Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 396

Thread: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

  1. #81
    VObserver's Avatar
    VObserver is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Abbeville, LA
    Posts
    5,350

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    I am a charter member of RCAF, and a long time season ticket holder in both football and basketball. I dropped both sets of tickets this year, football because Hud was still here and basketball because I am no longer willing to buy tickets to watch us play crappy teams out of conference. Most years my donation level in RCAF is All Cajun. This year that was reduced, but I plan to return to All Cajun next year.


  2. #82
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Posts
    159

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    I think November/December games will be better attended when we finish one year strong and start the next one the same way.
    Maybe a little bit, but we did not see it after we were in the NCAA tournament or when we were picked first in the sbc. Too much going on in Nov/Dec. Hopefully we have another meet and greet with the new football coach on Tue to bring a few more fans to the game.

  3. #83
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Posts
    159

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    I am a charter member of RCAF, and a long time season ticket holder in both football and basketball. I dropped both sets of tickets this year, football because Hud was still here and basketball because I am no longer willing to buy tickets to watch us play crappy teams out of conference. Most years my donation level in RCAF is All Cajun. This year that was reduced, but I plan to return to All Cajun next year.
    Got it.

  4. #84
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,742

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    I am a charter member of RCAF, and a long time season ticket holder in both football and basketball. I dropped both sets of tickets this year, football because Hud was still here and basketball because I am no longer willing to buy tickets to watch us play crappy teams out of conference. Most years my donation level in RCAF is All Cajun. This year that was reduced, but I plan to return to All Cajun next year.
    Vobserver, you definitely don't have to justify yourself to Drump or anyone, you have been around a lot longer than he has. Don't pay attention to his condescending ways.

  5. #85
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    954

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU View Post
    Vobserver, you definitely don't have to justify yourself to Drump or anyone, you have been around a lot longer than he has. Don't pay attention to his condescending ways.
    + 1

  6. #86
    CajunAmos's Avatar
    CajunAmos is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    5,802

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by TonaldDrump View Post
    We have more of a chance getting Duke or UNC to come to the Cajundome, which is no chance. I agree lsuambr would be a nice draw, I just don't see it happening.
    Oh I know. I was just saying there aren't many teams that by name only would increase our home attendance. We've had big names come in that didn't draw. I think basketball would have to be on a great winning streak that they can promote or consistent championship quality play over a number of years to gradually get out typical attendance up to 5K like it used to be.

  7. #87
    Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    6,251

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    I am a charter member of RCAF, and a long time season ticket holder in both football and basketball. I dropped both sets of tickets this year, football because Hud was still here and basketball because I am no longer willing to buy tickets to watch us play crappy teams out of conference. Most years my donation level in RCAF is All Cajun. This year that was reduced, but I plan to return to All Cajun next year.
    I do not comment on people's level of support (perhaps I did once) as what one does with their finances and time are deeply personal decisions and no one has to defend those to anyone. However, I wonder if anyone besides VObserver dropped their season tickets due to the schedule. I can say the Rebounders Club has some new members this season and the funds raised to date are at a record level from that support organization. As some drop support, others increase. All depends on where one is in their personal life.

  8. #88
    VObserver's Avatar
    VObserver is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Abbeville, LA
    Posts
    5,350

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Guys, football may drive the bus, but if we want our bus to take us to the AAC, we damn well better drastically improve our non conference basketball scheduling and dominate this conference that many of you claim is holding us down, because good basketball is important to the AAC.

    I am sure Bob Marlin is a great guy, and he recruits great young men, but his record here says he can't or won't raise our basketball program to the level that will make it a positive in realignment. That is a fact that cannot be disputed.


  9. #89
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    13,785

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    The truth of the matter is, both can be true. Charlie is right that scheduling is and has been an issue here for a long time. Others are right that scheduling for southern mid majors has become increasingly difficult over the past decade.

    Here's where we need to meet in the middle: The 2017 squad can play and should be taken seriously. Let's find a way to improve the home schedule while still supporting a deserving club in the mean time.


  10. #90
    CajunEXPRESS's Avatar
    CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    13,413

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by TonaldDrump View Post
    I agree with the scheduling part for RPI, but it will make little to no difference in attendance. Maybe Duke or UNC would bring local fans out and good crowds.

    I'm making all the games
    I can regardless if it's Duke, or Dillard. Attendance should be of very little consequence in scheduling at our level. The primary goal is to play teams that are challenging and improve our RPI for the sole purpose of getting to and advancing in the Big Dance. That matters regardless of the 3 games in March nonsense; which by the way is bush league thinking.

    VO is as committed financially as UL. Right now UL isn't committed to top tier basketball.

  11. #91
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Plano, TX
    Posts
    1,989
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    I'm making all the games
    I can regardless if it's Duke, or Dillard. Attendance should be of very little consequence in scheduling at our level. The primary goal is to play teams that are challenging and improve our RPI for the sole purpose of getting to and advancing in the Big Dance. That matters regardless of the 3 games in March nonsense; which by the way is bush league thinking.

    VO is as committed financially as UL. Right now UL isn't committed to top tier basketball.

  12. #92
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Youngsville, LA
    Posts
    3,932

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    I'm making all the games
    I can regardless if it's Duke, or Dillard. Attendance should be of very little consequence in scheduling at our level. The primary goal is to play teams that are challenging and improve our RPI for the sole purpose of getting to and advancing in the Big Dance. That matters regardless of the 3 games in March nonsense; which by the way is bush league thinking.

    VO is as committed financially as UL. Right now UL isn't committed to top tier basketball.
    I agree.

  13. #93
    Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    6,251

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    I'm making all the games
    I can regardless if it's Duke, or Dillard. Attendance should be of very little consequence in scheduling at our level. The primary goal is to play teams that are challenging and improve our RPI for the sole purpose of getting to and advancing in the Big Dance. That matters regardless of the 3 games in March nonsense; which by the way is bush league thinking.

    VO is as committed financially as UL. Right now UL isn't committed to top tier basketball.
    I disagree that the three games in March view is bush league thinking. No. of mid majors that can earn at large bids under the current system is miniscule. That is a fact whether people want to face that reality or not. Therefore focus on the tournament is not misplaced. Also, I know they hope to be playing their best ball at that point. That means you are constantly trying to improve throughout the season. Of course the regular season is important for RPI purposes and you get to the NIT if you win the regular season. You also get better seeding in the tournament if you do well in the conference regular season. As far as being committed to top tier basketball, I guess we would need to be willing to pay 90 grand plus to get teams similar to us to come to the Dome for a buy in game. I can't comment on the feasibility of doing that as I don't know the financial details. As MAT said earlier, this discussion is moot at this point as nothing can be done about the schedule. Only thing we can do in the short term is support the guys this season.

  14. #94
    CajunEXPRESS's Avatar
    CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    13,413

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Well I'm sorry about bush league. What it is Mike is accepting your mediocre status. Nobody is suggesting we can get to the dance without the three games in
    March, but have you actually given in and accepting mediocrity? I still have hopes of being very good again. You're never going to advance purposely scheduling to win instead of getting challenged. Your talent will never improve enough without truly striving to be good enough to deserve an at large even when you're discriminated against. But we don't have that argument. Haven't felt a long time.


  15. #95
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    4,948

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    How many times has the SBC gotten an at large since 2000? Past conference history contributes to seeding.


  16. #96
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    1,865

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    OK, we get it Charlie, you don't like the scheduling.

    Attached Images Attached Images  

  17. #97
    Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    6,251

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Well I'm sorry about bush league. What it is Mike is accepting your mediocre status. Nobody is suggesting we can get to the dance without the three games in
    March, but have you actually given in and accepting mediocrity? I still have hopes of being very good again. You're never going to advance purposely scheduling to win instead of getting challenged. Your talent will never improve enough without truly striving to be good enough to deserve an at large even when you're discriminated against. But we don't have that argument. Haven't felt a long time.
    Who said anything about accepting mediocrity? I just accept reality which a few of you do not. Not just here, but virtually all the mid majors point to their conference tournament as the time to be playing their best ball. I also hope to be very good again (if not great) and perhaps we are making progress. No matter what we do, we won't get an at large in the current system as evidenced by Illinois State and for that matter UTA last year. Therefore, we just have to do it by consistently winning the tournament and having success in the Big Dance. I mentioned several reasons that success in the regular season is important in my previous posts and I stand by those. As far as scheduling goes, we would have to play virtually the entire non conference season on the road to be challenged sufficiently for some. The basketball staff, the great majority of the fan base, and the administration do not want to do that. The few of you that do won't change that policy. In fact there was an article in USA Today taking issue with many schools refusal to play on the road in non-conference. If you don't see that impacts us, you are just denying facts. Impact on academics is one reason we don't want to spend too much time on the road. Also, many thought that the road games and the Caymans tournament would challenge us. So far some of those have not done as well as predicted but it is still to be determined how good those teams will do as we are only 1/3 through the season. This discussion/argument has been around a long time and at this point little good comes from continuing it. Simply put, I KNOW that stronger schools (when I say stronger I don't mean SEC but good mid-majors) refusing to come play here is a problem and a FACT while some of you just choose to deny reality. I will say that the ideas VO had of playing schools like LA Tech twice in the same year and tying basketball games to football with NMSU are good ideas. However, I don't think Tech wants any part of that idea and who knows what NMSU wants. Let's just move on from here and support the team this year.

  18. #98
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Metairie,LA
    Posts
    3,293

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Great analysis CajunMike! Best basketball post of 2017.


  19. #99
    Boomer's Avatar
    Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    18,785

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    So you have nothing to contribute here which refutes my assertions regarding scheduling? Not to resort to Boomer isms, but those who have no counter to an argument in a debate resort to attacking the person making the argument. Ad hominum, if you will.

    Nowhere have I said we don't have a good team. I have only said that we can't tell whether we are really good or just better than the teams we have beaten; and that if we do have a really good team, our scheduling is doing them a disservice by dooming them to an RPI that will give us a 15 or 16 seed in the tournament if we get in, when minor changes in scheduling philosophy could yield a seeding of 10-12, which in turn gives us a much better chance to make a run in the Dance.
    ......Vob, my buddy, if you are going to use me as a reference please get the correct Latin......AD Hominem! However,it's use is quite fitting in this instance!!!

  20. #100
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    8,452

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    Guys, football may drive the bus, but if we want our bus to take us to the AAC, we damn well better drastically improve our non conference basketball scheduling and dominate this conference that many of you claim is holding us down, because good basketball is important to the AAC.

    I am sure Bob Marlin is a great guy, and he recruits great young men, but his record here says he can't or won't raise our basketball program to the level that will make it a positive in realignment. That is a fact that cannot be disputed.
    I agree with these statements which is why I've grown as frustrated with Marlin as any here.

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •