_ _ _ _
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: KATC Sports

Default Re: KATC Sports

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    The reporter who wrote the article below and the script for on air at KATC needs to be fired on the basis of ignorance. All last night, the tease was thrown out at breaks about the newly "renovated" St. Pius Church, and repeated in the news story. It's a new building!!!!! The old church is next door!!! Someone watches too much HGTV and DIY!

It's not just a sports problem. A mic and a camera doesn't make people qualified.

http://www.katc.com/story/37156029/s...ase-new-church
    That's not good. I'll take care of it.

Growing up I spent a lot of time at my grandparents, as a result watching local and national news on TV and reading the paper were things that were common. The lesson for me was to always be informed about what is going on locally, regionally, nationally, and internationally. That's a lesson that I still practice today. Even with the internet to turn to, I still watch the local and national news on TV.

My biggest gripe with news media today is in the rush to get the story out you see a severe lack of editing. I see it on a daily basis with stories posted online and on the ticker at the bottom of the screen.

With that said, I think KATC does the best job covering news locally.

CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by IndiaPaleAle View Post
    I'm sorry for not replying sooner. I've been working the graveyard shift all week, so I'm answering while I can. I'll take this point-by-point.

1) KATC's over-the-air signal strength is stronger today than what it was in 1990, allowing viewers over a wider area to watch the station. In fact, I believe KATC's signal is now stronger than that of KLFY, whose signal took a nosedive about a decade ago. Those factors, along with a much larger population in the Lafayette DMA now than in 1990, have resulted in KATC to become the dominant station in this market in terms of newscast viewership. Having a superior product to the other stations also helps.

2) Our audience is further fragmented today than it was in 1990. Back then, terrestrial TV was competing with only cable and satellite. Now, we're not only competing with cable and satellite for viewers, we're also competing with web, social media, mobile, and over-the-top technology (Alexa, etc.). The comments on this thread are proof of this. That's why broadcasters across the U. S.--KATC included--are making a concerted effort to boost their online, social media, and over-the-top presence. When you hear the slogan "KATC is everywhere," it's referring not only to all of the communities in our viewing area, but also to these non-traditional means of spreading information.

3) This is not a "scam" to screw the sports department or viewers of sports content. I will admit that the new format is a work in progress. We're trying to figure out how to best implement it. I'll repeat my previous plea: Give us some time to work out the kinks.

4) As for people losing faith in the Fourth Estate: Public media literacy would greatly help in that department. I'll save that rant for another day and another forum.
    Firstly, I'm not calling out KATC, but the
    local news. To bury a sports segment in the general news is a scam to me.
    I'd like to know when I might expect a news story about sports. Maybe I misunderstood your original post.

Additionally I wasn't talking about individual stations gains and loses in viewers. I'm guessing that local news is getting fewer eyes proportional to those in the nineties.

ZoomZoom is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by IndiaPaleAle View Post
    That's not good. I'll take care of it.
    Thanks. It made EVERYONE look bad, from desk reporter on down.

It's the world we live in. Someone uses a word wrong, like in this case, renovation, and it sticks.

Saw the edit. Good job.

DaddyCajun is offline Dig deep UL will Prosper! Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Firstly, I'm not calling out KATC, but the
    local news. To bury a sports segment in the general news is a scam to me.
    I'd like to know when I might expect a news story about sports. Maybe I misunderstood your original post.

Additionally I wasn't talking about individual stations gains and loses in viewers. I'm guessing that local news is getting fewer eyes proportional to those in the nineties.
    I like KATC! Keeps me grounded and home, a place I love! So many Things are changing, how can something stay the same yet change to meet the ever changing media portals and their varied viewers.

Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.

It was a glorious day.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    It was a glorious day.

Great post. Thanks for sharing!

Alrighty then...

I guess Turbine is very sensitive today, can't have two south Arkansas kissing.

Quote Originally Posted by TonaldDrump View Post
    I guess Turbine is very sensitive today, can't have two south Arkansas kissing.
    You're lucky you are still allowed to have that atrocious avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJack55 View Post
    True, but Turbine thought it was ok to talk dirty to girls on the softball field but loves to edit people's post. SMH

If it was Reagan sucking on the nipple of the CEO of Northrup Gruman it would be banned in a New York minute.

True, but Turbine thought it was ok to talk dirty to girls on the softball field but loves to edit people's post. SMH

Blog Entries

Believe me, I have better things to do with my time, on both counts.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Believe me, I have better things to do with my time, on both counts.
    Okay

Dilly Dilly!

Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    If it was Reagan sucking on the nipple of the CEO of Northrup Gruman it would be banned in a New York minute.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    Does the back of the shirt say "while I swallow this load from Boeing"?

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    The difference is Reagan was a x-president. His advatar is a coulple insignificant loud mouth blow hards that are on the wrong side of every argument I have ever heard them in.

Quote Originally Posted by FacelessBuffoon View Post
    The difference is Reagan was a x-president. His advatar is a coulple insignificant loud mouth blow hards that are on the wrong side of every argument I have ever heard them in.
    Reagan was a corporate _____, who fleeced an entire generation of Americans into thinking he was a patriot.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast