_ _ _ _
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 396

Thread: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

  1. #121
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    9,054

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunStrong View Post
    I agree, but lets just make the TOURNEY first. #GeauxCajuns
    Actually, lets WIN the conference regular season first.

  2. #122
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    18

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    I like the coaches who focus on the FACT that they can be relevant on the national stage instead of inventing excuses as to why they can't.

    So, I like Robichaux, even though I don't like watching his teams play, and I like the new hires in Softball and Football.

    My favorite sport (among the ones that are most popular) is basketball; which is exactly why I am so highly critical of Marlin and his defeatist attitude.
    Appreciate the answer. I agree we need to play a tougher schedule in BBALL.

  3. #123
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,314

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    Go check the RPI of the bottom half of the West Coast Conference over the last 5 years. That has not seemed to hurt Gonzaga or St. Mary's all that much.
    The WCC is a basketball conference. That's what they do. You are comparing apples to cannonballs.
    Gonzaga doesnt play football and I think St. Mary's is a D3 school for football.

  4. #124
    Just1More's Avatar
    Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    16,031
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragin4U View Post
    The positive is that when it comes to basketball posts, there are 2 or 3 posters that you can read one post and get the entire gist of ALL of their other posts. A real time saver.
    I go to games to watch My team. I would also like a better home schedule but the reality is that will be very tough to improve significantly for reasons that have been stated many times.
    I have the feeling Marlin could own Coach K and some would still b itch and moan.
    Ironic... don't you think? Are you not a poster that has a predictable flavor to your posts? Or is it that a critical fan is less of a fan than a giddy cheerleader fan? I'll pound this one point home for all of the giddy cheerleader Cajun fans out there... You would have absolutely nothing to cheer about at this university if it were not for the resident critics. Not... even... one... single... thing. I'm not just talking about his site. I'm talking about the internal workings of this university's athletic programs. If you think for one nanosecond we'd be paying what we now pay... or being as demanding of our coaching staffs... because YOU are a big cheerleader... you are WAY WAY off the mark.

    CajunMike, the best Cajuns basketball fan/poster on here knows VO very well. VO is a very very intelligent critic. He has been directly involved in Cajun athletics for decades. And just because he has a highly organized mind that views our scheduling tactics as below average... does not make him a noisy broken record.

    His posts bring out a very good discussion of what can be done, what cannot be done, and what the impacts of all scheduling decisions have on our program. He may not have the secret pill that will cure us... but he has a seriously valid set of arguments. You are far too intelligent to attack posters with third person sarcasm. Discuss your points with VO and Express. They are very intelligent men that do back the programs... and only want the best for UL. They come here to vent and challenge the establishment. The latter being the absolute ONLY reason Cajun athletics has seen a smidgen of improvement over the past decade.

  5. #125
    VObserver's Avatar
    VObserver is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Abbeville, LA
    Posts
    5,644

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragin4U View Post
    The WCC is a basketball conference. That's what they do. You are comparing apples to cannonballs.
    That is an excuse, not a reason. There is nothing stopping us from striving for excellence but the defeatist attitude of our basketball coaches, especially the ones who handle scheduling.

  6. #126
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,314

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    That is an excuse, not a reason. There is nothing stopping us from striving for excellence but the defeatist attitude of our basketball coaches, especially the ones who handle scheduling.
    I dont think its defeatist at all. It's reality.

  7. #127
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,314

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    Ironic... don't you think? Are you not a poster that has a predictable flavor to your posts? Or is it that a critical fan is less of a fan than a giddy cheerleader fan? I'll pound this one point home for all of the giddy cheerleader Cajun fans out there... You would have absolutely nothing to cheer about at this university if it were not for the resident critics. Not... even... one... single... thing. I'm not just talking about his site. I'm talking about the internal workings of this university's athletic programs. If you think for one nanosecond we'd be paying what we now pay... or being as demanding of our coaching staffs... because YOU are a big cheerleader... you are WAY WAY off the mark.

    CajunMike, the best Cajuns basketball fan/poster on here knows VO very well. VO is a very very intelligent critic. He has been directly involved in Cajun athletics for decades. And just because he has a highly organized mind that views our scheduling tactics as below average... does not make him a noisy broken record.

    His posts bring out a very good discussion of what can be done, what cannot be done, and what the impacts of all scheduling decisions have on our program. He may not have the secret pill that will cure us... but he has a seriously valid set of arguments. You are far too intelligent to attack posters with third person sarcasm. Discuss your points with VO and Express. They are very intelligent men that do back the programs... and only want the best for UL. They come here to vent and challenge the establishment. The latter being the absolute ONLY reason Cajun athletics has seen a smidgen of improvement over the past decade.
    BS--The same complaints over and over is not intelligent discourse. Its easy to say we want to bring in Wichita State, Valpo, etc. The reasons why its hard to do have been laid out but we still persist with the same tired argument. It doesnt take an intelligent poster to write "We want a better schedule". I think everyone does.
    What really seems to be the reason for the posts is to take continued shots at our basketball coach. Posters have a right to do that and I will continue to exercise my right to call it out 2 or 3 times a year.

  8. #128
    VObserver's Avatar
    VObserver is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Abbeville, LA
    Posts
    5,644

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragin4U View Post
    BS--The same complaints over and over is not intelligent discourse. Its easy to say we want to bring in Wichita State, Valpo, etc. The reasons why its hard to do have been laid out but we still persist with the same tired argument. It doesnt take an intelligent poster to write "We want a better schedule". I think everyone does.
    What really seems to be the reason for the posts is to take continued shots at our basketball coach. Posters have a right to do that and I will continue to exercise my right to call it out 2 or 3 times a year.
    No one has ever suggested we bring in any of those teams. We have suggested that we not play teams out of conference who are consistantly in the bottom third of division 1. La Tech, SFA, Texas Southern, New Mexico State and several others that Express and I have mentioned repeatedly should be scheduled instead of the dregs of division 1. All those teams have the same issues we have, and all should be amenable to playing us if properly approached.

  9. #129
    ZoomZoom's Avatar
    ZoomZoom is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    5,132

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    With most SBC teams down to 1 OCC game or none before conference starts, here's this morning's RPIs. UTA, who has played the most aggressive schedule rolls in leading at 75. Ga Southern is second at 90. Cajuns third at 186. Ga State 4th at 250, one of 6 in the 200s. The two Arkansas schools are 313 and 334. And Texas State drags everyone down at 343. And the league is 0 for against top 100.

    So if anyone wishes to explain how the SBC regular season champ, if upset in the SBC tournament, garners an at large, go ahead. Remember TWENTY SBC games.

    Until the LEAGUE collectively gets serious about basketball, this is what we face pretty much every year.

    We could win the next 3. Clemson would be a big boost, then immediately trashed by the two 300+ SBC games.


  10. #130
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Fort Bend County
    Posts
    1,105

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    No one has ever suggested we bring in any of those teams. We have suggested that we not play teams out of conference who are consistantly in the bottom third of division 1. La Tech, SFA, Texas Southern, New Mexico State and several others that Express and I have mentioned repeatedly should be scheduled instead of the dregs of division 1. All those teams have the same issues we have, and all should be amenable to playing us if properly approached.
    Exactly. There are 351 teams that play Division 1 men's basketball. Getting more of the top 200 and less of the bottom 150 leaves plenty of options. Lamar and Prairie View are 30 spots ahead of UL right now.

  11. #131
    ZoomZoom's Avatar
    ZoomZoom is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    5,132

    Default

    nm


  12. #132
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Fort Bend County
    Posts
    1,105

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    When the NCAA added the 65th team and the automatic NIT bid for regular season champs that lost their conference tournament, that closed a lot of doors. We can upgrade our OOC (which I'd love to see),but don't be naive enough to to think it will make a difference.
    What VO and several others are talking about is not improving RPI for an at-large bid, but for seeding if we get in. There's a huge difference between being a 12 or 13 seed and being a 14 or 15 seed. Unless youre just happy to be there.

  13. #133
    ZoomZoom's Avatar
    ZoomZoom is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    5,132

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    9 SBC teams as of today 250 or worse. Played twice? 18 games of embracing the suck. As a league we all need to upgrade.

    Seeding is a hard nut to crack. Past track record comes into play. That's where it takes everyone improving, where if someone gets upset, it's not a 16 seed or the dreaded play in joke.


  14. #134
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    South & East of Cajun Field
    Posts
    1,560

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    While there are teams that are "usually" in the top 100 in RPI, from a year to year basis, it's tough to know. I'm not making excuses, I'm just saying that even doing one's best to schedule top RPI clubs, one can still lay an egg once the season begins and those teams underperform.

    Agree with Zoomer, until the conference gets really serious about basketball, it's gonna be tough to raise our RPI with OOC only.


  15. #135
    VObserver's Avatar
    VObserver is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Abbeville, LA
    Posts
    5,644

    Ragin' Cajuns Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    nm
    Quit thinking at large bid. You are missing the point. Think RPI in the 40s or 50s. That garners an 11 or 12 seed and a much better chance of advancing in the Dance.

    And Zoom, UTA is currently at 58, GaSo at 60, UL at 154 per Warren Nolan who has always been closer to the NCAA numbers than anyone else. Two years ago Little Rock ended the season at 42. Last year UTA was 40. Don't tell me we can't approach those numbers as a member of the Sun Belt.

  16. #136
    ZoomZoom's Avatar
    ZoomZoom is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    5,132

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Ok u used Nolan. I used ESPN. Either way, UTA can run the table and they'd be on the outside looking in if they don't close the deal in the tournament.

    This is just another reason football better be ready to go when the deck gets reshuffled. Some will be left behind.


  17. #137
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Fort Bend County
    Posts
    1,105

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunfanatico View Post
    Agree with Zoomer, until the conference gets really serious about basketball, it's gonna be tough to raise our RPI with OOC only.
    True, but we can't really complain about it given our own schedule.

  18. #138
    VObserver's Avatar
    VObserver is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Abbeville, LA
    Posts
    5,644

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Ok u used Nolan. I used ESPN. Either way, UTA can run the table and they'd be on the outside looking in if they don't close the deal in the tournament.
    So what? If they win the tournament they are a 12 seed. If we win it we are a 15 or 16. Which of those gives us a better chance to win a game or two? Or are you happy just to get there once every 7 years?

  19. #139
    ZoomZoom's Avatar
    ZoomZoom is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    5,132

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunfanatico View Post
    While there are teams that are "usually" in the top 100 in RPI, from a year to year basis, it's tough to know. I'm not making excuses, I'm just saying that even doing one's best to schedule top RPI clubs, one can still lay an egg once the season begins and those teams underperform.

    Agree with Zoomer, until the conference gets really serious about basketball, it's gonna be tough to raise our RPI with OOC only.
    Who knew Pepperdine would be the walking dead a few games into last season, or Iowa being a stinker this year? Or even UTA two years ago lost their stud early on? Stuff happens.

  20. #140
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    OAK RIDGE, NC
    Posts
    3,870

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by CDeb View Post
    What VO and several others are talking about is not improving RPI for an at-large bid, but for seeding if we get in. There's a huge difference between being a 12 or 13 seed and being a 14 or 15 seed. Unless youre just happy to be there.
    C and V, I am with both of you about improving the RPI. I don't disagree with you at all. The issue I have is that I believe Coach Marlin tried to do that with the Cayman tournament and unfortunately it backfired.

    Look at this real quick, year end RPI of some of the team we have played vs current RPI:

    Iowa 83 last year, currently 194
    Richmond 72 last year, currently 263
    Mississippi 69 last year, currently 213
    UNO last year 162, currently 244

    I agree, lets remove at least one Non D1 and replace with a top 150 RPI D1 team and that would help.

    Good news is Iowa is starting to help us a little. They have won 3 in a row and moved back into the top 200, last night they beat a team with an RPI of 69, granted they have fallen to 94 by losing to Iowa. But Iowa has won their last 3 games by a combined 83 points. They have another big game Friday vs Colorado who has an RPI of 94. We need them to get back on the right track.

    That is a difference of 528 RPI spots by 4 teams from 16-17 to 17-18, or an average per team RPI drop of 132 spots.

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •