Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: KATC Sports

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Twitter or Instagram will never be my thing. Facebook, eh, I don't care what or where people ate supper.

I only pay attention to KATC or such if it's game day or the late evening right after the game. If it's purple and puke, I turn it off.

Dilly, dilly! From a beer commercial, one in a blue can. Don't remember the brand...lol.
    I hear you. I used to say the same thing. I deleted my Facebook account years ago(too much drama). Facebook will be like MySpace soon. Dead and gone. I use twitter for sports and news and Instagram to just share a few photos of my kids with friends and family. Google for the rest of sports updates.

Quote Originally Posted by FacelessBuffoon View Post
    Everyday this week they have had 1 story on the sports segment.
    I was told they were cutting sports from the shows during the week. They have a story here and there sprinkled throughout the week

Default Re: KATC Sports

It's the main reason Travis left. Was constantly told sports didn't matter in tv newscasts.

CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Local TV news matters
    Less and less.

Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    It's the main reason Travis left. Was constantly told sports didn't matter in tv newscasts.
    I'd love to know who your source is. Travis got out because he wanted a more normal schedule so he could have more time with his young daughter. Sports most definitely matters. Ask any producer who's had to work on a slow news day (like today) and needed help filling a newscast.

As for the format changes: The sports format changes only affect the weekday 6 p.m. newscasts. During those programs, we will highlight the biggest sports headline(s) of the day in the main newscast and briefly preview what's happening in sports that night. We will continue to have the traditional sports block in our weeknight 10 p.m. and all weekend newscasts.

Give it some time. If you don't like what you see after giving the new format a chance, let the newsroom know. Complaining on this board won't do any good.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    I disagree. KATC is worlds better ever since that 7th rate producer who posts here from time to time left.
    I miss that 7th-rate producer. He still holds the world-record time for producing a 5 p.m. newscast.

Quote Originally Posted by IndiaPaleAle View Post
    I'd love to know who your source is. Travis got out because he wanted a more normal schedule so he could have more time with his young daughter. Sports most definitely matters. Ask any producer who's had to work on a slow news day (like today) and needed help filling a newscast.

As for the format changes: The sports format changes only affect the weekday 6 p.m. newscasts. During those programs, we will highlight the biggest sports headline(s) of the day in the main newscast and briefly preview what's happening in sports that night. We will continue to have the traditional sports block in our weeknight 10 p.m. and all weekend newscasts.

Give it some time. If you don't like what you see after giving the new format a chance, let the newsroom know. Complaining on this board won't do any good.

I miss that 7th-rate producer. He still holds the world-record time for producing a 5 p.m. newscast.
    I GUESS I miss a certain Executive Producer. You're certainly better than the one I have now.

Have been in the tv biz for 30 years, including 10+at KATC...trust me, despite the alternative sources, there will always be some form of local news, weather, and yes, local sports available on air in local markets. As bad as it may be in Lafayette, its not going away. Local news is the cornerstone for station revenue, while it may change, its not going away no matter how many begin to search out other sources of information...got a long way to go before that becomes critical mass

Quote Originally Posted by nathancpike View Post
    I GUESS I miss a certain Executive Producer. You're certainly better than the one I have now.
    I GUESS I'm not allowed to make fun of you and IPA around these parts.

I miss that 7th-rate producer. He still holds the world-record time for producing a 5 p.m. newscast
    Are you saying people actually stay up to watch sports at 10? I get all my local news on the 6 broadcast and would appreciate a full sports segment. No worries I can still get it on TV 10.

raginsaints is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Prayers sent if you're expecting news from George Faust. The laziest man in show biz

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    Are you saying people actually stay up to watch sports at 10? I get all my local news on the 6 broadcast and would appreciate a full sports segment. No worries I can still get it on TV 10.
    Forgive me if I wasn't clear in my previous explanation. We will still have sports during the weeknight 6 p.m. newscasts. The presentation will be different. Instead of the traditional standalone sports block at the end of the broadcast, sports will be presented within the newscast as a news story. The top sports story of the day will be featured, and the events happening later in the evening will be quickly previewed.

As I mentioned earlier, the traditional sports blocks will remain in the weeknight 10 p.m. newscasts and in all weekend newscasts.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    I GUESS I'm not allowed to make fun of you and IPA around these parts.
    To quote a Mills Lane . . .
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forgive me if I wasn't clear in my previous explanation. We will still have sports during the weeknight 6 p.m. newscasts. The presentation will be different. Instead of the traditional standalone sports block at the end of the broadcast, sports will be presented within the newscast as a news story. The top sports story of the day will be featured, and the events happening later in the evening will be quickly previewed.

As I mentioned earlier, the traditional sports blocks will remain in the weeknight 10 p.m. newscasts and in all weekend newscasts.

To quote a Mills Lane . . .
    So does this mean less,more, or the same sports coverage overall than the original format?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJack55 View Post
    So does this mean less,more, or the same sports coverage overall than the original format?
    At best, the new format will allow us to cover more events because our sports anchors won't be tied down to produce a full 6 p.m. sportscast on the weekdays. At worst, the overall amount of coverage will stay the same.

At best, the new format will allow us to cover more events because our sports anchors won't be tied down to produce a full 6 p.m. sportscast on the weekdays. At worst, the overall amount of coverage will stay the same.
    Thanks

CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

IMO the local news is watched by ever decreasing numbers and increasing ages. I'm currently watching local news only when I'm looking for a breaking story. Mostly my attention is created on the radio. I'm even listening to far fewer local programs.

I'd like to see y'all provide 1990 vs 2017 numbers. Finally your stations scam of not providing a dedicated time for sports screams that you're now using sports as a viewing tease. People are losing faith in the 4th estate, and local news will eventually feel the apathy.

I have worked in the local TV industry and sports is the low man on the totem pole.... weather is the most important... sports is really an extra fluf in the news business....SAD!

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    IMO the local news is watched by ever decreasing numbers and increasing ages. I'm currently watching local news only when I'm looking for a breaking story. Mostly my attention is created on the radio. I'm even listening to far fewer local programs.

I'd like to see y'all provide 1990 vs 2017 numbers. Finally your stations scam of not providing a dedicated time for sports screams that you're now using sports as a viewing tease. People are losing faith in the 4th estate, and local news will eventually feel the apathy.
    Only time I watch local news is katc Friday night football .. and that's because its nostalgic trip

Only time I watch the news is when we're tracking a hurricane in the gulf or other severe weather event, and I watch it posted on Social Media - not on the broadcast.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post

I'm sorry for not replying sooner. I've been working the graveyard shift all week, so I'm answering while I can. I'll take this point-by-point.

1) KATC's over-the-air signal strength is stronger today than what it was in 1990, allowing viewers over a wider area to watch the station. In fact, I believe KATC's signal is now stronger than that of KLFY, whose signal took a nosedive about a decade ago. Those factors, along with a much larger population in the Lafayette DMA now than in 1990, have resulted in KATC to become the dominant station in this market in terms of newscast viewership. Having a superior product to the other stations also helps.

2) Our audience is further fragmented today than it was in 1990. Back then, terrestrial TV was competing with only cable and satellite. Now, we're not only competing with cable and satellite for viewers, we're also competing with web, social media, mobile, and over-the-top technology (Alexa, etc.). The comments on this thread are proof of this. That's why broadcasters across the U. S.--KATC included--are making a concerted effort to boost their online, social media, and over-the-top presence. When you hear the slogan "KATC is everywhere," it's referring not only to all of the communities in our viewing area, but also to these non-traditional means of spreading information.

3) This is not a "scam" to screw the sports department or viewers of sports content. I will admit that the new format is a work in progress. We're trying to figure out how to best implement it. I'll repeat my previous plea: Give us some time to work out the kinks.

4) As for people losing faith in the Fourth Estate: Public media literacy would greatly help in that department. I'll save that rant for another day and another forum.

The reporter who wrote the article below and the script for on air at KATC needs to be fired on the basis of ignorance. All last night, the tease was thrown out at breaks about the newly "renovated" St. Pius Church, and repeated in the news story. It's a new building!!!!! The old church is next door!!! Someone watches too much HGTV and DIY!

It's not just a sports problem. A mic and a camera doesn't make people qualified.

http://www.katc.com/story/37156029/s...ase-new-church

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast