Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 396

Thread: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

  1. #161
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.
    Posts
    6,235

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Padding your win total can help in recruiting.
    C'mon Turbine. Are you actually trying to tell me that DII games HELP recruiting?

  2. #162
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    392

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    And lets' remember you have to get the other team to agree.

    NMSU was brought up.

    They have an auto four games every year against UNM and UTEP. They don't have NEARLY as much trouble filling out a schedule.


  3. #163
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    OAK RIDGE, NC
    Posts
    3,800

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    And lets' remember you have to get the other team to agree.

    NMSU was brought up.

    They have an auto four games every year against UNM and UTEP. They don't have NEARLY as much trouble filling out a schedule.
    Right the one thing that all of these guys who are blasting our schedule fail to realize is that it takes 2 to tango, so to speak. We can "WANT" to play anyone of of 350 other D-1 teams. But for the game to actually occur, that team needs to have an opening for the date you are looking for and more importantly actually agree to want to play you. I am sure their are allot of teams that we "WANT" to play us and many of them don't "WANT" to play us. And their a lot of teams that might "WANT" to play us, but we don't "WANT" to play them. Or finally the 3rd piece to the puzzle is what "TYPE" of game to you "WANT" vs what "TYPE of GAMES" to they "WANT". Meaning you might want a home and home, or just a home, but they might want a 2 for 1. That is where the contract breaks down.

    It is not always as simple as I "WANT" to play more Top 150 RPI teams.

  4. #164
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    South & East of Cajun Field
    Posts
    1,532

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Historically the AD doesn't do the MBB schedule. Y'all can bet your bottom dollar he sets the tone, budget, and expectations.

    Unfortunately some of you guys keep thinking THIS year,last year, us. Think conference, strategic five years goals.

    We don't need a wholesale change in scheduling. UL needs to change two or three games a year. The SBC each needs to follow suit. Doing this would make a big difference in our champs chances.

    Sure I love beating teams by 37. It's just not going to help us 3 games in March, and hopefully 3 games into the Big Dance.

    Again for a few knuckleheads I don't dislike Bob Marlin. I don't hope he fails, just the opposite I hope he incredibly successful. He's been here most a decade. He seems to have had a large sample of mediocrity. I do want better, and right now his mediocre career is tolarated. Let's see if 2017/18 results in better? Until it does I'm not sold on the guy. Weak scheduling, never finishing in top two regular season, one top three, isn't a resume I'd hire, why'd I want to keep renewing that.
    There's a new sheriff in town. All the pieces are in place for us to have one heck of a season in basketball this year. If Marlin doesn't come close with the talent we have, I bet he's going to feel some heat............assuming he hasn't already.

  5. #165
    VObserver's Avatar
    VObserver is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Abbeville, LA
    Posts
    5,591

    UL Basketball Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    And 2 years later, a dumpster fire, dragging the conference down.

    Sustainable success is what we both desire.
    Because their coach got hired away, and they made a bad hire to replace him. Beard was the best coach in the conference by a huge margin. And by huge, I mean he could trade rosters with Hunter or Marlin and beat them with their players, then trade back and beat them with his.

  6. #166
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    19,360
    Blog Entries
    2

    UL Basketball Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    Then you play a couple more road money games.

    Kill 2 birds with one stone. Pay bills and boost RPI.

    Heck, we just might win one, and I'll guarantee you we'll be a better club come tourney time.

    Then, you might have a little left over to purchase a good home opponent.
    I think the time is now for your idea, however if Marlin had jumped the gun with your plan when he first got here (or even a few years later) it would have been death sentence 2.0 for UL Basketball.

    Marlin is handling certain portions needed in the rebuilding of UL basketball satisfactorily.

    1) Pad the record
    2) Recruit players.
    3) Pad the record some more.
    4) Recruit even better players
    Next steps:
    5) Win some regular and post season SBC titles
    6) Improve OOC scheduling.
    7) Play every year in the NCAA
    8) * If 7 misses, Never turn down lesser post season experience.
    9) Play no one higher than a 4-seed in the NCAA tournament.
    10) * Play anybody anywhere in a lesser tournament.

    * There is no substitute for "__ Consecutive Postseason Appearances" in recruiting.

  7. #167
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    19,360
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    C'mon Turbine. Are you actually trying to tell me that DII games HELP recruiting?
    Absolutely, because "20 wins in each of the last 5-years" has never been researched in a recruiting visit conversation.

  8. #168
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    Then you play a couple more road money games.

    Kill 2 birds with one stone. Pay bills and boost RPI.

    Heck, we just might win one, and I'll guarantee you we'll be a better club come tourney time.

    Then, you might have a little left over to purchase a good home opponent.
    We replace those home games with your suggested money games then we have people complaining we don't have enough home games to reward our fans...just like the football schedule...

  9. #169
    Just1More's Avatar
    Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    15,880
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragin4U View Post
    BS--The same complaints over and over is not intelligent discourse. Its easy to say we want to bring in Wichita State, Valpo, etc. The reasons why its hard to do have been laid out but we still persist with the same tired argument. It doesnt take an intelligent poster to write "We want a better schedule". I think everyone does.
    What really seems to be the reason for the posts is to take continued shots at our basketball coach. Posters have a right to do that and I will continue to exercise my right to call it out 2 or 3 times a year.
    I think this site has had... and largely due to VO and Express's "complaints"... very solid discussions on basketball scheduling and RPI. It's not an easy nut to crack. But a lot of the criticism is valid. I happen to like Bob Marlin and how he's managed the teams... so how this indicts him is irrelevant to me. I am interested in reading what measures are available (or not) to improve our RPI. I realize our conference is dragging us down... but we are part of that drag... not just the victim.

    I'll say this about Marlin... if we are required to be 27-5 to be the least bit relevant... or always be the champion of the conference tourney to be relevant... we have to have a coach that can deliver it. A gaudy record that cannot deliver a nice post season appearance... or places us at a 15 seed in the NCAAs... is a complete BS payoff for UL basketball. Either hammer out what it takes to improve on that... or quit wasting money on MBB.

  10. #170
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.
    Posts
    6,235

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunJeaux View Post
    We replace those home games with your suggested money games then we have people complaining we don't have enough home games to reward our fans...just like the football schedule...
    ..., and they're BOTH WRONG.

  11. #171
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    19,360
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    I think this site has had... and largely due to VO and Express's "complaints"... very solid discussions on basketball scheduling and RPI. It's not an easy nut to crack. But a lot of the criticism is valid. I happen to like Bob Marlin and how he's managed the teams... so how this indicts him is irrelevant to me. I am interested in reading what measures are available (or not) to improve our RPI. I realize our conference is dragging us down... but we are part of that drag... not just the victim.

    I'll say this about Marlin... if we are required to be 27-5 to be the least bit relevant... or always be the champion of the conference tourney to be relevant... we have to have a coach that can deliver it. A gaudy record that cannot deliver a nice post season appearance... or places us at a 15 seed in the NCAAs... is a complete BS payoff for UL basketball. Either hammer out what it takes to improve on that... or quit wasting money on MBB.
    Historically if you look at the teams that have had the longest coaching tenures while maintaining losing records. Zero to little discussions on the topic.

  12. #172
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    1,334

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    nm
    Zoom....wondering what your "nm" stands for? No More, No Matter, Not Much, Never Mind, Nice Move, Near Miss, New Mexico....?

  13. #173
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    392

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    I think this site has had... and largely due to VO and Express's "complaints"... very solid discussions on basketball scheduling and RPI. It's not an easy nut to crack. But a lot of the criticism is valid. I happen to like Bob Marlin and how he's managed the teams... so how this indicts him is irrelevant to me. I am interested in reading what measures are available (or not) to improve our RPI. I realize our conference is dragging us down... but we are part of that drag... not just the victim.

    I'll say this about Marlin... if we are required to be 27-5 to be the least bit relevant... or always be the champion of the conference tourney to be relevant... we have to have a coach that can deliver it. A gaudy record that cannot deliver a nice post season appearance... or places us at a 15 seed in the NCAAs... is a complete BS payoff for UL basketball. Either hammer out what it takes to improve on that... or quit wasting money on MBB.
    I had a boss that used to say "Don't tell me problems, tell me solutions."
    Our esteemed posters are great at complaining. They offer nothing plausible in a way of solution.

  14. #174
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.
    Posts
    6,235

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    Zoom....wondering what your "nm" stands for? No More, No Matter, Not Much, Never Mind, Nice Move, Near Miss, New Mexico....?
    Obviously, he is referring to the Nebulous Meteor of 1969.

    Harvard was all over this back in the day.

    http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1969Astr....6..177H

    Common knowledge dude.

  15. #175
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    19,360
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    I had a boss that used to say "Don't tell me problems, tell me solutions."
    Our esteemed posters are great at complaining. They offer nothing plausible in a way of solution.
    Not true over the years many "superficially pleasing or persuasive" formulas have been presented.

    But you are correct in that we may never know if they were in fact solutions, due to non implementation.

  16. #176
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.
    Posts
    6,235

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Here's a quick reference guide for those that are confused in basketball scheduling.

    Every time you feel the need to schedule "Name I've never heard before" State College and Arts Institute, put the cell phone down and pick up the last AP Top-20 you can find. Start at 1 and work your way down. Pick up the Cell Phone. Call them. Sooner or later, you will find somebody on the end that says Yes.

    Also, find a historical RPI for the last 5 years and the last 10 years. In scheduling the rest of your non-conference schedule, do not schedule anyone that has a historical RPI of 200 or lower that appears on BOTH lists.

    You're welcome.


  17. #177
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    19,360
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    Here's a quick reference guide for those that are confused in basketball scheduling.

    Every time you feel the need to schedule "Name I've never heard before" State College and Arts Institute, put the cell phone down and pick up the last AP Top-20 you can find. Start at 1 and work your way down. Pick up the Cell Phone. Call them. Sooner or later, you will find somebody on the end that says Yes.

    Also, find a historical RPI for the last 5 years and the last 10 years. In scheduling the rest of your non-conference schedule, do not schedule anyone that has a historical RPI of 200 or lower that appears on BOTH lists.

    You're welcome.
    GoneGolfin, is that you?

  18. #178
    CajunAmos's Avatar
    CajunAmos is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    6,008

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    Here's a quick reference guide for those that are confused in basketball scheduling.

    Every time you feel the need to schedule "Name I've never heard before" State College and Arts Institute, put the cell phone down and pick up the last AP Top-20 you can find. Start at 1 and work your way down. Pick up the Cell Phone. Call them. Sooner or later, you will find somebody on the end that says Yes.

    Also, find a historical RPI for the last 5 years and the last 10 years. In scheduling the rest of your non-conference schedule, do not schedule anyone that has a historical RPI of 200 or lower that appears on BOTH lists.

    You're welcome.
    Not being sarcastic, but what makes you think they haven't done that?

  19. #179
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Youngsville, LA
    Posts
    1,152

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Okay. We're 10-2. 19 left. 9 home games. 10 Road. 18 conference games. What is our record in the final 19? I got 14-5. What you got?


  20. #180
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,964
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    Here's a quick reference guide for those that are confused in basketball scheduling.

    Every time you feel the need to schedule "Name I've never heard before" State College and Arts Institute, put the cell phone down and pick up the last AP Top-20 you can find. Start at 1 and work your way down. Pick up the Cell Phone. Call them. Sooner or later, you will find somebody on the end that says Yes.

    Also, find a historical RPI for the last 5 years and the last 10 years. In scheduling the rest of your non-conference schedule, do not schedule anyone that has a historical RPI of 200 or lower that appears on BOTH lists.

    You're welcome.
    Yeah but if every team does that then no one with good rpi would schedule us.

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •