two rounds which would occur at the top seeded team's home stadium.

Round 1 - 8 games, 16 teams at home field of higher seeded teams
    Round 2 - 8 games at home field of higher seeded teams
    Round 3 - Quarterfinal Games
    Round 4 - Semifinal Games
    Round 5 - Championship Game

7 Bowl Games used in Playoff - Rose, Sugar, Fiesta, Orange, Cotton, Peach, Citrus - for Quarterfinals (4), Semifinals (2) and Championship (1).

All of these games actually have meaning as they are playoff games and not meaningless bowl games. TV ratings would be up and a greater revenue pool created for all conferences and teams participating, similar to the NCAA Basketball Tournament. Maybe the NCAA could regain control of its major sport and have a true NCAA FBS Champion.

If Bowl Sponsors still want to have bowl games among the remaining 55 or so teams, they could still have them. It would be like the NIT is to the NCAA basketball tournament. All bowl games remain in tact with an expanded playoff format leading to a true national champion.

CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

UL Football Re: UCF..

One way to have a national championship is simple. NCAA has a playoff. 10 FBS and six at large. The P5 can choose to participate or be left out. Winner gets NCAA title.

If course the P5 would reject it, but let's do it and see what happens. Also immediately file an antitrust suit against major networks and self designated autonomous monopolistic P5.

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lexhead View Post
    How do we know that they aren't the best team? They beat everyone put in front of them, including the SEC West champ!

This is a BS rigged system. It is all about the money and not about the sport or the men playing. The money aspect was clearly demonstrated when Alabama was selected on branding alone, like OSU the year before. Yes, yes, I am aware that Alabama crockpotted Clemson, and looked good doing it. A single win is a snapshot in time, a conference championship rewards a body of work. Until and unless they ever get to a 16 team playoff with each conference champ making it in (and with some accomodation for independents and/or hardships) the G5 will continue to get screwed and held down by the moneyed programs. Period. I applaud UCF for naming themselves national champs, banner, parade and all. It only points out the folley of our current situation.
    Bingo! Hang the banner and get the full participating playoff discussion pushed to the hilt!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    I'm for anything that spurs change at the top. I don't mind UCF claiming they should have a seat at the table. What I do mind, is a team beating a 3 loss Auburn team and claiming they are the best team in the country.
    I'm not crowning UCF king of squat. But I support them hanging the banner and pushing the discussion on how/when the next phase of the playoff system happens.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tdncz View Post
    This is the ONLY realistic way the play offs expand (at least in the NEAR future).
    Because this is the ONLY way the P5 agrees - with a small bone to the best G5 as an 8th seed. This "bone" will be thrown only to satisfy the Anti trust issues of completely excluding a G5 team.
    They're not going from 4 to 16. They will certainly go to 8 in the next phase - if/when. But once 8 happens, it will become clear that 16 will work, include worthy candidates, and make a monsterous amount of money.

Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    One way to have a national championship is simple. NCAA has a playoff. 10 FBS and six at large. The P5 can choose to participate or be left out. Winner gets NCAA title.

If course the P5 would reject it, but let's do it and see what happens. Also immediately file an antitrust suit against major networks and self designated autonomous monopolistic P5.
    YES!

The P5 are bluffing. Have the NCAA implement a championship playoff. They will throw tantrums like little children, but they will go along. They will not leave the protection of the NCAA. If they do split, let them. They will come crawling back once the lawsuits start flying from every direction.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast