_ _ _ _
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: UCF..

Default UCF..

I love the marketing aspect of what they are saying, but this is going too far imo.

Clutch0364 is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: UCF..

Alabama claims a title in a year they finished 20th in the AP. I'm all for UCF doing this.

Why...it just highlights the ridiculous nature of the CFP system. An undefeated D1 team that beat #7 ranked Auburn, who beat BOTH teams in the title game, didn't even get remote consideration for the playoff. I wish the AP would vote them #1 like they did with USC when LSU won in 2003. I don't care if they really aren't the best team...because the system is so biased.

How do we know that they aren't the best team? They beat everyone put in front of them, including the SEC West champ!

This is a BS rigged system. It is all about the money and not about the sport or the men playing. The money aspect was clearly demonstrated when Alabama was selected on branding alone, like OSU the year before. Yes, yes, I am aware that Alabama crockpotted Clemson, and looked good doing it. A single win is a snapshot in time, a conference championship rewards a body of work. Until and unless they ever get to a 16 team playoff with each conference champ making it in (and with some accomodation for independents and/or hardships) the G5 will continue to get screwed and held down by the moneyed programs. Period. I applaud UCF for naming themselves national champs, banner, parade and all. It only points out the folley of our current situation.

raginsaints is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Teams claim all sorts of national titles. ____ it, hang the banner

Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.

Before the BCS, if an undefeated, nationally ranked school beat the #7 school in the country in a Bowl as big as the Peach Bowl, they claimed a National title.

UCF has every right to hang that banner because any "National Championship" banner hung by Alabama or Clemson would be just as mythical.

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364 View Post
    Alabama claims a title in a year they finished 20th in the AP. I'm all for UCF doing this.
    What year was that?

Quote Originally Posted by Lexhead View Post
    How do we know that they aren't the best team? They beat everyone put in front of them, including the SEC West champ!

This is a BS rigged system. It is all about the money and not about the sport or the men playing. The money aspect was clearly demonstrated when Alabama was selected on branding alone, like OSU the year before. Yes, yes, I am aware that Alabama crockpotted Clemson, and looked good doing it. A single win is a snapshot in time, a conference championship rewards a body of work. Until and unless they ever get to a 16 team playoff with each conference champ making it in (and with some accomodation for independents and/or hardships) the G5 will continue to get screwed and held down by the moneyed programs. Period. I applaud UCF for naming themselves national champs, banner, parade and all. It only points out the folley of our current situation.
    Yes! 16 teams. All conf champs, plus 6 wildcards for Independents and to minimize P5 whining. No more than 2 from a conference.

it was in 1941. alabama 9-2 finished the season ranked number 20 by the AP. the houlgate system named alabama its national championship for the 41 season. the minnesota golden gophers are listed as the national champions by the AP. a little tidbit about that season. UL, then known as SLI, was the season opener for the tide that year.

Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    Why...it just highlights the ridiculous nature of the CFP system. An undefeated D1 team that beat #7 ranked Auburn, who beat BOTH teams in the title game, didn't even get remote consideration for the playoff. I wish the AP would vote them #1 like they did with USC when LSU won in 2003. I don't care if they really aren't the best team...because the system is so biased.
    I don't disagree with this, I think an expansion is going to happen let's just hope that they don;t expand and then still not let a G5 in, but let's remember that UCF beat Auburn after the top 4 were picked.

I know I am in the minority here, but In my opinion, undefeated or not, their resume didn't warrant a Top 4 ranking at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    Before the BCS, if an undefeated, nationally ranked school beat the #7 school in the country in a Bowl as big as the Peach Bowl, they claimed a National title.
    Which is a reason why they evolved to the BCS system and now the playoff to eliminate this foolishness .

Anything less than a 16 team playoff will not be viewed as legitimate in many people's eyes. This really isn't that difficult. IF you eliminate conference championship games you are really only talking about one more game being played for the eventual national championship.

Quote Originally Posted by raginrayne View Post
    it was in 1941. alabama 9-2 finished the season ranked number 20 by the AP. the houlgate system named alabama its national championship for the 41 season. the minnesota golden gophers are listed as the national champions by the AP. a little tidbit about that season. UL, then known as SLI, was the season opener for the tide that year.
    Correct, someone else "claimed" them national champions. UCF is just claiming themselves, if that is the case any school who went underfeated ever can just claim them self national champions lol.

Tulane...1998 National Champions!

I do enjoy the chaos this is creating though!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by raginrayne View Post
    Two years later UL started the season 4 weeks late, went undefeated.

LSU and Alabama refused to schedule UL on an open date.

Louisiana 1943/44 National Champs.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Two years later UL started the season 4 weeks late, went undefeated.

LSU and Alabama refused to schedule UL on an open date.

Louisiana 1943/44 National Champs.
    Dilly Dilly!

Blog Entries

only for our group is 8 team playoff and we would all fight for numbers 7 and 8. If we lucky

In a 16 team playoff format, give a bye to top seeds. Agree the conference championship games would need to go.

you go 8,

the power 5 champions
    the highest ranked g5 (UCF)
    two at large, whoever they may be.

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxCajuns View Post
    you go 8,

the power 5 champions
    This. Keep it simple.

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxCajuns View Post
    you go 8,

the power 5 champions
    UL, La Tech, Notre Dame and BYU are undefeated. Who gets left out? I mean if we don't get the final pick :-)

I don't understand what's complicated with 16 teams? You just need one less regular season game.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast