_ _ _ _
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast
Results 361 to 380 of 396

Thread: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

  1. #361
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,296

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    I don't understNd the arguement here. Is there anyone who doesn't want to win the regular season title, and the tournament and go dancing? Are we approaching the season in some flawed manner where we aren't trying to win every game?

    We need to schedule stronger OOC, not sure there is even much disagreement there. Just about how difficult that may or may not be.


  2. #362
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,314

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Let's say you're 3/7 in non conferenc, and 4/14 in conference play. You're either a bad team or a hurting team. Let's assume you win 3 or four in a tournament to get to the NCAA. We can say with confidence lucky isn't only thing, but you're probably not turning things around.


    Being good requires some level of consistabsy at playing well. So that team isn't technically luck, but probably isn't good either.
    No real argument from me just that "luck" may just be getting hot at the right time. I would rather we luck into three games in March than in January. Remember, other teams can have "luck" too.

  3. #363
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,314

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Rare but yes, if you spot one they are sometimes called National Champs.
    This is absolutely correct. Every team needs a break or two to go their way, no matter how good they are.

  4. #364
    ZoomZoom's Avatar
    ZoomZoom is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    5,132

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragin4U View Post
    No real argument from me just that "luck" may just be getting hot at the right time. I would rather we luck into three games in March than in January. Remember, other teams can have "luck" too.
    Now that UTA stumbled out to an 0-2 start, let me be the first to call them "the team I'd hate to see a tournament time".

  5. #365
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,314

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Now that UTA stumbled out to an 0-2 start, let me be the first to call them "the team I'd hate to see a tournament time".
    There is no way they are as bad as they looked the last two games. Hervey and Neal will get it going sooner or later.

  6. #366
    Just1More's Avatar
    Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    16,031
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    I don't understNd the arguement here. Is there anyone who doesn't want to win the regular season title, and the tournament and go dancing? Are we approaching the season in some flawed manner where we aren't trying to win every game?

    We need to schedule stronger OOC, not sure there is even much disagreement there. Just about how difficult that may or may not be.
    I agree. Some in this thread are confusing... or deliberately combining some argument of what final season and post season outcomes are best for the Cajuns... and what our "goals" are. I think our goal is to make every basket and stop the other guy from making a basket. I still cannot figure out what people are talking about in the "goal" and "focus" department... that would achieve an outcome above trying to win every game.

    I do agree with scheduling being an issue (or an argument of multiple issues in D1 MBB)... and RPI (related issue)... and seeding (related issue)... and respect/ranking/attractiveness to another conference... and so on.

    But I disagree that there's some "goal" when start, get in the middle of, or finish a season that isn't all about winning. The regular season, conference championship titles... and whatever post season happens... are outcomes based on your resultant goal of winning.

  7. #367
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    3,609

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Localyokel View Post
    I'm looking at it from a fan's perspective. I feel like winning a couple of games in the NIT would be much more fun than a 1 and done.

    Also, the exposure from an NCAA birth only materializes after winning a game. Can you remember any 13-16 seeds from last year's tournament that didn't win? I can't.

    Now, don't get me wrong, I'd love for the Cajuns to win the tournament and make the big dance.
    From a fans perspective, you must not have gone to our last NCAA game in San Antonio. The feel in the arena, especially when the game was still close late in 2nd half, can not be replicated by a second rate tournament.

  8. #368
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    South & East of Cajun Field
    Posts
    1,560

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragin4U View Post
    There is no way they are as bad as they looked the last two games. Hervey and Neal will get it going sooner or later.
    I've seen a couple of their fans comment that they think "something's up" with that program, like some sort of underlying problem that's not being disclosed. Time will tell.

  9. #369
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    South & East of Cajun Field
    Posts
    1,560

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by duggie85 View Post
    From a fans perspective, you must not have gone to our last NCAA game in San Antonio. The feel in the arena, especially when the game was still close late in 2nd half, can not be replicated by a second rate tournament.
    Can we call the NIT a second tier tournament? It just feels right because it's a tournament of champions for the most part, as compared to the pay-to-play tournaments. Those are indeed second rate.

  10. #370
    BeauCajun's Avatar
    BeauCajun is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Erath, La.
    Posts
    6,651

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by duggie85 View Post
    From a fans perspective, you must not have gone to our last NCAA game in San Antonio. The feel in the arena, especially when the game was still close late in 2nd half, can not be replicated by a second rate tournament.
    I was there also. Definitely something special for our team and fans. Hopefully I can experience that again soon.

  11. #371
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    2,929

    UL Basketball Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Cajuns are now the only Sun Belt team in the top 100 rpi rankings.

    http://web1.ncaa.org/app_data/weekly...18MBBrpi1.html

    --- Division I Only


    Rank Prev Rank Name Conf W-L Road Neut Home Non-Div I
    83 95 Louisiana Sun Belt 12-3 4-2 2-1 4-0 2-0
    111 103 Ga. Southern Sun Belt 10-5 4-4 2-1 2-0 2-0
    147 119 UT Arlington Sun Belt 9-6 3-5 1-0 4-1 1-0
    200 187 Georgia St. Sun Belt 9-6 4-4 1-1 2-1 2-0
    220 247 South Ala. Sun Belt 8-6 0-5 2-0 5-1 1-0
    253 275 Appalachian St. Sun Belt 7-8 0-6 1-2 4-0 2-0
    262 224 Coastal Caro. Sun Belt 7-8 1-2 2-1 1-5 3-0
    271 290 Troy Sun Belt 7-8 1-4 1-2 3-2 2-0
    300 310 Little Rock Sun Belt 4-11 0-7 0-0 3-3 1-1
    301 297 Arkansas St. Sun Belt 6-9 1-7 0-0 3-2 2-0
    314 289 La.-Monroe Sun Belt 6-7 0-6 0-0 3-1 3-0
    320 339 Texas St. Sun Belt 8-7 3-5 1-1 2-1 2-0


  12. #372
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Slidell
    Posts
    565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by duggie85 View Post
    From a fans perspective, you must not have gone to our last NCAA game in San Antonio. The feel in the arena, especially when the game was still close late in 2nd half, can not be replicated by a second rate tournament.
    I argree, nothing compares to the big dance. I wasn't there in San Antonio but I was in Nashville in 05. We are pretty much at the point where for a mid major to get a chance to dance they have to win the conference tournament. That doesn't mean that winning the regular season championship isn't important, of course that should be the goal and that should also put you in the best spot going into the conference tourney. However winning the conference tournament to get in, without being regular season champs doesn't necessarily mean you "lucked" your way into the NCAA. I get that argument for a team hovering around .500 that gets hot and makes a run. However, even in the Sun Belt a team that wins 20+ and goes into the conference tournament as a 2-4 seed and wins it, is not lucky but a quality basketball team that took care of business at the right time.
    That's the same reason I'm ok with playing in the CIT. A team that can win 20+ and be near the top of the conference but come up short in the conference tourney is probably good enough to go deep in the CIT, and maybe win it. So why not do it? Let the boys play and practice for a few more weeks, and support them while they try to make a run.

  13. #373
    ZoomZoom's Avatar
    ZoomZoom is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    5,132

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunfanatico View Post
    Can we call the NIT a second tier tournament? It just feels right because it's a tournament of champions for the most part, as compared to the pay-to-play tournaments. Those are indeed second rate.
    Does the NIT crown the national champion like the NCAA? Nope. It might have more name recognition, but it just has more t*** polish on it that the other non NCAA NC tournaments.

  14. #374
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    9,052

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by Localyokel View Post
    I'd rather a deep run in the NIT with a possible home game or 2 vs a one and done in the NCAA.
    These scenarios are all what ifs. I hate to speculate like this because its like you are saying it has to be one or the other or like any of these scenarios will actually pan out. Nobody knows for sure. My feelings on this are in response to some that claim that the most important games are the 3 played in the conference tourney in order to secure a spot in the NCAA. While it may be that way for some and since we appear to be a one bid league for the NCAA it seems to make sense. However, like I've said a dozen times already, I don't feel that builds a program. We always mention some of the well known mid majors out there and how we strive to be like them well they did it by building something. Simply winning the conference tourney, getting a 15 or 16 seed and losing in the first round of the NCAA is not the way to build your program and I don't really see how it gets us any more exposure.

    Kids want to play for a good program. Recruiting is helped by having schools that can consistently win. I think this can enhance scheduling as well as we wouldn't be RPI killers to bigger schools who may be interested in playing us. A focus on winning conference and actually doing it build a winning culture that can carry on from year to year.

    The comments about the NIT need to be clarified. Not saying that I would rather it over the NCAA any given year. The scenario was thrown out by someone that they'd take 1 NCAA tourney over 3 straight NIT's right now and I disagreed. That would mean that we would have won conference 3 years straight but maybe missed out on the automatic bid. Winning conference 3 years straight would make my point about building a consistent winner. How many times across the country do you see any particular team win conference 3 years straight? Its a great accomplishment considering the length of the conference schedules these days. That would also show that it helped you in recruiting since you had the players to do it over that long a period of time. The NIT would also give you very good national TV exposure as well with playing hopefully more games than just 1 at Noon on a Thursday in the NCAA.

  15. #375
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    9,052

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by GeauxLouisiana View Post
    How did those consecutive regular season titles and NIT appearances help LA Tech a few years ago?
    How did that last random NCAA tournament appearance help us?

  16. #376
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    9,052

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by TonaldDrump View Post
    The NIT is for small minded people. NO one remembers who played in the NIT. If you want your coach to move on because he brought your team to the NIT why even play basketball. The goal is to get to the big dance, everything else is just a hoe down.
    You are small minded because you are unwilling to read and listen to what people have to say. All these pages of posts and all you got out of it is that we want to go to the NIT over the NCAA? That is not it. That was actually a scenario that was thrown out there by one of your buddies likely. That turned into a debate that we are at now. I won't rehash it but I'll let you go back an read the posts.

  17. #377
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    9,052

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    What would the higher ups do differently with a different stated set of goals? Do you mean scheduling (I see no conference change option)? Aside from scheduling... do you think there's a deliberate change in approach (player development, coaching specifics, etc) during the season... based on a specific "focus" over a different "focus"?
    I think that in recent years, the purpose of the regular season was to improve on a steady path that would have us peaking come tournament time so we are at our best. We've seen so many conference games where the team just didn't show up and we'd lose to opponents we are supposed to beat etc. that it makes you think were we specifically focused on winning the conference regular season. If the coach has this philosophy and is openly admitting it I believe the players grab on to it as well and there is less success. Winning the conference regular season is a grind. It takes focus, talent and a little luck from time to time. Its hard to have that focus when you have the conference tournament in the back of your mind the whole time.

  18. #378
    CajunEXPRESS's Avatar
    CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    13,997

    UL Basketball Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Yes to all of the above by Zephyr.

    We as fans from a fans point of view should accept what Zephyr is preaching, and quit muddying the water with nonsense.


  19. #379
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,296

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    I never played a college sport. I was a wanna-be high school athlete, who played whatever they would let me on the team to play, usually poorly. But I hate losing anything. Trivial Pursuit, dominoes, basketball pick up games....anything. I find it inconceivable that college athletes don't try to win every game they are in. If it's so, I want a whole new bunch of athletes to go with the new coach. Working in a coal mine is a grind. Playing basketball when you are in your early 20's is fun.

    I'm not disagreeing that what you are saying is true. It just goes against everything I believe about competitors.


  20. #380
    Just1More's Avatar
    Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    16,031
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Meanwhile, Cajuns have the best basketball team in LA

    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    I think that in recent years, the purpose of the regular season was to improve on a steady path that would have us peaking come tournament time so we are at our best. We've seen so many conference games where the team just didn't show up and we'd lose to opponents we are supposed to beat etc. that it makes you think were we specifically focused on winning the conference regular season. If the coach has this philosophy and is openly admitting it I believe the players grab on to it as well and there is less success. Winning the conference regular season is a grind. It takes focus, talent and a little luck from time to time. Its hard to have that focus when you have the conference tournament in the back of your mind the whole time.
    That's a good explanation. And your extremely long 3 paragraph post prior was also a very good closing summary of this thread.

    One of the reasons that threads like this one linger on and on is due to the extremely limited statements of certain posters. Without context, these back and forth and back and forth strings of misunderstandings and misrepresentations occur. I think that's what a lot of posters like. They don't want 6 sentences that pull together an answer. Very limited attention spans (or slow reading skills) require a "Trump tweet"... so that nothing of substance can be misrepresented by another statement of no substance.

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •