Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 396

Thread: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

  1. #101
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    8,452

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    I disagree that the three games in March view is bush league thinking. No. of mid majors that can earn at large bids under the current system is miniscule. That is a fact whether people want to face that reality or not. Therefore focus on the tournament is not misplaced. Also, I know they hope to be playing their best ball at that point. That means you are constantly trying to improve throughout the season. Of course the regular season is important for RPI purposes and you get to the NIT if you win the regular season. You also get better seeding in the tournament if you do well in the conference regular season. As far as being committed to top tier basketball, I guess we would need to be willing to pay 90 grand plus to get teams similar to us to come to the Dome for a buy in game. I can't comment on the feasibility of doing that as I don't know the financial details. As MAT said earlier, this discussion is moot at this point as nothing can be done about the schedule. Only thing we can do in the short term is support the guys this season.
    I think the 3 days in March concept is bush league. I think on the surface, this thinking bypasses the focus on winning your conference and just putting all your chips into the NCAA tournament qualifying. I want consistency. You talk about it as well. To me, you don't develop that with mediocre conference runs and then turning it up in the conference tourney to get a bid to the big dance. You can still raise a banner in the dome even if you don't make the tourney. I think we could do more for our brand by going out and being a consistent winner in conference and dominating. To me, this is a more difficult feat anyway and would impress me more than qualifying for the NCAA tourney.

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    South & East of Cajun Field
    Posts
    1,377

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Tough for a single team to do much to improve its lot in life as it relates to RPI when the conference in which it plays, as a whole, does not seem interested in basketball.


  3. #103
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    8,452

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunfanatico View Post
    Tough for a single team to do much to improve its lot in life as it relates to RPI when the conference in which it plays, as a whole, does not seem interested in basketball.
    At some point you have to put the best resume out there based on your schedule. That means going out and beating people. Win conference and make a name for yourself doing it. Beat people on the road. When your biggest "name" win is Iowa we need to improve that. Beating a team like Clemson would do these things for us. ____ting the bed twice against Ole Miss on the road is not how you show you mean business. These are the things that Marlin needs to build on.

  4. #104
    Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    6,251

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    At some point you have to put the best resume out there based on your schedule. That means going out and beating people. Win conference and make a name for yourself doing it. Beat people on the road. When your biggest "name" win is Iowa we need to improve that. Beating a team like Clemson would do these things for us. ____ting the bed twice against Ole Miss on the road is not how you show you mean business. These are the things that Marlin needs to build on.
    I agree the Ole Miss loss was very disappointing. Everyone in the program felt that was as well. A pre-season goal was stated to be to win the conference regular season. Everyone knows that is quite an accomplishment and a reward is the NIT if you stub your toe in the tournament. My point of the focus of the conference tournament was in regards to gaining access to the NCAA tournament. Clemson will be a big game but can't look past tonight's appointment or an embarrassment can occur.

  5. #105
    CajunEXPRESS's Avatar
    CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    13,413

    UL Basketball Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Who said anything about accepting mediocrity? I just accept reality which a few of you do not. Not just here, but virtually all the mid majors point to their conference tournament as the time to be playing their best ball. I also hope to be very good again (if not great) and perhaps we are making progress. No matter what we do, we won't get an at large in the current system as evidenced by Illinois State and for that matter UTA last year. Therefore, we just have to do it by consistently winning the tournament and having success in the Big Dance. I mentioned several reasons that success in the regular season is important in my previous posts and I stand by those. As far as scheduling goes, we would have to play virtually the entire non conference season on the road to be challenged sufficiently for some. The basketball staff, the great majority of the fan base, and the administration do not want to do that. The few of you that do won't change that policy. In fact there was an article in USA Today taking issue with many schools refusal to play on the road in non-conference. If you don't see that impacts us, you are just denying facts. Impact on academics is one reason we don't want to spend too much time on the road. Also, many thought that the road games and the Caymans tournament would challenge us. So far some of those have not done as well as predicted but it is still to be determined how good those teams will do as we are only 1/3 through the season. This discussion/argument has been around a long time and at this point little good comes from continuing it. Simply put, I KNOW that stronger schools (when I say stronger I don't mean SEC but good mid-majors) refusing to come play here is a problem and a FACT while some of you just choose to deny reality. I will say that the ideas VO had of playing schools like LA Tech twice in the same year and tying basketball games to football with NMSU are good ideas. However, I don't think Tech wants any part of that idea and who knows what NMSU wants. Let's just move on from here and support the team this year.
    So I'm not going to have a long rebuttal because actually you and I share the same things about basketball program, and working the iPhone is cumbersome.

    I'll leave this with you. I'm trying to highlight a better way,and the need to get to play 3 games in the NCAA. Any lucky bad team can get a ticket to 1 game in the NCAA by playing well 3 games in an entryway tournament. Playing cream puffs isn't setting yourself up to do either.

    Finally to the tired worn out classes missed argument? The team goulda played others than the UNO & SLU games without missing one moment of class. Could have played a more challenging pair of teams on the road, gotten paid enough to actually buy better games than Savanna State, improve RPI, and maybe pull of a brand building upset.

    VO & I certainly understand what is current reality, but prefer to seek what might be.

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,157

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    The positive is that when it comes to basketball posts, there are 2 or 3 posters that you can read one post and get the entire gist of ALL of their other posts. A real time saver.
    I go to games to watch My team. I would also like a better home schedule but the reality is that will be very tough to improve significantly for reasons that have been stated many times.
    I have the feeling Marlin could own Coach K and some would still b itch and moan.


  7. #107
    Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    6,251

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    So I'm not going to have a long rebuttal because actually you and I share the same things about basketball program, and working the iPhone is cumbersome.

    I'll leave this with you. I'm trying to highlight a better way,and the need to get to play 3 games in the NCAA. Any lucky bad team can get a ticket to 1 game in the NCAA by playing well 3 games in an entryway tournament. Playing cream puffs isn't setting yourself up to do either.

    Finally to the tired worn out classes missed argument? The team goulda played others than the UNO & SLU games without missing one moment of class. Could have played a more challenging pair of teams on the road, gotten paid enough to actually buy better games than Savanna State, improve RPI, and maybe pull of a brand building upset.

    VO & I certainly understand what is current reality, but prefer to seek what might be.
    Savannah State home game was tied to the Caymans tournament indirectly. It was not completely our choice as to which opponent we would buy for that game. Also, had we played two more road game and two less home games, we would have had only 13 home games and 18 away from home. Staff does not want to do that. What I would do is play one more money game and one less non D1 game. That would be 17 away from home and 14 at home. Considering we had three on neutral courts, that would still be a good mix. Of course the Loyola game is during finals week so you could not travel then and that is a good time for your non D1. Replacing the Louisiana College game with another contest on the Mississippi trip may have worked. That is behind us now. Looking forward, next year we have to return the three SLC home games of this year and we have Tech coming here. They are looking at an exempt tournament again similar to last year which involves some home contests that your have to pay something to host and some away games. Details of that still being worked out but I do know that the away games would involve some Power teams. This is also not a definite but I think it likely how the schedule will be completed. If it does, hopefully the teams which come here are decent but that won't be completely up to us. We cannot get out of going to McNeese, SLU, and UNO due to the contract. All three of those games should have good Cajun support at them. A big change in scheduling philosophy can't occur until the season after next.

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Slidell
    Posts
    510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Savannah State home game was tied to the Caymans tournament indirectly. It was not completely our choice as to which opponent we would buy for that game. Also, had we played two more road game and two less home games, we would have had only 13 home games and 18 away from home. Staff does not want to do that. What I would do is play one more money game and one less non D1 game. That would be 17 away from home and 14 at home. Considering we had three on neutral courts, that would still be a good mix. Of course the Loyola game is during finals week so you could not travel then and that is a good time for your non D1. Replacing the Louisiana College game with another contest on the Mississippi trip may have worked. That is behind us now. Looking forward, next year we have to return the three SLC home games of this year and we have Tech coming here. They are looking at an exempt tournament again similar to last year which involves some home contests that your have to pay something to host and some away games. Details of that still being worked out but I do know that the away games would involve some Power teams. This is also not a definite but I think it likely how the schedule will be completed. If it does, hopefully the teams which come here are decent but that won't be completely up to us. We cannot get out of going to McNeese, SLU, and UNO due to the contract. All three of those games should have good Cajun support at them. A big change in scheduling philosophy can't occur until the season after next.
    They need to pressure UNO to schedule that game on the same Saturday as the New Orleans bowl.

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    175

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    So I'm not going to have a long rebuttal because actually you and I share the same things about basketball program, and working the iPhone is cumbersome.

    I'll leave this with you. I'm trying to highlight a better way,and the need to get to play 3 games in the NCAA. Any lucky bad team can get a ticket to 1 game in the NCAA by playing well 3 games in an entryway tournament. Playing cream puffs isn't setting yourself up to do either.

    Finally to the tired worn out classes missed argument? The team goulda played others than the UNO & SLU games without missing one moment of class. Could have played a more challenging pair of teams on the road, gotten paid enough to actually buy better games than Savanna State, improve RPI, and maybe pull of a brand building upset.

    VO & I certainly understand what is current reality, but prefer to seek what might be.
    If you think the home schedule can be significantly improved, you're living back in the 80s. You and VO aren't trying to seek what might be. You're still remembering the good ol' days.

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    4,948

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunfanatico View Post
    Tough for a single team to do much to improve its lot in life as it relates to RPI when the conference in which it plays, as a whole, does not seem interested in basketball.
    I hear ya. Some just don't get it. The bulk of our RPI comes from conference play. We can play a top ten OOC schedule and win. But the belt drags us down.

  11. #111
    Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    6,251

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    If you think the home schedule can be significantly improved, you're living back in the 80s. You and VO aren't trying to seek what might be. You're still remembering the good ol' days.
    In the defense of Express, his last suggestion did not involve the home game issue, it involved playing more road games and less home games in order to improve RPI. So much so the balance would have been out of whack.

  12. #112
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    18,670
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    I hear ya. Some just don't get it. The bulk of our RPI comes from conference play. We can play a top ten OOC schedule and win. But the belt drags us down.
    Case in point

    Softball had the #1 RPI in the country. Out of conference.

    Conference play pulled the RPI down to 11.

    Sun Belt softball was stronger than Sun Belt basketball.

    I would contend that building an out of conference schedule that would allow for a #1 RPI in basketball would be impossible.

  13. #113
    VObserver's Avatar
    VObserver is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Abbeville, LA
    Posts
    5,350

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Case in point

    Softball had the #1 RPI in the country. Out of conference.

    Conference play pulled the RPI down to 11.

    Sun Belt softball was stronger than Sun Belt basketball.

    I would contend that building an out of conference schedule that would allow for a #1 RPI in basketball would be impossible.
    I am really glad that neither you nor any of the other doubters of the possibility to build a good RPI for UL basketball teach mathematics, statistical analysis or game theory here.

  14. #114
    Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    6,251

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    I am really glad that neither you nor any of the other doubters of the possibility to build a good RPI for UL basketball teach mathematics, statistical analysis or game theory here.
    If we played 11 non-conference road games against teams in the Top 20, I am not sure we would be No. 1 in the RPI because of the SBC. CUSA would be the same result. However, we would likely be in the Top 30 assuming we won a lot of conference games. What is virtually impossible is to have a strong RPI and and an equal no. of road and home games in today's environment.

  15. #115
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    18,670
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    I am really glad that neither you nor any of the other doubters of the possibility to build a good RPI for UL basketball teach mathematics, statistical analysis or game theory here.
    You focused on impossible, as if to say being #1 SOS/RPI is not impossible. Softball did it "once" no other sport can.

    However it is not impossible to to schedule a quality out of conference schedule.

  16. #116

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Well, it is nearly impossible.


  17. #117
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    16

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Just thought I'd remind you guys.
    Go support them.

    Sweet 16 or bust.
    I agree, but lets just make the TOURNEY first. #GeauxCajuns

  18. #118
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    16

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    We will once again be 3rd to 6th in a mediocre conference. You can be happy with that. I won't.
    You always stating how you feel, which I like, but what coaches do you like at UL and what is your favorite sport at the School.

  19. #119
    VObserver's Avatar
    VObserver is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Abbeville, LA
    Posts
    5,350

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    I hear ya. Some just don't get it. The bulk of our RPI comes from conference play. We can play a top ten OOC schedule and win. But the belt drags us down.
    Go check the RPI of the bottom half of the West Coast Conference over the last 5 years. That has not seemed to hurt Gonzaga or St. Mary's all that much.

  20. #120
    VObserver's Avatar
    VObserver is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Abbeville, LA
    Posts
    5,350

    Ragin' Cajuns Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunStrong View Post
    You always stating how you feel, which I like, but what coaches do you like at UL and what is your favorite sport at the School.
    I like the coaches who focus on the FACT that they can be relevant on the national stage instead of inventing excuses as to why they can't.

    So, I like Robichaux, even though I don't like watching his teams play, and I like the new hires in Softball and Football.

    My favorite sport (among the ones that are most popular) is basketball; which is exactly why I am so highly critical of Marlin and his defeatist attitude.

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •